{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Macclesfield Town - Players Not Paid (EFL Investigates)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Macclesfield Town - Players Not Paid (EFL Investigates)

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:02 pm

Time for the EFL to be asking for proof of funding for the rest of the season from Macclesfield Town. If this is not provided then they should be thrown out the league.

Why did the EFL allow them to start the season without proof of funds when they owed wages to players from last season? Why did the EFL allow them to sign more players? More complete incompetence by the EFL. It's time for an Independent Regulator.

The EFL now need to start deducting points if Macclesfield's players are not paid in full within next 7 days.

Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Re: Macclesfield Town - Players Not Paid (Again!)

Postby NorthLondonStag » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:49 pm

TTF - I don’t disagree with you on what should be happening, but I assume the reality is that the EFL have very limited powers in this situation? Presumably there’s no powers to deduct points except the specific situation of administration or actual insolvency etc?

I agree that there should be a rule change though to deal with this sort of thing.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby chip63 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:07 am

Didn't we have the same scenario under haslam.
How would we of felt if they chucked us out of the league.
I don't have the answer but it's not the clubs that need punishing it's the owners
Maybe every owner should provide the league with a years wages in advance.
Obviously paid back upon sale of club.
Maybe a 2 million retention that's paid back in instalments every year.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:06 am

NorthLondonStag wrote:TTF - I don’t disagree with you on what should be happening, but I assume the reality is that the EFL have very limited powers in this situation? Presumably there’s no powers to deduct points except the specific situation of administration or actual insolvency etc?

I agree that there should be a rule change though to deal with this sort of thing.

Good point NLS but the EFL power brokers and Board are more than happy to take the kudos, prestige and money deriving by leading the organisation so it is their responsibility to ensure that the organisation they administer is fit for purpose. Ive said before that they are more than happy to trot out every politically correct and touchy feely programme going and bask in the glory of "doing the right thing" except seemingly to protect, players, staff , supporters and the integrity of the competition.

They cant have it both ways but seemingly only do up to the point of hand ringing and "its not our problem"
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:15 am

chip63 wrote:Didn't we have the same scenario under haslam. How would we of felt if they chucked us out of the league.

I would have welcomed it as it would have probably meant that we would have got rid of the parasite much earlier than we did!!
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:26 am

NorthLondonStag wrote:TTF - I don’t disagree with you on what should be happening, but I assume the reality is that the EFL have very limited powers in this situation? Presumably there’s no powers to deduct points except the specific situation of administration or actual insolvency etc?

That's the point I'm making North London that to protect the sporting integrity of the league they need to change their rules to allow points deductions. No doubt this will be discussed at the forthcoming Taylor Review that Debbie Jevans keeps using as a defence against EFL incompetence.

However, the EFL clearly do have the power, like in the cases of Bury and Bolton, to demand that proof of funds for the rest of the season are provided by Macclesfield within the next 14 days (or the club is sold to someone who can provide such proof of funds) or they are thrown out of the league. It would be better to deal with Macclesfield now rather than them going bust in March/April when it could have more of a major impact on the integrity of the league and affect promotion and play off places. However I'm not expecting any quick action by the EFL. They demanded proof of funds from Steve Dale in December 2018 and then did absolutely nothing until April 2019 and even allowed Bury to sign further players.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:06 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
chip63 wrote:Didn't we have the same scenario under haslam. How would we of felt if they chucked us out of the league.

I would have welcomed it as it would have probably meant that we would have got rid of the parasite much earlier than we did!!

Wow... so you'd sooner we ended up as a club with no status at all or maybe 5/6 leagues lower than we are. What a joke. How on earth would that have been better than the promotion we went onto achieve (after wages weren't paid in the late 90s). I dont remember wages not being paid at all following the ground redevelopment...

Thankfully that didn't happen and in the end your contribution was limited to stopping a viable fans led takeover (because it waant the way you wanted it done) and instead helping Perry and Saunders tie us into non league forever with a deal that encouraged/enabled asset stripping and with a lease that wouldnt allow promotion. JR saved the club, no doubt. He also saved you and others from the mess you made of removing Haslam.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:22 am

Blimey. You are a bitter and twisted man Jamie :lol:

Please can you explain more about your "viable fans led takeover". Are you referring to the proposal from you and your Dad that had absolutely no support from the "the fans" including the SSA, Stags Fans United, Ollerton Stags and Stags Fans For Change. :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:35 am

I think to stop this not paying wages on the second occasion the club should be mandatory put up for sale with a value of £1 which includes all the assets of the club and any debt is to be covered by the share holders

The sale of the club should be overseen by an administrator and the new owners must provide details how the club is going to be funded.

The fit and proper person system should be made much more stringent, with all liability for debt sitting with the owners share holders.

All football clubs should be made into charities and owners/share holders should not be allowed to take any money out of the club in any form of payment.

Just shows how lucky we are to have the radfords.
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:44 am

Good points Wardy. There needs to be an Independent Regulator who can intervene and sell the club to someone who can provide proof of funds that they can run the club.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:05 am

Picking up a couple of points above:

Yes there should be a different system but the board can’t take matters into their own hands and just change the rules or how they apply them.

Rule changes require a vote passed by an agreed majority of clubs. Until there’s a rule change there’s no point in complaining to much about the Board because their hands are tied.

Wardy has some interesting ideas but the EFL don’t have the power to transfer assets from one entity (with its own creditors and owners) to someone else. That would require a new insolvency system for football clubs: Government has made specific rules for banks, rail, water and the like but they don’t have the time to do it for football, it’s not important enough.

A good idea, which Wardy raises, would be to require an owner to guarantee the debts (or at least the football related debts). That could be imposed as a Condition of the registration and would focus the mind of an owner playing with other people’s money.

You could also introduce a system where at the start of each season the clubs are required to produce a proper forecast that shows that the club is likely to have funds to complete the season. That would include where the funding is coming from and how it is committed.l (eg letter from the bank).
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby SINA STAG » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:45 pm

Its like any business from Banks to Travel Agents the only time it becomes everyone busines is when it's gone tits up n then questions are asked by people running the organisation or the government trying to sort out why people have lost their jobs.

Until the above happens no one is bothered if the company is struggling financially it's just the way of life in business.
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:46 pm

The best idea would be for any new owner to put in say 3 months wages (at the time of becoming owner) and changing this at the start of each season depending on whether wage bills go up or down.

If the club uses a months wages from the reverse then they’re on a transfer ban and then the level of penalty increases until this is resolved
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:58 pm

Macclesfield Town players and staff are considering strike action if they do not receive their wages for October. Their FA Cup game against Kingstonian could be in doubt.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:25 am

Macclesfield players are now on strike. Joe Sealey, son of Les Sealey, is trying to buy the club.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50332699
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:47 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Macclesfield players are now on strike. Joe Sealey, son of Les Sealey, is trying to buy the club.

And where are the EFL again....heaven forbid they should do anything to justify their salaries
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:16 pm

Will our game be off next saturday then?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:46 am

I trust Mansfield Town FC will be responsible for giving a refund on the tickets if the game doesn't go ahead. Would be unacceptable if they hand over the ticket money in advance just to get their percentage and leave the fans looking to Macclesfield for the refund.
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby PaulG » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:59 am

Rather depends on what the rules are, doesn't it? They may be under a legal obligation to forward ticket receipts to the home club.
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Bros » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:37 am

In the good old days I seem to remember that if a club could not fulfil a fixture the match was awarded to the other team, 3-0
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:07 am

Bros wrote:In the good old days I seem to remember that if a club could not fulfil a fixture the match was awarded to the other team, 3-0

Certainly not now though, as we saw from the early season Bury and Bolton games that were postponed.

I imagine we'll know more if and when Macclesfield's game this weekend goes ahead.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:16 am

Bros wrote:In the good old days I seem to remember that if a club could not fulfil a fixture the match was awarded to the other team, 3-0

I don't think the EFL have made a decision yet on the game that Bolton Wanderers cancelled against Donny Rovers back in August.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:25 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:

I don't think the EFL have made a decision yet on the game that Bolton Wanderers cancelled against Donny Rovers back in August.

How difficult is it that they haven't done so three months later. They just shoot themselves in the foot time after time if this is true - and I'm more inclined to believe you TTF than anything that comes out of their PR machine.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:51 pm

I don’t think Bolton have yet been sanctioned after failing to fulfil their fixture vs Brentford from last May.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:46 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum