{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:39 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Murray was negative because he didn't have squad good enough to play how he wanted them to. Radford should of given him the budget to build something. He started off really well and should have been backed after a bright start but never was.

The players he scouted and picked were great finds...benning, Pearce, Rhys Bennett, Thomas, CJ, Blair.... the other players he needed to add to the likes of this lot etc he couldn't afford and had to opt for the players like westcarr and Nicky hunt, Beardsley, chapman etc.

We had stagnated under Murray, no doubt about it. You can put that down to his squad all you like, but there was a notable shift in his mindset after we got stung in the last minute against Bristol Rovers at home I think it was (could have been someone else).

Also, put yourself in Radfords shoes at that time and forget everything we know now... who would you prefer to spend your money? An unproven manager in Murray who had us in the bottom half going nowhere for whatever reason...or a manager in Evans who whether you like it or not, had a proven track record at the time of going in to clubs, spending a big budget but getting promotions? It was literally a no brainer for Radford who had clearly decided he wanted to make a real go of it.
Yes people don’t like Evans now and it’s not worked out for him since he left us (and I think we’d have had a good chance of going up if he stayed til the end of the season) but he had huge success at Crawley, Rotherham, and did a decent job at Leeds to be fair. So no, at the time Radford should not have given the big budget to Murray even though it didn’t pan out as we would have hoped.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:24 pm

Bradders wrote:
Sneag wrote:
It's worth remembering too the DFs only success as a manager, came at a club that had a spending model that took them to oblivion.

At the time that Flitcroft took over, the side wasn't full of duds (as people like to make out). They were on target for promotion and just needed helping over the line. It hardly seemed possible for them to not even make the playoffs. They'd just had a run of five wins and a draw in seven matches, and there was nothing to indicate that a sudden loss of form was on the cards. But then Flitcroft took over to finish the job, and we drew three and lost four in the next seven games. Calling them "duds" infers that they were rubbish all the time, when in fact Flitcroft turned them from winners to duds, and Evans had nothing to do with that.

I concur. There's some serious selective memories on this thread. Like that tough run in, it had some hard games in it for sure, but it had some absolute gimmies in it too thst we failed to win.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:05 pm

Bradders wrote:
Sneag wrote:
It's worth remembering too the DFs only success as a manager, came at a club that had a spending model that took them to oblivion.

At the time that Flitcroft took over, the side wasn't full of duds (as people like to make out). They were on target for promotion and just needed helping over the line. It hardly seemed possible for them to not even make the playoffs. They'd just had a run of five wins and a draw in seven matches, and there was nothing to indicate that a sudden loss of form was on the cards. But then Flitcroft took over to finish the job, and we drew three and lost four in the next seven games. Calling them "duds" infers that they were rubbish all the time, when in fact Flitcroft turned them from winners to duds, and Evans had nothing to do with that.

What!?! Evans had a transfer window and managed 12th, he had a 2nd and 3d transfer window then bailed and ended up ruining 3 sides who were on target for play offs or better. Despite us failing to get promoted last term we still had 4 players in the team of the year, 3 of them were Murray's signings. Say whatever you want. After his 1st transfer window David Flitcroft outperformed Steve Evans on nearly every metric you could measure, his signings actually improved the team (don't forget Evans had to drop his signings in favour of Murray's because his signings weren't performing) we had a good increase in positivity and attendance because of the football played, and the results.this whilst still having some of Evans' expensive flops. At least Murray's flops were cheap (in comparison).

Talk about selective memories!
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:50 pm

Last 12 league games under Evans W8 D3 L1

First 12 League games under Flitcroft W2 D6 L4

Of those 12 games 4 were against teams in the promotion mix 8 were against teams that a serious promotion contender would reasonably expect to win.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:53 pm

Sneag wrote:Last 12 league games under Evans W8 D3 L1

Of those 12 games 4 were against teams in the promotion mix 8 were against teams that a serious promotion contender would reasonably expect to win.

You simply cannot compare a managers last 12 games to a new managers first 12. That’s like comparing Klopps first and last 12 games. Better to compare Flitcrofts last 12........and yes it’s still utter rubbish :lol:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:38 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:

You simply cannot compare a managers last 12 games to a new managers first 12. That’s like comparing Klopps first and last 12 games. Better to compare Flitcrofts last 12........and yes it’s still utter rubbish :lol:

But it is a better comparison as it Was the same players on the same type of run with what should have been the same confidence levels. One followed immediately on from the other with no gap or interruptions apart from the abandonment by the manager. I don't think you could have a better set of circumstances to compare as other teams within the division also had static circumstances.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:43 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

But it is a better comparison as it Was the same players on the same type of run with what should have been the same confidence levels. One followed immediately on from the other with no gap or interruptions apart from the abandonment by the manager. I don't think you could have a better set of circumstances to compare as other teams within the division also had static circumstances.

There was much more pressure on the players (and manager for that matter ), inthe last 12 games of last season as they were going for promotion. It's the end of a season when the pressure builds not at the start. For that reason I don't think it is a sound comparison.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:46 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

There was much more pressure on the players (and manager for that matter ), inthe last 12 games of last season as they were going for promotion. It's the end of a season when the pressure builds not at the start. For that reason I don't think it is a sound comparison.

I think we are taking about different comparisons. I am taking about Evans last 12 compared to Flitcrofts first 12 which were consecutive to each other.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:55 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

I think we are taking about different comparisons. I am taking about Evans last 12 compared to Flitcrofts first 12 which were consecutive to each other.

Yes, it seems a reasonable comparison when people are talking about "Evans' duds", considering that they are the same players with only a manager change.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:29 pm

Comparing DF’s last 12 games against JD’s first twelve league games.

DF W3 D5 L4
JD W3 D4 L5

Not much different with basically same players.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:50 pm

Every thread, where ever it starts, ends up in talking about Flitcrofts record.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:30 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:Sandy as stated above, the owners have again set the bar for promotion, their words no mine

That’s std required, it’s far far from that so what do expect the fans to think?

these are the words of both the chairman & CEO & still is after reading her Chad blog thing

Yes Yorky they have. Just like they did last year but we were still let down from County away onwards. That performance was as bad as anything I've seen this season and it didn't get much better apart from the odd game.

So I will repeat, Mr Dempster didn't inherit a team who were playing football of a quality to gain promotion. DF was correctly sacked and we all need to pull together to try and get the team going again. A toxic atmosphere at home will only defeat that objective so pick your bottom lips up and let's show the world what being from Mansfield really means and get moving in the right direction together not going backwards being divided.

Good post . Well said
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:56 pm

Guys Guys Guys

Stop arguing about its buts n maybe we didnt get promoted n that's it full stop....

By you all saying Evan's did this n DF did that or didn't it doesn't matter one jot....

You could blame Conrad for not catching the ball.in the 90th minute against .Colchester
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:22 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

Yes we are, apologies. (Maybe I need to read the whole thread).
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:20 am

Flitcroft and Evans both failed spectacularly to get us promoted. This is all in the past and however much you debate it nothing will change.
Can we please try to concentrate on this current season?
I know it has been an awful start but hopefully we can start pulling away from the bottom end of the table. A couple of wins and things may look much better for us and the squad is virtually back to full strength which is great news.
Constantly going over the same old arguments from the same posters is frankly boring and virtually every thread is being high jacked by this old chestnut.
Hoping for a win today :coys:
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:46 am

Getting boring now.

Admin, can you pull the plug on this, everything that needed saying and some that didn't, has been said.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:53 am

oldweststander wrote:Getting boring now.

Admin, can you pull the plug on this, everything that needed saying and some that didn't, has been said.

Who made you the boredom police? :lol:
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:44 pm

If I am not mistaken the season is not over.We have won the last two games.If we can carry on playing this way then we will surely start moving up the table.We can still get promoted as there isn't an outstanding team in the league from what I have seen.The next 6 matches will give the doubters more idea where we will end up at the end of the season.Keep the faith we will go up I feel sure.COYS.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:54 pm

part time pete wrote:Comparing DF’s last 12 games against JD’s first twelve league games.

DF W3 D5 L4
JD W3 D4 L5

JD is now 4 points behind what DF did last season. DF drew 14th game 1-1 against Franchise FC.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:22 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
part time pete wrote:Comparing DF’s last 12 games against JD’s first twelve league games.

DF W3 D5 L4
JD W3 D4 L5

JD is now 4 points behind what DF did last season. DF drew 14th game 1-1 against Franchise FC.

We need to win next four league games to be on same points as DF’s team last season after 17 games.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:55 am

Sneag wrote:
oldweststander wrote:Getting boring now.

Who made you the boredom police? :lol:

Not the boredom police, just fed up of this now pointless thread.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:54 pm

It’s quite simple, don’t click on the thread then if you don’t like it.
BigGuy
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:42 pm

BigGuy wrote:It’s quite simple, don’t click on the thread then if you don’t like it.

Words of wisdom. Set
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum