{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

New Manager?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New Manager?

Postby Sneag » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:59 pm

Yeah we get it Rob, you wouldn't sack anyone (apart from Keith Curle).

4 points off 2nd and losing in the playoff again, facing a 3rd year in the 3rd division would be a massive failure for a club of that size.
Yeah they have empty seats, they also have a capacity double the size of the next biggest in that division. To average over 30,000 after the last few years their fans have had is phenomenal.

They have new owners at the club, he was always on borrowed time. He's also just been paid a hefty wedge to piss off, so I wouldn't go feeling too sorry for him.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:00 am

Football is a results based business.

The Radfords have worked hard to remove the dark grey cloud of Haslam that has hung over us for the past few seasons.
The crowds having started to come back, we are starting to be known as a family club and the atmosphere on the whole has been positive.
This season they are on the verge of loosing all of this
The appointment of JD started that slippery slope, and not acting on what has been a terrible to start to the season is only going to result in all that hard work being lost.
JD needs to go, and go quick. Back to the youth where he thrived and a new manager brought in.

Can someone please explain why we should keep him, because at the moment I cannot see one reason why?
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:25 am

Rob always blames the fans and not the board/owners, I dunno why.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:08 pm

Sneag wrote:Yeah we get it Rob, you wouldn't sack anyone (apart from Keith Curle).

4 points off 2nd and losing in the playoff again, facing a 3rd year in the 3rd division would be a massive failure for a club of that size.
Yeah they have empty seats, they also have a capacity double the size of the next biggest in that division. To average over 30,000 after the last few years their fans have had is phenomenal.

They have new owners at the club, he was always on borrowed time. He's also just been paid a hefty wedge to piss off, so I wouldn't go feeling too sorry for him.

I thought the decision to sack Murray and Cox were completely correct, the decision to sack McEwan, Russell and Holdsworth also correct. King and Parkin did a great job under limited resources. Boam and Jones were terrible, Foster very unlucky and deserved better. Greavesie had just about come to a natural end and of course we failed to keep Dearden which was a huge mistake. Watkiss was poorly supported by Haslam and I know I have missed a few others but give me their names and I'll tell you whether I wanted them sacked or not. Truth is, my bottom line is a manager must be given a proper chance, that is not and never will be 8 games. It's just utter stupidity to appoint a manager and give him 8 games. You have now wanted our last two managers sacked after 8-10 games - just stupidity.

Sunderland are just another one of those entitled big clubs who are living off their past. You, as a Sunderland fan, are no doubt celebrating his dismissal, as you did the dismissal of DF. Good for you because as we all know, sacking managers after a few months in charge is the sure fire way to success. It might work out under their new manager but it didn't work out so well for County and Direites, both of whom had a very strong budget, both of whom had three managers in one season, both of whom were relegated.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:25 pm

Sorry, I forgot Curle and Palmer, both entirely correct decisions to sack. So to say I wouldn't sack anyone is laughable, but I guess it suits your argument, whatever the f that might be .....
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:18 pm

Frank Lampard.
No pressure to deliver top 4.
If he fails with a very good squad no problem.
Dempster top 3 or your sacked.
Are we putting far too much pressure on managers and its stopping them doing the best.
Flitcroft knew one draw and he's a hero with contract for 3 more years.
Training at Loughborough st George's. Nights away.
Let's take the pressure off our players and management please from the board.
Every owner wants promotion and they can't say anything different to fans.
Maybe just maybe it would be better if they didn't keep saying it.
I can't think of many owners that talk so much about their club than us. (Hardy was one)
I'd back us if they said we are giving dempster 2 years to get it right.
I'd have backed them more if they'd given flitcroft til January to be in top 3.
I'm a Stags fan I support whoever is playing managing this Saturday and always have and will.

:coys: :coys:
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:27 pm

Rob wrote:
Sneag wrote:Yeah we get it Rob, you wouldn't sack anyone (apart from Keith Curle).

I thought the decision to sack Murray and Cox were completely correct, the decision to sack McEwan, Russell and Holdsworth also correct. King and Parkin did a great job under limited resources. Boam and Jones were terrible, Foster very unlucky and deserved better. Greavesie had just about come to a natural end and of course we failed to keep Dearden which was a huge mistake. Watkiss was poorly supported by Haslam and I know I have missed a few others but give me their names and I'll tell you whether I wanted them sacked or not. Truth is, my bottom line is a manager must be given a proper chance, that is not and never will be 8 games. It's just utter stupidity to appoint a manager and give him 8 games. You have now wanted our last two managers sacked after 8-10 games - just stupidity.

Sunderland are just another one of those entitled big clubs who are living off their past. You, as a Sunderland fan, are no doubt celebrating his dismissal, as you did the dismissal of DF. Good for you because as we all know, sacking managers after a few months in charge is the sure fire way to success. It might work out under their new manager but it didn't work out so well for County and Direites, both of whom had a very strong budget, both of whom had three managers in one season, both of whom were relegated.

Jack Ross had 17 months Rob. I think that’s a pretty fair crack.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:52 am

chip63 wrote:Frank Lampard.
Are we putting far too much pressure on managers and its stopping them doing the best.
I can't think of many owners that talk so much about their club than us. (Hardy was one)
I'm a Stags fan I support whoever is playing managing this Saturday and always have and will.

Like you I will be supporting The Stags, My Team, My Club this Saturday but I keep asking on what grounds and on what you've seen so far do you think John Dempster will succeed if you give him even 4 years? What credentials does he have and on the multi debacles and disappointments so far is your blind loyalty founded? Each week it seems he's going to put right and address the issues people have raised on here previously and that he has seen belatedly.

I can support my club and team but that doesn't mean I have any faith in this disaster of an appointment
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:29 am

Rob wrote:

Curle failed in the playoffs & had that squad sold out from underhim by Haslam. Deserved to be sacked accoring to Rob

Flitcroft failed in the playoffs after being given everything he asked for by the most benign owners this club has ever had. Deserved more time according to Rob.

Sounds logical. You just hated Curle because you liked Watkiss. Watkiss was never up to the manager's job, we got some right spankings on the way to limping over the promotion line. He couldn't organise a defence if his life depended on it and blew what budget he had on Pop Larkin, when what we needed were centre backs.

I hate any manager to get the sack, that means we as a club have failed. JD may have been the wrong pick, but it's too early to be certain of that. What I find worrying from JDs reign is I watch matches & I can't see the game plan.
We've had some poor bosses & some poor teams, but generally you can see what they are trying to do, they just aren't good enough to do it.

I've no opinion on Jack Ross as I've not seen Sunderland in several years (about 5 managers ago), but I would take the word of people who watch them every week over someone basing their opinion purely on stats.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby JLStag » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:33 am

Reading that made my brain hurt
JLStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:42 am

JLStag wrote:

Reading that made my brain hurt

What brain? :D
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:41 am

Sneag, Curle didn't have his team sold out from under him by Haslam. They all left as their contracts were up and none of them wanted to sign and play under Curle again.

I believe that he is the worst manager we have ever had because of the players he inherited and his total and abject failure to achieve anything with them. Spent a fortune and achieved nothing.

And yes, I am including Russell and McEwan in that analysis. I might give you Stuart Boam though but he's forgiven for being such a legend.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:32 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Sneag, Curle didn't have his team sold out from under him by Haslam. They all left as their contracts were up and none of them wanted to sign and play under Curle again.

I believe that he is the worst manager we have ever had because of the players he inherited and his total and abject failure to achieve anything with them. Spent a fortune and achieved nothing.

And yes, I am including Russell and McEwan in that analysis. I might give you Stuart Boam though but he's forgiven for being such a legend.

Indeed, he had the best squad we've had probably ever (when you consider what level many of those players ended up at) and failed to achieve promotion - he also oversaw our relegation the season before and has, of course, pretty much failed everywhere else he has been. Because I genuinely disliked him because of his association with Haslam it is a stick often used to beat me, but one I am well used to. A comparison between Curle and DF is ridiculous, DF inherited some awful players on very high wages, some of whom we have only just got rid of - yes he had a high wage budget but had nowhere near the talent Curle had at his disposal. Yet even with this not once did I call for his head - yes I was happy when he was sacked but I was not posting incessantly on here every time we had a bad result like folk are now. As for DF, as I have said many times I believe it was wrong that he was sacked, but had he stayed and we'd had the start JD has had then it would have been the right time to sack him - it is my view that DF left before he could fully complete the squad transition and we would likely have been up near the top now had he stayed - we'll never know.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:29 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Sneag, Curle didn't have his team sold out from under him by Haslam. They all left as their contracts were up and none of them wanted to sign and play under Curle again.

So do you seriously think Haslam was ever going to stump up the money required to get those players to sign new contracts?

We've had loads of managers worse than Curle, lets not let his arrogant prickery cloud our judgement.

He's made a pretty good career out managing clubs at this level, a lot of other managers I've seen come & go at Stags have barely landed another gig after leaving us.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:00 pm

This.... Absolutely this !!!
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkstag » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:55 pm

The One wrote:
yorkstag wrote:This thread is a bore. I want JD to succeed

Simples. Do not read it.

Says it all - this is a thread devoted to JDS failure. You are a , sad , v vindictive individual.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:24 pm

A thread on a message board is not going to bring him down. His ability, or lack of it will bring him down. Looking at pre-match ticket sales, which are on a steady downturn, means that some have already made up their mind.
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby The One » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:36 pm

yorkstag wrote:
The One wrote:
yorkstag wrote:This thread is a bore. I want JD to succeed

Simples. Do not read it.

Says it all - this is a thread devoted to JDS failure. You are a , sad , v vindictive individual.

Sad, not, just a difference of opinion on a message board. Most agree with me. Would rather be sad than deluded. And you are right he has failed.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:00 am

I don't understand the logic of Rob abusing other fans on here for them agreeing with DF being sacked and then saying that he agreed with Keith Curle being sacked after he had taken the Stags to the League 2 Play Off Final the previous season. It does not make sense. Rob was also always very critical of Paul Cox who won the National League.

Liam Lawrence spoke well about Keith Curle on the Undr The Cosh Podcast (listen from 45m onwards).

https://audioboom.com/posts/6972780-ep- ... -say-sorry
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:01 am

Great listen , enjoyed that
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Big yella » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:00 pm

CassellsCap wrote:Great listen , enjoyed that

Me too.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:27 pm

It’s a good podcast in general, always a good laugh.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:39 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I don't understand the logic of Rob abusing other fans on here for them agreeing with DF being sacked and then saying that he agreed with Keith Curle being sacked after he had taken the Stags to the League 2 Play Off Final the previous season. It does not make sense. Rob was also always very critical of Paul Cox who won the National League.

Liam Lawrence spoke well about Keith Curle on the Undr The Cosh Podcast (listen from 45m onwards).

https://audioboom.com/posts/6972780-ep- ... -say-sorry

It's not hard to understand, Curle was a mate of Haslam, he sat in the West Stand when SW was manager waiting for him to be sacked and lastly he relegated us from League 1 with a strong squad that was about 17th around Christmas time. Not hard to understand. I was critical of Cox's style of football when we were back in the league, I was NOT critical of him when we were in the Conference. I was also critical of DF, many times, which you seem to forget.

As for abuse, I think you mean disagreement!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Grendon Stag » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:55 pm

bigalstag wrote:A thread on a message board is not going to bring him down. His ability, or lack of it will bring him down. Looking at pre-match ticket sales, which are on a steady downturn, means that some have already made up their mind.

Well then ticket sales are still holding strong..I guess the fans have definitely made their minds up
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:57 pm

Mr Flitcroft was on Soccer AM this morning running the 'You Know The Drill' for Bullard at Bolton.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum