{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

New Manager?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New Manager?

Postby oldweststander » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:17 pm

Forget promotion, forget play offs, to get into the play offs from the current position would require championship contender form, a 2pts per game average, can you see it?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:36 pm

Get in new manager that is a draw for players. Get rid of dead wood. Bring in players that arent getting a game and give them game time. Start building for next season
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:41 pm

daddycool wrote:Flynn from Newport would be a good fit .IMO

Signed a new three year deal today.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:56 pm

Really strange the sense of apathy that appears to be surrounding the club at the moment, either the fans have got it wrong or the board have!
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:08 pm

stag324 wrote:I guess a manager who leaves two top class strikers on the bench that would into any 2nd division team, a manager who plays players out of position, a manager who needs help from the players to say how training should go, a manager who team hasn't scored from 57 corners, and a manager who has turned us into relegation candidates deserves to keep his job.

Good post. A board who was seriously targeting promotion would not put up with this situation.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:24 pm

Vice President wrote:
stag324 wrote:I guess a manager who leaves two top class strikers on the bench that would into any 2nd division team, a manager who plays players out of position, a manager who needs help from the players to say how training should go, a manager who team hasn't scored from 57 corners, and a manager who has turned us into relegation candidates deserves to keep his job.

Good post. A board who was seriously targeting promotion would not put up with this situation.

Maynard and cook had both been injured.
Injuries forcing players out of positions.
Think we became a relegation side in the last 15 games last season.
Think there is a lot more wrong than just the manager.
I don't know when players contracts end but is that a factor?
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:06 pm

Neil Harris has resigned as Millwall manager.

Sol Campbell has apparently applied for the Southend job.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:09 pm

Would take Harris but doubt would move up north and come to League Two.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:27 pm

marker_mtfc95 wrote:Would take Harris but doubt would move up north and come to League Two.

No chance he would drop to league two. He would get a job easily in the championship/league one
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby tuopolfpilf » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:59 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Neil Harris has resigned as Millwall manager.

Sol Campbell has apparently applied for the Southend job.
Henrik Laarson favourite for Southend job

Steve Parkin be my 1st choice, maybe Colin Calderwood as a long shot?
tuopolfpilf
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:24 am

chip63 wrote:
Vice President wrote:

Maynard and cook had both been injured.
Injuries forcing players out of positions.
Think we became a relegation side in the last 15 games last season.
Think there is a lot more wrong than just the manager.

I think a factor is a few like Mellis who are gifted and technically very good players for this league but don't run through brick walls for their team mates and don't turn up when things go wrong.... Now Flitcroft got these lads going but couldn't sustain it for a whole season.

I would have loved to seen DF's retained list.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:18 am

chip63 wrote:
Vice President wrote:

Maynard and cook had both been injured. --- Are the players fit enough? Do they want to play for the manager?
Injuries forcing players out of positions. ---- this has happened from day 1. he tries to build the team around CJ
Think we became a relegation side in the last 15 games last season. - That is why we changed the manager to inspire them
Think there is a lot more wrong than just the manager. ---- The buck stops with him
----This is the easier answer, swap players

We need a leader on the pitch. I remember Ian Greaves saying he would build a team around George Foster and he did.

When I hear our manager in, what you must say are always easy interviews, he appears to have no passion or desire.
As a fan I want to hear that and see it on the park.
I want to see us play a stye of football that suits our players and this squad should be about playing it on the ground.
Maynard came he as he thought we played football on the ground, which suits him but at the moment it is route one.\

Also, which I find a crying shame, I cannot find any positives to say about the manager or team for this season, not one.
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:28 pm

oldweststander wrote:Forget promotion, forget play offs, to get into the play offs from the current position would require championship contender form, a 2pts per game average, can you see it?

Without trying to sound derogatory to you or JD, OWS, playoffs was never down on my list after his appointment in summer. I know expectations were high after missing promotion after last season, but the odds were never even close to be worth a punt imo. I'm going to stick with my original prediction: mid-table indifference, 10th - 16th sort of area :(

Sounds horrible to be so complacent about it, but i don't want JD to move over until there is a bonafide decent manager waiting to grab the helm. Even then i think he'll need at probably 2 seasons to start to achieve his best, which may not happen once expectations ratchet up again
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby No Breaks Allowed » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:12 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
oldweststander wrote:Forget promotion, forget play offs, to get into the play offs from the current position would require championship contender form, a 2pts per game average, can you see it?

Without trying to sound derogatory to you or JD, OWS, playoffs was never down on my list after his appointment in summer. I know expectations were high after missing promotion after last season, but the odds were never even close to be worth a punt imo. I'm going to stick with my original prediction: mid-table indifference, 10th - 16th sort of area :(

Sounds horrible to be so complacent about it, but i don't want JD to move over until there is a bonafide decent manager waiting to grab the helm. Even then i think he'll need at probably 2 seasons to start to achieve his best, which may not happen once expectations ratchet up again

Few managers available at minute?
Phil Parkinson
Gary Rowett
Derek Adams
No Breaks Allowed
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:33 pm

Assuming they want to come here & won't ask for a huge rebuild budget of course, NBA ;)

Perhaps we have already covertly contacted one or more of them behind the scenes?
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby No Breaks Allowed » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:37 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:Assuming they want to come here & won't ask for a huge rebuild budget of course, NBA ;)

Perhaps we have already covertly contacted one or more of them behind the scenes?

Think it would depend on, if a new manager came in and still got us promoted. We’d strengthen in January regardless. If that did happen, might not be as big a rebuild next summer?
No Breaks Allowed
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:53 pm

Even if the manager's name is Moses i still wouldn't expect promotion :lol:

The players would need time to get fit, focus their minds and adapt to a new style - chances are it'd take too long than to get anything more than a faint sniff at playoffs potentially (imo)
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:00 pm

Just had a quick look for curiosity purposes where we were when Evans took over from Murray. We were 18th in the league but bizarrely only three points of the play-offs. As we know, we are currently 19th and nine points off the play-offs.

That was the season when Exeter went on to make the play-offs. At that stage they were 23rd in the table, six points from the play-offs.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:14 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Just had a quick look for curiosity purposes where we were when Evans took over from Murray. We were 18th in the league but bizarrely only three points of the play-offs. As we know, we are currently 19th and nine points off the play-offs.

That was the season when Exeter went on to make the play-offs. At that stage they were 23rd in the table, six points from the play-offs.

But Exeter had Paul Tisdale and, like him or loathe him, we had SE both good managers and you'd have confidence they would come good. Sorry but I don't have that with JD.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:18 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Just had a quick look for curiosity purposes where we were when Evans took over from Murray. We were 18th in the league but bizarrely only three points of the play-offs. As we know, we are currently 19th and nine points off the play-offs.

But Exeter had Paul Tisdale and, like him or loathe him, we had SE both good managers and you'd have confidence they would come good. Sorry but I don't have that with JD.

Evans couldn't even manage it even though he's a 'serial promotion winner' and a 'good manager'
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:49 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:

SE managed to get us up to a lofty 12th from 18th in November,Then bailed the next season, to a side in or around league 1 play offs and blew them. Is that the hallmarks of a good manager?

Steve Evans gained points by berating the referees, something the powers that be are tackling.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:51 pm

Think I'm gonna be happier when the title of this thread exchanges the ? for a !
I'm not sure even defeat tomorrow will result in that .
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:36 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:

Evans couldn't even manage it even though he's a 'serial promotion winner' and a 'good manager'

I'd have Evans back in a heartbeat. I actually liked him. He's a pantomime villain.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:56 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:

Evans couldn't even manage it even though he's a 'serial promotion winner' and a 'good manager'[/quote
I'd have Evans back in a heartbeat. I actually liked him. He's a pantomime villain.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:58 pm

CassellsCap wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:

Evans couldn't even manage it even though he's a 'serial promotion winner' and a 'good manager'[/quote.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum