{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Pilgrims Scorefred sponsored by Follow The Yellow Brick Rd

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Pilgrims Scorefred sponsored by Follow The Yellow Brick Rd

Postby Johnny Rotten » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:51 pm

Debutant here, please be gentle, but perhaps with the January transfer window now open maybe not the only debutant this weekend...

This weekend takes us to the West Country as we make our seasonal pilgrimage to Home Park.

And for those of Mansfield and District what easier fixture to have than one simple road - Therefore Follow the Yellow Brick Road aka the A38 - and you can't go far wrong.

It'll be a tough one but the pressure will no doubt be on the home side

COYS
Last edited by Johnny Rotten on Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Re: Pilgrims Scorethread sponsored by Follow The Yellow Bric

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:10 pm

would take a point here
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:16 pm

3-0 Plymouth.

It will be interesting to see what GC does in midfield, especially if a new midfielder or two hasn’t been brought in by Saturday.

Tomlinson is out for a few weeks, so will he bring back Mellis to pair with Bishop, shift Macca inside and start Khan on the wing despite him being out of favour with GC, or will he commit managerial suicide and start Smith with Bishop?

I would also start Hayden White at right back to better deal with Danny Mayor. White’s pace, athleticism and experience is better equipped to negate Mayor - he’s a much better one on one defender than Clarke, even though I think Clarke has held up okay-ish for the most part in previous games. I think he’d have Clarke on toast with Clarke being so young.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:18 pm

got a thumping written all over it !!!!!
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:27 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:3-0 Plymouth.

It will be interesting to see what GC does in midfield, especially if a new midfielder or two hasn’t been brought in by Saturday.

Tomlinson is out for a few weeks, so will he bring back Mellis to pair with Bishop, shift Macca inside and start Khan on the wing despite him being out of favour with GC, or will he commit managerial suicide and start Smith with Bishop?

I would also start Hayden White at right back to better deal with Danny Mayor. White’s pace, athleticism and experience is better equipped to negate Mayor - he’s a much better one on one defender than Clarke, even though I think Clarke has held up okay-ish for the most part in previous games. I think he’d have Clarke on toast with Clarke being so young.

Clarke would be fine if he wasn’t regularly exposed by our non-functioning midfield. Hi task hasn’t been helped by the strange performances by his “senior” colleagues in centre defence.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:37 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:3-0 Plymouth.

Clarke would be fine if he wasn’t regularly exposed by our non-functioning midfield. Hi task hasn’t been helped by the strange performances by his “senior” colleagues in centre defence.

You raise a good point. He has been left exposed on several occasions. White’s still better equipped to defend against Danny Mayor though, thus giving us a better chance at getting a positive result.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:49 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:got a thumping written all over it !!!!!

This, it's gonna be tough, plenty of reasons why.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:04 pm

According to Google, home park is 8 yards wider than our pitch (they are both the same length). So in relation to our ground that would be (approximately) the advertising hoardings being the touchlines. We leave Clarke exposed with that kind of space I can see him having a torrid time. Especially if Macca is on right wing and he decides to float inside. Imagine Danny Mayor having a free run at Clarke with an extra 4 yards of space.

To quote star wars. I've got a bad feeling about this. The saving grace is CJ also gets 4 yards of extra space. Just depends which defence and midfield turns up. Which is the story of our season.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:39 pm

;) Need to stop Friiggin in the Riggin , Looking Pretty Vacant, Rise & Open Up, stop the Anarchy in the MTFC & God save the CEO Queen :oops:

Welcome Johnny hope you got the magic touch would love you to win Taters prize.

Pilgrims 1 Super Stags 2 Rick O'Shea and own goal of the lines man :lol:
Last edited by STAGS FOR LIFE on Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:42 pm

Our record there is dreadful and with it looking like things are moving slowly for us in the transfer market I can’t see anything other than a comprehensive home win.

Good point raised above about the big pitch - it does always seem a huge pitch there and if we have Bishop, Smith, and Clarke in the side we’re going to get seriously exposed.

Bit harsh on Clarke perhaps because he’s been relatively OK for a young lad (which lowers expectation), but he is a bit suspect 1v1 and I don’t think he’s got the legs for it. We all know the story in midfield too.

4-0 I fear.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:05 pm

Plymouth firing now so can’t see anything other than a defeat.

3-1 Plymouth.

I just hope we can stay up, can’t wait to get this season out the way.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:07 pm

Bradford at home after Plymouth seems like another near certain loss too...
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:10 pm

Yes, i agree, we're going to get walloped.

I'd settle for a positive reaction from the players, effort and least trying to take the game to them. Sit back and soak up pressure and we are doomed.

I'd rather lose 4 3 then 1 0
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:11 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:Bradford at home after Plymouth seems like another near certain loss too...

Whoa!! There!! Do you mind if I get depressed one game at a time please. Can’t handle two at once. :cry: :cry:
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:23 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:Bradford at home after Plymouth seems like another near certain loss too...

Don't agree re: Bradford. I know we're terrible at home, but they've not won away since the 12th October and that was at Morecambe. Their other two away wins were against Walsall who were 21st at the time, and Stevenage. Since their last win on the road they've failed to beat Macclesfield, Orient and Carlisle, all of whom are struggling. Plus we played them two weeks ago and they were garbage, only beating us thanks to our own stupidity.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:45 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

Don't agree re: Bradford. I know we're terrible at home, but they've not won away since the 12th October and that was at Morecambe. Their other two away wins were against Walsall who were 21st at the time, and Stevenage. Since their last win on the road they've failed to beat Macclesfield, Orient and Carlisle, all of whom are struggling. Plus we played them two weeks ago and they were garbage, only beating us thanks to our own stupidity.

I can see where you’re coming from. However we’re always that team that ends other teams poor runs of form. Forest Green had only won 1 in 11 before they beat us last week. Bradford had only won 1 in 9 before they beat us. Grimsby hadn’t won any of their last 7 away games ( and 1 in their last 10) in all comps before they beat us 1-0 with 10 men.

We are the perfect team to play against for anyone on a ‘poor run’ of some description.

We’ll probably get outplayed and deserve to lose. If it’s not that we’ll again make stupid mistakes to gift them goals like we did at their place. If it’s not that, we’ll miss a number of golden chances to score ourselves. If it’s not that, we’ll concede late on like we did against Forest Green when we let them build pressure until they scored.

There’s no reason for us to have any belief in this current crop of players to pull off a result against good teams. We’ve currently got no bottle, no grit and no ideas. If we can bring in a few good new faces then maybe that will change our fortunes for the better.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Re: Pilgrims Scorefred sponsored by Follow The Yellow Brick

Postby part time pete » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:07 pm

I didn’t think we started Fred’s until Wednesday?

Will this be a good omen or not Johnny?
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:08 pm

On paper this should be a 4 or 5 0 walk in the park with the midfield Missing without action but I can see this being one of those shock results and stags nicking it 1 0
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:15 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

I can see where you’re coming from. However we’re always that team that ends other teams poor runs of form. Forest Green had only won 1 in 11 before they beat us last week. Bradford had only won 1 in 9 before they beat us. Grimsby hadn’t won any of their last 7 away games ( and 1 in their last 10) in all comps before they beat us 1-0 with 10 men.

We are the perfect team to play against for anyone on a ‘poor run’ of some description.

We’ll probably get outplayed and deserve to lose. If it’s not that we’ll again make stupid mistakes to gift them goals like we did at their place. If it’s not that, we’ll miss a number of golden chances to score ourselves. If it’s not that, we’ll concede late on like we did against Forest Green when we let them build pressure until they scored.

There’s no reason for us to have any belief in this current crop of players to pull off a result against good teams. We’ve currently got no bottle, no grit and no ideas. If we can bring in a few good new faces then maybe that will change our fortunes for the better.

I bet you've only got a few dregs left in your pint pot never mind half empty.

Give the management some credit for instilling a bit of backbone (and possibly a few new players) for a match that's still the best part of two weeks away. Things can improve you know even if you don't want them to.

I'll predict a win for that one to build on the point we get at Plymouth.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Surfingstag1 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:21 pm

5 of us going from Cornwall.....so I predict 5 goals.....I think it will be closer than a lot of Staggies are predicting.Fingers crossed that it swings our way.Either way we'll have a great day our supporting our team!!
Surfingstag1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:37 pm

This has been put up way too early.

Spells disaster and we know who to blame when we get spanked.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:39 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Give the management some credit for instilling a bit of backbone (and possibly a few new players) for a match that's still the best part of two weeks away. Things can improve you know even if you don't want them to.

Can’t believe you’ve just said we’ve now got some backbone :lol:

We’ve just lost to Grimsby at home when they had 10 men for 80 minutes, and they’d not won in their last 7 away games. We then equalised in the 91st minute on Saturday and still lost.

If we get a win from any of these next two games I’ll eat my hat. I’ll be more than happy to be proven wrong though! :lol:

We’ll see how our brand new backbone holds up at Plymouth.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:56 pm

A slug has more backbone than our team atm. And more pace!!!
Can’t see anything other than a Plymouth victory unfortunately. It would be great to get something but doubt it will happen.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:58 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Can’t believe you’ve just said we’ve now got some backbone :lol:

We’ve just lost to Grimsby at home when they had 10 men for 80 minutes, and they’d not won in their last 7 away games. We then equalised in the 91st minute on Saturday and still lost.

If we get a win from any of these next two games I’ll eat my hat. I’ll be more than happy to be proven wrong though! :lol:

We’ll see how our brand new backbone holds up at Plymouth.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :)

Just try reading the post properly mr pessimistic and you will see I refer to a time still nearly two weeks away following intensive work on the training pitch. If you haven't noticed an increase (although small) in bottle since GC arrived you've not watched much. Even CJ has been getting stuck in and giving a few fouls away. Things can improve with effort and togetherness instead of undermining everything and every time.

Hope your hat is well seasoned. :) :D :D :D
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:23 pm

Sandy, I did read your post and you didn’t mention training did you in your first post. You also said give credit to GC for instilling backbone for a match that’s not happened yet. I’m gonna have to see more than CJ tripping a couple of players up to convince me that this current squad has some newfound bottle, grit and backbone.

I’m confident that GC will get us competing at the right end of the table next season when he’s brought proper players in that suit his preferred style of play. Until then I’ve seen nothing to suggest that we won’t continue to struggle a lot. We know that the lion share of this squad isn’t up to it.

Hopefully, White is back starting every week, Gordon comes back and starts on the right wing to replace MacDonald, and we sign a few good players this month to remove some of the absolute dross we have starting every week. If these things happen then we should improve a bit.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum