{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report Forest Green game

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report Forest Green game

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:20 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19495
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:43 pm

You can add bad defending by the strikers Martin, well Rose anyway. That free kick he gave away for the first goal was brainless.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6073
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:13 am

The linesman should have had an excellent view of the handball.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6560
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:44 pm

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Chander Lear » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:22 am

Dreadful midfield


A defence can only soak up so much

Smith waste of time... youth or not, doest have the credentials
Chander Lear
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4065
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:04 am

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Chacawab » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:09 am

MTFCMusings wrote:You can add bad defending by the strikers Martin, well Rose anyway. That free kick he gave away for the first goal was brainless.


Agreed it was a needless foul so late in the half but thought it was Macca who committed the foul?
Chacawab
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:55 am

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:19 am

Plus......

The ref was pants
Edders
User avatar
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8246
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:24 pm
Location: Edwinstowe

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Bridgford Stag » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:14 pm

Heres my ratings Martin

Bobby 6 (some cracking saves that kept us in it but let down by poor defending in front of him)
Clarkey 6 (got caught out on a couple of occasions but kept on regardless with tbf with encouragement from other players. Did well)
Preston 4.5 (why oh why keep giving away needless free kicks?)
Sweeney 5 (just and a so so game)
Mal 5 (another so so game)
Bish 5.5 (just and did try lots)
Tomlinson 5 (until went off)
Macca 5 (just and did look out of puff)
CJ 5 (because of his goal - that was all reallyl)
Maynard 5.5 (good goal and did try)
Rose 5.5 (good goal and did try)

Subs
Smith 4 (not a good game to bring him in...looks slow and lethargic and not upto speed imo...maybe a loan out required?)
Khan 5 (ran around and harried)
Cooky 4 (ineffective again)

MOM for me was Clarkey with Bobby just behind

I'm being possibly a tad generous on some scores especially the defenders but hey ho!
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 926
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby SidneyOttewell » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:30 pm

I thought the board showed 4 mins at the end of the first half, not 5?
User avatar
SidneyOttewell
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:25 pm
Location: Mansfield

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Bridgford Stag » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:36 pm

SidneyOttewell wrote:I thought the board showed 4 mins at the end of the first half, not 5?


Yes and at the end of the second half was 'extra time'. Stuff happens.

But...maybe we were a bit gung ho after we equalised (with hindsight) and tried for the winner.?

A point at 90 minutes was good enough for me.
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 926
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby SidneyOttewell » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:45 pm

Bridgford Stag wrote:
SidneyOttewell wrote:I thought the board showed 4 mins at the end of the first half, not 5?


Yes and at the end of the second half was 'extra time'. Stuff happens.

But...maybe we were a bit gung ho after we equalised (with hindsight) and tried for the winner.?

A point at 90 minutes was good enough for me.


I was referring to Martin's match report.
User avatar
SidneyOttewell
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:25 pm
Location: Mansfield

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:47 pm

Bridgford Stag wrote:
SidneyOttewell wrote:I thought the board showed 4 mins at the end of the first half, not 5?


Yes and at the end of the second half was 'extra time'. Stuff happens.

But...maybe we were a bit gung ho after we equalised (with hindsight) and tried for the winner.?

A point at 90 minutes was good enough for me.


Olejnik said the same. There was a moment in added on time where he had the ball for what seemed an eternity whilst most fans were berating him to 'gerrit forrad'. I was one of them. In hindsight a point would have been decent, but the emotions take you when you've squandered a two goal lead.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6073
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:09 pm

SidneyOttewell wrote:I thought the board showed 4 mins at the end of the first half, not 5?

thank you. I misread my notes. Amended.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19495
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:40 pm

I'd give Alex MacDonald a higher rating as he had two assists. He got to Mal Benning's cross first which then allowed CJ Hamilton to nip in and score. He also took the long throw to Danny Rose that was headed in. He also made 8 of Mansfield's 12 key passes according to whoscored.com.

James Clarke was at fault for the winning goal. He should have stopped the cross. I think it is CJ Hamilton as well that lets Aaron Collins have a free run into the area.

The whoscored stats are interesting on possession and accurate passes for midfield players.

Possession
Macdonald 4.4
Bishop 4.3
CJ Hamilton 3.8
Smith 2.3
Tomlinson 1

Accurate Passes
Macdonald 16
Bishop 14
CJ Hamilton 11
Smith 9
Tomlinson 5

Forest Green Rovers
Possession
Adams 7.5
Winchester 6.3
Mills 7.4
Aitchison 4.5
Brown 3.8

Accurate Passes
Adams 34
Mills 34
Winchester 33
Aitchison 21
Brown 20

Ebou Adams and Joseph Mills would definitely be in my League 2 squad for the best players I've seen this season.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6560
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:44 pm

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:43 pm

Ebou Adams was fantastic for FGR. The agility of their midfield three compared to ours was there for all to see.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6073
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Bradders » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:48 pm

Bridgford Stag wrote:Heres my ratings Martin

Bobby 6 (some cracking saves that kept us in it but let down by poor defending in front of him)
Clarkey 6 (got caught out on a couple of occasions but kept on regardless with tbf with encouragement from other players. Did well)
Preston 4.5 (why oh why keep giving away needless free kicks?)
Sweeney 5 (just and a so so game)
Mal 5 (another so so game)
Bish 5.5 (just and did try lots)
Tomlinson 5 (until went off)
Macca 5 (just and did look out of puff)
CJ 5 (because of his goal - that was all reallyl)
Maynard 5.5 (good goal and did try)
Rose 5.5 (good goal and did try)

Subs
Smith 4 (not a good game to bring him in...looks slow and lethargic and not upto speed imo...maybe a loan out required?)
Khan 5 (ran around and harried)
Cooky 4 (ineffective again)

MOM for me was Clarkey with Bobby just behind

I'm being possibly a tad generous on some scores especially the defenders but hey ho!

CJ ran the Forest Green defence ragged in the first half and was our most effective player, although Macdonald tops the stats overall and even though I didn't think he had a great game has to pick up some plaudits again.
Cook seems well off the pace, and I don't recall him getting the ball under control at any point. Smith doesn't appear to have any notion of positioning and looked out of his depth. It would be a kindness to send him on loan to a non-league side.
User avatar
Bradders
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3503
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:58 pm

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby part time pete » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:51 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Ebou Adams was fantastic for FGR. The agility of their midfield three compared to ours was there for all to see.


I also thought Adams was the best player at FGR when we drew as well.
Can we play Accrington Stanley every week.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager
 
Posts: 6178
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:39 pm

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:00 pm

Bradders wrote:
Bridgford Stag wrote:Heres my ratings Martin

Bobby 6 (some cracking saves that kept us in it but let down by poor defending in front of him)
Clarkey 6 (got caught out on a couple of occasions but kept on regardless with tbf with encouragement from other players. Did well)
Preston 4.5 (why oh why keep giving away needless free kicks?)
Sweeney 5 (just and a so so game)
Mal 5 (another so so game)
Bish 5.5 (just and did try lots)
Tomlinson 5 (until went off)
Macca 5 (just and did look out of puff)
CJ 5 (because of his goal - that was all reallyl)
Maynard 5.5 (good goal and did try)
Rose 5.5 (good goal and did try)

Subs
Smith 4 (not a good game to bring him in...looks slow and lethargic and not upto speed imo...maybe a loan out required?)
Khan 5 (ran around and harried)
Cooky 4 (ineffective again)

MOM for me was Clarkey with Bobby just behind

I'm being possibly a tad generous on some scores especially the defenders but hey ho!

CJ ran the Forest Green defence ragged in the first half and was our most effective player, although Macdonald tops the stats overall and even though I didn't think he had a great game has to pick up some plaudits again.
Cook seems well off the pace, and I don't recall him getting the ball under control at any point. Smith doesn't appear to have any notion of positioning and looked out of his depth. It would be a kindness to send him on loan to a non-league side.


The one time he did, we scored.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6073
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:49 pm

Great battling by Alex MacDonald and CJ Hamilton for the first goal when we only had 10 men on the pitch. It also started from a Mal Benning throw in which was our 5th league goal of the season starting from a throw in. It was CJ's 15th league goal and 20th goal in total.

I loved our second goal. Long throw by Alex MacDonald. Headed in by Danny Rose. Simples. 6th league goal of the season starting with a throw in. Danny Rose’s 35th league goal for the Stags and 41st in total. The Stags 8th league goal from a header (Maynard 3, Rose 2, Cook 2 and Pearce).

Criminal defending at set pieces for Forest Green Rovers first two goals with Fernand Rawson losing Matt Preston for the first goal and bullying Ryan Sweeney out of the way for the 2nd goal. We had nobody on the back post for the second goal but they may not have stopped Rawson’s header. Questions also asked about Bobby Olejnik if an attacking player is heading them in from balls crossed into the 6 yard box. Conrad Logan would have been slaughtered for both goals. The Stags have conceded 4 league goals from free kicks and five from corners. 9 goals conceded have been headers.

Mansfield switched off from a throw in for FGR's 3rd goal. Surely Alistair Smith should have been marking Carl Winchester. Neal Bishop was marking Ebou Adams. Alistair was stood very deep next to the two centre halfs marking Junior Mondial. He didn't need to be there. Another player should have told him to get on Winchester.

Great determination by James Clarke for Stags' 3rd goal to win the ball from FGR’s clearance from Otis Khan’s cross. He then played a lovely pass for Nicky Maynard to finish. Nicky Maynard’s 12th goal for the Stags in 22(4) starts

James Clarke was at fault for FGR's winning goal. He should have stopped the cross. I think it is CJ Hamilton as well that lets Aaron Collins have a free run into the area.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6560
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:44 pm

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby part time pete » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:45 pm

Just before their fourth goal CJ got a knock and was limping. This might explain CJ’s lack of tracking back.
Can we play Accrington Stanley every week.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager
 
Posts: 6178
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:39 pm

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:47 pm

Alex MacDonald has been better. I've been his biggest critic for his barging and attempted "flashy passes". He does appear to have stopped it past 2 games and looks a better player for it. Still tries the odd flashy pass but not as often as he did, but credit where its due. Either Coughlan has picked up on it or he comes on here for career advice, I think I can guess which is true :lol:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
User avatar
gazza1988
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6350
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:23 pm
Location: Beeston, Nottingham

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:53 pm

Am I correct in thinking this match marks the failure of our pre season target of 25 clean sheets?

*Corr: it was the game vs. Grimsby. 5 clean sheets this season, could barely have failed that goal faster.
PYHBO! Issue 3(OUT SOON!)

twitter.com/SatiricalStag (on temporary hiatus)
User avatar
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1667
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:17 am

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby part time pete » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:16 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:Am I correct in thinking this match marks the failure of our pre season target of 25 clean sheets?

*Corr: it was the game vs. Grimsby. 5 clean sheets this season, could barely have failed that goal faster.



We can still make auto promotion and 81 points though. ;) ;)
Can we play Accrington Stanley every week.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager
 
Posts: 6178
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:39 pm

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:50 pm

I think the thread police now need to issue some guidelines on the titles for Martin's "Stagsnet Report" thread so we can work out which game it is referring to. :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6560
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:44 pm

Re: Stagsnet report Forest Green game

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:05 pm

Stagsnet riport on the veggies?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
User avatar
gazza1988
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6350
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:23 pm
Location: Beeston, Nottingham


Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bob ledgers barber, Stagsfan11 and 52 guests