{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

We've been here before.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: We've been here before.

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:37 am

Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:I would say the minimum requirement in his first season was to make the play-offs, given the position we were in. His second season the objective was definitely promotion.

It wasn't his second season though was it.... 12 games of one, then one preseason and full season. Its not two seasons, never was never will be no matter how you try and phrase it.

It doesn't make a difference, it was just a way of phrasing it. His objective for those 12 games of his first season was play-offs minimum. No matter how you try and phrase it. His objective for the second season he had been involved in, and first full season, was promotion.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:51 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:I would say the minimum requirement in his first season was to make the play-offs, given the position we were in. His second season the objective was definitely promotion.

It wasn't his second season though was it.... 12 games of one, then one preseason and full season. Its not two seasons, never was never will be no matter how you try and phrase it.

It doesn't make a difference, it was just a way of phrasing it. His objective for those 12 games of his first season was play-offs minimum. No matter how you try and phrase it. His objective for the second season he had been involved in, and first full season, was promotion.

Yes and those expectations/ objectives are ridiculous and the reason we won't succeed with this model.

12 games, players down tools because Evans leave... come in and implement your way of playing and get them over the line... not realistic.

In one season, build your own squad big and good enough to sustain your way of playing for the entire year whilst aiming for top 3 minimum, oh you have to do so with 5/6 players you cant get rid off. Another unrealistic expectation but one we were only 90 mins away from achieving.. and sacked the manager who got us so close and now were a million miles away because we couldn't see any sense.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:56 am

Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Yes and those expectations/ objectives are ridiculous and the reason we won't succeed with this model.

12 games, players down tools because Evans leave... come in and implement your way of playing and get them over the line... not realistic.

In one season, build your own squad big and good enough to sustain your way of playing for the entire year whilst aiming for top 3 minimum, oh you have to do so with 5/6 players you cant get rid off. Another unrealistic expectation but one we were only 90 mins away from achieving.. and sacked the manager who got us so close and now were a million miles away because we couldn't see any sense.

I'm assuming he knew the objectives when he took the job. As I say, whether you feel the objectives were realistic or not is up to you.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:24 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

I'm assuming he knew the objectives when he took the job. As I say, whether you feel the objectives were realistic or not is up to you.

Shouldn't be up to me, the club needs to do better in this department. Set realistic targets, and build for the long term... its been ill thought short term for the past three years. Hopefully Coughlan is the end of that.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:17 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Shouldn't be up to me, the club needs to do better in this department. Set realistic targets, and build for the long term... its been ill thought short term for the past three years. Hopefully Coughlan is the end of that.[/quote]

That I agree with. The recruitment is a shambles, the club have no idea about analytics or anything of that nature. We're very much a 'Manager runs the club' type of club, which some will say is a good thing, but it doesn't match up with a long term mentality.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:31 pm

The One wrote:Our form from a year ago , for me it started Notts away was garbage under DF. The stats do not lie.

But we won the next two games straight after County
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:33 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Shouldn't be up to me, the club needs to do better in this department. Set realistic targets, and build for the long term... its been ill thought short term for the past three years. Hopefully Coughlan is the end of that.[/quote]

That I agree with. The recruitment is a shambles, the club have no idea about analytics or anything of that nature. We're very much a 'Manager runs the club' type of club, which some will say is a good thing, but it doesn't match up with a long term mentality.[/quote]

Exactly.. managers come and go but the clubs transfer policy and way of playing should always stay the same.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:44 pm

I don’t agree that the expectation/objective of reaching the playoffs for Flitcrofts first 12 games was ridiculous at all considering the position we were in when he joined and the brilliant run of form we had just been on under Evans. Reaching the playoffs that season should have been comfortable. We only managed 2 wins in those 12 games and finished just 3 points off, even if we were average we’d have made it.

All water under the bridge now anyway
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:10 am

BH_Stag wrote:I don’t agree that the expectation/objective of reaching the playoffs for Flitcrofts first 12 games was ridiculous at all considering the position we were in when he joined and the brilliant run of form we had just been on under Evans. Reaching the playoffs that season should have been comfortable. We only managed 2 wins in those 12 games and finished just 3 points off, even if we were average we’d have made it.

All water under the bridge now anyway
Maybe they should have installed John Dempster as caretaker manager when the "Scottish manager" followed his dream of a job in "China".

It's quite possible JD would have kept things the same and the momentum alone would have seen us over the line.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:25 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Personally think it does mate, saying '2nd season' implies 1st season is far more than just 12 games. Also look at the 3 teams affected by the Evans/Flitcroft incident & how they all failed - that smacks of it being far more than just a gaffer bottling it

Agree on the surface it looked bad, but I prefer to examine why. Anyway, all consigned to the chip wrappers now bud ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum