{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

New Manager?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New Manager?

Postby yorkstag » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:00 pm

Big yella wrote:One has been a manager for 19 games and has a win rate of around 26%, and the other has 9 years experience, and a win rate of over 45% which includes four (4) promotions. Yet according to some on here it is trying to 'hound out' the current manager by saying that Clarke would have been a better appointment.

No people are not saying Clarke would have been a better appointment - they are saying them want him now. Well based on what I saw on Saturday it would be disastrous.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:06 pm

DC brought in 16 player at Walsall and they are still a poor side.

Both DF and SE had better promotion results history.

We have JD for this season so suck it up and get behind him and the team. Perhap it will be the beginning of his promotion history
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:20 pm

Conker wrote:
yorkstag wrote:Please tell me this is a bad dream.

Clarke has done ok but previously sacked by Bristol Rovers and now managing a really poor side . Walsall fans would love to get him out and no one knows who has what budget.

This really is one of the most ridiculous threads ever and the competition is pretty hot.

There is no evidence that Clarke would do any good here apart from some misplaced sentimentality and a desire from the same people om here to hound managers out of the club and blame Conrad for everything that goes wrong.

We will be fine and if we're not JR will deal with it but not sure DC is the answer. We would be recycling serial failure in my view.

Thing is mate there’s a difference to ‘hound managers out of the club’ to saying they would prefer a manager who’s already been promoted from this division’

There’s also a difference between ‘blame Conrad for everything that goes wrong’ and thinking our best goalkeeper should be playing instead.

Both are completely logical things to say, you just don’t wanna hear it.

There is a difference between blaming conrad and thinking the better keeper should play. Clutching at straws making out conrad has messed up when he hadn't just so the other keeper can play. What if that keeper makes a mistake, just like Bobby did in the cup?

Do people not understand what competition for places is? Conrad is keeping Bobby out on merit, whether we think Bobby is better or not is irrelevant, Conrad has done no wrong and is keeping Bobby out. Bobby will only get in now if Conrad gets a suspension, Injury or makes too many ACTUAL howlers, not made up or exaggerated ones.

Another point pertinent to the thread. We moan like mad that we don't "develop our own" yet all we ever want is proven this and proven that. Perhaps given time JD can see us up. Perhaps not. Only time will tell.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:24 pm

Cant remember who quoted DC 's stats but I assume they were lifted off Wikipedia.

Well if you understand stats lets trend them

Salisbury to Bristol Rovers to Walsall. I cant be bothered but suggest you get you're calculator out and come back on the board with you're findings. ( I do know the answer but would prefer you to post )

Now I don't want DC to fail as I saw him break into the first team and would love him to come back some day , but for now we have JD and we should support him. Again if you understand stats I would suggest JDs games would be considered insufficient and would be interested where his number came from.

Over to you
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:20 pm

yorkstag wrote:JD is starting out - DC is currently failing and based on what I saw badly failing. As many would say on here its a results game apart from when it suits.

For the record,

JD is failing here as it stands.

DC has had back-to-back promotions with Salisbury city and Bristol Rovers.

Regardless of the result yesterday, Clarke has more credentials than Dempster.

Recycling the same failed managers, when talking about Clarke is stupid comment given his successes. Then you say you'd like to see him here one day! Well would it not be recycling the same failed manager in the future?

It doesn't work out for all managers at all clubs. Look at
Jones or Rowett at Stoke. Good managers failing at a the same club.

Mark Cooper at Notts... then went on to do well at FGR.

You're not being fair in your comparisons.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:43 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:You can't deny Clarke's credentials.

We may have beaten his team, but you don't judge a manager over a game, which I'm often reminded. It's over a season. Clarke has managed to get several teams promoted. Dempster hasn't yet.

Well errrrr it's his first job and only played 16 league games.
I'm pretty sure t'Rovers fans wanted dazz gone when he got them relegated but he was given a chance to rectify the situation.
jd's never been even given a chance by some on here
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:54 pm

Spiritater, my point was more to Yorkstag who said 'There is no evidence that Clarke would do any good here apart from some misplaced sentimentality '

Well... There is evidence, is proven by his success at other clubs.

I say to you and Yorkstag, there is no evidence of JD being any good here.

Like you said, he has only played 16 games in his first job, and he's hardly hit the ground running, has he?

Because I'm cynical and not convinced JD IS the man to get us promoted, don't think for 1 second that it's because I want either him or the club to fail. I don't. I want MTFC to be successful.

I just think that of all the managers in our ballpark, I'd love Clarke to be our manager. Maybe it is misplaced sentiment, or maybe he's the proven, successful, local-lad-come-good, we've all been waiting for. One of our own, who 'gets it'.
Last edited by arsene wengers coat on Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:59 pm

Quite interesting Yorkstag that you seem happy to write Clarke off as disastrous and failing based on one game you’ve seen and the results so far this season, yet anyone who writes off Dempster based on the same amount of games is wrong.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:02 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Quite interesting Yorkstag that you seem happy to write Clarke off as disastrous and failing based on one game you’ve seen and the results so far this season, yet anyone who writes off Dempster based on the same amount of games is wrong.

Despite Clarke having been clearly successful elsewhere, and Dempster hasn't!
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:28 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Quite interesting Yorkstag that you seem happy to write Clarke off as disastrous and failing based on one game you’ve seen and the results so far this season, yet anyone who writes off Dempster based on the same amount of games is wrong.

quite a daft comparison when Dempster is only 16 games into his first management spell
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby stagone1959 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:46 pm

Clarke was dropped in the cack at Rovers when they were in freefall,he didn't manage to keep them out of the pit.I don't think their fans blamed him for that relegation although they looked none too pleased at the end of our match there !!
stagone1959
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:58 pm

Darrell Clarke is a Mansfield lad and a former Stag and so will always be in contention for the manager's job at Field Mill in the future. He has three promotions on his CV. Ritchie Barker is another one who may want to come back at some stage.

For the moment, lets see if JD and the Corby/Rushden & Diamonds lads can turn things round. He seems to be getting things back on track. There's another massive game on Saturday which he needs to win. He's managed to hammer Oldham who are one of our bogey sides. Let's see if he can beat Col U who always seem to grab a draw at Field Mill although I can remember Iyesden Christie putting four past them on a Friday night. Things could go horribly wrong if we lose to Colchester and are then knocked out of the FA Cup by Chorley.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:12 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

quite a daft comparison when Dempster is only 16 games into his first management spell

How is it a daft comparison? How can 16 games at a club be enough to condemn one man but not the other, regardless of any previous experience they've had? Especially when Clarke's coaching career has been hugely successful so far.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:22 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Darrell Clarke is a Mansfield lad and a former Stag and so will always be in contention for the manager's job at Field Mill in the future. He has three promotions on his CV. Ritchie Barker is another one who may want to come back at some stage.

For the moment, lets see if JD and the Corby/Rushden & Diamonds lads can turn things round. He seems to be getting things back on track. There's another massive game on Saturday which he needs to win. He's managed to hammer Oldham who are one of our bogey sides. Let's see if he can beat Col U who always seem to grab a draw at Field Mill although I can remember Iyesden Christie putting four past them on a Friday night. Things could go horribly wrong if we lose to Colchester and are then knocked out of the FA Cup by Chorley.

So ttf if we lose to Colchester and beat Chorley everthing in the garden is rosy ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:39 am

A manager always has a chance of survival with a decent FA Cup run Dave. It can also provide a little impetus for the season.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:27 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

How is it a daft comparison? How can 16 games at a club be enough to condemn one man but not the other, regardless of any previous experience they've had? Especially when Clarke's coaching career has been hugely successful so far.

don't you have to have a full season to judge whether it's been successful or not? anyway, we won't be sacking JD any time soon so we might as well get behind him and push the team up the league than have a love in with a manager who isn't doing a better job than Dempster currently.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:53 am

gazza1988 wrote:
Conker wrote:
yorkstag wrote:Please tell me this is a bad dream.

Clarke has done ok but previously sacked by Bristol Rovers and now managing a really poor side . Walsall fans would love to get him out and no one knows who has what budget.

This really is one of the most ridiculous threads ever and the competition is pretty hot.

There is no evidence that Clarke would do any good here apart from some misplaced sentimentality and a desire from the same people om here to hound managers out of the club and blame Conrad for everything that goes wrong.

We will be fine and if we're not JR will deal with it but not sure DC is the answer. We would be recycling serial failure in my view.

Thing is mate there’s a difference to ‘hound managers out of the club’ to saying they would prefer a manager who’s already been promoted from this division’

There’s also a difference between ‘blame Conrad for everything that goes wrong’ and thinking our best goalkeeper should be playing instead.

Both are completely logical things to say, you just don’t wanna hear it.

There is a difference between blaming conrad and thinking the better keeper should play. Clutching at straws making out conrad has messed up when he hadn't just so the other keeper can play. What if that keeper makes a mistake, just like Bobby did in the cup?

Do people not understand what competition for places is? Conrad is keeping Bobby out on merit, whether we think Bobby is better or not is irrelevant, Conrad has done no wrong and is keeping Bobby out. Bobby will only get in now if Conrad gets a suspension, Injury or makes too many ACTUAL howlers, not made up or exaggerated ones.

Another point pertinent to the thread. We moan like mad that we don't "develop our own" yet all we ever want is proven this and proven that. Perhaps given time JD can see us up. Perhaps not. Only time will tell.

Can you name who’s making out Logan is making mistakes recently ? People are definitely doing that but it’s not me, just to be clear.

I think he’s drastically improved recently and I don’t currently think he deserves to be dropped actually, I was just making the point those who think we should chuck our best goalkeeper back in isn’t a ridiculous idea.
Last edited by Conker on Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:57 am

That’s the ridiculous bias some have on here, I understand it and they genuinely cannot help it but all logic goes out the window where it’s ‘one of ours’ be that a player or manager.

I try not to let my love and support of Mansfield get in the way of those sort opinions, but I’m probably in the minority.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:57 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:Hopefully Darrell Clarke will become available after the weekend.

Priceless.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:37 am

I don’t understand why some would want Clarke here as manager, given his current situation with Walsall. JR’s last sacking and appointment was puzzling to say the least, to appoint Clarke, in the event of him getting the push at Walsall would be beyond belief.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:45 am

bellwhiff wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:Hopefully Darrell Clarke will become available after the weekend.

Priceless.

Not sacked yet Bellwhiff, but Jim Bentley has left Morecambe.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:48 am

Amber Andy wrote:I don’t understand why some would want Clarke here as manager, given his current situation with Walsall. JR’s last sacking and appointment was puzzling to say the least, to appoint Clarke, in the event of him getting the push at Walsall would be beyond belief.

So would hiring the YT coach and saying that top 3 is the expectation.

I would like Clarke for all the reasons I've posted above. I'm not retyping it. It's my opinion.

Walsall were rank bad on Saturday, but that doesn't mean Clarke is a written off manager.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:43 pm

Amber Andy wrote:I don’t understand why some would want Clarke here as manager, given his current situation with Walsall. JR’s last sacking and appointment was puzzling to say the least, to appoint Clarke, in the event of him getting the push at Walsall would be beyond belief.

I would like Clarke for all the reasons I've posted above. I'm not retyping it. It's my opinion.

Walsall were rank bad on Saturday, but that doesn't mean Clarke is a written off manager.
Not my expectation avc. As I have pointed out on several threads the best we can expect this season is mid table obscurity.

I simply think employing a manager who is performing worse than our current one in the same league would be bizarre.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:46 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

Not my expectation avc. As I have pointed out on several threads the best we can expect this season is mid table obscurity.

I simply think employing a manager who is performing worse than our current one in the same league would be bizarre.

It's not as black and white as that though is it. Is Solskjaer a better manager than Pochettino/Wilder/Nuno/Dyche because they're higher in the table? Are there 23 better managers than Jim Bentley in League Two because Morecambe are bottom of the league?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:56 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

It's not as black and white as that though is it. Is Solskjaer a better manager than Pochettino/Wilder/Nuno/Dyche because they're higher in the table? Are there 23 better managers than Jim Bentley in League Two because Morecambe are bottom of the league?
It would be an incredibly brave decision for JR to sack JD and appoint DC.

If it didn’t work out, I dread to think what the reaction from the fans would be.

As for Jim Bentley it seems he has resigned and is joining AFC Fylde.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum