{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Coughlan press conference Tue 15 Jan

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Coughlan press conference Tue 15 Jan

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:10 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Coughlan press conference Tue 15 Jan

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:15 am

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby stag861 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:24 am

I thought KP showed leadership & voice to provide the winning goal at Cambridge.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:43 am

Says a lot about Bishops leadership imo, or lack of.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:49 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:Says a lot about Bishops leadership imo, or lack of.

Yes it does. I always thought he was a leader on the field. It’s a big part of him. If he’s now lacking you have to ask why. It’s either ability or attitude.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:06 pm

Makes me wonder if he's come down hard on Pearce (as he has admitted) because of things he has heard from Sheffield Wednesday. Being an ex player and still living in the city, he would have heard all the venom directed at Pearce by the fans and possibly the club. It's difficult not to let yourself be influenced even if you try not to be.

I just hope they have sorted it out whatever the cause and it's probably just my suspicious mind making five.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:10 pm

bellwhiff wrote:

Yes it does. I always thought he was a leader on the field. It’s a big part of him. If he’s now lacking you have to ask why. It’s either ability or attitude.

I think he's a clown on the field. He's always seems more preoccupied with the referee or getting involved with another player. He's always finger pointing, blaming rather than helping.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:29 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

I think he's a clown on the field. He's always seems more preoccupied with the referee or getting involved with another player. He's always finger pointing, blaming rather than helping.

Completely agree.

Winds me up no end when he’s waving his arms about at somebody else in frustration when the opposition stroll through our midfield at will nearly every week.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:39 pm

Sounds like the manager is back tracking to me which shows weakness to the players
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:56 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:00 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Makes me wonder if he's come down hard on Pearce (as he has admitted) because of things he has heard from Sheffield Wednesday. Being an ex player and still living in the city, he would have heard all the venom directed at Pearce by the fans and possibly the club. It's difficult not to let yourself be influenced even if you try not to be.

I just hope they have sorted it out whatever the cause and it's probably just my suspicious mind making five.

What an absolutely ridiculous thing to speculate.
Last edited by Cleveland_Stag on Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:02 pm

Billy the fish wrote:Sounds like the manager is back tracking to me which shows weakness to the players

I think the interview highlights weren't actually clear to the fans. He's told the players they can leave if they don't want to dig deep. don't think there is a backtrack, just more lack of clarity on the interview.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:20 pm

Here's the full comments on Pearce from the official site : https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2020/january/gaffer-pre-plymouth/

“I might have been a little harsh on Krystian when I came through the door. I was expecting better levels from my captain and looking for that leadership.

“I had a conversation with Krystian and I do think the club was lacking a little bit of leadership. I’ve probably come in all-guns-blazing towards my skipper, when it all probably wasn’t his fault.

But I’ll always come to my skipper if the changing room is not functioning right. I’ve had a good chat with him and we’re on the same page – I’m looking for a reaction, not just from Krystian but from everybody really, to be honest.”
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:54 pm

Honestly think leadership on the pitch has been the biggest thing missing, imo.

1 or 2 galvanising players would do wonders for us
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:04 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:18 pm

Reading between the lines here. He came in all guns blazing at the skipper, I guess the skipper takes some responsibility because ehes the one meant to direct them on the pitch and maintain togetherness. Perhaps GC has learned something that no captain would control which explains the "too harsh" and "not his fault" line. GC comes across as a hard but fair man, he's publicly said pearce can leave and learned something which prompt a "clearing of Pearce’s name". There were alot of things this season that you could argue were Pearce’s fault on the pitch.

What he's learned could be anything. Rivalries among the players, disagreements among the players. Or it could just be something as simple as pearce has been playing with an injury, like Kellan Gordon was, and it was affecting his performances. Players like Gordon had a noticeable drop off before it was revealed he was playing through the pain barrier. You could argue its the same with pearce. That's just one guess.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:37 pm

I think KP will be captain at Plymouth.... GC wants a reaction, tell KP he can leave I'd expect him to come back fighting rather than walking away.

Mellis will be off. Think he's used to clubs binning him off..might end up at county.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:43 pm

Billy the fish wrote:Sounds like the manager is back tracking to me which shows weakness to the players

I don’t see that at all. He’s come in like a new RSM and made a mark.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:40 pm

I have to say that The Chad articles, although the website is unbearable, are much more informative and give more context as to what Coughlan actually said.

For example, he said he is targeting a defender and midfielder first and foremost, but will strengthen any position if better players are available. He is looking for two to three players, but finding it hard as clubs are saying they won’t let players out in January and clubs and agents asking for silly money. He is a tight Irishman and won’t be held to ransom. Hoping to get a couple in this week, if not next week.

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/we-wont-be-held-ransom-over-transfers-warns-mansfield-town-boss-graham-coughlan-1364957
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:43 pm

the full interview is available on iFollow.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:03 pm

Two more minutes here of the 15 minute interview available on iFollow

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Billy the fish » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:27 pm

The think is whiffy lad you don’t show your captain the door and tell him he’s surplus to requirements if you rate them . Pearce n Mellis will know only to well if they don’t find a club this January they will be looking definitely for a new one come May.
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:45 pm

Billy the fish wrote:

The think is whiffy lad you don’t show your captain the door and tell him he’s surplus to requirements if you rate them . Pearce n Mellis will know only to well if they don’t find a club this January they will be looking definitely for a new one come May.

He hasn't shown KP the door though has he? He's not transfer listed. It seems to me he's trying to find the players who want to give their all for the club by giving them the option to either bugger off or stay and fight for a shirt.

I can't imagine mellis will stay though, the only fight he's got is in town centre at 4 in the morning.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:50 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:

He hasn't shown KP the door though has he? He's not transfer listed. It seems to me he's trying to find the players who want to give their all for the club by giving them the option to either bugger off or stay and fight for a shirt.

I can't imagine mellis will stay though, the only fight he's got is in town centre at 4 in the morning.

He's seen two talented lads, one who's been here a while, both underperforming and shoved a rocket up their arse... balls in their court now. Good management, and dempster never would have had the balls to do anything about players under performing.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:54 pm

Of the two, I think KP is more likely to rise to the challenge.

Would like to see him stay, but only if he can get back to his best.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum