{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

9 points adrift - season over?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

9 points adrift - season over?

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:10 pm

I went to the game today and was happy to see a much more attacking line up (even though I think his hand was forced) and to be honest we were very unlucky to lose that game after having the better the second half.

But at the end of the day, it goes down as another loss. We are now 9 points adrift of 7th place having played 2 games more and I think that could be season over before we have even reached December.

Today, whilst better, has done little to convince me that persisting with Dempster is the way forward, but to be honest I think that has been the case since Cambridge you could argue.

We were clutching at straws already, but is today season over despite it being better on the eye? I would say yes, and Dempster has been a complete failure.

Regrettably for the football club I think it’s time to just move on.. get the fans back on side and move forward with a manager that the crowd can get behind again.
Last edited by BH_Stag on Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Re: 9 points adrift - season over?

Postby WVStag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:13 pm

I think the season was over a few games ago if I'm trying to be fair, but actually, I realised about 6 games in this season this season was a non starter.

I agree with you though. The only way to 'turn a corner' of any kind is as you to say, to remove the manager. The lift that sacking JD alone will give the fans surely makes it a no brainer.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby The One » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:17 pm

Its a big gap, but with an experinced manager who knows. This is a weak league this season, unlike last season.
Act sooner rather than later. The experiment has failed.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:23 pm

We need to make the change NOW to salvage anything.

Games against the top teams coming up, a new manager could give us that spark we need and then can make his own additions in January.

John & Carolyn need to act NOW.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Nottsstag100 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:25 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:We need to make the change NOW to salvage anything.

Games against the top teams coming up, a new manager could give us that spark we need and then can make his own additions in January.

100% agree THIS CAN BE SALVAGED

IF THEY ACT NOW!!!!!
Nottsstag100
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Nottsstag100 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:25 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:We need to make the change NOW to salvage anything.

100% agree THIS CAN BE SALVAGED

IF THEY ACT NOW!!!!!
Nottsstag100
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby adamstag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:36 pm

I don’t think the season is over at all.

We’ve got to avoid relegation first
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:41 pm

“Move on from Dempster? But look at what happened to Notts County for heavens sake!” :lol: ;)
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:44 pm

So many people really do struggle to handle disappointment!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:45 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:So many people really do struggle to handle disappointment!

It’s just a question Edwinstowe, maybe you could answer it honestly?
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:47 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:So many people really do struggle to handle disappointment!

If you're asking him to construct an articulate, high-level football response to your original question BH, you should know that is simply not possible for him to do.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:53 pm

WVStag wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

If you're asking him to construct an articulate, high-level football response to your original question BH, you should know that is simply not possible for him to do.

Sorry, BH Stag, what was the question you want me to answer honestly?

WVStag - yet again you jump in to attack me. It’s so silly.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:03 pm

Notwithstanding the fact that Dempster should never have been appointed in the first place, the saddest thing for me , is that the board, including the owners, have allowed the momentum gained over the past two seasons to dissolve to the point where the season for most supporters, barring relegation, is over by the third week in November.
They were fast enough to get rid of the last manager, but seem content to dither about, and just let this season pass by. If they are giving him to the end of the season, say that, but be prepared to lose heavily on gates and interest, between now and end of May.
The attendance for the next home game may give them the strength of feeling, there is for change, anyhow.
Last edited by bigalstag on Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:04 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
WVStag wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

It’s in the title, is the season over? I ask that I’m terms of our promotion aspirations. Take in to account the fact we are 9 points adrift having played 2 games more, and haven’t yet beat a team outside the bottom 7.

If you think it isn’t over, does that account for Dempster staying or going?
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:04 pm

Dunno about season over, but I do know that what should be a leisure activity has been more like a trip to the dentists most weeks during 2019.

I'd just like to enjoy a game now and then, I don't even care if we win. I've been a Stags fan for 45 years, I don't expect to win, just to watch some half decent football.

I'm not asking for the moon on a flipping stick.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:13 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
WVStag wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

'Attack' you :lol: :lol: :lol: bit dramatic, but ok.

The fact of the matter is that not once can I recall a time where you've offered a football response to something you disagree with- just sarcastic comments about those views. Feel free to prove me wrong.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:18 pm

Season over? Behave yourself. We need to role our sleeves up for a relegation scrap.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:24 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
WVStag wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

It’s in the title, is the season over? I ask that I’m terms of our promotion aspirations. Take in to account the fact we are 9 points adrift having played 2 games more, and haven’t yet beat a team outside the bottom 7.

If you think it isn’t over, does that account for Dempster staying or going?

OK. Do I think the season is over? If you mean promotion then, sadly, yes it is, In my opinion. I share the disappointment that all Stags fans have (although after over 50 years of following the Stags, I am able to rationalise this better than some others, I suspect) and so what I am keen to witness some kind of improvement in performance, the emergence of the type of entertainment that we saw in the first half of last season, and the successful development of a couple of home-grown players.

Do I have confidence in John Dempster? Nothing so far has persuaded me that the Board made a good decision in sacking Flitcroft and replacing him with this rookie, so I doubt he is the person to take the club forward (I’d be delighted to be proved wrong BTW).

Should Dempster be sacked? Yes - he will inevitably receive the “Radford chop” sooner or later.

Should he be sacked now? I honestly cannot answer that. I really depends upon who the club can attract as a replacement. On balance, if a credible experienced manager can be attracted then the change should take place ASAP. In saying this, I don’t think we should torment ourselves with any thoughts of promotion this season. I would be content to see the new guy get the chance to weed out the dross and for the Club to provide him with the financial support they allegedly gave Evans and Flitcroft in order to create a squad worthy of aspirations for L1 football.

They should get rid of some of the unnecessary backroom staff, starting with Drewe Broughton.

I believe the owners are terrific business people, but they have no football credentials. if they are to continue to reside off-shore, it is vital that a GOOD Director of Football be appointed - someone with the AUTONOMY to “drive” the club in the Radfords’ absence.

All this is my opinion, of course - HONESTLY. :D
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:32 pm

I can agree with much of that Edwinstow.

One advantage of getting a new manager in now would be that the vast majority of fans have pretty much written off our promotion chances for this season, therefore he would have a good six months to get to grips with things, assess his squad, implement a few things etc. without having huge pressure on him.

Fans will get behind that a lot more than they would Dempster plodding along until the end of the season in my opinion.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:39 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:OK. Do I think the season is over? If you mean promotion then, sadly, yes it is, In my opinion. I share the disappointment that all Stags fans have (although after over 50 years of following the Stags, I am able to rationalise this better than some others, I suspect) and so what I am keen to witness some kind of improvement in performance, the emergence of the type of entertainment that we saw in the first half of last season, and the successful development of a couple of home-grown players.

Do I have confidence in John Dempster? Nothing so far has persuaded me that the Board made a good decision in sacking Flitcroft and replacing him with this rookie, so I doubt he is the person to take the club forward (I’d be delighted to be proved wrong BTW).

Should Dempster be sacked? Yes - he will inevitably receive the “Radford chop” sooner or later.

Should he be sacked now? I honestly cannot answer that. I really depends upon who the club can attract as a replacement. On balance, if a credible experienced manager can be attracted then the change should take place ASAP. In saying this, I don’t think we should torment ourselves with any thoughts of promotion this season. I would be content to see the new guy get the chance to weed out the dross and for the Club to provide him with the financial support they allegedly gave Evans and Flitcroft in order to create a squad worthy of aspirations for L1 football.

They should get rid of some of the unnecessary backroom staff, starting with Drewe Broughton.

I believe the owners are terrific business people, but they have no football credentials. if they are to continue to reside off-shore, it is vital that a GOOD Director of Football be appointed - someone with the AUTONOMY to “drive” the club in the Radfords’ absence.

There ya go Edders! I happen to totally agree with you as well! Particularly on the point of the board having zero football credentials. I see that as pivotal to success- football people making football decisions and whilst it might upset people, I believe that John, Carolyn and even their mate Steve Hymas don't have the football knowledge to make those decisions that will see success follow on the pitch.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:09 pm

WVStag wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:OK. Do I think the season is over? If you mean promotion then, sadly, yes it is, In my opinion. I share the disappointment that all Stags fans have (although after over 50 years of following the Stags, I am able to rationalise this better than some others, I suspect) and so what I am keen to witness some kind of improvement in performance, the emergence of the type of entertainment that we saw in the first half of last season, and the successful development of a couple of home-grown players.

There ya go Edders! I happen to totally agree with you as well! Particularly on the point of the board having zero football credentials. I see that as pivotal to success- football people making football decisions and whilst it might upset people, I believe that John, Carolyn and even their mate Steve Hymas don't have the football knowledge to make those decisions that will see success follow on the pitch.

I agree with 95 % of that Edders.

The next appointment needs to be thought about and not a knee jerk reaction.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:24 pm

You ought to try being scottish now thats tough atm
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:25 pm

spanishstag wrote:You ought to try being scottish now thats tough atm

Thanks for that Spanish.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:26 pm

spanishstag wrote:You ought to try being scottish now thats tough atm

Oh yeah I didn’t think of it like that
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:43 pm

In all honesty, I think it's all but over, unless you factor in the likely relegation dog fight.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum