{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Do the players actively practice crossing the ball and takin

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Do the players actively practice crossing the ball and takin

Postby oldweststander » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:02 am

We have four recognised wide players, CJ, Gordon, Benning and Khan maybe add McDonald. None of these proffesional footballers can consistently cross a decent ball which may give our front men an opportunity to have a go at goal.
It is similar with corners, always struggling to lift the ball above waist height.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Re: Do the players actively practice crossing the ball and t

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:04 am

I always practiced with both feet until I was pretty good with both feet. Why is it most professional footballers are horrendous with their weaker foot too? As for crossing the ball.....I give up. Rubbish.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:22 am

Get to the line and whip a cross in at speed stretching the defence allowing the centre forwards to continue their runs pulling the defenders out of place or stop and come back inside on the stronger foot.

Right footed players on the left and vice versa is the managers choice. As frustrating as it is to watch it isn’t Khan’s or McDonalds or CJ’s choice.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:30 am

Like the fact that anybody we play in centre mid looks a shadow of themselves last season the wide players ans set piece takers can't deliver a decent ball in the box. Or none of the defenders can defend anymore. Maybe the entire squad have turned rubbish or maybe it's The MANAGER.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:01 am

Gordon’s delivery yesterday was almost laughable

the performance was so poor it’s miles from where we need to be

how much more of this mistake are we going to have to take ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:19 am

Mal's first thought is to check back and pass back, it has been for a long time.

We do miss Hayden on the right, his step overs and whipping the cross in used to get the crowd up - not heard much about him, what's the latest anybody?

There appears to be a reluctance to cross the ball which I find bizarre since we've actually got Cook who, as we have seen, can rise above the defenders and head goals.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:44 am

Benning & Gordon have no wide player to pass to. Both wide midfield players were 15 yards in from the touchline most of the time. In a 4 4 2 you can't expect Benning & Gordon to play as out & out wingbacks.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:48 am

Sneag wrote:Benning & Gordon have no wide player to pass to. Both wide midfield players were 15 yards in from the touchline most of the time. In a 4 4 2 you can't expect Benning & Gordon to play as out & out wingbacks.

But thats what he's expecting them to do and why we are always wide open. We craved 4-4-2 but I've never seen owt like it, so narrow its unreal.

All the good teams playing 4-4-2 have full backs and wide men working in tandem, this is shapeless rubbish from a manager totally out his depth
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:26 pm

How many times does Mal Benning cut inside on his right and then try and shoot with his left foot (or the outside of his left foot)? If he had a right foot he would probably be challenging for top goalscorer.

Ironically Mal scored his wonder goal at Daggers by smashing one into the roof of the net on the volley with his right foot.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum