{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

O’s scorethread sponsored by anyone else going?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: O’s scorethread sponsored by anyone else going?

Postby Sweden Stag » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:58 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Let's get a bit of perspective on this.

Yes our form and style is terrible and we are quickly going down the plug hole.

BUT we are not the worst team over the last five matches, Stevenage have lost all five, Macclesfield have won a point less than us and should also have points deducted for their fixture mess. Walsall also have scored less points but already have enough to be safe.

Stevenage have won 3 times out of 33 and need 3 wins and two draws just to overtake us out of their remaining 13 games. It just isn't going to happen and there is also nothing to suggest Macclesfield will do better than us, in short we are safe, oh alright safeish.

How we will do next year is a different matter for another thread. For now let's just put our tin hats on and 'enjoy' the rest of the season.

PS. You can add Scunthorpe Newport and Forest Green to that list.

Very good post.

I have checked some details. The three Stevenage wins out of 33 so far is easily the worst return for any League Two side in bottom spot for not only years, but also for decades. Last League Two side with just three wins out of 33 was Doncaster in 1997-98 during their horror campaign in which they ended up with just 20 points and 113 goals conceded. Even Darlington in 2009-10 and Workington in their final FL season way back in 1976-77 had FOUR wins after 33 fixtures, so had also Dagenham & Redbridge in 2015-16. York, who went down with the Daggers in 2015-16, had won six, while Leyton Orient had eight.The latest (then) FL club which had managed just 3 wins out of their first 33 fixtures was Southport way back in their final FL season way back in 1977-78, when they eventually failed re-election.

So I think the race to avoid the drop will be between Stevenage and Macclesfield (due to their points deduction), also Morecambe. And Stevenage have yet to travel to Morecambe and Macclesfield.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:05 am

The manager was well aware of the problems he faced before he joined us and
he knows that barring a spectacular turn around by Stevenage we are safe.

He will also have known that 80% of the squad will be out of contract come June 30th. We can wave goodbye to most and even reluctantly to the likes of Maynard and Benning, two who I would like the club to keep, my opinon.

Those on big money will be replaced with cheaper options but not necessarily worse players. The club is still been suffering from the fall out of Evan's tenure, last season DF had to put up with over paid players sitting on the sidelines and this season some players signed one year deals and I cannot imagine the likes of McDonald, Logan and Mellis accepting less money than for the previous season, again just my thoughts.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:15 am

Sweden Stag wrote:

BUT we are not the worst team over the last five matches, Stevenage have lost all five, Macclesfield have won a point less than us and should also have points deducted for their fixture mess. Walsall also have scored less points but already have enough to be safe.

Stevenage have won 3 times out of 33 and need 3 wins and two draws just to overtake us out of their remaining 13 games. It just isn't going to happen and there is also nothing to suggest Macclesfield will do better than us, in short we are safe, oh alright safeish.

How we will do next year is a different matter for another thread. For now let's just put our tin hats on and 'enjoy' the rest of the season.

Very good post.

I have checked some details. The three Stevenage wins out of 33 so far is easily the worst return for any League Two side in bottom spot for not only years, but also for decades. Last League Two side with just three wins out of 33 was Doncaster in 1997-98 during their horror campaign in which they ended up with just 20 points and 113 goals conceded. Even Darlington in 2009-10 and Workington in their final FL season way back in 1976-77 had FOUR wins after 33 fixtures, so had also Dagenham & Redbridge in 2015-16. York, who went down with the Daggers in 2015-16, had won six, while Leyton Orient had eight.The latest (then) FL club which had managed just 3 wins out of their first 33 fixtures was Southport way back in their final FL season way back in 1977-78, when they eventually failed re-election.

So I think the race to avoid the drop will be between Stevenage and Macclesfield (due to their points deduction), also Morecambe. And Stevenage have yet to travel to Morecambe and Macclesfield.

The average points total of the bottom side in League Two over the last ten years is 39. On average we would therefore need 40 points to surive, or 39 with a superior goal difference. Therefore a further 7-8 points would be enough on average. 40 points would keep us up in 7 of the last 10 seasons.

However, on this seasons form, Stevenage are only on target for 31 points, which would be the lowest total since 2010. Therefore if they carry on picking up points at the same rate as the first 33 games, we are already safe.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:31 pm

Some pretty dangerous posts above.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:43 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Some pretty dangerous posts above.

Dangerous how?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:02 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

Dangerous how?

Complacent.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:18 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Dangerous how?

Complacent.

We're not the players or staff you know? It's just stats posted on a messageboard.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:46 pm

Hitchcocks size 10s wrote:Well that’s last of those 4 fixtures against teams around us which were classed as “ 6 pointers” and we’ve come out with a massive 2 points out of them. Doesn’t bode well for the next 6 fixtures against top half teams. I think looking at those next 6, I can only see 1 point being gained and that will probably be on Saturday against Newport.

We are two points better off from bottom place than we were.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:54 pm

What ? Dangerous because they post facts ?

There’s no complacency. We are dog toffee but we will be ok with another couple of wins which we will get.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:38 pm

bellwhiff wrote:

There’s no complacency. We are dog toffee but we will be ok with another couple of wins which we will get.

Are you an ostrich?
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:47 pm

Conker wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Conker wrote:
Rob wrote:
Richard Cranium wrote:Boring football, the most overrated squad in our history, zero fight in 90% of them. Roll on May so GC can clear this lot out, just hope if he's got some money available he assembles a good footballing side

I am not sure that is high on his priority list. Next season, if we are still in the FL, I expect us to be hard working, tough to beat but hard to watch. It's a formula that has to get results because if not, even the more moderate souls will quickly lose patience.

I’ll take that right now, but who’s to say he’s not like Evans? Hard working, tough to beat, quickly upfront - that was entertaining under him.

GC hasn't been in the job long enough. He is probably still developing his style. He will have learnt a lot more since he has been with us. Maybe it worked in league 1 with Bristol Rovers, maybe he just got lucky, who knows?

To compare him with an experienced manager like "the Scottish manager" doesn't stack up.

All I’m alluding to is sometimes ‘tough to beat’ ‘hard working’ can still be enjoyable under certain managers, that’s it.

I suppose that very much depends why you go to the games. I guess for you (and having had this discussion many times, Martin too) the be all and end all is the points and I absolutely get that. Now don't get me wrong, success is very important, but I also like to enjoy going to games. I very nearly stopped going in the last few months of Coxy's reign and there is no way do I want us to turn into a John Beck type side. Our moderate success over the past 40 years has generally been done with sides that are very good to watch - I suppose Greavesie's side was hard working but he did have some flair in there too and they were far from long ball, more solid than ugly. I suppose what I want is success with a side good to watch, a point at MK last season and we'd have had that so it is not impossible. Now success with horrible football is far less likely but if it happens then I guess on a cold Tuesday night I'd probably stay in Lincoln rather than take the drive into Mansfield to watch a game. Worst case, horrible football and mid table or lower, the crowds will plummet. We'll see, you can be direct, hard working and also entertaining.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:25 pm

IMO winning football matches is all that counts. It doesn’t matter how you do it and how entertained you feel at the end of 90 minutes.

Look at Lincoln, dreadful to watch yet look how they’re fan base has taken off in the last few years all due to the success they’ve had. The style Cox implemented was ugly but successful, FM was rocking when we were top of the National League. Lumping/long ball football only becomes an issue with supporters if you aren’t winning, like we are now.

Even under SE, the style wasn’t great but we were winning games and that’s what counts.

Give me winning football matches over 20 pass tika tika style any day of the week.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:06 pm

Clarke again at fault for the second goal (as with Saturday, and other games).
Olejnik also at fault again, with the first goal.
Both players are a liability at the moment.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:32 pm

Can’t see many other than those under longish contracts staying around next season
Been certainly a strange season and not long ago most wanted Bobby back over Logan but Bobby is starting to be pants ...
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:48 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:IMO winning football matches is all that counts. It doesn’t matter how you do it and how entertained you feel at the end of 90 minutes.

Look at Lincoln, dreadful to watch yet look how they’re fan base has taken off in the last few years all due to the success they’ve had. The style Cox implemented was ugly but successful, FM was rocking when we were top of the National League. Lumping/long ball football only becomes an issue with supporters if you aren’t winning, like we are now.

Even under SE, the style wasn’t great but we were winning games and that’s what counts.

Give me winning football matches over 20 pass tika tika style any day of the week.

Lincoln played much better football last season, I know, I watch them a bit when we don't have a game. FM was not rocking under Cox in the FL, it was sleeping or not bothering to turn up. How quickly some forget how close we were to relegation under him until he was sacked. As I say, you want ugly football then crack on, if we win games some fans will stay and watch, you stop winning then back to 2,000 pretty sharp. I want my club to play decent football, we have achieved success by playing decent football and if I was the owner I would only employ a manager who wanted to play decent football. Life's to short to watch 90 mins of crap for a 1-0 win. Sod that.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:16 pm

The best football I have seen at field mill for 15 years was under flitcroft. WBA away in the cup was the best away performance I’d seen in yrs even though we lost. A feel good feeling , the home fans saying the best side they’d seen in ages and support was brilliant..I was proud to be a travelling stag.. now I just feel as if every game is just a case of being loyal by turning up but in return get nothing..went to Portugal , dozens of games since but seems as though I’m just going because after 50 yrs it’s in my blood. Do I enjoy it? I ask myself daily.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:05 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Are you an ostrich?

Are you in possession of a spine ?

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:15 am

Rob wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:IMO winning football matches is all that counts. It doesn’t matter how you do it and how entertained you feel at the end of 90 minutes.

Lincoln played much better football last season, I know, I watch them a bit when we don't have a game. FM was not rocking under Cox in the FL, it was sleeping or not bothering to turn up. How quickly some forget how close we were to relegation under him until he was sacked. As I say, you want ugly football then crack on, if we win games some fans will stay and watch, you stop winning then back to 2,000 pretty sharp. I want my club to play decent football, we have achieved success by playing decent football and if I was the owner I would only employ a manager who wanted to play decent football. Life's to short to watch 90 mins of crap for a 1-0 win. Sod that.

I never said PC in the FL, it was a comment made about our time in the National League, when we were winning it was good, when we weren’t winning it was toxic at times. Lincoln played better football yes, but if they weren’t winning matches the fans would easily turn, it’s easier to forgive a manager who’s “trying to play the right way” rather than a hoof ball manager.

My point in short is, winning football gets bums on seats and the atmosphere up, as soon as you stop winning though the ugly football becomes an easier target for fans than if we were playing tika tika style.

Under DF we were spoilt for L2, we played some excellent stuff and were right up there. If GC can get his squad firing next season, not one comment will be made about “its boring football”.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:01 pm

Great post especially the bit in bold.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:58 pm

The blame for this defeat lies firmly at the feet of Forest Town Stag. You took a solid thread that was gaining momentum and moulded in your own image.

A curse on your family for generations to come!

Other than that, the bloke delivering pizzas on his moped was the highlight.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:38 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:The blame for this defeat lies firmly at the feet of Forest Town Stag. You took a solid thread that was gaining momentum and moulded in your own image.

A curse on your family for generations to come!

Other than that, the bloke delivering pizzas on his moped was the highlight.

It was quicker than CJ down the wing. Delivered a better end product as well
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum