{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Paul Cox back in football management

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Paul Cox back in football management

Postby Jamie » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:05 pm

Curle got his team to the play offs. Some see that as a failure but following a relegation and with the budget he had I think it was a decent season.

Cox will rightly be remembered as a legend for getting us out of the hell hole conference. Dan's had a little hissy fit about my use of the word lucky. Perhaps lucky isnt right or fair but the turnaround and run we went on was certainly against the grain and kinda came out of nowhere. Many were ready to see him sacked in the Novemeber and we were miles off. The season before the same, but the post Christmas form did improve and we got the play offs.

As for Dearden. Show me his record... He didnt nothing outside of the 4/5 month period before he left. Many people credit Watkiss for half of that side and if was him who did the hard part and actually achieved something... I will always lose respect for anyone who goes from us to our rivals. Even more so given our position and theirs at the time. There is no way he wouldnt have been given an extension at some point. County aside, fine he left because of Haslam, but to then 'forgive all' and come back under him and oversea the start of the end of our league status doesnt sit well. I guess money talks? But what does that say about both parties. The football when he came back was awful 50/50 football with no plan, direction or chance of working- much like recently under JD. Hes a nice bloke, a knowledgeable football man no doubt but I'll never be able to really forgive what he did.

All that aside. It often feels like its luck. Some managers do well at one club only to fail at the next. The same ideas and methods work one week, month or season and not the next. Football and the results that ultimately drive the merry go round, is unpredictable and even more so at this level. Form can be everything and it can seemingly change for no reason.

With hindsight we shouldn't have sacked DF. But having done that it was wrong to appoint JD and right to replace him.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby magicstag » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:52 pm

Glad to see some else think dearden was to blame as much as anyone
For our fall into non-league.
magicstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Grendon Stag » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:16 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:Anyone who doesn't rate Cox as a manager is truly the clueless one. Our only manager who actually achieved anything of note for the last 15 years or so. Even when we got back in the league he did well considering, plus he is a lovely bloke and actually cared about the club.

Very good manager in Non League but his football during his last season in the EFL would have sent a glass eye to sleep.
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:23 pm

Grendon Stag wrote:
Hjeldefan wrote:Anyone who doesn't rate Cox as a manager is truly the clueless one. Our only manager who actually achieved anything of note for the last 15 years or so. Even when we got back in the league he did well considering, plus he is a lovely bloke and actually cared about the club.

Very good manager in Non League but his football during his last season in the EFL would have sent a glass eye to sleep.

Surely you've confused him with Adam Murray :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:34 pm

Jamie wrote:Curle got his team to the play offs. Some see that as a failure but following a relegation and with the budget he had I think it was a decent season.

Cox will rightly be remembered as a legend for getting us out of the hell hole conference. Dan's had a little hissy fit about my use of the word lucky. Perhaps lucky isnt right or fair but the turnaround and run we went on was certainly against the grain and kinda came out of nowhere. Many were ready to see him sacked in the Novemeber and we were miles off. The season before the same, but the post Christmas form did improve and we got the play offs.

As for Dearden. Show me his record... He didnt nothing outside of the 4/5 month period before he left. Many people credit Watkiss for half of that side and if was him who did the hard part and actually achieved something... I will always lose respect for anyone who goes from us to our rivals. Even more so given our position and theirs at the time. There is no way he wouldnt have been given an extension at some point. County aside, fine he left because of Haslam, but to then 'forgive all' and come back under him and oversea the start of the end of our league status doesnt sit well. I guess money talks? But what does that say about both parties. The football when he came back was awful 50/50 football with no plan, direction or chance of working- much like recently under JD. Hes a nice bloke, a knowledgeable football man no doubt but I'll never be able to really forgive what he did.

All that aside. It often feels like its luck. Some managers do well at one club only to fail at the next. The same ideas and methods work one week, month or season and not the next. Football and the results that ultimately drive the merry go round, is unpredictable and even more so at this level. Form can be everything and it can seemingly change for no reason.

With hindsight we shouldn't have sacked DF. But having done that it was wrong to appoint JD and right to replace him.

Beep beep beep this vehicle is reversing :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also I've told you numerous times on here but you choose to ignore it, but Billy was told he WOULDN'T be getting an extension at the end of the season and that is why he went to Notts. Believe it or not, that's up to you, but it came right from the horses mouth at his press conference unveiling as Notts manager.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:46 pm

Jamie wrote:Perhaps lucky isnt right or fair but the turnaround and run we went on was certainly against the grain and kinda came out of nowhere. Many were ready to see him sacked in the Novemeber and we were miles off. The season before the same, but the post Christmas form did improve and we got the play offs

Cox won 16 out of the last 20 matches the season before he won the league. Before that he'd had similar late season "lucky" runs with Eastwood. To call that "improved form" is an understatement, and only the stupidest fans would have thought that the title-winning run was "out of nowhere", when it was his usual style. Although I do recall some on here assuming that he'd be sacked after the average early season form, and a lot of bold promises about eating hats should the team get promoted.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:03 am

Jamie wrote:Curle got his team to the play offs. Some see that as a failure but following a relegation and with the budget he had I think it was a decent season.

Billy's bigger acheivement was keeping Stags in the league in his first full season here. He came into a club with half a ground & about 8 players, just a few weeks before the season started. The squad had hardly any pre-season.
After that opening day 6-0 hammering & the home defeat by Cheltenham, with a squad patched up with kids & players brought out of retirement, I really thought we were doomed.
The reason we had no squad in the first place was Haslam's reluctance to pay wages on time. If I recall Haslam also sold our best player early doors that season, when Peacock went to Man City.
To finish mid table in those circumstances was miraculous.

In his second season he brought through the kids that would for the spine of the squad in the promotion campaign. During this time BD had to put up with Lower West dickheads regularly surrounding the dug outs and hurling abuse at him in what was a mediocre consolidating season. These clowns may also have contributed to BD moving to County, remember this is why the dugouts were moved in the first place.

I've got nothing but respect for Billy, he produced an amazing squad under very difficult circumstances, and I'd never blame him for not wanting to work with Haslam any longer.

I was actually sorry to see him come back, because the club was already on a terminal downward spiral & he would never be able to replicate what he'd done previously. In the end that tainted the legacy of one of the best managers we ever had.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:55 pm

Kettering are up to 18th in NLN so he must know something about management.
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Johnny H » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:08 pm

Paul Cox has a particular style of play that if he has the right kind of players is very difficult to beat.
His teams are fitter and stronger than others and have a good balance of talent and flair to match.

The Cowley brothers are very similar in style but have been more fortunate in the media coverage afforded to them which has seen the (deservedly to be fair) get a move to a Championship club.

Paul Cox should be fondly remembered for his achievements at MTFC.....I rated him as a manager and I do think that if we had given him 2-3 years in the league and allowed him to get used to it we would have been challenging for promotions.
Not the prettiest football......but his overall record shows that winning football matches is what he's good at !!!
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:37 pm

Cox did a great job. He led us to a very respectable 11th in his first season in the EFL before his budget was slashed to less than half of the budget enjoyed by Evans, Flitcroft and Dempster.

The idea that the bad form in his last season was purely his fault is ludicrous. He was working on an absolute shoe string, leaving us shopping in Poundland whilst the competition were shopping in Waitrose
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:04 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Cox did a great job. He led us to a very respectable 11th in his first season in the EFL before his budget was slashed to less than half of the budget enjoyed by Evans, Flitcroft and Dempster.

The idea that the bad form in his last season was purely his fault is ludicrous. He was working on an absolute shoe string, leaving us shopping in Poundland whilst the competition were shopping in Waitrose

I agree and he had a horrendous injury list to deal with.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:31 pm

Uh oh. On that last morecambe attack all our 11 players were no more than 40 yards from our own goal line.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:32 pm

Cj Hamilton on for nicky Maynard.

Brave.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:34 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Cj Hamilton on for nicky Maynard.

Brave.

Is it me or you on wrong thread gazza
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:38 pm

The One wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Cj Hamilton on for nicky Maynard.

Brave.

Is it me or you on wrong thread gazza

Nope not you it's me
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:05 pm

Alistair Smith and Jason Law both started in Kettering's 3-0 win over Brackley Town in the Northants Senior Cup on Tuesday night. Alistair Smith tees up Jason Law for a shot which is tipped over the bar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdB83iFX0KI

Kettering drew 1-1 today away at Altrincham. It looks from the photos in the tweets that Alistair Smith must have started as he is pictured in the celebrations for the Poppies' goal in the 1st half.

Paul Cox is not happy like GC because Kettering conceded a goal in the 2nd half from a set piece.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:50 am

Dan wrote:

Also I've told you numerous times on here but you choose to ignore it, but Billy was told he WOULDN'T be getting an extension at the end of the season and that is why he went to Notts. Believe it or not, that's up to you, but it came right from the horses mouth at his press conference unveiling as Notts manager.

So you think Haslam would just let his promotion achieving manager walk for no reason what so ever when his deal expired come the summer? Your hate for the man makes you incapable of rational thought... it always has.

There isnt a single reason why he wouldnt have been kept if hed just taken us up. Clearly he wanted a deal there and then and was rightly told to wait till you've achieved something. And rightly so. If that makes me a Haslam apologist or the devil i dont care one bit.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:54 am

Jamie wrote:
Dan wrote:

So you think Haslam would just let his promotion achieving manager walk for no reason what so ever when his deal expired come the summer? Your hate for the man makes you incapable of rational thought... it always has.

There isnt a single reason why he wouldnt have been kept if hed just taken us up. Clearly he wanted a deal there and then and was rightly told to wait till you've achieved something. And rightly so. If that makes me a Haslam apologist or the devil i dont care one bit.

He'd taken 6 players and a bunch of kids and moulded them into a fantastic promotion side to watch.

Yet you'd have made him wait!!!

Personal abuse removed by Martin - please cut it out
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:57 am

If you think the manager holding the club to ransom is ok then we'll have to agree to disagree. No need for personal abuse either way. Debate like an adult or dont bother.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:18 pm

Jamie wrote:If you think the manager holding the club to ransom is ok then we'll have to agree to disagree. No need for personal abuse either way. Debate like an adult or dont bother.

And you know how much he wanted do you, another "in the know"
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:01 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Jamie wrote:If you think the manager holding the club to ransom is ok then we'll have to agree to disagree. No need for personal abuse either way. Debate like an adult or dont bother.

He knows nothing. I’ve told him so many times over the years but he’s that far up H*slams arse he can’t see. BD wasn’t holding anyone to ransom. His contract ended at the end of the season so he asked if he would be getting a new one, he was told he wasn’t which was absolutely ridiculous & when it got out Notts County made an approach for him and he went there. Who can blame him. He lived in chesterfield so it was another job on his doorstep at a bigger club. Anyone with a brain would’ve taken the job, maybe even you Jamie.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:10 pm

Dan wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

He knows nothing. I’ve told him so many times over the years but he’s that far up H*slams arse he can’t see. BD wasn’t holding anyone to ransom. His contract ended at the end of the season so he asked if he would be getting a new one, he was told he wasn’t which was absolutely ridiculous & when it got out Notts County made an approach for him and he went there. Who can blame him. He lived in chesterfield so it was another job on his doorstep at a bigger club. Anyone with a brain would’ve taken the job, maybe even you Jamie.

When this new Hilton opens at the stadium, Dan and Jamie should get a room.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:37 pm

Jamie Bill Dearden has a lot of affection for MTFC, despite Haslam making his job a nightmare.

As Dan says he was forced to move. Haslam showed very little gratitude for what Bill Dearden achieved.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:57 pm

Another thread resulting in argument and name calling. Another thread where Dan is in the thick of it
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:13 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Another thread resulting in argument and name calling. Another thread where Dan is in the thick of it

Have you worked out what a tasce is yet by the way?
Dan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum