{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The players need to take some responsibility

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

The players need to take some responsibility

Postby Random Hero » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:36 pm

- Waltzing around like they’re playing Worksop Town in a pre season friendly
- Static as soon as the ball is lost - completely uninterested in winning it back
- Zero desire to get forward and support when attacking
- Talking to each other about as much as I talk to my ex
- Giving an already struggling manager absolutely no commitment to try to dig him and the team out of a hole

You can’t keep blaming lack of fitness, lack of tactical nous etc. They’re professional footballers for crying out loud.

Not going to name names, but it’s quite obvious some of them would rather be sat at home watching I’m a Celebrity than playing their heart out for the shirt. I don’t give a toss what Mickey Mouse trophy it is.

Dempster is quite clearly out of his depth but he seems to be taking all of the flak for this team of uninspiring, whiny bottle jobs. It’s about time someone held them to account.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Re: The players need to take some responsibility

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:37 pm

It’s the modern game. Players down tools when they want rid of the manager, rightly or wrongly.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:41 pm

They don’t believe in the manager in my opinion, clear to see. If there’s no belief in the manager then they won’t believe themselves they’re going to achieve anything.

The players are certainly capable of better I agree, but it stems from the top.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:41 pm

Random Hero wrote:- Waltzing around like they’re playing Worksop Town in a pre season friendly
- Static as soon as the ball is lost - completely uninterested in winning it back
- Giving an already struggling manager absolutely no commitment to try to dig him and the team out of a hole

You can’t keep blaming lack of fitness, lack of tactical nous etc. They’re professional footballers for crying out loud.

Not going to name names, but it’s quite obvious some of them would rather be sat at home watching I’m a Celebrity than playing their heart out for the shirt. I don’t give a toss what Mickey Mouse trophy it is.

Dempster is quite clearly out of his depth but he seems to be taking all of the flak for this team of uninspiring, whiny bottle jobs. It’s about time someone held them to account.

I've discussed this same topic elsewhere. The fault is the managers. We have seen what the large majority of the squad is capable of under Flitcroft last year and although it fizzled out towards the end and we didn't get over the line, that was MILES ahead of what we are seeing currently under Dempster.

A managers coaching, tactical competence, man management and all other facets can raise a players/squads level dramatically. That is why, as clichéd as it may seem to some, that the buck will and should always stop with the manager and rightly so.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby london amber stag » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:41 pm

I just said on another thread, massive clear out of the main culprits in January is required. They failed spectacularly at the end of last season and look at the Stags as an easy pay day.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby up north » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:42 pm

well said. If what you are saying is 100% correct. Then they should hang their heads in shame.

I am hoping to take in the game this weekend. Hopefully, there will be a commitment. Unfair if the manager is taking all the heat and the players getting a pass. Fans pay hard earned money to follow and pay the players wages. They need to be professional no matter what. Any grievances should not enter the field of play. If it does then their numbers should be marked and moved on.
up north
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Vice President » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:42 pm

A mini clear out needs to happen now. Starting with the manager this week and there are a few players who need to be transfer listed in the January window.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:43 pm

Random Hero wrote:- Waltzing around like they’re playing Worksop Town in a pre season friendly

As a dullard I've bin sayin this for while now bud.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:45 pm

Just posted on another thread that the blame sits with the management.

Yes, some of the players have let themselves down, but it all stems from poor leadership.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:46 pm

london amber stag wrote:I just said on another thread, massive clear out of the main culprits in January is required. They failed spectacularly at the end of last season and look at the Stags as an easy pay day.

Some that I think need to go might shock a few, but some of our better players have achieved nothing and are now costing us games.

Bishop, past it.
Benning, shadow of his former self
Pearce, a goal waiting to happen and fora captain hardly takes charge.
Macca, not in his prime anymore. Can't play on the wing anymore and certainly not a centre mid.
OSJ, can't perform in the league.
Dapo, seems to have gone anway
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:47 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
london amber stag wrote:I just said on another thread, massive clear out of the main culprits in January is required. They failed spectacularly at the end of last season and look at the Stags as an easy pay day.

Some that I think need to go might shock a few, but some of our better players have achieved nothing and are now costing us games.

Bishop, past it.
Macca, not in his prime anymore. Can't play on the wing anymore and certainly not a centre mid.

Agree with all except Benning
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:49 pm

Look, I’m not saying that this doesn’t stem from weak management. It’s been quite obvious for months that Dempster is miles out of his depth.

I just wouldn’t want some of this powderpuff lot in the trenches with me. They are part of the problem.
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:49 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Just posted on another thread that the blame sits with the management.

Yes, some of the players have let themselves down, but it all stems from poor leadership.

I agree - and a hoodie doesn't exactly scream leadership! :lol:
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:52 pm

Sedgwick wrote:

Bishop, past it.

What about Clogger? T'lad's a talentless undisciplined liability.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:52 pm

Players who are under performing this year after playing well last year under different managers include Pearce, Preston, Benning, Bishop, McDonald, Mellis, Hamilton, Maynard, Cook and Bishop

Some of those players have been our best players for the last 2-3 years and either they have all suddenly become bad eggs or there is a problem with motivation, leadership and tactics.

Stop giving them excuses. The management team are responsible.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:55 pm

Sedgwick wrote:

Bishop, past it.

I would not let Pearce go.

Completely accept that his performances haven’t been at his usual high standard, but I think that can be said for the majority of the back line. I don’t think the coaching has been at all good for the defensive unit this season..despite having played together for over a year they all look like they’ve never seen each other at times, whereas under the past 2 regimes they were very well drilled and we saw the best of Pearce.

He’s been a rock for 2 seasons, and been out of sorts under a hopeless manager...If a new gaffer came in I would back him to get back to his old self. I’d stick by him.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:57 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Players who are under performing this year after playing well last year under different managers include Pearce, Preston, Benning, Bishop, McDonald, Mellis, Hamilton, Maynard, Cook and Bishop

Some of those players have been our best players for the last 2-3 years and either they have all suddenly become bad eggs or there is a problem with motivation, leadership and tactics.

Stop giving them excuses. The management team are responsible.

Not giving them excuses - there are no excuses.
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:57 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if DF at Bolton tries to sign Pearce, Benning and CJ in January.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:58 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Bishop, past it.

Completely accept that his performances haven’t been at his usual high standard, but I think that can be said for the majority of the back line. I don’t think the coaching has been at all good for the defensive unit this season..despite having played together for over a year they all look like they’ve never seen each other at times, whereas under the past 2 regimes they were very well drilled and we saw the best of Pearce.

He’s been a rock for 2 seasons, and been out of sorts under a hopeless manager...If a new gaffer came in I would back him to get back to his old self. I’d stick by him.

Completely agree.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:03 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Bishop, past it.

Completely agree.

Perfect example of a player urgently needing a change of manager before it’s too late for him at this club.
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:07 pm

Given most players are out or contract in the summer anyway, and with the prospect of promotion looking as slim as the percentage who voted for Dempster to stay a few weeks ago, most of them will be on their way anyway.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:08 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Bishop, past it.

Spot on. The bloke was arguably the best centre half in L2 last year. Say what you want about Flitcroft and how we blew it at the end, structurally (which often means defensively too, certainly in DF’s case) we were excellent throughout the course of the season. Under Dempster, absolute shambles.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:35 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if DF at Bolton tries to sign Pearce, Benning and CJ in January.

do Bolton have funds to afford these players?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:08 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if DF at Bolton tries to sign Pearce, Benning and CJ in January.

good players don’t become bad players overnight, our defence was arguably the best in the league last year what’s changed for me tactics and manager not really rocket science is it?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:16 am

yorkshire stag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

good players don’t become bad players overnight, our defence was arguably the best in the league last year what’s changed for me tactics and manager not really rocket science is it?

Fair point.

With this spoilt lot I’d take them in a helicopter, push them out in the middle of the Scottish highlands in the middle of winter and see how they’d fair - they’d be certainly deserving of it.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum