{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

It's starting already

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: It's starting already

Postby victor A block » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:56 am

Assuming we can muster more points by season end than Stevenage and GC gets his summer rebuild, who do we have under contract left for next season ?
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby sw19stag » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:20 am

Rob wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
Spiritater wrote:After 8 months of training for 3 hours a day 5 days a week I beg to differ. They just have weak mindset, prevalent from this time last year.

It's the quality of that training that's the issue. We have been 2nd best to most sides this season.

I can say I train for 60 minutes each day walking to work. Don't mean I don't start bowling out my rear end if I have to run to not miss the tram.

You get out what you put in when it comes to training. Either Dempster had a poor regimine or the players had a poor attitude (or a mixture of both) meaning not enough went in and we aren't getting enough out. If it is a poor attitude then Dempster should have noticed it early and stamped it out.

Let's be honest here spiro, if it was mindset don't you think Drewe Broughton would have at least helped? Say what you will about his time here but he's a well respected guy and good at helping players.

You can have the right mindset but if you haven't got the physical fitness to keep up you get left behind. The point of pre season is pushing the players hard on their base fitness. Improving it as much as possible so when they do fitness work in season they are maintaining that high base. Attempting to improve that base in the middle of the season leads to overtraining which is not something we want because it has a high injury risk, how many muscle strains have we had? Rose and Macca immediately spring to mind, how many did we have last season?

You could argue that this is why we faded at the end of last season, we started to burn out and didn't have the squad depth to allow players to rest for a few games.

Making Sunday league errors all season long isn't down to fitness, it's because you're crap. Macc, Morecambe Stevenage aren't down there with us because they had a poor pre season, they're down there cos they're crap like us.

Spot on, not only that but the responsibility for physical fitness simply has to sit with the players themselves. Personally I don't buy this fitness excuse at all, not for one minute. It's the same crap trotted out by new managers every time. If you as a professional footballer are not fit enough to do your job then you are not fit enough to do your job - no use blaming the manager, its your job fgs. I don't think our form has anything to do with fitness whatsoever, it has to do with morale, mindset, tactics, style and a general confusion about what we are. JD had no plan, no template, no way of playing - gooseberry all to do with fitness. So far. GC is the same, no plan, no tactics, no plan B, poor signings and an horrific start to his career as our manager, horrific. Lets hope we stay up and he gets chance to stamp his mark on the club in the summer, whatever that might entail. For now, I'd rather we'd have stuck with a a manager who had a plan, had a style of play, had the respect of the players and who had us challenging for promotion all season. Not rocket science is it?

I agree. Maybe not completely re; DF but the rest, absolutely.
sw19stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:02 am

Rob, spire. How do you explain the previous 2 or 3 seasons then? If we are so crap how did they go 12th, 8th then 4th? If they are as crap as you say Evans shouldn't have been able to mount a strong play off challenge and Flitcroft shouldn't have got us making an automatic promotion challenge, with all the clean sheets and decent football if the players are crap?

Are you seriously suggesting that it's a coincidence that we're are making stupid error whilst only being able to perform for half a game? You are correct it's not rocket science, it's right in front of your eyes. It's the players responsibility to maintain a certain degree of fitness in the close season ready for 3 or so weeks of intense training. You don't do enough in those 3 weeks and you will struggle.

Get out of the 70s/80s mindset of players having a pre match beer and a fag. You have to be in tip top condition to succeed in the modern game. Where fitness is managed and moderated by the club. Fitness is an increasingly important part of the game. Get it wrong and it goes wrong.

I'm not saying it's exclusive but morale takes a drop if you are losing games because you can't keep up with the opposition, you can't concentrate as effectively and make Sunday league errors.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:15 am

victor A block wrote:Assuming we can muster more points by season end than Stevenage and GC gets his summer rebuild, who do we have under contract left for next season ?

Very few that we know officially :

Sweeney
Gordon
Clarke
Knowles
Cook

I think that's all off the top of my head. there was a thread where I went through each player but can't remember which it was.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:09 am

gazza1988 wrote:Rob, spire. How do you explain the previous 2 or 3 seasons then? If we are so crap how did they go 12th, 8th then 4th? If they are as crap as you say Evans shouldn't have been able to mount a strong play off challenge and Flitcroft shouldn't have got us making an automatic promotion challenge, with all the clean sheets and decent football if the players are crap?

Are you seriously suggesting that it's a coincidence that we're are making stupid error whilst only being able to perform for half a game? You are correct it's not rocket science, it's right in front of your eyes. It's the players responsibility to maintain a certain degree of fitness in the close season ready for 3 or so weeks of intense training. You don't do enough in those 3 weeks and you will struggle.

Get out of the 70s/80s mindset of players having a pre match beer and a fag. You have to be in tip top condition to succeed in the modern game. Where fitness is managed and moderated by the club. Fitness is an increasingly important part of the game. Get it wrong and it goes wrong.

I'm not saying it's exclusive but morale takes a drop if you are losing games because you can't keep up with the opposition, you can't concentrate as effectively and make Sunday league errors.

And Macc, Morecambe n Stevenage? How was their pre season. How was Clownty's last year?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:26 am

Spiritater wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Rob, spire. How do you explain the previous 2 or 3 seasons then? If we are so crap how did they go 12th, 8th then 4th? If they are as crap as you say Evans shouldn't have been able to mount a strong play off challenge and Flitcroft shouldn't have got us making an automatic promotion challenge, with all the clean sheets and decent football if the players are crap?

And Macc, Morecambe n Stevenage? How was their pre season. How was Clownty's last year?

None of them went on a Portugal pre season jolly up with a novice manager.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:32 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
victor A block wrote:Assuming we can muster more points by season end than Stevenage and GC gets his summer rebuild, who do we have under contract left for next season ?

Sweeney
Gordon
Clarke
Knowles
Cook

I think that's all off the top of my head. there was a thread where I went through each player but can't remember which it was.

Id be happy to keep those and sell cook. Try and hang on to Maynard, possibly CJ Pearce... thats about it.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby nick_stags » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:54 am

Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Sweeney
Gordon
Clarke
Knowles
Cook

Id be happy to keep those and sell cook. Try and hang on to Maynard, possibly CJ Pearce... thats about it.

I'd agree with that, add White in too if he can get back fit.

Get rid of the rest and let GC do his thing.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:32 am

nick_stags wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Sweeney
Gordon
Clarke
Knowles
Cook

Agreed. As well as the 5 under contract, try and keep Maynard, Pearce, CJ and White if he can manage to get through a decent amount of games for the rest of this season.

I do however think Maynard will want to leave. Despite a very good goals return from him so far, I’m not sure he will have confidence in GC to form a side that will play to his strengths. He’s been visibly frustrated for most of this season. Plus I think he’ll have several slightly more attractive league two sides that will be interested in his services.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:13 pm

Spiritater wrote:

They are struggling just the same as always. They are where they are expected to be, bottom half. We aren't, now that's not a "we have a top 3 budget so should be top 3" thing. With the players we have we should be further up the table than we are now. I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt over fitness because of Demps' inexperience, but Coughlan, who has 12 years experience in coaching alone can't do owt with them either.

Clownty, I have no idea. I don't watch them, Dan would be a better person to ask. I'd assume that off the field issues with Hardy affected the players
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:44 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
nick_stags wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Sweeney
Gordon
Clarke
Knowles
Cook

Agreed. As well as the 5 under contract, try and keep Maynard, Pearce, CJ and White if he can manage to get through a decent amount of games for the rest of this season.

I do however think Maynard will want to leave. Despite a very good goals return from him so far, I’m not sure he will have confidence in GC to form a side that will play to his strengths. He’s been visibly frustrated for most of this season. Plus I think he’ll have several slightly more attractive league two sides that will be interested in his services.

I am surprised he ( Maynard) wasn't on a 2 year deal when he signed. ??
If some of the rumours are true about his salary level, I doubt many other League 2 clubs would afford him.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:23 pm

The length of Maynard's deal was never announced by the club.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:25 pm

I think it's very much likely he got at least a two year deal.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:35 pm

Conker wrote:I think it's very much likely he got at least a two year deal.

That was my thought as well, but a couple of people on here said they knew it was a one year deal.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:33 am

Given Maynard’s age I doubt it would be less than a two year deal he’d want. He’d be looking for a longer deal than one year imo.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:59 am

nick_stags wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Sweeney
Gordon
Clarke
Knowles
Cook

Harsh on Macca. For all that people like getting on his back, he's a decent player. We saw how good he can be under Evans and Flitcroft. This season his decision making has been below expectations but whenever he has played he has been visible. He tries and gets involved. Never shirks his duties. One of very few who cares with the right attitude. Reminds me of how Murray used to play. We need leaders and he is one.

Definitely keep Alex Macdonald
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:03 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:
nick_stags wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Sweeney
Gordon
Clarke
Knowles
Cook

Harsh on Macca. For all that people like getting on his back, he's a decent player. We saw how good he can be under Evans and Flitcroft. This season his decision making has been below expectations but whenever he has played he has been visible. He tries and gets involved. Never shirks his duties. One of very few who cares with the right attitude. Reminds me of how Murray used to play. We need leaders and he is one.

Definitely keep Alex Macdonald

Fair assessment of him, would be worth keeping because I think he does like playing for this club and isn't just here for a wage. He cried when he came back from injury and scored against cheltenham was it? he does care. But our best spell of last season he was out injured and not involved.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby marksay » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:26 am

The reality of the situation has been caused by a very stubborn board not allowing the release of JD in October. The appointment was a suicidal decision for a club that had spent so much on players . It needed an experienced manager and this would have gotten respect from the players and we would now be promoted. However we are in this mire with a manager who is fitness driven and has a mountain to climb. If funds are made available for GC why cant we get a couple of high end loan players from Rangers or similar .This to me would stop the nerves in general and give us something to be less nervy about
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby jimdadstag » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:36 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
West Ham 1969 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:It would be ludicrous to sack the manager, despite the poor results.

It will take time to turn this around.

Hopefully we will finish 23rd.

But you need the necessary experience, ability, skill to do it...has GC got this? Record to date doesn’t endorse this. See above post re Cambridge...plus look at Grimsby.

Kept Bristol Rovers up... hes done it before and he'll do it again with us

Don't think it'll be Mr Coughlan who will keep us up but the vagaries of this league,this season.
Too many other teams in financial difficulties.
I'm sure Macc get another slap in the coming weeks and Oldham seem to be in the she-ite,so we'll be 'safe'.........but for how long?
Its only my opinion,deal with it!
jimdadstag
First Team
First Team

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum