{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

let's try being positive.....

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

let's try being positive.....

Postby Staggie Steve » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:18 pm

Like everyone else, I am really disappointed at how the season has turned out so far. An odd good performance here and there, mingled with silly defensive errors costing us points, confuses me. I know we are in League Two and inconsistency is about the only consistent feature in this League but no team, top or bottom, appear to justify their League position based on their performances against us so far.

I am trying to look at things positively. I don't think the players aren't trying. They may struggle to perform well individually at certain stages of the game and when that 'below par' performance is displayed by several members of the team at the same time, we struggle. But it does seem to matter to the players. They seem 'together' and (dare I suggest?) 'elated' when they score and look genuinely upset when things go against them. They do not give me the impression of not being bothered. I don't think the players are poor. Some have some talent, pace, skill, awareness and determination. It may not be there all the time, but the fact that it is there at all, is promising.
I have also seen really good individual performances from some players (admittedly sometimes followed by poor performances in the next game) but, again, we should try to focus on those rather than on the errors, mistakes and poor judgements.

It is the case that 'getting on the player's back' is unlikely to secure a better performance from them, so how about not doing it? Encouragement from the stands will always be well received and will usually result in a determination to improve. It is sometimes difficult to do anything but groan, let alone, encourage, but, instead of berating an individual, stay silent and express yourself more positively towards those players who you think are doing ok?

We need to get through this season, but we also need to try to keep the players who are capable of stepping up next season for GC. I want those players to have a desire to stay rather than being put off by a negative atmosphere in the stands. Remember, all the players hear and feel negativity even if it's not directed at them individually.

So for the final push in this season, can we just get behind the players we have and see where it takes us? Some say we aren't going to be relegated, but we are certainly going to have to fight our way out of this mess. On that basis isn't it better for us to try and be positive.....for the sake of ourselves, the management and the players?
Staggie Steve
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: let's try being positive.....

Postby sw19stag » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:20 pm

Any chance you can post the 'In a nutshell' version. Thanks.
sw19stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:21 pm

Yes we need to get back to the video that bishop did last year :)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:30 pm

sw19stag wrote:Any chance you can post the 'In a nutshell' version. Thanks.

"In a nutshell, ya stink"....
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Philip » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:39 pm

Any chance you can make a meaningful contribution to what is a carefully thought out and well written post?
Philip
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:41 pm

In a nutshell I'd keep

Sweeney
Pearce
Benning
Maynard
Rose
Gordan

Bin the rest and start again
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby sw19stag » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:49 pm

PHILIP wrote:

Any chance you can make a meaningful contribution to what is a carefully thought out and well written post?

It's verbose bull.
sw19stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:03 pm

sw19stag wrote:
PHILIP wrote:

It's verbose bull.

Idiotic comment, unnecessarily dismissive. Is that concise enough for you, sw19?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby sw19stag » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:43 pm

Do you always edit your posts once you've looked up the words you don't understand?
sw19stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:59 pm

PHILIP wrote:

Bloke has the attention span of a gnat.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:35 pm

Support has held up at around the 4K mark (not bad for the league position) the match day experience however has a negative vibe about it.

The teams disappointment at losing out last season and the accompanying negative comments from the fans (whether justified or not) has carried over to this season, some of the players seem detached from the fans and this has slowly spread throughout the team.

The snake oil salesman’s technique of “them and us” has backfired massively, he should have been telling them that they’re privileged to be playing football, and they need the support of the townsfolk to succeed themselves.

Our job is to get behind them, there’s is to give us something to get behind.

None of them are bigger than the club, once they realise that, then they can build a rapport that will benefit all.

In a nutshell version for SW19

Togetherness or Vanarama
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:37 pm

sw19stag wrote:Do you always edit your posts once you've looked up the words you don't understand?

I edit my posts like any other author - when I spot a mistake, or decide to augment the original text.

I realise that you’re back-bitching because I derided your absurd post but, come on, grow up.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:52 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
PHILIP wrote:

Bloke has the attention span of a gnat.

And lives Wimbledon area.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby tuopolfpilf » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:10 pm

Game Set and Match
tuopolfpilf
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Beano » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:14 pm

tuopolfpilf wrote:Game Set and Match

New balls please :)
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:22 am

Beano wrote:
tuopolfpilf wrote:Game Set and Match

New balls please :)
The One wrote:And lives Wimbledon area.

You Cannot Be Serious
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:06 am

Thanks for a well formulated and thought-provoking original post.

The point you raised about players not trying is an interesting one. I have been thinking about this for months now and still haven't figured out a way of expressing my thoughts on this coherently but I'm going to try... I agree that the players do care and I also think they've been trying. I think the comments from the chairman, effectively hanging the players out to dry, have intensified this ridiculous divide between the fans and the players. Some liked his comments, which is fair enough, but I didn't. I dont think things like that do and the results since suggest that indeed they haven't helped.

So why make them? To deflect. To deflect from a bad decision in sacking DF. To deflect from a worse one in appointing JD. Coughlin had stated on numerous occasions that fitness levels aren't right (Dempster's responsibility). However, Radford has stated that this group of players has 'cost a good man his job' (I.e. not Dempster who cost himself through poor preseason etc.). Both can't be true.

The truth probably sits somewhere in between these two versions but I think it's risky calling the players out in such a public way. Most of them now know they're probably off at the end of the season and given that we are probably safe, there isnt really too much to play for.

Anyway - 'in a nutshell': they're not all bad, just demotivated and have nothing left to play for.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby ROKERITE » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:47 am

gavinbrookes wrote:Thanks for a well formulated and thought-provoking original post.

The truth probably sits somewhere in between these two versions but I think it's risky calling the players out in such a public way. Most of them now know they're probably off at the end of the season and given that we are probably safe, there isnt really too much to play for.

Anyway - 'in a nutshell': they're not all bad, just demotivated and have nothing left to play for.

I disagree regarding the players having nothing left to play for. Play well and you might find you've persuaded Mr Coughlan that you're part of his plans for next season. If not part of his plans then watching scouts and coaches might well take note and give you a contract if you're released at the end of this season. Play badly and you'll probably find yourself out of the door and no-one interested in giving you a chance elsewhere.
ROKERITE
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby SINA STAG » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:22 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:

"In a nutshell, ya stink"....

Is that a summery version of you may stink definitely stink or only stink when SW19Stag is near you on a whole.....
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:27 pm

It's not easy to be positive, only saving grace is Stevenage.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:47 pm

gavinbrookes wrote:Thanks for a well formulated and thought-provoking original post.

The point you raised about players not trying is an interesting one. I have been thinking about this for months now and still haven't figured out a way of expressing my thoughts on this coherently but I'm going to try... I agree that the players do care and I also think they've been trying. I think the comments from the chairman, effectively hanging the players out to dry, have intensified this ridiculous divide between the fans and the players. Some liked his comments, which is fair enough, but I didn't. I dont think things like that do and the results since suggest that indeed they haven't helped.

So why make them? To deflect. To deflect from a bad decision in sacking DF. To deflect from a worse one in appointing JD. Coughlin had stated on numerous occasions that fitness levels aren't right (Dempster's responsibility). However, Radford has stated that this group of players has 'cost a good man his job' (I.e. not Dempster who cost himself through poor preseason etc.). Both can't be true.

Taking your eye off the ball with 14 games to go in our position is a recipe for disaster. You fight and scrap for every single point till safety mathematically is achieved. Too finish 23rd also is not an option for me and would be nothing but an embarassment of the highest order.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:48 pm

Demotivated: imo yes, to some degree. But personally think they are badly lacking confidence, fitness and mental unity/cohesion the most, bud

I think we too often try & apportion blame to a single factor - for me last season was a concoction of things, namely: some bad loan acquisitions, changing a winning team with players who didn't shine, some players were mentally & physically spent at the season end, (some) poor tactics biting us, other off-field factor(s) that seemed to unsettle the squad. Some of these lay with the manager, but (again to muddy the waters even further) he was struggling to assemble a promotion squad when a good chunk of his budget was wasted on crocks/unresponsive players
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:39 pm

Reasons to be cheerful....
It was more precarious during our first two seasons back in the football league during February.
2014 - 6 points from the dropzone having played a game more
2015 - Deep in the mire in 23rd place having just lost 2-1 at Carlisle
2020 - 10 points clear of the dropzone albeit with a worse PPG record that the two seasons in question.

17 Mansfield Town 30 8 11 11 32 40 -8 35
18 Bristol Rovers 30 8 10 12 28 32 -4 34
19 Accrington Stanley 28 8 9 11 32 38 -6 33
20 Portsmouth 30 7 12 11 34 43 -9 33
21 Bury 28 7 11 10 32 35 -3 32
22 Wycombe Wanderers 30 7 10 13 33 39 -6 31
23 Torquay United 29 7 8 14 29 43 -14 29
24 Northampton Town 29 6 8 15 23 40 -17 26

Table 01.02.2015
18 Portsmouth 27 7 9 11 28 33 -5 30
19 Dagenham and Redbridge 28 8 6 14 30 39 -9 30
20 Carlisle United 28 9 3 16 35 50 -15 30
21 Cheltenham Town 28 7 9 12 25 40 -15 30
22 York City 28 5 13 10 27 33 -6 28
23 Mansfield Town 27 7 7 13 22 35 -13 28
24 Hartlepool United 28 5 6 17 22 49 -27 21
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:50 pm

Crocks
Crooks
And Cook
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:12 pm

100% Behind GC you only have to watch his post match interviews , he says it as it is .
Does not defend the players and he his 1st to say the mistakes are not acceptable.

He must be scratching head because he is trying to move things forwards and there is no improvement.

He knows some how he got to get us to the end of the season with our league status intact.

That is when GC needs to clear the decks completely and bring back a freshness to MTFC.
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum