{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Score Fred sponsorship by Eric and the unbeaten run

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Score Fred sponsorship by Eric and the unbeaten run

Postby WVStag » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:00 pm

london amber stag wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:
london amber stag wrote:Really pleased for Tyler, he deserves his place in that Forest team. Excellent attitude, professional and ran all game, how we miss him. Exeter away springs to mind.

Some wouldn't have him back though....

There were a disturbing amount of fans on Facebook at the end of the season saying that they preferred Rose over Walker because "Walker was lazy".

Well that just about sums up the noisy majority on Facebook. Tyler is one of the best loan players we have had for years and I have no doubt had we gone up, he would have stayed with us.

He's one of the best players we've had, full stop.

The war on workhorses rages on. Always an uphill battle.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:44 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:I don't agree that the substitution of Maynard, bringing on Hamilton after 75 minutes, had any impact on the result. In principle, it seemed a reasonable change to me, with Hamilton's pace to run at the defence in the latter stages. Unfortunately it was the substitution of Clarke on for Riley (Riley I think off with some kind of groin strain or something like that) which did have an impact as it looked to me like it was Clarke who lost his man Kenyon who knocked in the equaliser.

It may not have had a direct impact on the goal incident itself, but I do think the sub invited pressure. It achieved nothing and we didn’t learn our lesson from just 7 days ago. Twice now as soon as he’s left the pitch we’ve been really poor at seeing the game out because we are just letting teams come on to us. Today they gradually built pressure until they scored and once they did they could have easily scored again, they didn’t have to worry about any attacking threat from us. They had no choice but to go for it anyway of course, but they could do so in the knowledge we were now toothless up top. We barely entered their half after that sub, that’s no coincidence cor me.

I mentioned in commentary when Maynard came off that he was basically getting no service at all all afternoon, save for one brilliant cross from Riley. The principle of having Hamilton run at them and get in behind them was reasonable I think. More of a problem in my opinion was that the midfield, especially Charsley and Tomlinson, didn't have good games. Bishop did at least get quite a few good tackles in in the second half.

I agree that bringing CJ on to get behind them is a good idea. Where it falls down though is facilitating it by taking off the only player capable of converting the fruits of CJ getting behind them. If that was to be the tactic it should have been Rose going off. Maynard is also more capable of keeping up with CJ when he gets behind them, unfortunately Rose isn't.

The whole team seems unbalanced at the moment and maybe that is the root of the problem, reasonable players but not together.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:50 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:I don't agree that the substitution of Maynard, bringing on Hamilton after 75 minutes, had any impact on the result. In principle, it seemed a reasonable change to me, with Hamilton's pace to run at the defence in the latter stages. Unfortunately it was the substitution of Clarke on for Riley (Riley I think off with some kind of groin strain or something like that) which did have an impact as it looked to me like it was Clarke who lost his man Kenyon who knocked in the equaliser.

It may not have had a direct impact on the goal incident itself, but I do think the sub invited pressure. It achieved nothing and we didn’t learn our lesson from just 7 days ago. Twice now as soon as he’s left the pitch we’ve been really poor at seeing the game out because we are just letting teams come on to us. Today they gradually built pressure until they scored and once they did they could have easily scored again, they didn’t have to worry about any attacking threat from us. They had no choice but to go for it anyway of course, but they could do so in the knowledge we were now toothless up top. We barely entered their half after that sub, that’s no coincidence cor me.

I mentioned in commentary when Maynard came off that he was basically getting no service at all all afternoon, save for one brilliant cross from Riley. The principle of having Hamilton run at them and get in behind them was reasonable I think. More of a problem in my opinion was that the midfield, especially Charsley and Tomlinson, didn't have good games. Bishop did at least get quite a few good tackles in in the second half.

I agree that bringing CJ on to get behind them is a good idea. Where it falls down though is facilitating it by taking off the only player capable of converting the fruits of CJ getting behind them. If that was to be the tactic it should have been Rose going off. Maynard is also more capable of keeping up with CJ when he gets behind them, unfortunately Rose isn't.

The whole team seems unbalanced at the moment and maybe that is the root of the problem, reasonable players but not together.

That all falls flat as we've no one who can get the ball to CJ, the passing ability is non-existent!!
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:01 pm

OllertonStag wrote:To anybody there...is the game as bad as it sounds?

It was, 'dire' is too positive a word for it.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:19 pm

Another point on the board and we march on to Tuesday .

Part Time Pete stays on for his 3rd fred :clap: Tater needs to get the prize ready :D a bag of crisp :D

Which flavour do you like Pete :lol: :lol:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:28 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:Another point on the board and we march on to Tuesday .

Part Time Pete stays on for his 3rd fred :clap: Tater needs to get the prize ready :D a bag of crisp :D

Another point on the board :lol: remarkable outlook. To be admired in a very weird way.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:31 pm

WVStag wrote:

Another point on the board :lol: remarkable outlook. To be admired in a very weird way.

Has Bruce Forsyth's would say , what do points make Prizes :lol: :lol:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:37 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:
WVStag wrote:

No prizes for 21st place
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:51 pm

The team is a mish mash will take a lot of sorting out
CG makes odd substitutions in my limited view
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:08 am

Spiritater wrote:
STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:
WVStag wrote:

No prizes for 21st place

It means another season in league 2.

From the shambles of the worse season I can remember in a long time, I'll accept that as a "prize".
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:44 am

Billy the fish wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

Or we could have brought Cooke on ?? 2 games running press from the front your going to need to replace the strikers why on earth you let a contracted goal scorer leave beggars believe .GC jury out

Letting Cook go was a mistake . Had he been introduced in the last two games we may well have retained four more points . If you are going to bring CJ on you need accurate balls in to or in front of him . Not something our midfield can provide so the ball comes straight back at our defence . Cook would at least have retained tHe ball better by competing for 50/50 balls . ( and he was scoring goals) Bizarre decision , at least until season end.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:47 am

Cook wanted out.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:46 am

Spiritater wrote:Cook wanted out.

I am told (by what I believe to be a reliable source at the Club) that not only did Cook want out, he hated the Stags fans (not all of ‘em, obviously).
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rigsby » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:50 am

I'm not surprised about that, if being called a w****r by your own fans before a game is anything to go by.
Rigsby
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby oldweststander » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:29 am

Rigsby wrote:I'm not surprised about that, if being called a w****r by your own fans before a game is anything to go by.

Very true and very stupid, but we do have a few idiots in the IG lower.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:56 am

I'm sure there are plenty of others that want out...that doesn't mean you let them go. We have to use what we need until the end of April.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby steiner » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:01 pm

Cant wait for this season to end...Get most of these overpaid show ponies out the door..this trying to buy promotion has been a disastrous policy by the club..Apart from Maynard and Rose the rest I wouldnt pay with washers..I dread to think how much the club has tipped down the drain on the likes of Khan and Davies,
I would much prefer a Accy stan approach to running a club..Hungry players on sensible wages that fight for success and not just here for a easy payday.
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby tillydog123 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:13 pm

Yep agree with Steiner and get rid of all overnight stops and trips to Portugal
Once in League 1 slowly roll out the treats then
I think Maynard has been better of late and more committed
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Harrington St Stag » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:37 pm

Survive this season, build for next season. I don’t know Maynard’s contract details but suspect we’ll get offers for him in the close season. He’s still scoring in a struggling team so other clubs will fancy getting him.

I’m not a big Danny Rose fan. Too few goals imo and hasn’t done a great deal this season. The rest, with the exception of Sweeney who seems very capable, seem ok to average but none that I’d be overly concerned at losing. I’d include Pearce and CJ in that group. Saturday felt like another game of mediocre football from a disjointed and dispirited team. I’ll be pleased to get through to late April and get a break!
Harrington St Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum