{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

New Manager?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New Manager?

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:15 am

Rob wrote:As for abuse, I think you mean disagreement!

Rob wrote:Clowns quiet tonight, maybe they have fallen over their clown shoes or broken down in their clown car

This is what I meant by abuse Rob. You have frequently called other fans "Clowns" on here just because they have a different opinion to yourself about whether to replace the manager.

There's only one person that deserves to be called "a Clown" on here and that's Coco The Clown who was a real drinking buddy of Hasloan and who took over from your mate, Keith Curle, as manager. :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:47 am

Hoisted by one's own petard

Rinsed.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:54 am

bellwhiff wrote:Hoisted by one's own petard

Rinsed.

True belly, I was called vindictive by someone last week because of a difference of opinion.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:53 pm

Sneag wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Sneag, Curle didn't have his team sold out from under him by Haslam. They all left as their contracts were up and none of them wanted to sign and play under Curle again.

I believe that he is the worst manager we have ever had because of the players he inherited and his total and abject failure to achieve anything with them. Spent a fortune and achieved nothing.

And yes, I am including Russell and McEwan in that analysis. I might give you Stuart Boam though but he's forgiven for being such a legend.

So do you seriously think Haslam was ever going to stump up the money required to get those players to sign new contracts?

We've had loads of managers worse than Curle, lets not let his arrogant prickery cloud our judgement.

He's made a pretty good career out managing clubs at this level, a lot of other managers I've seen come & go at Stags have barely landed another gig after leaving us.

Seem to think that several contracts were offered, but on the sort of wage a big issue seller would think twice about.

Least that's my recollection of it, though it might be last night's ale that's blocking my memory synapses from working! ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:17 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Rob wrote:As for abuse, I think you mean disagreement!

Rob wrote:Clowns quiet tonight, maybe they have fallen over their clown shoes or broken down in their clown car

This is what I meant by abuse Rob. You have frequently called other fans "Clowns" on here just because they have a different opinion to yourself about whether to replace the manager.

There's only one person that deserves to be called "a Clown" on here and that's Coco The Clown who was a real drinking buddy of Hasloan and who took over from your mate, Keith Curle, as manager. :lol:

If you think me calling those who abuse our manager clowns, often with vile, disgusting language, is abuse then I do think you need to get out just that little bit more Darren :lol: Curle was a mate of Haslam, you know it, I know it, we all know it. They had a fall out, as obnoxious, odious individuals like them would. Palmer was also a clown, but not in the same ball park as Curle. Palmer was a rubbish manager, but had a streak of decency that Curle just doesn't have. Your love for Curle baffles me hugely, always has, he was utter, utter garbage and a man most of the players truly loathed. His managerial record is truly lowest of the low.

I will continue to defend managers of our club, I will continue to repeat that you get nowhere by sacking a manager after 8 games as some continue to advocate. You wanted DF sacked after 8 games, just utterly ridiculous, just as wanting JD sacked after 8 games is ridiculous. I won't get bored of saying you get nowhere by sacking a manager every few months, success is built on stability not on listening to the inane ramblings of the impatient.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:02 am

Rob claiming Carlton Palmer had a 'streak of decency'. :shock:

Yes, that very same man who, while footballs were being kicked over the Bishop Street Stand by our loyal, boycotting supporters - was live on national TV claiming our fans were delusional and that Keith Haslam was the saviour of our club.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:08 am

Rob wrote: Curle baffles me hugely, always has, he was utter, utter garbage and a man most of the players truly loathed. His managerial record is truly lowest of the low.

He had a 40% win rate at Stags.

For perspective, that's a 3% better record than Steve Parkin, 5% better than Bill Dearden, 7% better than Ian Greaves and 9% better than Adam Murray.

To say his record is the 'lowest of the low' is yet more cack from you.
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:28 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Random Hero » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:44 am

Martin Shaw wrote:managerial records here:

https://stagsnet.net/vintage/reports/ma ... ecords.htm

Thanks Martin
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:00 pm

Rob wrote:If you think me calling those who abuse our manager clowns, often with vile, disgusting language, is abuse then I do think you need to get out just that little bit more Darren :lol:

Rob - I cannot remember many fans on here using vile and disgusting language about David Flitcroft or John Dempster. You have been calling other fans "Clowns" just because you disagree with them which amounts to abuse in my book.

I also think you will also struggle to find anything I posted which advocated sacking DF after 8 games. He was under performing at the start of last season and blew promotion two seasons running but I never suggested he should be sacked. I would have kept him on this season in the same way as I would have kept faith with Keith Curle because you do not sack a manager who has made the play offs.

Anyway, just to cheer you up a little more, I'll list the top win rates for Mansfield managers which includes your favourites, Steve Evans, Keith Curle and Paul Cox, in the top 12. :lol:

(P.S. We'll ignore the fact that David Holdsworth is 11th!)

[b]Manager Win-Ratio[/b]

Freddie Steele 50.9%
Paul Cox 48.4%
Harry Martin 48.0%
Dave Smith 46.8%
Steve Evans 45.3%
Peter Morris 45.2%
Tommy Cummings 43.4%
Raich Carter 43.2%
Charlie Mitten 43.1%
Jack Hickling 42.6%
David Holdsworth 41.7%
Keith Curle 40.5%
George Jobey 40.0%
Harry Parkes 39.7%
Harry Wightman 38.9%
Steve Parkin 37.8%
Stan Mercer 36.2%
Stuart Watkiss 35.7%
Tommy Eggleston 35.5%
Danny Williams 34.9%
Billy Dearden 34.2%
Duncan Russell 33.3%
Ian Greaves 33.2%
George Foster 32.8%
Mick Jones 32.6%
Andy King 32.2%
Stuart Boam 31.9%
Adam Murray 31.9%
Billy McEwan 31.8%
Roy Goodall 31.8%
Jack Poole 31.7%
Carlton Palmer 31.0%
Paul Holland 30.8%
Peter Shirtliff 30.5%
Jock Basford 27.5%
Sam Weaver 27.4%
Billy Bingham 26.7%
Charles Bell 25.0%
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:20 pm

Flitcroft comes in with 38.2%. Not bad, but not as good as Curle. :D

Surprised to see he was on 50% at Swindon yet they seemed to be glad to get shot of him. Odd one that.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:53 am

Rob wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I don't understand the logic of Rob abusing other fans on here for them agreeing with DF being sacked and then saying that he agreed with Keith Curle being sacked after he had taken the Stags to the League 2 Play Off Final the previous season. It does not make sense. Rob was also always very critical of Paul Cox who won the National League.

Liam Lawrence spoke well about Keith Curle on the Undr The Cosh Podcast (listen from 45m onwards).

https://audioboom.com/posts/6972780-ep- ... -say-sorry

It's not hard to understand, Curle was a mate of Haslam, he sat in the West Stand when SW was manager waiting for him to be sacked and lastly he relegated us from League 1 with a strong squad that was about 17th around Christmas time. Not hard to understand. I was critical of Cox's style of football when we were back in the league, I was NOT critical of him when we were in the Conference. I was also critical of DF, many times, which you seem to forget.

As for abuse, I think you mean disagreement!

Was Curle a mate of Haslam? Considering Curle was accused of bullying a youth teamer and sacked because of it, which later Curle contested in the court and won. I'd say they weren't. I'd say Curle was promised x and was delivered 0.

Just because a manager joins a side doesn't mean they have to be best mates with the chairman beforehand.

Curle joined 3rd December 2002. We were rock bottom and had already shipped 50 goals and suffered our 13th defeat. I know how bad Haslam was but come on, anyone's job would be on the line with a run like that. We needed a new defender(s) and a new manager. Haslam took the cheap option and signed one that did both.

Although, I was 14 years old at the time so not in tune with the "politics" of it all. Now Carlton Palmer was a mate of Haslam, that much was obvious, he also played for England if you didn't know.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 537681.stm that's where I got the info around circles appointment and watkiss' sacking.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:37 pm

Phil Parkinson to be named Sunderland manager tomorrow it seems. Not sure he would’ve been interested in us after all.

EDIT - confirmed.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:24 am

Phil Parkinson at sunderland... brilliant for him and them
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:04 pm

Rob wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I don't understand the logic of Rob abusing other fans on here for them agreeing with DF being sacked and then saying that he agreed with Keith Curle being sacked after he had taken the Stags to the League 2 Play Off Final the previous season. It does not make sense. Rob was also always very critical of Paul Cox who won the National League.

Liam Lawrence spoke well about Keith Curle on the Undr The Cosh Podcast (listen from 45m onwards).

https://audioboom.com/posts/6972780-ep- ... -say-sorry

It's not hard to understand, Curle was a mate of Haslam, he sat in the West Stand when SW was manager waiting for him to be sacked and lastly he relegated us from League 1 with a strong squad that was about 17th around Christmas time. Not hard to understand. I was critical of Cox's style of football when we were back in the league, I was NOT critical of him when we were in the Conference. I was also critical of DF, many times, which you seem to forget.

As for abuse, I think you mean disagreement!

Tbf, it's rare that i find myself disagreeing with Rob - usually only when he posts! :P :lol:

Personally, i don't remember the squad being that strong when we went up to L1 - we still had our golden youth era, but we'd lost Greenacre, Kelly, Murray, Piper, Sir Les, Barratt.....most of which were influential players at the time. As i recall, replacing them with Lever, Moore & Pops was a bit like substituting sirloin with stewing steak ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:53 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Rob wrote:If you think me calling those who abuse our manager clowns, often with vile, disgusting language, is abuse then I do think you need to get out just that little bit more Darren :lol:

Rob - I cannot remember many fans on here using vile and disgusting language about David Flitcroft or John Dempster. You have been calling other fans "Clowns" just because you disagree with them which amounts to abuse in my book.

I also think you will also struggle to find anything I posted which advocated sacking DF after 8 games. He was under performing at the start of last season and blew promotion two seasons running but I never suggested he should be sacked. I would have kept him on this season in the same way as I would have kept faith with Keith Curle because you do not sack a manager who has made the play offs.

Anyway, just to cheer you up a little more, I'll list the top win rates for Mansfield managers which includes your favourites, Steve Evans, Keith Curle and Paul Cox, in the top 12. :lol:

(P.S. We'll ignore the fact that David Holdsworth is 11th!)

[b]Manager Win-Ratio[/b]

Freddie Steele 50.9%
Paul Cox 48.4%
Harry Martin 48.0%
Dave Smith 46.8%
Steve Evans 45.3%
Peter Morris 45.2%
Tommy Cummings 43.4%
Raich Carter 43.2%
Charlie Mitten 43.1%
Jack Hickling 42.6%
David Holdsworth 41.7%
Keith Curle 40.5%
George Jobey 40.0%
Harry Parkes 39.7%
Harry Wightman 38.9%
Steve Parkin 37.8%
Stan Mercer 36.2%
Stuart Watkiss 35.7%
Tommy Eggleston 35.5%
Danny Williams 34.9%
Billy Dearden 34.2%
Duncan Russell 33.3%
Ian Greaves 33.2%
George Foster 32.8%
Mick Jones 32.6%
Andy King 32.2%
Stuart Boam 31.9%
Adam Murray 31.9%
Billy McEwan 31.8%
Roy Goodall 31.8%
Jack Poole 31.7%
Carlton Palmer 31.0%
Paul Holland 30.8%
Peter Shirtliff 30.5%
Jock Basford 27.5%
Sam Weaver 27.4%
Billy Bingham 26.7%
Charles Bell 25.0%

You’re kidding ?
Flip Flip ?
Drunken Brussel ?

The ire shown towards some on here has been well documented.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:07 am

Robs just got a very 'black and white' view of the world.

No room for nuances or refinement.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:47 am

Adam Barratt has just relinquished the caretaker manager's job at Millwall. He is staying on as first team coach under the new manager but will that work?

Barratt has loads of experience at our level and is an ex stag who knows how to defend. I feel that it is now only a matter of time before Mr Dempster is relieved of his position but he won't go until the right man is lined up.

Could that man be Mr Barratt and who would be happy with his appointment if he comes?
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:49 am

Paul Cox has been appointed manager at Kettering. Is t that where Dempster and Glover are from?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:55 am

Unfortunately flitcroft should still have been sacked irrespective of where we are now, he bottled it when it mattered twice over - he had about 5 attempts last season!

The dempster appointment was absolutely abysmal and made all the more mysterious given his previous appointment of Adam Murray.

It’s a sad state of affairs all round.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:04 pm

adamstag wrote:Unfortunately flitcroft should still have been sacked irrespective of where we are now, he bottled it when it mattered twice over - he had about 5 attempts last season!

The dempster appointment was absolutely abysmal and made all the more mysterious given his previous appointment of Adam Murray.

I think the appointment of Dempster was based on his remit being working with the current squad of players and adding a few on top, plus he had a good record with the youth and obviously Hymas and co want some money back from the investment into the youth team. An appointment from outside the club would've probably wanted to get rid of a majority of the squad and to want his own war chest to build again, we've been burnt twice doing that and achieved nowt so
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:13 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
adamstag wrote:Unfortunately flitcroft should still have been sacked irrespective of where we are now, he bottled it when it mattered twice over - he had about 5 attempts last season!

I think the appointment of Dempster was based on his remit being working with the current squad of players and adding a few on top, plus he had a good record with the youth and obviously Hymas and co want some money back from the investment into the youth team. An appointment from outside the club would've probably wanted to get rid of a majority of the squad and to want his own war chest to build again, we've been burnt twice doing that and achieved nowt so

Yes and no.

Of course a manager would always want a few new players but any savvy manager would realise we were so so close to going up until we bottled it, we’ve still a squad that should be up there.

It should have been made clear to any new manager that they’d need to work with most of what they’d got - which shouldn’t have been a struggle given the players.

I suppose all ifs buts and maybes really
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:25 pm

Hopefully Darrell Clarke will become available after the weekend.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:28 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Hopefully Darrell Clarke will become available after the weekend.

doing a cracking job ain't he
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:32 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Hopefully Darrell Clarke will become available after the weekend.

And what would he do here
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum