{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Corners

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Corners

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:37 pm

Good win yesterday and one which JD understandably needed to protect to much frustration.

However Why have mansfield teams for as long as i can remember sat soo deep on corners.

CJ isnt an ariel presence as a defender in the box. Why was he not hugging the half way line against very slow defenders

Its not just recent, its been a thing for a loong time now and i just dont get it. It puts us on the back foot when we lose the ball after clearing it
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Re: Corners

Postby shirestag » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:53 pm

would be helpful if we could actually get the ball over the oppositions first man. same with free kicks but we need to leave at least one player forward.
have to agree with your first line Demps was so desperate for the first home win. not pretty but a win is a win and as they say we will play better and get nothing out of a game.
shirestag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby young vanish » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:59 pm

Agreed. Is it how coaching is taught these days? Premier League football is a different game to lower divisions and one size does not fit all. Top players fitness allows them to swarm into a lightning attack from out of defence, League 2 players do not do anything lightning like.
Personally I'd go for two 'fast' players hugging the half-way line, and two good passers of the ball in the space between our goal area and our forwards. This would ensure the opponents cannot throw as many bodies forward and a less crowded area must be easier to defend and less likely to leave attackers unmarked.
⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby young vanish » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:00 pm

The armchair coach always knows best!
⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby NG17_stag » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:32 pm

Chander Lear wrote:Good win yesterday and one which JD understandably needed to protect to much frustration.

However Why have mansfield teams for as long as i can remember sat soo deep on corners.

CJ isnt an ariel presence as a defender in the box. Why was he not hugging the half way line against very slow defenders

Its not just recent, its been a thing for a loong time now and i just dont get it. It puts us on the back foot when we lose the ball after clearing it

I don’t think CJ has won a single header in all his career. I agree, the closest he should be to our goal is the halfway line. It would terrify me as a defender if the keeper had the ball in his hands and I seen CJ on the starting blocks.
NG17_stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:47 pm

Now we have Shaughnessy I'd like to see him and CJ near the halfway line CJ near it and Shaughnessy just outside the centre circle. Big clearance and get him flicking on for CJ to run at goal.

They will have to risk the counter or not commit many forwards. That leaves 9 of our players in or around our penalty area.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:54 pm

I forgot about Mellis attempts at corners yesterday, if he cannot beat the first man time after time maybe it’s a good idea to let somebody else take them?
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:06 pm

I am not saying it’s right but there must be a lot of data on this on (a) how many (more) goals the attacking team score when you leave one up and (b) how many (more) goals he defending team score when they leave one up.

i suspect/hope that we’ve made a decision based on this sort of data, and maybe that is better I don’t know, but what I’m saying is there might be a decent reason for this, which may be better than us armchair coaches feeling like we should try this instead.

I’m not saying you are wrong Chander though just that maybe they’ve looked at it closely.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby one f in mansfield » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:16 pm

Been baffled by Cj coming back for corners for a long time . If any of our players win the ball under pressure from an opponents corner simply hoof the ball half way into the opponents half and let Cj Give chase . He would take at least 2 defenders with him . IT also creates a less crowded penalty box to defend corners.
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:28 pm

Conker wrote:I forgot about Mellis attempts at corners yesterday, if he cannot beat the first man time after time maybe it’s a good idea to let somebody else take them?

It might be a good idea to leave Mellis on the bench
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagone1959 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:09 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Conker wrote:I forgot about Mellis attempts at corners yesterday, if he cannot beat the first man time after time maybe it’s a good idea to let somebody else take them?

I wondered when someone would spot that Pike.

OSJ must be pulling his hair out that he can't get in ahead of someone just going through the motions of putting his kit on week in week out.
stagone1959
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:41 pm

young vanish wrote:League 2 players do not do anything lightning like.

Carlisle's first goal against Mansfield last season
CJ's second goal at Exeter last season
CJ's goal at Newport in the play offs last season
Leyton Orient's winner against us this season
Swindon's two goals at Scunthorpe this season

That's six I can think of straight away
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:46 pm

Crewe leave three up when the opposition have a corner, means four players have to stay back, us on the other hand don’t even leave CJ .......bonkers
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:13 pm

Crawley left three up front as well last season.

I've already said I would always leave CJ up front with an attacking midfield player loitering halfway between the box and the halfway line to try and pick up the ball and then play it forward to start a counter attack.

Leaving nobody up front is crazy as you have no out ball and if you clear the ball it comes straight back at you. Players also get in each other's way when you have too many defenders in the area.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:28 pm

Dave Artell put three on our half way line and Flitcroft had to bring four back to cover them. Yesterday we had two out for the first corner with CJ on the half way line.

As we lined up for the second corner, Ian Pledger (our goalkeeping coach) ran off the bench and shouted at him to go back to the edge of our box. It all seemed very odd and unsatisfactory
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:42 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:Dave Artell put three on our half way line and Flitcroft had to bring four back to cover them. Yesterday we had two out for the first corner with CJ on the half way line.

As we lined up for the second corner, Ian Pledger (our goalkeeping coach) ran off the bench and shouted at him to go back to the edge of our box. It all seemed very odd and unsatisfactory

Good to see training and prep going well.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:40 pm

have to say it seemed like we were making it up as we went along a bit Saturday

oh well roll on next Sat
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:32 pm

Anyone else noticing a LOT of dialogue between on the pitch players and the management team? On Saturday Macca came over to chat to Glover 3 times in about 15 minutes, Pearce spoke at length to them twice (one time at the sacrifice of on field positioning as they took their free kick (I think it was?) while chatting, and my dad noticed CJ chat to Demps, Glover and someone else in a short period of time. What's that about? Are they unprepared pre match? Is this micro management on the fly? Either way, it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence to be perfectly honest
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:02 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Now we have Shaughnessy I'd like to see him and CJ near the halfway line CJ near it and Shaughnessy just outside the centre circle. Big clearance and get him flicking on for CJ to run at goal.

They will have to risk the counter or not commit many forwards. That leaves 9 of our players in or around our penalty area.

As you commented a couple of weeks ago in reply to my post ,if we leave a few foward abit ,it might allow our keeper the chance to actually catch a cross or corner
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:23 pm

I still think they pack the box because of a lack of confidence in the keeper. The irony is that this probably makes the keeper’s job more difficult.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:37 pm

CJ is much more of a threat not being in the area.He has to be on the halfway line so Logan should he actually catch a cross/corner has an out ball.I would leave Maynard between the edge of our area and the halfway line.The opposition would have to worry about thatsituation.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:35 pm

spanishstag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Now we have Shaughnessy I'd like to see him and CJ near the halfway line CJ near it and Shaughnessy just outside the centre circle. Big clearance and get him flicking on for CJ to run at goal.

As you commented a couple of weeks ago in reply to my post ,if we leave a few foward abit ,it might allow our keeper the chance to actually catch a cross or corner

Exactly, even if he gets a punch on it we could counter
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:57 am

yorkshire stag wrote:Crewe leave three up when the opposition have a corner, means four players have to stay back, us on the other hand don’t even leave CJ .......bonkers

Saw that at the last World Cup. Mexico left 3 or 4 up at corners. Very attacking move, something i don't expect Cox, sorry i mean Dempster, to try any time soon.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:03 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:

Yes, the answer to our current poor brand of football is to actually have even less players on the pitch who are willing to receive the ball and pick a pass.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:24 am

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:

Yes, the answer to our current poor brand of football is to actually have even less players on the pitch who are willing to receive the ball and pick a pass.

:lol: :lol: :lol: How is Stagsnet still free.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum