{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stags v scunny scorefred by the spanish virgin

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Stags v scunny scorefred by the spanish virgin

Postby Conker » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:27 am

I know Mal was rubbish when he came on but he's offered a million times more what CJ has this season.

Poor Khan too, he's clearly the man that's got the quality for our midfield but he cannot even get on the pitch.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:40 am

Conker wrote:I know Mal was rubbish when he came on but he's offered a million times more what CJ has this season.

Poor Khan too, he's clearly the man that's got the quality for our midfield but he cannot even get on the pitch.

Echo this about Khan Conker but clearly there's something missing we aren't seeing as DF didnt play him and JD subs him every time when he does
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:42 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:
Conker wrote:I know Mal was rubbish when he came on but he's offered a million times more what CJ has this season.

Echo this about Khan Conker but clearly there's something missing we aren't seeing as DF didnt play him and JD subs him every time when he does

He was playing him at home beforehand though.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:53 am

Conker wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:

He was playing him at home beforehand though.

And we never won a game as he's lightweight and goes missing???
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:05 pm

spanishstag wrote:
Jamie wrote:Spanish stag I think the point your missing is many believe if we adopt that kind of tactical approach going forward, teams with a bit more about them will publish us.

We gave one of the worst L2 sides ive seen for a while the chance to come at us for 15 minutes. Not only that we did it in such a way that had they come back into it we wouldnt have had much left to reply with. Its madness and doesn't give fans the belief he knows what hes doing. Many of us will have seen a lot more L2 football than JD, we've seen this negative approach fail before... We've sat and watched our team throw away countless points in the last decade by adopting exactly that approach.

If you arent going to attack the worst team in the league, when 2 nil up at home, when are we going to attack? We were under no pressure at all until he made the changes. If they had upped their game and started to threaten then yeah maybe protect what we have but that wasnt the case. The 5 minutes before we changed it we started to open then up... its baffling.

If we were direct but effective, like under Cox then fair enough. But this team doesn't want to keep or work the ball. Doesn't support the target man to win 2nd balls and mostly doesn't even deliver good balls forward anyway. Surely keeping the ball is better than sitting back, letting them have it and hoping they dont break us down.

Great we got a win, but the problems haven't gone away and fans are rightly still worried.

I get your point jamie ,but yesterday was a massive game that we had to win ,no matter how especially after the orient game ,i think that we will find the right balance ,but it doesn,t happen overnight ,especially with an injury decimated squad ,all im saying is we need to give him a bit of time

I too understand what Jamie is saying. If we continue to adopt similar tactics of trying to shut up shop in the last quarter of the game it would be wrong.

Yesterday was different in that it was vital we won. It worked ( I get the bit about Scunthorpe being a poor side ), as we protected our two goal advantage. That was the important thing, three much needed points and a clean sheet.

I think on this occasion we should be content with that, and afford JD a bit of slack. I had grave doubts about his appointment, but I feel a little happier now.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:15 pm

CJ has only started 4 league games and he had to come off injured at half time at Newport. He's also been played at right wing back and up front. His best position is attacking down the left and that's when we get the best out of him.

Mal has also not been at his best so far this season which applies to most of the defence.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:01 pm

Scunthorpe Reaction on BBC Radio Humberside. Most of the programme is talking about League 2 - Scunthorpe and Grimsby.

"Mansfield did nothing and created nothing." "Should have been a 0-0." "Paul Hurst has brought in players who are no better than current players." "Hurst has no enthusiasm. Stands on sidelines with arms folded." "Hurst needs to go." "Paul Hurst does not want to be here" "Paul Hurst interview was like the performance - flat, boring and lifeless." "Should have started Kevin van Veen."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07kqkxv

Paul Hurst interview

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07mrkwr
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:48 pm

They way we are performing is just like under Murray and Cox in the football league. Mid table. The difference is, I'd wager the budget has been increased since then. If you remember we tried to break even before Evans was appointed, and even then Evans could only manage mid table.

This time last season we had a similar start (after 7 games we only had 10 points) except 1 of the draws was a loss this season. The difference is we actually looked a good side just couldn't finish our numerous chances. Also we had a new back 3, new midfield and new forward line. This season its been largely the same players and the new lads JD has signed have been the better performers in the games so far. The thing is we know what football this side is capable of. Alot of people are frustrated that we don't seem to want to play that way.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:57 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:

CJ has only started 4 league games and he had to come off injured at half time at Newport. He's also been played at right wing back and up front. His best position is attacking down the left and that's when we get the best out of him.

Mal has also not been at his best so far this season which applies to most of the defence.

CJ has not played much because he’s looked like he’s still in Ibiza.

Remember the end of last season too? Exeter away last season was probably his last proper good performance.

We need a raring to go CJ in the correct position this season desperately, but it’s not wing back or upfront so you need to either make space for him or keep him on the bench.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:30 pm

Conker wrote:

Remember the end of last season too? Exeter away last season was probably his last proper good performance.

We need a raring to go CJ in the correct position this season desperately, but it’s not wing back or upfront so you need to either make space for him or keep him on the bench.

IMO he’s become a bit of a “luxury”. I’m not sure we afford to keep wasting the shirt.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:59 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Conker wrote:

IMO he’s become a bit of a “luxury”. I’m not sure we afford to keep wasting the shirt.

wasting the shirt? he was our second highest scorer last year and played about 4 different positions each game. He also got the assist for Preston's goal yesterday. Yes he's inconsistent, but most players in this league are.

Proper luxury.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:18 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Conker wrote:

He put in a great cross for Preston's goal.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Martian » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:42 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Conker wrote:

He put in a great cross for Preston's goal.

That's his strength isn't it - putting in crosses - if he's not playing in a role where he can do what he does best - getting down the wing and putting in crosses - then there's no point him being on the pitch - I'd like to see him using his potential and playing
Martian
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby The One » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:47 pm

Should have sold him last season, for the mega money being offered.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:04 pm

Sneag wrote:I'm never happy to see CJ in a team ahead of Benning.

Mal is a far better player all round.

I disagree Sneag. I'd always have CJ Hamilton in the team. You cannot coach the genuine pace that he has. It was a great cross by CJ the first goal. He's one of our main attacking threats and gets bums off seats. I thought he did well at left wing back and I cannot remember Scunthorpe players getting past him like they did Kellan Gordon on the right. He also did one thing that Mal never does and that was chase back to stop a counter attack after he had lost the ball. It was his mistake for losing the ball but he battled back and got a round of applause from the fans. He also had a goal disallowed for offside. Was it offside? It looked tight but we were sat North Stand side of halfway line. JD needs to build CJ's confidence back up and get him flying again. He's not going to do this if he is sat on the bench.

We are lucky to have two great left sided attacking players in CJ Hamilton and Mal Benning and they often do play well together. However if you are playing three at the back then you do not need two players to do a one man job so it gives the manager a difficult choice. I'd always go for CJ because of his pace, goals and assists.

In real time I thought it looked very close. From the video, you just can't tell.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby jpstags » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:45 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Conker wrote:

You get worse with just about every post.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Stoney » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:22 am

CJ was our second highest scorer last season and often puts chances on a plate for other players but this seems to get forgotten about. I cannot believe the stick he gets. He's a very good player at this level.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:29 am

CJ is a great player seriously out of form.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby nick_stags » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:38 am

The cross for Preston's goal was sublime.

He was also very unlucky with his offside goal, which was a fantastic run and finish. A great pass by Bish too!
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:25 am

Conker wrote:CJ is a great player seriously out of form.

CJ isn't a great player he's a half decent Lge 2 player nothing more.

The likes of Ray Clarke, Liam Lawrence etc were great players.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:59 am

Spiritater wrote:

But he’s worth a million according to some on here not so long ago ?
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:26 am

Billy the fish wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

But he’s worth a million according to some on here not so long ago ?

Championship clubs were apparently offering 750k so he's not far off it.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:28 am

Spiritater wrote:

He's not just half decent. Give it a rest.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:44 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Conker wrote:

How is a attacking left winger with pace ‘a bit of luxury’?
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:26 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Conker wrote:

How is a attacking left winger with pace ‘a bit of luxury’?

He is NOT putting his undoubted speed to good effect OFTEN ENOUGH to justify the relentless inclusion in the starting eleven (IMO). Add to this his often comical lack of ball control.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum