{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Should CJ leave in January

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Should CJ leave in January

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:54 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:There was no pace anywhere in the side yesterday and hasn't been all season it's why our attacks are pedestrian.
Colchester ripped us with pace all over the pitch last week and we can't get CJ in the side!!!!

The trouble is, Woodclanger 1, that CJ has had plenty of opportunities to show again what we saw in him in the last two seasons and he has failed, sometimes embarrassingly.

I accept that he’s been buggered around with regard to position but, even taking that into account, he has looked absolutely clueless on so many occasions to the extent that we may as well have played with ten players without him.

I feel for the lad because he has had to play out of position due to other players’ brittle bones, but I fear time is running out for him at the Wonk.

Having said that, if we let him go, he would almost certainly prove us all wrong and be superstar for another club!

I agree with your point about the ponderous pace in the current team. Time to bring some young legs in, perhaps?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:31 pm

I think the effectiveness of CJ is a very good allegory of the present manager versus previous management:-

Last season, David Flitcroft focused a lot on CJ's development and made him a focal point of our attack. As a result we were a promotion chasing side and he was in the league team of the season. And before that, even Steve Evans also valued and played CJ regularly (albeit without the same style of encouragement that DF gave).
Compare that with the current (ultra defensive) manager who doesn't focus on CJ's development at all - or even pick him for the first eleven. And yet MacDonald is always on the team sheet. :roll:

I think that says it all about the current manager.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:23 pm

Hamilton should be playing left wing in front of Benning in a 442 formation.

It is just ironic that Hamilton has failed in playing out of position then as soon as we play 442 he is picked to sit on the bench with Khan taking his place.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby garlic » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:01 pm

Kernow wrote:Nobody would buy him surely. Loan with a recall clause maybe.

I think you would be surprised, he would be another Clucas , and yes everyone else would have another laugh at Mansfield for giving away a unpolished diamond.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby CassellsCap » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:52 am

I met CJ in Portugal, very softly spoken and polite. He needs confidence and an arm around him in my opinion. He has talent for sure and his pace scares defenders so coaching has to be the priority and if he’s not looked after he will fade away . It’s in his hands also to be hungry enough to want it.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:45 am

CassellsCap wrote:I met CJ in Portugal, very softly spoken and polite. He needs confidence and an arm around him in my opinion. He has talent for sure and his pace scares defenders so coaching has to be the priority and if he’s not looked after he will fade away . It’s in his hands also to be hungry enough to want it.

Isn’t Drewe (if you ain’t happy with the performance, beggar off) Broughton paid what I presume is a handsome remuneration to “put is arm around” and positively motivate our little darlings?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:29 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
CassellsCap wrote:I met CJ in Portugal, very softly spoken and polite. He needs confidence and an arm around him in my opinion. He has talent for sure and his pace scares defenders so coaching has to be the priority and if he’s not looked after he will fade away . It’s in his hands also to be hungry enough to want it.

Isn’t Drewe (if you ain’t happy with the performance, beggar off) Broughton paid what I presume is a handsome remuneration to “put is arm around” and positively motivate our little darlings?

The manager should actually be managing the players effectively. JD has had to bring in a 'motivator' and be guided by his senior pro's on how to run training sessions. That shows how out of his depth he really is (and then there is the tactics, team selections, performances and results).
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:08 pm

Vice President wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:

The manager should actually be managing the players effectively. JD has had to bring in a 'motivator' and be guided by his senior pro's on how to run training sessions. That shows how out of his depth he really is (and then there is the tactics, team selections, performances and results).

I recall a video clip prior to last season where DF had a meeting with CJ where they discussed his fitness etc . DF appeared very pleased with him and he then went on to be brilliant. He’s definitely got potential and I would keep him at the moment. I expected him to start v Chorley
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby tuopolfpilf » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:49 pm

A year ago today CJ great goal v Port Vale .....
tuopolfpilf
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby west country stag » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:38 am

Free transfer in january window .
He is only a shadow of the player he was & no longer contributes to the team .
Its very frustrating watching him try to beat a player & get a quality ball over into the box .... the move breaks down 90% of the time ..
GET RID !!!!
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Walton Stag » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:32 am

CJ was fantastic last season despite being played in several positions. His statistics regarding goals and assists were exceptional. This season, he looks like ‘a little boy lost’ at times but I am sure he will regain his confidence once he scores a goal or two. Despite some ‘fans!!!’ continuing to abuse him (one so called supporter shouted out on Saturday when he was about to be brought on ‘Sit down CJ, we’ll play with 10’) which obviously does not help. I also thought he played really well at Burton.

CJ is an asset once he regains his confidence. Getting rid is not an option for me.
Walton Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:17 am

i agree gotta keep him
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:29 am

Needs the ball passed on the floor for him to run on to. Unfortunately we've played a midfield all season that are not capable of doing this.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:31 am

west country stag wrote:Free transfer in january window .
Its very frustrating watching him try to beat a player & get a quality ball over into the box .... the move breaks down 90% of the time ..
GET RID !!!!

We were rejecting bids of 750k last season for him. In hindsight you'd have probably taken that now, but to suggest we get rid of him for free is just stupid.

He is obviously low on confidence and probably needs a run of games in the team to try and get some form but I bet most of the team is low on confidence when we play at home right now.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:21 am

GET RID !!!!

Was worth the high end 6 figures 12 months ago now you want to let him go for free :lol: :lol: :lol:
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:30 am

GET RID !!!!

Absolute nonsense. Over the past couple of years under 2 different managers he was a great asset and improving all the time, and I’d fancy him to do the same under the next manager as well. He will come good again at this level or above if somebody takes a punt.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:54 am

BH_Stag wrote:
GET RID !!!!

Absolute nonsense. Over the past couple of years under 2 different managers he was a great asset and improving all the time, and I’d fancy him to do the same under the next manager as well. He will come good again at this level or above if somebody takes a punt.

Hope he his not already infested with Danny Drinkwateritis though and it is curable.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:17 pm

Lionel Messi would go downhill if he had to play in front of the toxic barrage at field mill lately.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:30 pm

CassellsCap wrote:Lionel Messi would go downhill if he had to play in front of the toxic barrage at field mill lately.

No he wouldn't. Having a hide like a rhino is one of the things that sets class acts from the also rans.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby west country stag » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:05 pm

Get rid he's crap !
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:13 pm

west country stag wrote:Get rid he's crap !

Are you going to get back to me on the Burton scorethread? :lol:
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Foresttownstag » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:42 pm

I like CJ, he’s a confidence player though IMO.

Under the right manager he will be a success and he has the one ability you can’t teach. Pace.

Give him time to develop.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby west country stag » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:41 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
west country stag wrote:Get rid he's crap !

Are you going to get back to me on the Burton scorethread? :lol:

:getmecoat: :getmecoat:
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:41 am

His contract is up June 2020 but the club do have the option to trigger a 1 year extension clause. I had to Google it because he's over 24 and could leave on a free at the end of it (how many times have we fell foul of that one in the past?) and it would be a shame to lose him that way.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:32 pm

gazza1988

[quoteHis contract is up June 2020 but the club do have the option to trigger a 1 year extension clause. I had to Google it because he's over 24 and could leave on a free at the end of it (how many times have we fell foul of that one in the past?) and it would be a shame to lose him that way.][/quote]

If JD is the manager to end os season at least there is no point in CJ staying, better to get money for him in January. All managers have players they don't like (playing wise) and it's better to bit the bullet for the sake of the club, the player and the team.
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum