{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Score Fred sponsorship by Eric and the unbeaten run

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Score Fred sponsorship by Eric and the unbeaten run

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:57 pm

Johnny H wrote:
mousemousemouse wrote:Are people suggesting that because we took a striker off, that’s why we conceded?

the experts are !!!
:roll: :lol:

So there’s no correlation between Maynard being subbed off and us suddenly being put under pressure which culminated in us conceding goals the past two games then?
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:57 pm

Sneag wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:
mousemousemouse wrote:Are people suggesting that because we took a striker off, that’s why we conceded?

We took our main striker off for CJ who has been absolutely hopeless. It invites pressure, so it doesn’t help does it.

Since Maynard went off we’ve been hopeless and lucky not to have lost this last 5.

And it's happened twice in 2 consecutive games.

The problem is CJ offers raspberry all when he comes on. It's like getting a player sent off.

Taking off your main goal scoring threat is inherently negative. That is what comes before you decide who to replace them with, so anything else is secondary.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:58 pm

Conker wrote:Morecambe the better team today, Christ.

And we’ll continue to get outplayed by teams with our god awful midfield.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:59 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Oh look, you take your main striker off and we concede, AGAIN! Just asking for pressure and the inevitable always happens.

Negativity from the manager sends a message to a fragile team. You just know we will concede and then have to hang on for a point.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:59 pm

When will we ever keep another clean sheet? We are awful and will just about drag ourselves out of trouble but we have to win a few games first and I can't see any on the horizon.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:02 pm

Do they ??
Hes blowing out his arse...nothing left in tank (cos the team are not fit enough)…..do we leave him on ??
We will concede late goals for the rest of the season, just like we have all season because after 60 -70 mins we are knackered....too late for GC to sort this....he has deffo improved it but JD's lack of discipline and desire to get his team fit bites us every 90 mins we play !!!!
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:02 pm

10 points clear of Stevenage now. Looking at the fixtures I can only see us winning at best 1 of the next 9 games. A lot of tough matches coming up. Hopefully Stevenage don’t have a mini period of decent form before we play them at there place.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:04 pm

On a positive note we gained one more point than Stevenage.

As we are at the moment we should be thankful for that.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:04 pm

When you’re fighting near the bottom every point counts. I can see why the manager would do it.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:06 pm

wink68 wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:Oh look, you take your main striker off and we concede, AGAIN! Just asking for pressure and the inevitable always happens.

Negativity from the manager sends a message to a fragile team. You just know we will concede and then have to hang on for a point.

Precisely. It will also annoy Maynard no end, players like him want to see the game through, there’s goals to be had late on. He’ll be fuming now and we were lucky not to lose that.

Got to say, I’m beginning to feel pretty disappointed with Coughlan from a tactical point of view. I’ll give him the benefit of doubt somewhat until he gets his own team
in but nevertheless he needs to learn quick. Just asking the team to run at 100mph isn’t enough unfortunately.

Nobody in midfield who is willing to get the ball down and play, they just want to get rid ASAP. It’s awful to watch and each of them as bad as each other in there.
Last edited by BH_Stag on Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:07 pm

That was shocking not convinced with the GC appointment at all , you could put 11 Mo Farah’s who will run all day but if they can’t play football you won’t win football matches .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:08 pm

Johnny H wrote:Do they ??
Hes blowing out his arse...nothing left in tank (cos the team are not fit enough)…..do we leave him on ??
We will concede late goals for the rest of the season, just like we have all season because after 60 -70 mins we are knackered....too late for GC to sort this....he has deffo improved it but JD's lack of discipline and desire to get his team fit bites us every 90 mins we play !!!!

I don’t know if you were watching, but Maynard wasn’t blowing out of his arse at all, he was fine. All of a sudden Morecambe think, ‘Christ can’t believe they’ve taken the 2nd top scorer in the league off, let’s give this a go’... you know the rest.

Also, we’ve won 2 out of 11 since Coughlan came in, so whilst performances may have improved slightly, results haven’t improved.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:09 pm

Billy the fish wrote:That was shocking not convinced with the GC appointment at all , you could put 11 Mo Farah’s who will run all day but if they can’t play football you won’t win football matches .

don't think it's anything to do with our lacklustre squad? The previous manager struggled with it and so is another
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:12 pm

Not great some good bits of decent play. But they were very few and far between.

CJ needs to be played out wide now. We are lamping balls up to him and he's not even trying to win it (not really his fault in a way, he'd be beat every time)

He played well up front 2nd half of last season but our midfield weren't camped 20 yards from our own goal line last season.

You play your best players in their best positions. Maynard is our best striker so why isn't he playing the whole game? If he must come off then you swap like for like. We've 2 strikers on the bench, why bring on a winger and then carry on playing with wing backs.

After this. As this as soon as we got forwards we had Rose and Hamilton both on the right wing with the ball and once rose came off you had Hamilton and Davies on the left wing. Nobody in the box. Martina lamented us not crossing the ball during the commentary but the guy who is supposed to be in there ready for a cross has the possession on the left wing.

Fact of the matter is. Today's game was nothing new. You could have written the script pre game and got most of it bang on. It's the same tory that has happened in many of our games this season.

We are beaten and bruised and now have to limp over the line and get a good pre season in whoever is here next season.

I have to say though that it's obvious we can't see games out so why do we insist on taking a striker off, our best striker at that, and try and hold on? We're pants at it.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:13 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
wink68 wrote:

Precisely. It will also annoy Maynard no end, players like him want to see the game through, there’s goals to be had late on. He’ll be fuming now and we were lucky not to lose that.

Got to say, I’m beginning to feel pretty disappointed with Coughlan from a tactical point of view. I’ll give him
the benefit of doubt somewhat until he gets his own team
in but nevertheless he needs to learn quick. Just asking the team to run at 100mph isn’t enough unfortunately.

Nobody in midfield who is willing to get the ball down and play, they just want to get rid ASAP. It’s awful to watch and each of them as bad as each other in there.

Agree about his tactics.

Will be interesting to see how many players with genuine quality and flair at a league two level he’ll bring in this summer considering he’ll presumably have a big budget to work with.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:17 pm

BH_Stag wrote:

I don’t know if you were watching, but Maynard wasn’t blowing out of his arse at all, he was fine. All of a sudden Morecambe think, ‘Christ can’t believe they’ve taken the 2nd top scorer in the league off, let’s give this a go’... you know the rest.

Also, we’ve won 2 out of 11 since Coughlan came in, so whilst performances may have improved slightly, results haven’t improved.

His failure to track back at least 3 times in an 5 minute period showed me and the rest around me that he was struggling
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:18 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:
wink68 wrote:

Got to say, I’m beginning to feel pretty disappointed with Coughlan from a tactical point of view. I’ll give him

Agree about his tactics.

Will be interesting to see how many players with genuine quality and flair at a league two level he’ll bring in this summer considering he’ll presumably have a big budget to work with.

A lot of people on here aren’t to hear that players who will run loads isn’t enough. We’ve been banging our heads against that door for some time.

By the time Coughlan has his squad assembled, I expect us to be ‘hard working’ and structurally sound, but that is it.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:20 pm

Johnny H wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

His failure to track back at least 3 times in an 5 minute period showed me and the rest around me that he was struggling

Come on. He’s a goalscorer In the 70th minute. He’s not gonna be chasing around like a blue arsed fly - he works smart, not stupid and we were under no pressure until he went off. That’s the issue with us, all we care about is running and don’t have a care in the world for ability.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:21 pm

I am baffled by his taking Maynard off, he can produce goals out of nothing and as soon as he is subbed, up ranks the pressure. We cannot defend leads, why does the manager think we can hold on? We have conceded all season at the end of the game.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:24 pm

The substitutions seem to be upsetting our style every game now. We seemed well in control today until Maynard went off and looked likely to get a second.

As pointed out above, the last 10 minutes is Maynard's time to strike as the opposition push forward for the equaliser. He looked pretty peed off again when he went off and I don't blame him. Has GC left him on for a full match yet?

I could understand the Riley substitution as he appears to have picked up a knock, but what were the other two about? Davis contributes nothing and although I am a big CJ an, he looked a shadow today.

We need to improve quickly or we will be fighting to the bitter end. This squad is being broken up and they obviously know it and are playing accordingly. I just hope that we can have a good recruitment regime in the close season or we are down next year. I'm not convinced by the style of play so far but accept this may change with the change of players. If it doesn't we certainly won't be going up.
Last edited by Sandy Pate Best Stag on Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:25 pm

Johnny H wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

Why should a striker have to track back with 3 central midfielders behind him? He shouldn't.

Davies tracked back, as did Rose. Hard to counter a side if your own forward line is tracking back. I don't remember tyler walker tracking back much last season
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:29 pm

Exactly our LAS.

What makes him think they can do it. We have to kill the game dead because we can't see out a slender lead.

Anyway, another point over Stevenage.

Case closed.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby my name is jonas » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:31 pm

Steve Dale is gonna end up being our player of the season.
my name is jonas
First Team
First Team

Postby Sneag » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:33 pm

2 games unbeaten.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:37 pm

WVStag wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:
wink68 wrote:

Agree about his tactics.

A lot of people on here aren’t to hear that players who will run loads isn’t enough. We’ve been banging our heads against that door for some time.

By the time Coughlan has his squad assembled, I expect us to be ‘hard working’ and structurally sound, but that is it.

Got a horrible feeling that MacDonald and Tomlinson will be starting plenty of games next season when we inevitably give them both new contracts.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum