{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Jack Evans

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Jack Evans

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:10 am

Does anyone know why he’s not playing?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Re: Evans

Postby west country stag » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:12 am

The manager is not selecting him for a first team slot for whatever reason .
He surely cant be any worse in our midfield than Bishop & Tomlinson .
I say if he's fit enough & with his pedigree , get him in asap
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:44 am

This one is a bit of a puzzle.

The lad obviously has very little experience of league football but comes with a good pedigree. We need to see him take some type of part in a game even as a second half substitute but GC can't and won't do that if we are chasing the game so a chicken and egg situation.

As others have said, he surely has to be at least as good as some of the tired players we are putting out, so give him a go. Paul Cox was well known for not playing loan players and I hope this is not a similar example under GC.

We just have to trust the manager and take what we get.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby nick_stags » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:56 am

He's only been available for two games.

I think he'll play Saturday.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:18 am

nick_stags wrote:He's only been available for two games.

I think he'll play Saturday.

Not if Kevin de Tomlinson is fit
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:59 am

He must start. I don't care how inexperienced he is - right now, without even seeing him play and based on reputation alone, I'd take him over our current central midfield pairing.

I'd bring in Sterling-James too.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:50 pm

Tomlinson is not the problem. Bishop is unfortunately . I would definitely pick Evans on Saturday

Funnily enough I was discussing Sterling James after witnessing the debacle at Orient. The Manager wants to play a pressing game and I’m ok with that but it’s not working at the moment. It’s now about getting points on the Board and then building a squad to play the pressing game effectively
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:40 pm

yorkstag wrote:Tomlinson is not the problem. Bishop is unfortunately . I would definitely pick Evans on Saturday

Funnily enough I was discussing Sterling James after witnessing the debacle at Orient. The Manager wants to play a pressing game and I’m ok with that but it’s not working at the moment. It’s now about getting points on the Board and then building a squad to play the pressing game effectively

That's one of the problems I've had with GC so far, not being willing to adapt. He knows the players aren't fit enough, so why does he keep trying to play in a system which requires high energy if he knows they're not fit enough. On Tuesday, he did adapt. We were not pressing high in the first half, the majority of the time we let their defenders have the ball and got into shape.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:04 pm

The same thing was aimed at DF when he took over about changing Evan's style to his own but he stuck with his principles moving into the next season and did ok.
I'm hoping GC does the same.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:21 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:The same thing was aimed at DF when he took over about changing Evan's style to his own but he stuck with his principles moving into the next season and did ok.
I'm hoping GC does the same.

True, but it was still disappointing when we didn't make the play-offs because of the stubbornness, and it would be devastating if GC's stubbornness somehow led to relegation.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:38 pm

yorkstag wrote:Tomlinson is not the problem. Bishop is unfortunately . I would definitely pick Evans on Saturday

That's your opinion so fair dos.

Bishop looked back to form against Bradford as he didn't have to do the work of two. Tomlinson adds absolutely nothing, he's so far one of the worst midfielders I've seen in 45 years of watching Stags and that's saying something.
He ranks on a par with McLachlan in my eyes.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:02 pm

Thanks for the replies. Looks like no one knows the answer.

I don’t suppose it’s too much to expect the tenacious local sports journalists to actually ask why he was brought in and not being played.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:09 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:

That's your opinion so fair dos.

Bishop looked back to form against Bradford as he didn't have to do the work of two. Tomlinson adds absolutely nothing, he's so far one of the worst midfielders I've seen in 45 years of watching Stags and that's saying something.
He ranks on a par with McLachlan in my eyes.

They’re both the problem in my opinion. Neither anywhere near good enough and to say they’re both ‘industrial midfielders’ they lose the midfield battle and get overrun most weeks. Both very poor at passing as well, they never look composed when they’ve got to find someone. The new lad needs a start sharpish and let’s just hope he’s got a bit of something about him and is physically ready for league 2 football.

Pure speculation, but it doesn’t seem like Evans has had much exposure to men’s football - maybe found it a bit tough in training? Doesn’t look the most physical.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:19 pm

I thought it was odd he didn't get a look in on Saturday. I put it down to Riley picking up a knock and then we conceded so he subbed a striker for a striker with the last sub.

Tuesday came around and he's not on the pitch again. Yes Riley picked up/aggravated an injury again but we only used 2 subs. Why isn't he given game time?

I'm not too chuffed about his late subs either. If we aren't winning or controlling a game then your subs are there to change things and/or freshen things up. People are writing Davies off because he's come on 3 times and not done anything, he's played 13 minutes of football this season over those appearances.

That last bit of data was taken from https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/99/Show ... -Mansfield
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:10 pm

Not many managers change their style to suit the previous managers style. Why would Flitcroft change his passing style in favour of direct football? I hope GC sticks with his style too as it will eventually win through with a mixture of his own players and the ones we have. It took Klopp 3 years to get the team where he wanted them. We should be sticking with a manager long term now imo.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum