{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Bishop speaks out over fans’ abuse at home

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Bishop speaks out over fans’ abuse at home

Postby Tawnystag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:00 am

On his Facebook page, Bish posted a long message asking the fans to stop getting on their backs at home. Interesting read.
Tawnystag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: Bishop speaks out over fans’ abuse at home

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:02 am

Can someone transcript it for those folk lucky enough not to be on Facebook. Thanks.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:04 am

Sorry Bish, that's the business you are in, you have been around long enough to know that, you are being let down by the manager not the supporters.
Last edited by oldweststander on Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Tawnystag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:05 am

Have screen grab - not sure how to post images. Have uploaded here - https://ibb.co/4SZxmQk and here https://ibb.co/FbQfk7v
Tawnystag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Kernow » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:16 am

Must be honest I prefer the away games where the fans support the lads 100%.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:17 am

Where I was, on the way out, I heard a few half hearted boos. Most people were tired, cold, fed up and let down and just headed for home.

The players, who so often bask in the glory of a win away, most recently Walsall, need to realise that the performances at home have to be a damn sight better.

Though this does not condone the personal abuse which is not necessary and should not happen.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:22 am

He should focus on improving his poor performances rather than moaning about fans boo’ing another poor home display. Funnily enough, the fans prefer watching the team playing away from home at the minute as well. I would say though I wouldn’t say the boo’s were ‘aggressive’, and I didn’t hear any personal abuse so can’t comment on that.

the atmosphere around the place isn’t good at the minute though which nobody enjoys from fans to players. Nobody has any real hope, and then when the performance is poor as expected it he fans get their backs up. I’m fully aware this is not good and doesn’t really help anything, particularly after a win, but we all know there is only one thing that can truly change the atmosphere now, and that’s a change of manager.

I miss the buzz of going to a game like last season and I think thousands of others feel the same.

Edit central :lol:
Last edited by BH_Stag on Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:25 am

very easy to solve this “toxic” atmosphere though!

fans are so frustrated with the performance of our team, yesterday’s performance was so poor, we all want success don’t we?

for players this is a job, for us we bleed amber n blue it’s our team? our colours when the crowd see players putting it in they will stop.

i have never booed my team, my protest was to just walk off sulking

what has gone sooo wrong from last season
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:25 am

Tawnystag wrote:Have screen grab - not sure how to post images. Have uploaded here - https://ibb.co/4SZxmQk and here https://ibb.co/FbQfk7v

Thanks mate. Can’t really argue with him.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby hucknallstag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:27 am

Supporters turn very quickly at mansfield,they always have.maybe it's at the constant failure they've mainly had to endure over the years?if you've followed the stags over a number of years the successes are far greatly overweighed by failure.i read in another thread about former managers and rubbish teams formed by sparse budgets and bad owners of the club,which makes the current situation even worse.the Radford's have to be applauded for there efforts whilst they've been at the club,trying there best to bring success on the field,however,I think even John must realise it's time to hold his hands up and admit this huge mistake?dempsters heart is in it for sure but he is miles from the fit the club needed after the sacking of DF.experience and a old head to soften the blow of the massive disappointment?as for the toxic environment? I've seen it many times before and it will happen again and again whilst this situation is allowed to continue,its disappointing however to see players blaming fans and to a degree....fans blaming players when in all honesty,we all know where the problem lies.
Last edited by hucknallstag on Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
hucknallstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Jamie » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:29 am

He's makes a fair point, being booed off after a win isn't normal, but it wont change until performances do. It's not about last season, its about how poor we are THIS season. Does he think if we were top 7 now they would have been booed off yesterday. No they would not.

JR needs to wake up. Hes caused this by employing a rookie at a time when we needed strength and someone to pick the club up off its knees. This manager is failing, the fans are rightly angry, the players seem to be effected as a result. It's only going to stop when we get someone capable in charge. JR needs to act now and correct his blunder before things get worse.

Also I dont think many if any were booing the players. It was directed at the manager for his negative selection, negative tactics, negative subs (timing wise) and because instead of turning up to enjoy a cup game against a weak side all of the above left us impotent. We paid to watch a very poor game in cold conditions but the main problem is the managers negativity. You can't blame the fans for being negative or toxic when it's the manager who caused it...

Yes we could support blindly. It might even work but that isn't going to happen now. Get a positive manager who knows what hes doing and fans will get behind them.
Last edited by Jamie on Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby NG17_stag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:31 am

He thinks we’re disappointed because we didn’t get promoted last season. Why can none of the management/team see that we’re reacting to what is happening on the pitch THIS season.

Performances are awful, league position is awful, and near enough the worst defence in the league... the home attendance spoke volumes yesterday.

Ignoring the one or two which might shout abusive things, how can they not expect boo’s/Dempster out chants when they’re a team expected to finish top 3 by ourselves and the bookies, but sat 10 points and 10 teams off.
NG17_stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:34 am

NG17_stag wrote:He thinks we’re disappointed because we didn’t get promoted last season. Why can none of the management/team see that we’re reacting to what is happening on the pitch THIS season.

Performances are awful, league position is awful, and near enough the worst defence in the league... the home attendance spoke volumes yesterday.

Ignoring the one or two which might shout abusive things, how can they not expect boo’s/Dempster out chants when they’re a team expected to finish top 3 by ourselves and the bookies, but sat 10 points and 10 teams off.

Agreed.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:38 am

Tawnystag wrote:Have screen grab - not sure how to post images. Have uploaded here - https://ibb.co/4SZxmQk and here https://ibb.co/FbQfk7v

thank you very much for loading
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sneag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:48 am

I thought most of the crowd were too bored and too cold to be arsed to boo the team off.

There just seemed a collective 'Thank God that's over' groan from the crowd a few isolated boos and a hurry for the exits.

Bish needs to take a long hard look in the mirror after his own totally unprofessional performance yesterday. As a team we stunk the place out & our senior pro was more interested in trying to pick a fight with a non league player, than getting on with the game.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:50 am

BH_Stag wrote:
NG17_stag wrote:He thinks we’re disappointed because we didn’t get promoted last season. Why can none of the management/team see that we’re reacting to what is happening on the pitch THIS season.

Agreed.

And this is where the separation comes between club...team ...and fans. Last season's gone but from the start many of us felt the appointment of JD was going to stagnate the club but what is happening is so much worse.

As the others have said our frustration and discontent is with THIS manager NOW and the performances the team are giving us under him. He is so clueless and defensive minded it beggars belief. He kept looking behind him at the bench seemingly wondering what to do next.....bring bloody Mellis CJ and anyone else on who has flair and something about them.

I'd rather a flair player try and fail rather than watch the incessant crab like backward passing dross we saw yesterday against a team we should have wiped the floor with.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:51 am

If the players genuinely feel like that there’s a big issue at the club. I think JD needs use it to create a siege mentality to drive player unity, if they turn on each over it all falls apart. Paul Cox did this well in the conference, I think it was like this before they went on the crazy promotion run and the crowd turned behind them very quickly as we all want to.

I agree that it isn’t helpful at the moment and I haven’t booed personally. I think the staff, management and players, need to do some work to understand why. It’s not the disappointment of last season as many have pointed out, the negativity on the pitch this season is fuelling it off the pitch and creative a toxic cycle. If things don’t change I can only see John and Carolyn having to make changes themselves which is the point many fans have already got to.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby WVStag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:51 am

In all honesty, Bishop should put his big boy pants on and allow themselves as players and more importantly the manager to account for this seasons showings on the pitch.

Comments like what Dempster received about f'ing off and dying are obviously filed under abuse, which is unacceptable and normal people don't make those comments. However, the booing, the Dempster out chance, the criticism of players/managers ineptitude at full time isn't out of place in my book. They are the soundings off of (rightly) angry fans who have forked out 25 quid to see utter toss yet again from their team.

They are all absolutely miles off it. Bishop thinks it's because of last season, Broughton walked off yesterday shaking his head at the booing, Dempster walked off with hands out as if to ask 'why are you booing?'... are they that clueless? Do they genuinely believe that they're doing alright and performances and results improving? Baffling.

The usual suspects will give it the old 'gEt BeHinD tHe TeAm, CaLL yOuRsElF a FaN' but that's as stupid as Bishop's ramblings. Booing your own team is not as counter-productive as people think. Fans are allowed after this abomination of a season's start to voice there opinion. The product we are paying for is flipping dreadful. Sorry to say, but for the people that like to think for themselves, we aren't prepared to just sing and clap along come what may. Without criticism, you don't progress. Booing after a win (as someone earlier mentioned in the thread) isn't normal. But that doesn't mean it's unacceptable. Shocking thought.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:52 am

I didn’t boo, doesn’t excuse I think that was a god god awful performance with us being matched for a large portion of the game by a load of conference cloggers.
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:55 am

yesterday’s game was screaming out for a player in the middle of the park to play that forward killer ball, & for a player with real pace to slice through their back line like butter, we bloody had both sat on their bums on the bench till 3/4 of the game had gone what was he thinking ?

it’s truly bonkers, everyone in the ground could see it, apart from two people
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:56 am

WVStag wrote:They are all absolutely miles off it. Bishop thinks it's because of last season, Broughton walked off yesterday shaking his head at the booing, Dempster walked off with hands out as if to ask 'why are you booing?'... are they that clueless? Do they genuinely believe that they're doing alright and performances and results improving? Baffling.

Someone at the club needs to copy and paste this paragraph and send it to every one of the management team and players. Says everything about what is wrong.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:58 am

Booing players is never good, but it would be good if one of the players came and watched the game in the upper west stand then they would understand why the fans are getting so upset.
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby Kenwood » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:00 am

It’s a difficult one booing obviously does not help the players and being competitive sportsmen they are bound to find the criticism annoying (not necessarily upsetting)

But I’m not sure how else as fans you can express your opinion and disappointment after watching that very very poor performance yesterday?

Although I didn’t boo I did feel deflated and couldn’t even be bothered to celebrate the late WINNING goal, so poor a performance I had just witnessed.

I have only watched 45 minutes of entertainment this season and that was probably the Plymouth game which we lost. Having missed the Oldham game, this season so far has been not just disappointing (that happens) but more importantly not enjoyable and extremely poor
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby Foresttownstag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:02 am

Absolutely spot on
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:08 am

At least it will give Lomas a story.
Beano
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum