{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Could Bury have saved us?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Could Bury have saved us?

Postby Nottsstag100 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:19 pm

Despite all of the hatred that was felt towards Bury in summer when we were robbed of promotion, it seems as though they will, fingers crossed, have saved us from going down.

Even though it seems extremely unlikely, I hope we can get a few wins in the next 5 or 6 games as it should keep us in a “safeish” position.

I can’t even bear the thought of spireites and the clownty fans if we were to go down and do a repeat of them after all of the laughs we had at them.

Lets get through this season and rebuild for a top 3 finish next season :coys:
Nottsstag100
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Could Bury have saved us?

Postby BigGuy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:21 pm

Lets face it, if two relegation places were up for grabs, one would have our name on.
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:40 pm

I hate Bury cheats
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:46 pm

[quote="Nottsstag100"]Despite all of the hatred that was felt towards Bury in summer when we were robbed of promotion, it seems as though they will, fingers crossed, have saved us from going down.

Even though it seems extremely unlikely, I hope we can get a few wins in the next 5 or 6 games as it should keep us in a “safeish” position.

I can’t even bear the thought of spireites and the clownty fans if we were to go down and do a repeat of them after all of the laughs we had at them.

Lets get through this season and rebuild for a top 3 finish next season :coys:[/quote

We will not be mounting any promotion bid next year.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:57 pm

london amber stag wrote:
Nottsstag100 wrote:Despite all of the hatred that was felt towards Bury in summer when we were robbed of promotion, it seems as though they will, fingers crossed, have saved us from going down.

Lets get through this season and rebuild for a top 3 finish next season :coys:[/quote

I can't see us turning next season into another smash the league, project promotion whatever you want to call it season. The club needs a rebuild and a philosophy put in to place. I think it'll be 2-3 seasons before we start pushing again because JR surely doesn't have the finances to bankroll manager after manager and none of them have achieved anything being bankrolled
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:38 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
london amber stag wrote:
Nottsstag100 wrote:Despite all of the hatred that was felt towards Bury in summer when we were robbed of promotion, it seems as though they will, fingers crossed, have saved us from going down.

I can't see us turning next season into another smash the league, project promotion whatever you want to call it season. The club needs a rebuild and a philosophy put in to place. I think it'll be 2-3 seasons before we start pushing again because JR surely doesn't have the finances to bankroll manager after manager and none of them have achieved anything being bankrolled

You are deluded if you ever thought we had a smash the league budget. We had a competitive top 7 budget, but smash the league, nope. This is part of the problem, unrealistic expectations. My expectation under DF last season was for us to challenge for promotion, had he been manager this season that would have been raised to achieving promotion. That is probably why I differ with some on here about the merits of his sacking, they expected to smash the league, I expected a challenge. When JD was appointed my expectation was mid table. It didn't matter who we brought in, we wrote this season off when we changed manager. A wholesale change in squad next season means consolidation - expectation of smash this league is, well, just utter nonesense. A play-off challenge would be a right result. The last truly great side we had took 3 years to build, but now it appears some want it in 6 months - not going to happen, get used to it. If JR gives his managers a top 3 or out ultimatum then I hope he only gives them a one year contract, otherwise it will cost him a fortune.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:31 am

Nope, there’s no way of knowing what would have been if we had gone up, kept Flitcroft and invested in the squad again. All I can tell you is that I would rather be scrapping for survival in league 1 than league 2, that’s if you can call what we’re currently doing scrapping?
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:50 am

If Bury had played the game we would be in League 1 building on the promotion.

Bury aren’t saving us. They screwed us
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:21 am

Reading some posts on here about project promotion starting next season with a brand new squad......

Ermmmmm let me think

1 Have the club got the right manager to move us on ?
2 enticing the right players ?
3 Top 7 Budget for a 4th season ?
4 off the pitch projects higher priority ?
5 Fans and the team not as one when things go wrong on the pitch
6 Best fans in the league home n away when players are playing for the shirt.

Summarise

Mansfield Town just a 2nd tier team floating around mid table except for the odd season that may find the Stags struggling to stay in the league or just missing out losing in the play offs.
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:31 am

Rob wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
london amber stag wrote:

You are deluded if you ever thought we had a smash the league budget. We had a competitive top 7 budget, but smash the league, nope. This is part of the problem, unrealistic expectations. My expectation under DF last season was for us to challenge for promotion, had he been manager this season that would have been raised to achieving promotion. That is probably why I differ with some on here about the merits of his sacking, they expected to smash the league, I expected a challenge. When JD was appointed my expectation was mid table. It didn't matter who we brought in, we wrote this season off when we changed manager. A wholesale change in squad next season means consolidation - expectation of smash this league is, well, just utter nonesense. A play-off challenge would be a right result. The last truly great side we had took 3 years to build, but now it appears some want it in 6 months - not going to happen, get used to it. If JR gives his managers a top 3 or out ultimatum then I hope he only gives them a one year contract, otherwise it will cost him a fortune.

I never expected us to smash the league by the way, but a lot of fans think we should be just because weve been spending a bit of money on a playing squad.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:39 am

In answer to the OP, no Bury haven't saved us.
The fact still remains that they robbed us of promotion.
If they hadn't we would be in L1 with Flitcroft in charge, the players would be riding high on promotion, the squad would have been strengthened, and we would be consolidating at that level.
Instead we sacked the manager, the players are suffering the hangover of failure, the fans are disappointed and over reacting to every minor problem, and we are getting dragged into a relegation battle.
Yes there are many reasons why we are where we are now, but Bury are one of the reasons, not our saviours.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:40 am

Dave Wayne wrote:In answer to the OP, no Bury haven't saved us.
The fact still remains that they robbed us of promotion.
If they hadn't we would be in L1 with Flitcroft in charge, the players would be riding high on promotion, the squad would have been strengthened, and we would be consolidating at that level.
Instead we sacked the manager, the players are suffering the hangover of failure, the fans are disappointed and over reacting to every minor problem, and we are getting dragged into a relegation battle.
Yes there are many reasons why we are where we are now, but Bury are one of the reasons, not our saviours.

This. Good post.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:50 am

Rob wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
london amber stag wrote:

I agree.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Ravenshead1956 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:02 am

What is the obsession with Bury? Is it their fault we can’t hold on to leads. What is the difference between us and them? Check out our accounts. If the Radford’s walked away we would be in the same situation as them. Only difference is our guy is the real deal, their guy Steve Dale is an asset stripper. Just as well they went bust and we got Maynard. Where would be be without his goals. Why not blame the coronavirus instead? Our failings are our own and we should own them. There is an I in fail.
Ravenshead1956
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:40 am

all I can say is that if Bury went out the league last season... we'd be rock bottom of league one with this lot.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:04 am

Sedgwick wrote:all I can say is that if Bury went out the league last season... we'd be rock bottom of league one with this lot.

Better than near bottom of league 2.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:05 am

I have to say YES.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:14 am

I’ve been trying to find a definitive view on Macclesfield points deduction. I know they have had 6 deducted with 4 suspended. Has any sanction relating to calling the Plymouth game off before Xmas been announced?
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:09 pm

Sedgwick wrote:all I can say is that if Bury went out the league last season... we'd be rock bottom of league one with this lot.

Hard to say what would happen. We'd still have flitcroft probably, and the players wouldn't have started the season knowing they blew a fantastic chance of promotion, unfit and low on confidence
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:15 pm

Embarrassing this. We cost ourselves promotion. We failed to get a single point from our last 3 games.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:58 pm

Oh dear.
We would have strengthened. Probably kept Walker. We’d be far better off than now.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:57 pm

bellwhiff wrote:

Oh dear.
We would have strengthened. Probably kept Walker. We’d be far better off than now.

I agree with this. Indirectly Bury may have done us a favour this season - but it would have been far better if they had have been punished and Mansfield promoted last season. That is irrefutable. It is better to be bottom of league 1 than bottom of league 2.
And besides, had we have been promoted last season, there is no reason that we couldn't have built on that momentum this season.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:02 pm

the EFL should have done something before the final day of last season, i.e. docked Bury something like ten points. Had it been in the Conf aka Vanarama National League, they had definitely docked Bury points. Had the EFL done that, the Stags might have promoted and fared quite well in League One, and Bury had still been in the EFL.

Think we had fared better than what i.e. MK Dons and Tranmere have done so far this season. Maybe mid-table.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:15 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51584394
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:30 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51584394

They have not been accepted yet, just applied.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum