{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Today's Support or lack of it.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Today's Support or lack of it.

Postby dylster » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:30 pm

:o
I virtually never post on this forum, but observe and take in what in the main is reasonable and objective comments
about our beloved football club.
Today has been remarkable in the reaction from supporters and has led me to post this observation.
I accept fully that people who take timeout to spend their money and support the Stags at the ground have the right to objective criticism.

But over the last few weeks that objectiveness has literally disappeared and been replaced by outright abuse.
Within 2 minutes of today's game (2 minutes!) the so called fans around me were at it, jumping up and down abusing both the
Manager and the players, incredible. By half-time the ABUSE and that is the only way to describe it had reached fever pitch.

Surely we are there to SUPPORT the team, aren't we? I certainly am. I know this season has been frustrating and at times worse than that,
but to hear Stags' fans loudly BOO a win, a win for God sake! Some of you are wondering why our home form is so poor, seriously!

For me surely we have to get behind the team, there were fans there today, who I'm pretty sure wanted the team to get beat.
In my local after the game with a bunch of friends who had been to the game, I freely admitted we were poor and need to do better.
But to shout out the sort of ABUSE we witnessed today and indeed in previous home games is NOT SUPPORT, it is negative and bound to have an effect
on the players.

If you can't see that I seriously don't know what to say, apart from Come on You Stags!!!!
dylster
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Today's Support or lack of it.

Postby The One » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:35 pm

The atmosphere is toxic because of JD and his negative tactics and style of play.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby hucknallstag » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:42 pm

thats got to be john dempster.....yes? dont worry pal,the rate the performances are going lately,there will be plenty of empty spaces around you and you wont hear the "abuse"any more.
hucknallstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:19 pm

dylster wrote::o
I virtually never post on this forum, but observe and take in what in the main is reasonable and objective comments
Today has been remarkable in the reaction from supporters and has led me to post this observation.
I accept fully that people who take timeout to spend their money and support the Stags at the ground have the right to objective criticism.

But over the last few weeks that objectiveness has literally disappeared and been replaced by outright abuse.
Within 2 minutes of today's game (2 minutes!) the so called fans around me were at it, jumping up and down abusing both the
Manager and the players, incredible. By half-time the ABUSE and that is the only way to describe it had reached fever pitch.

Surely we are there to SUPPORT the team, aren't we? I certainly am. I know this season has been frustrating and at times worse than that,
but to hear Stags' fans loudly BOO a win, a win for God sake! Some of you are wondering why our home form is so poor, seriously!

For me surely we have to get behind the team, there were fans there today, who I'm pretty sure wanted the team to get beat.
In my local after the game with a bunch of friends who had been to the game, I freely admitted we were poor and need to do better.
But to shout out the sort of ABUSE we witnessed today and indeed in previous home games is NOT SUPPORT, it is negative and bound to have an effect
on the players.

If you can't see that I seriously don't know what to say, apart from Come on You Stags!!!!

Good post. We are back to the later days of PC and AM when the Neanderthals made the stadium a horrible toxic place to be in.

Like you say the football is very poor at the moment but by giving players two opponents to contend with, (the opposition and some of our crowd ), it simply makes their task harder.

It won't be the poor football that stops me going, it will be the awful abusive atmosphere in the stadium.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:26 pm

Don't worry Andy,, after Christmas there won't be an atmosphere of any sort, toxic or otherwise, because the place will be empty, except for a few happy clappers..Anybody that pays £25 plus to watch the crap being served up at the moment, will need there head examining ,with the season over, bar a relegation battle.
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Sneag » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:49 pm

TBH I sat in the QLE today (based on potential windchill) and the atmosphere such as it was, was far more toxic than I'm used to in K Block. Up there it's been mostly quiet resignation rather than hostility.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:53 pm

The One wrote:The atmosphere is toxic because of JD and his negative tactics and style of play.

I think that it is much more than that, The One, as it is the end of a run of 11 months during which we have gone from being in top three to complete capitulation, throwing away our best chance of promotion to and staying in League One, the whole Bury and Bolton debacle, a strange sacking of the manager and then everything since then.
Everything has just made the Dempster experience even more toxic.

That said, some of the attitude of posters has been unnecessarily vile.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:33 am

tbf our home attendances over the past 9ish years have been tommy in the 1st rnd of t'cup.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:42 am

look at the attendance yesterday fans are starting to vote with their feet, JR was there yesterday and took it all in, he isn’t daft, he will do what needs to be done !
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:52 am

i doubt if we'd been 'firing' we'd have managed more than 2.5/6k home supporters yesrerday
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:01 am

I don’t think the admission price of £15 helped.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:06 am

but that's a mutual thing between clubs, not just MTFC's decision
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:06 am

I think the attendance was pretty much what was expected all things considered....JD... season so far... abysmal home form....FA Cup1 and opponents. .. weather...ticket price.

I just hope Mr Radford noted the funereal lifeless and anti JD atmosphere. Even the lads in Q block were quiet after 5 minutes.

Compare that to some of the games under Dave Flitcroft last year when the place was rocking.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:32 am

Amber Andy wrote:

on the players.

Good post. We are back to the later days of PC and AM when the Neanderthals made the stadium a horrible toxic place to be in.

Like you say the football is very poor at the moment but by giving players two opponents to contend with, (the opposition and some of our crowd ), it simply makes their task harder.

It won't be the poor football that stops me going, it will be the awful abusive atmosphere in the stadium.

Good post. Some of the negativity is driven by the same people who are serial whiners . To openly want the club to lose with the related financial impact, to suggest fans stay away,to criticise the Radford , to clearly not want JD to succeed is not support. The abuse is not in my view acceptable

Am I happy - no. Do I think JD can turn it around - need to see some signs soon. But I think it is sad that having given so much and developed the academy some want him unemployed at this time of year. That could happen but it’s something I hope we can avoid.

COYS
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:39 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:I think the attendance was pretty much what was expected all things considered....JD... season so far... abysmal home form....FA Cup1 and opponents. .. weather...ticket price.

I just hope Mr Radford noted the funereal lifeless and anti JD atmosphere. Even the lads in Q block were quiet after 5 minutes.

Compare that to some of the games under Dave Flitcroft last year when the place was rocking.

There were some pretty dull atmospheres last year as well early doors and later on. There were also some very angry ones close to the end of the season.

It's no good wishing Flitcroft was still here because he isn't and I don't think we would have been doing any better if he were. This team has been very poor since February.

Dempster will not be sacked as we aren't going anywhere except mid to low table. The board will continue to state that the aim is promotion whether it really is or not. This just reminds me of the lies when Paul Cox had his budget almost halved and the board insisted it had been increased. They are there to sell tickets and won't say anything to stop those sales.

Expectations have to be realistic or we will all be receiving treatment for high blood pressure. Those who want to pay to watch will and the rest will fall away and be back when things pick up. We just have to make our own minds up which it is to be.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:56 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:I think the attendance was pretty much what was expected all things considered....JD... season so far... abysmal home form....FA Cup1 and opponents. .. weather...ticket price.

There were some pretty dull atmospheres last year as well early doors and later on. There were also some very angry ones close to the end of the season.

Can’t argue with any of that

It's no good wishing Flitcroft was still here because he isn't and I don't think we would have been doing any better if he were. This team has been very poor since February.

Dempster will not be sacked as we aren't going anywhere except mid to low table. The board will continue to state that the aim is promotion whether it really is or not. This just reminds me of the lies when Paul Cox had his budget almost halved and the board insisted it had been increased. They are there to sell tickets and won't say anything to stop those sales.

Expectations have to be realistic or we will all be receiving treatment for high blood pressure. Those who want to pay to watch will and the rest will fall away and be back when things pick up. We just have to make our own minds up which it is to be.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:38 am

Today’s support lack of it, the 2K attendance, is due IMO the way we have been playing of late. End of.

Traditionally if you have a poor start to a season (and we have had one) fans come to the cup games as you have ‘magic of the cup’ with a chance for them to see their side come out all guns blazing in a one off game that is a respite from their league performances.

Sadly for us yesterday the Mansfield public had an inkling that the performance was not one to be of change and attacking flair and voted with their feet. Out of the ten or so I usually see in the railway and sit near only three of us turned up. Why, for the simple reason that they took the view I have just stated whereas I took the view that less hope is wrong.

JD states that it is a results based business and that we are in the hat for round two. So if you look at it from his perspective it didn’t matter if you went or didn’t we are still in the hat.

Me, I can’t believe that we have all that ability and attacking flair on the pitch from a good bunch of individual players and that we didn’t get at them from the outset. Playing football that we know we are capable of. Still as JD says it is the result that counts. Shame really.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby hucknallstag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:44 am

The only reason league games see better attendances are because of season ticket sales.id be interested to see the take up of season ticket sales for next season based on the current situation.
hucknallstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:48 am

Hi john
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby hucknallstag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:56 am

Uh?do you honestly think that season ticket sales will be good next season if this experiment is allowed to continue?I think they are only staying as they are now because supporters don't want to throw there already spent money away.
hucknallstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:57 am

bigalstag wrote:Don't worry Andy,, after Christmas there won't be an atmosphere of any sort, toxic or otherwise, because the place will be empty, except for a few happy clappers..Anybody that pays £25 plus to watch the crap being served up at the moment, will need there head examining ,with the season over, bar a relegation battle.

That's fine bigalstag, it's their choice.

Surely the purpose of coming to games is to support the team. Doing the opposite adversely affects the players performance and spoils the atmosphere for the vast majority of fans who have also paid good money.

Criticism and views are best shown on forums like this.

None of us are happy with how things are going. Supporting the team is crucial in times like these.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:00 am

on the players.

Dylster. I know who you are and you should know me. We attended many games together back in the day and you know how passionate I am about the club. Although I don't agree with abusing the players the people running the club at which ever level don't seem to understand the frustration of the fans. Real fans like myself who have bled yellow and blue for 50 years. We fell short by oe goal last season and made a knee jerk reaction. Although not agreeing with it I was prepared to give JD every support. But surely you can see this is not a manager learning and getting better but is simply not good enough. This squad is easily good enough to be top 3.could I do the job, no. But that doesn't mean that I can't see what is missing. Absolutely no pressure on the ball when the opposition have it making the midfield look awful when they try to tackle as individuals rather than a team. No movement and people wanting the ball so we can pass through midfield, so we play 10 safe passes across the back then whack it long. The players look frustrated that they are playing this way, hence some of the poor disipline. The crowd are so frustrated with what is going on on the field. There was support at the start of the season but game after game its the same. Being played off the park by Colchester was my last straw. I've chosen not to attend rather than hurl abuse. But unless the obvious is done things will only get worse. The progress made over the past few years with John's money and the positively around the club is being slowly wrecked week after week.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:07 am

It's a vicious circle isn't it, crap on field performance, generates more discontent, etc, etc.

Someone has to break the circle, the only way the fans will change is when the on field performances are convincing.

I was gobsmacked when I saw the team sheet yesterday, how defensive can you set-up against a side bottom of the Conference, from the minute it was issued you knew what was coming or not which is more to the point. Cook and Maynard must despair in the fact they aren't going to get any supply, the refusal to get balls into the box is unbelievable. Pass back, pass square, check back, pass back to Conrad it is painful.

The style of our play was summed up when their GK and the rest of the team were up for the corner, why on earth wasn't CJ in the centre circle for the counter, why when Logan got the ball didn't he go for the open goal, he's got the range - the crowd were willing him to shoot but he went to ground to waste time.

A run of consistent convincing performances will win the crowd over - simple as that
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:10 am

Tbh yesterday most fans probably had a collective loss of will to live after about 60 minutes.

I can’t really understand how anyone could have been motivated by that, the performance sucked the life out of any form of atmosphere.

If there is real abuse then fair enough.

The boos at the end were entirely justified though, it was frustration over not just today’s latest dire showing but about the dross that’s been served up at home this season.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:15 am

adamstag wrote:Tbh yesterday most fans probably had a collective loss of will to live after about 60 minutes.

I can’t really understand how anyone could have been motivated by that, the performance sucked the life out of any form of atmosphere.

If there is real abuse then fair enough.

The boos at the end were entirely justified though, it was frustration over not just today’s latest dire showing but about the dross that’s been served up at home this season.

Apart from the 12 year old kid with the drum 8n the QLE who spent 90 minutes randomly whacking the hell out of it. Maybe he was just trying to keep warm, or keep himself entertained.

My head was pounding by full time.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum