{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Football Manager 2020 Stags

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Football Manager 2020 Stags

Postby StagsFan83 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:41 pm

I love this game, I still remember doing a deal with my Mum that she would go halves with me to buy the original Champ Manager 92/93 as it was back then, and I have bought every single one since.

Anyway, I thought I would start a thread, not for everyone to drone on about how good or bad they are (I got sacked in November first attempt!) but to share opinions on when playing as Stags, on who to buy, who is good at the club etc.

In my second game where I'm currently in December and 3rd, I sold CJ Hamilton, managed to get 900k for him, as he didn't pull up many trees in my first game, and Otis seems a better option. Also got a fee for Logan, McDonald and Sterling-James. In my game I am also hoping to get rid of Tomlinson, Bishop, Maynard and Davies. Olejnik for me becomes a good steady keeper, but you will need a decent keeper till he comes back to fitness in the game. I play Dapo and Rose as my first choice pairing, and to date, early December one has 10 goals and the other 11.
Lewis Buxton is a good free, he is a good alternative to White who is quite injury prone in my game. I signed Florent Cuvellier who is a free agent, former Morecambe I think. Callum Slattery from Soton, Jermaine Hylton from Motherwell are two really good loan signings also. I have just started play Alistair Smith in cm whilst Mellis is injured, and he looks steady,, but it has only been a couple of goals.
I also signed some tripe!
Been playing an attacking 442.
Also worth mentioning, at the beginning of the game, you can attract quite a few decent names on trial, who will all talk terms, but they just don't seem to hit it off, Joe Ledley, Darren Gibson, Jay Emannuel Thomas to name a few.
StagsFan83
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Football Manager 2020 Stags

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:24 pm

I'm pleased you are managing to get some enjoyment out of the club this season.

I admit it all sounds quite pointless to me and bears no resemblance to reality but each to their own I suppose.

it would be interesting to see how someone did with the players who are actually at the club. Also is there a system for updating players performance levels based on real life appearances? Oh just a minute I'd better steady on a bit before I get carried away and show a modicum of interest.

Hope you win your league anyway.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:12 pm

StagsFan83 wrote:I love this game, I still remember doing a deal with my Mum that she would go halves with me to buy the original Champ Manager 92/93 as it was back then, and I have bought every single one since.

Anyway, I thought I would start a thread, not for everyone to drone on about how good or bad they are (I got sacked in November first attempt!) but to share opinions on when playing as Stags, on who to buy, who is good at the club etc.

In my second game where I'm currently in December and 3rd, I sold CJ Hamilton, managed to get 900k for him, as he didn't pull up many trees in my first game, and Otis seems a better option. Also got a fee for Logan, McDonald and Sterling-James. In my game I am also hoping to get rid of Tomlinson, Bishop, Maynard and Davies. Olejnik for me becomes a good steady keeper, but you will need a decent keeper till he comes back to fitness in the game. I play Dapo and Rose as my first choice pairing, and to date, early December one has 10 goals and the other 11.
Lewis Buxton is a good free, he is a good alternative to White who is quite injury prone in my game. I signed Florent Cuvellier who is a free agent, former Morecambe I think. Callum Slattery from Soton, Jermaine Hylton from Motherwell are two really good loan signings also. I have just started play Alistair Smith in cm whilst Mellis is injured, and he looks steady,, but it has only been a couple of goals.
I also signed some tripe!
Been playing an attacking 442.
Also worth mentioning, at the beginning of the game, you can attract quite a few decent names on trial, who will all talk terms, but they just don't seem to hit it off, Joe Ledley, Darren Gibson, Jay Emannuel Thomas to name a few.

I have not bought it yet.

always find FM fascination when it comes to how they regard certain things at the club. Have they included the RH academy and facilities on it and also what sort of attendances do the stags get on it.

Used to do my head in when on the game i had a local derby against county or chezzy and there would be only 3000 fans there with around 250 from the opposition.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby JLStag » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:20 pm

I bought it last year and managed Mansfield until the game was virtually all regens. That's when i knew i needed to sort my obsession out!

How is the gameplay this year? A few of the more recent versions have been quite disappointing (nothing will beat CM 2001) so would be interested to know your thoughts.
JLStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby StagsFan83 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:42 pm

To answer SPBS, in my first game, I largely stuck with the squad, it had a very Dempster-esque feel about it, I would win a game and it would buy me a couple more games, I felt like I was on the verge of something but I didn't get a chance, I got sacked whilst 4th bottom, out of all 3 cups.

There is always flaws in the game, I seem to be getting lots of penalties in the game. In my second go at Stags, I got Notts County in the fa cup first round, and there was 19000+ at Meadow Lane on a Friday night. My home attendances have been faorly spot on, averaging 4300 ish.

I'm just playing the touch version at the monent, once I have had a couple of decent goes at this I will progress to the full version which as anyone knows is where the hard work starts!
StagsFan83
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:14 pm

StagsFan83 wrote:To answer SPBS, in my first game, I largely stuck with the squad, it had a very Dempster-esque feel about it, I would win a game and it would buy me a couple more games, I felt like I was on the verge of something but I didn't get a chance, I got sacked whilst 4th bottom, out of all 3 cups.

There is always flaws in the game, I seem to be getting lots of penalties in the game. In my second go at Stags, I got Notts County in the fa cup first round, and there was 19000+ at Meadow Lane on a Friday night. My home attendances have been faorly spot on, averaging 4300 ish.

I'm just playing the touch version at the monent, once I have had a couple of decent goes at this I will progress to the full version which as anyone knows is where the hard work starts!

Are you playing it on the switch?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:41 pm

First go I took over and ended up sacked for being 13th in December.

2nd go I gave myself a good rep and coaching badges and started unemployed and waiting for Dempster to be sacked (happens 9 out of the 9 games I've started, always between November and January) this time it happened early December. Got Jordan Smith in on loan, ask the board for a senior affiliate and got Liverpool, managed to get herbie kane in on loan and Rhian Brewster (had to keep asking for him, Liverpool wanted him to go to us he refused eventually he gave up and joined), signed Eddie Gomes, tommie Hoban and Eddie Segura in on frees (all CB) managed to get Kevin Stewart from Hull who was very unhappy there. Also signed a young GK on loan from the continent (St. Etienne I think) named Stefan Bajic.

Playing vertical tika taka with wingbacks (essentially how DF had us playing) 60+% possession 15+ shots on goal, went on an unbeaten run and finished 1st with 2 games to spare. Fans and board gushing over the attacking football being played and that I did the double. (league and efl trophy) Mellis in the hole behind the front 2.

Needed a whole new back 3 (the 3 we have now were fine it was more for squad depth but all 3 are equal or better than what we have), 2 new GK (Bobby stayed injured on mine so needed a backup, which ended up being Conrad), 2 new CM, and a new striker.

Sold Otis Khan for 450k, sold OSJ for 100k. Managed to sell Craig Davies for 75k after a couple of weeks injury free in January, sold Bishop for 50k.

Conrad Logan and Nicky Maynard both retired at the end of this season. Currently in April next season and I'm 7th, goal difference off play offs by +1 with 6 to go including a crunch game vs Fleetwood, who are the team above me in 6th, at the one call stadium last game of the season. My remit was mid table league 1 20/21 season and challenge for the play offs 21/22 season so I'm ahead of my remit. However it's tight so could still end up mid table.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby StagsFan83 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:54 pm

Any of those named signings any good?
StagsFan83
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:02 pm

They are all an improvement over what we have.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:55 pm

I've not got into it as much as last year's yet. The match graphics have gone up a notch and it's running poor on my laptop.

I've signed Joe Ledley and sold Sterling James for around 100k, drew the first game with Newport then not been on it since! Radford's expectations are huge on it if it's the same as last year, if you're not constantly in the top 3 you're in the firing line!
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:17 pm

Our media prediction is 1st. The expectation is to win the league (or automatic promotion.) I've seen Dempster sacked for being in 7th towards the end of January
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:22 pm

Won league 2 in the first season, lost in L1 playoff final and leasing.com final in season 2 and now 5 points clear in February of season 3.

Preston, Sweeney, Benning, Mellis and Hamilton all still key players in my first xi too.

Move over Dempster, I'll sort this shower out! Although I'll still expect the odd Stagsnet bashing just to make sure I savour the full experience! :lol:
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:11 pm

Past couple of editions are the first ones where we don't need to completely overhaul the entire squad.

I was the Stags researcher for a quite a few years so I know how players are rated and whatnot. I can say that each phase of the research you have to keep with a certain average of the current ability which is based on league position at the stages. The next phase usually starts around now ready for the January transfer window. Basically our squad will be lowered so our players will get worse after the January database. Basically the top 16 players at the club by current ability is averaged and that average has to be close to what they decide our average has to be. So a 4th place finish and nearly automatics and 4 players in the team of the year would mean we would have the highest average ever for a football manager game. I don't envy the person who has to lower the stats of all our players to meet the average current ability for a side in 15th.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:20 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Past couple of editions are the first ones where we don't need to completely overhaul the entire squad.

I was the Stags researcher for a quite a few years so I know how players are rated and whatnot. I can say that each phase of the research you have to keep with a certain average of the current ability which is based on league position at the stages. The next phase usually starts around now ready for the January transfer window. Basically our squad will be lowered so our players will get worse after the January database. Basically the top 16 players at the club by current ability is averaged and that average has to be close to what they decide our average has to be. So a 4th place finish and nearly automatics and 4 players in the team of the year would mean we would have the highest average ever for a football manager game. I don't envy the person who has to lower the stats of all our players to meet the average current ability for a side in 15th.

I just nodded off gazza :D
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby StagsFan83 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:21 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
StagsFan83 wrote:To answer SPBS, in my first game, I largely stuck with the squad, it had a very Dempster-esque feel about it, I would win a game and it would buy me a couple more games, I felt like I was on the verge of something but I didn't get a chance, I got sacked whilst 4th bottom, out of all 3 cups.

Are you playing it on the switch?

Laptop, I’ve no idea what a switch is.
StagsFan83
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:28 am

The One wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Past couple of editions are the first ones where we don't need to completely overhaul the entire squad.

I just nodded off gazza :D

:lol:

Take it you didn't watch the match? ;)
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:21 am

Wow :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby StagsFan83 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:35 pm

I just got sacked in my second game for being 8th and only 6 points off top! We were 3rd and a point off two games ago! This happened mid January.
As others have said expectation is huge from Radford!
I start my third attempt tonight, will take on board some of the above players.
StagsFan83
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby StagsFan83 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:25 pm

I’ve played a few times with stags as my team, played 442 tiki tala style, with the full backs as wb support, the two central mf are a bbm and deep lying playmaker.

In my first season I found these players handy:
Florent Cuvelier - free cm
Angel Gomes LW on loan
Leif Davis LB on loan (although Mal is good)
Jakob Haugaard GK free
Lewis Buxton rb drew (white is good but this veteran kept him out the side then retired after one season)
Matty Longstaff bbm centre mid loan
Ryan Colclough £350k rw (I sold cj) also is good in championship.
Aaron Connolly st on loan, played well along side Dapo.

I found all our strikers apart from Dapo were bang average.

Season two in league one..

Matty Longstaff resigned on loan.
Also added Alfie Jones cb free after Southampton released him (in my third season I’ve turned down 2.5 million for him)
Juan Hernandez on loan striker from Watford
Devante Cole as back up Rw and st, although he isn’t good at championship level, also free.
Jamie Sterry rb free Newcastle.
Alfie McCalmont loan cm Leeds.
Sheyi Ojo lw from Liverpool on loan, had to ask a few time’s but he bangs them in.
And last but not least my top scorer Renat Dadasov on loan from Wolves.

Season 3 in championship, currently in December in 5th place.
I resigned Dadasov from Wolves and Longstaff and Ojo. Tried to get McCalmont but he is in the Leeds team and they want £28 million for him!
Also signed JoJo Wollacott from Bristol City on a free, great keeper, to replace Haugaard who I sold for a million.
Also Emre Akbaba a cm who I got on a free who has my highest, and the championships highest average rating. He doesn’t come cheap wages wise.
Also got Taiwo Awoniyi from Liverpool st who is steady, and Tosin Adarabioyo on a free.

In season three I still have in my team White, Sweeney, Benning and Mellis who all start. Pearce is a sub.
StagsFan83
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum