{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

9 points adrift - season over?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: 9 points adrift - season over?

Postby The One » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:35 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Back on topic though, 9 points behind isn’t un-achievable if we hire the right manager!!!

All we need is our mojo back, its been missing since pre season.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:10 pm

WVStag wrote:
Dan wrote:Spot on Andy. At the end of the day the team were booed off after a WIN. The rest of it is immaterial. The job was done. How it was done is irrelevant.

The rest is NOT immaterial, far from it and how it was done is certainly relevant. To suggest otherwise points to clear lack of comprehension for perspective in football. Examining a result in isolation and disregarding the context around it is not the smartest thing to do.

Perhaps one of you can explain to me how booing, the team you support, after a win, is positive in any way ? What is it actually meant to achieve ?

I'm not suggesting you clap if you don't think the performance is up to scratch. Do what I do walk away in silence. If there is a lack of applause, the manager and players will get the message. Booing in those circumstances is counter productive and causes devision. The clubs that succeed are the ones where everyone is pulling together.

Imagine in your job ( whatever it may be ), achieving the desired end product and all you get is abuse.

The players will be quite rightly thinking we've worked hard to get into the next round, and be gobsmacked at some of the crowds reaction.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:18 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
WVStag wrote:
Dan wrote:Spot on Andy. At the end of the day the team were booed off after a WIN. The rest of it is immaterial. The job was done. How it was done is irrelevant.

The rest is NOT immaterial, far from it and how it was done is certainly relevant. To suggest otherwise points to clear lack of comprehension for perspective in football. Examining a result in isolation and disregarding the context around it is not the smartest thing to do.

Perhaps one of you can explain to me how booing, the team you support, after a win, is positive in any way ? What is it actually meant to achieve ?

I'm not suggesting you clap if you don't think the performance is up to scratch. Do what I do walk away in silence. If there is a lack of applause, the manager and players will get the message. Booing in those circumstances is counter productive and causes devision. The clubs that succeed are the ones where everyone is pulling together.

Imagine in your job ( whatever it may be ), achieving the desired end product and all you get is abuse.

The players will be quite rightly thinking we've worked hard to get into the next round, and be gobsmacked at some of the crowds reaction.

In the context I kinda got it

It was a desperate performance, and we were highly fortunate to win - against a side who were bottom of the conference. A performance that would have seen us lost to basically anyone in league 2. Starting with 3 defensive midfielders at home as well?

Added to that the home form and performances have been terrible it was probably one out of frustration than anything else.

In the context I could understand why folk booed. Though of course I can see why people who are a bit more happy clappy wouldn’t get it either
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:22 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
WVStag wrote:

To be fair Andy, when I achieve the desired goal in my job the customer tends to call me a raspberry, then threatens to kill me. :lol:
Last edited by Sneag on Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:22 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
WVStag wrote:

It’s like going to a gig, they sing all the lyrics correctly but they sing out of tune.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:23 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
WVStag wrote:

As has been explained several times before, booing is how fans communicate their disapproval at performances. Using the Chorley game as an example, the performance was extremely poor and has proved to be a tipping point for even the most 'positive' fans that what is being served up is not good enough and needs to end. The fans have a right to voice there displeasure, and a lot of us have. Some choose to boo, some not, but fans have a right to boo.

How it is productive is quite simple: either a) it bucks the ideas up of the management and playing staff that current performances are unacceptable and as a result performances improve, or b) the club hierachy, as removed from the situation as they are in sunny Portugal, get an idea for the level of anger and apathy the fans have at current performances and they take the steps to remove the manager and replace him with a more able candidate.

But no, let's all just walk away silently, not communicate our unrest and keep experiencing the same old rubbish we have been doing all season, just because it offends Amber Andy and the rest of his mates.

Trying to make a comparison to 'everyday' workplaces is also moronic. It can't be compared- the above I've described about booing is common place in football. And to be honest, if in my job I fall well below standards whether 'I get the job done or not', I will get an earful. I accept that, because that is life.

The players will also know they're performing poorly, whatever they say in the media. So what you're saying about how they'll be thinking 'but we've worked hard to get into the first round and they're still booing' is something I'd expect a u8 player to say when his dad tells him he didn't play too well after a win. Context needs to be considered. Looking at results/performances in isolation is simply daft.

Like Adam has mentioned, I too understand why people don't like booing. But once you understand it, it makes sense why it happens.
Last edited by WVStag on Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:23 pm

adamstag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
WVStag wrote:

In the context it was pretty understandable.

It was a desperate performance, and we were highly fortunate to win - against a side who were bottom of the conference. A performance that would have seen us lost to basically anyone in league 2. Starting with 3 defensive midfielders at home as well?

Added to that the home form and performances have been terrible it was probably one out of frustration than anything else.

In the context I could understand why folk booed. Though of course I can see why people who are a bit more happy clappy wouldn’t get it either

Well thanks for explaining why some booed ( although I still think walking away in silence would have got the message over just as well ).

You've not explained what positive outcome booing has achieved?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:26 pm

The One wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:Back on topic though, 9 points behind isn’t un-achievable if we hire the right manager!!!

All we need is our mojo back, its been missing since pre season.

It's been missing since before last Christmas mate
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:27 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
adamstag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
WVStag wrote:

In the context it was pretty understandable.

Well thanks for explaining why some booed ( although I still think walking away in silence would have got the message over just as well ).

You've not explained what positive outcome booing has achieved?

I’m not attempting to suggest it was positive.

However, in the right context booing is no worse than those who don’t do anything and just passively accept crap - that can be just as worse.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:33 pm

true bobby, mojo walked out with t'players backbones also at Xmas
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:36 pm

Ok Adamstag we all do things differently.

I just think it's not helping the team you obviously support.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:12 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Ok Adamstag we all do things differently.

That’s fair enough, and sometimes the ones you like need a little tough love than just accepting rubbish
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:15 pm

It's not meant to help. For those that did it it meant showing the players the performance wasn't acceptable / that it was the latest of an unacceptable series of dross home performances / that the expectations were for the Chorley game to be a chance to energise the club / that they weren't happy with a lot of things at the club. It's criticism Andy......it's not meant to be like a school sports day where everyone isn't a loser but no one comes first. It's professional sport for heavens sake.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:03 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:

It's not meant to help. For those that did it it meant showing the players the performance wasn't acceptable / that it was the latest of an unacceptable series of dross home performances / that the expectations were for the Chorley game to be a chance to energise the club / that they weren't happy with a lot of things at the club. It's criticism Andy......it's not meant to be like a school sports day where everyone isn't a loser but no one comes first. It's professional sport for heavens sake.
ok if that's how you want to express your frustration.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:15 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:

ok if that's how you want to express your frustration.

Exactly, it’s perfectly fine to do given the scenario
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:56 am

WVStag wrote:

Really? Let’s use Musings example above your post. He said Blackburn got booed off on Saturday having beaten Barnsley 3-2. Whether that’s true or not I don’t know. But this is what Tony Mowbray said afterwards: "It was all about getting three points. That's what we talked about, not about performance levels, but just trying to get three points. I think it was a really dangerous game for us”.

So there you go. I’d rather believe someone of Tony Mowbray’s experience in the game than a fan of a League Two Club with no experience in the professional game. ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:17 am

Tony Mowbray is clearly better qualified than me, but..

In any line of leadership and management it is very good practice to focus on the process rather than the outcome. This is key to sustained success. Being completely results driven will bring short term benefits but can often cause long term problems.

This might be why Mowbray's management career has been very hit and miss.

On the other hand, Pep Guadiola, Jürgen Klopp and Marcelo Bielsa all advocate getting the process right.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:21 am

Dan wrote:
WVStag wrote:

Really? Let’s use Musings example above your post. He said Blackburn got booed off on Saturday having beaten Barnsley 3-2. Whether that’s true or not I don’t know. But this is what Tony Mowbray said afterwards: "It was all about getting three points. That's what we talked about, not about performance levels, but just trying to get three points. I think it was a really dangerous game for us”.

So there you go. I’d rather believe someone of Tony Mowbray’s experience in the game than a fan of a League Two Club with no experience in the professional game. ;)

Now let's see.
Blackburn v Barnsley, both in the same league. Blackburn set up to win with their usual starting line up and actually must have at least got in the Barnsley half as in a poor performance they score 3 goals!!!!!!!

Mansfield v Chorley, one bottom of the league below so they set up to sit back and frustrate their opponents, yes it was Stags not Chorley!!!! Don't venture into the Chorley half but scrape a 1-0 win when he brings two forward driving players on.

Dan you continue to look a dick
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:07 am

Dan wrote:
WVStag wrote:

Of course the manager would say that, he doesn’t have to pay to watch!
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:50 am

Dan wrote:
WVStag wrote:

Didn't expect that of you Dan, to use cliched, managerial soundbites like 'it's 3 points and that's all that matters' in attempting to prove your wrong opinion right :roll:

Also, do I not have experience in the professional game?
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:07 pm

WVStag wrote:
Dan wrote:
WVStag wrote:

Didn't expect that of you Dan, to use cliched, managerial soundbites like 'it's 3 points and that's all that matters' in attempting to prove your wrong opinion right :roll:

Blackburn also didn’t scrape past a part time team bottom of the league below, and start 3 defensive midfielders against them at home.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:16 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
WVStag wrote:
Dan wrote:
WVStag wrote:

Blackburn also didn’t scrape past a part time team bottom of the league below, and start 3 defensive midfielders against them at home.

Do you mean Chorley who, last night, held high-flying Barrow to a 2:2 draw at Holker Street?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:45 pm

Dress it up however you like Edwinstowe, the fact is against a bottom 4 part time conference team at HOME, we started 3 (3 for crying out loud!) defensive midfielders and barely carved out a single chance until we scored late on.

Wouldn’t you agree that it was totally unacceptable, from the performance to the team selection itself?
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:58 pm

Dinnae worry, Evans will sort us out
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:14 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:Dress it up however you like Edwinstowe, the fact is against a bottom 4 part time conference team at HOME, we started 3 (3 for crying out loud!) defensive midfielders and barely carved out a single chance until we scored late on.

Wouldn’t you agree that it was totally unacceptable, from the performance to the team selection itself?

Tbh, to anyone who went and with any football knowledge they’d have quickly established that it was a dire performance. The set up, the tactics, the lack of ideas - it was dreadful - which is what led to some booing literally through the dismay of such an inept showing.

It mirrored the dreadful home showings so far this season - backed by the fact we’ve gained 8 points from 9 games at home
adamstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum