{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stags v scunny scorefred by the spanish virgin

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Stags v scunny scorefred by the spanish virgin

Postby pemill » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:02 am

Conker wrote:It's a win and i'm glad about it but let's be honest, Scunthorpe were dreadful and that performance against most teams in the divison would not end well.

The decision to take off Maynard and put everybody in our own penalty box bar Rose was just astonishing, It was the most demoralizing victory in memory. Bizarre.

Spot on, I came home totally demoralised. Very uninspiring football.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:19 am

1970Stag wrote:Can someone explain what happens if we go for that 3rd goal' and Scunny got one back with 10 mins to go? What's the plan then, keep going for it and let Scunny get another. It wasn't pretty, but it did the job and Scunny didn't build up a head of steam or threaten us in those last 15 mins that I remember. Apart from one header that flashed past the post, what did they create?in the match? And yes CJ mishit the ball twice, but I'm assuming the posters taking the Mick, then missed the run he made for Bish to slide a pass through which CJ finished superbly? Only to be ruled out for offside? But yes when you're only looking for negative, I guess that is what you see. As for the guy saying they weren't good goals? Do good goals count double in league 2 or get you automatic promotion, a goals a goal if it wins the game, one came from a good cross and the other from pressure from a poaching striker on form, but I'm sure the negative posters here will see it differently. It's 3 points enjoy it for gods sake, I'm sure you'll get to fill your moaning boots next game...

We looked more like conceding after the substitution of bringing Maynard off and going 1 up front, we could have comfortably seen out the last 15 mins without conceding and possibly sneaked a 3rd. The last 15 mins drained me of any excitement whatsoever.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:37 am

Conker, you sum it up wonderfully, good post.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby spainmick » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:37 am

I would be happy to win every match 1 nil even if the performance is not good...
spainmick
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Jamie » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:58 am

Its the fact we're happy to surrender possession and hope we can defend that worries me. I'd much sooner us see a game out by keeping the ball.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:02 am

It wasn,t a great performance by any stretch of the imagination ,but it was a win ,the substitutions were probably more to do with the orient result than scunthorpe,s ability but we needed a result ,and got one ,shaughnessy looked really good ,bishop got some minutes no goals conceded ,and no sendings off whats not to be happy about this lovely sunday morning
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:05 am

spainmick wrote:I would be happy to win every match 1 nil even if the performance is not good...

23 home games costing approx £30 with ticket ,petrol and programme =£690
12 away games costing approx £50 with ticket, petrol ,food and program = £600
Add another £110 for cup games
£1,400 and I haven’t included the price of a single pint of beer in that or the loss of wages from not working Saturday at time and a half.
Three away games so far this season , Newport,Carlisle and Exeter .thats a lot of time and mileage to watch anything if you are willing to settle for not good .
I would take 1-0 wins that get us promotion but I would like the entertaining wins to far outnumber the games that we grind out an ugly win .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby West Ham 1969 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:29 am

pemill wrote:
1970Stag wrote:Can someone explain what happens if we go for that 3rd goal' and Scunny got one back with 10 mins to go? What's the plan then, keep going for it and let Scunny get another. It wasn't pretty, but it did the job and Scunny didn't build up a head of steam or threaten us in those last 15 mins that I remember. Apart from one header that flashed past the post, what did they create?in the match? And yes CJ mishit the ball twice, but I'm assuming the posters taking the Mick, then missed the run he made for Bish to slide a pass through which CJ finished superbly? Only to be ruled out for offside? But yes when you're only looking for negative, I guess that is what you see. As for the guy saying they weren't good goals? Do good goals count double in league 2 or get you automatic promotion, a goals a goal if it wins the game, one came from a good cross and the other from pressure from a poaching striker on form, but I'm sure the negative posters here will see it differently. It's 3 points enjoy it for gods sake, I'm sure you'll get to fill your moaning boots next game...

We looked more like conceding after the substitution of bringing Maynard off and going 1 up front, we could have comfortably seen out the last 15 mins without conceding and possibly sneaked a 3rd. The last 15 mins drained me of any excitement whatsoever.

Agree...taking Maynard off released capacity in their back 3 and centre mid....but, we got away with it, so well done Demps :D
West Ham 1969
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:37 am

I can only see one poster mention the word “confidence”. As he said, this could be the springboard to us going on a good run. Without confidence any good team or player in any sport can look distinctly average. This was a potential banana skin removed with ease, so with that, well done JD.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:54 am

spanishstag wrote:fgs we won and some on here are like a load of moaning bitches ,i give up with this forum

Lol I was thinking that
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:00 am

spanishstag wrote:It wasn,t a great performance by any stretch of the imagination ,but it was a win ,the substitutions were probably more to do with the orient result than scunthorpe,s ability but we needed a result ,and got one ,shaughnessy looked really good ,bishop got some minutes no goals conceded ,and no sendings off whats not to be happy about this lovely sunday morning

On one hand I want to educate you and explain a few things but on the other, I feel you might be too far off it to help.

To believe that all is well because we won a game of football, and as a result disregarding all the nuances, is daft and dangerous.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:04 am

1970Stag wrote: Can someone explain what happens if we go for that 3rd goal' and Scunny got one back with 10 mins to go? What's the plan then, keep going for it and let Scunny get another. It wasn't pretty, but it did the job and Scunny didn't build up a head of steam or threaten us in those last 15 mins that I remember. Apart from one header that flashed past the post, what did they create?in the match? And yes CJ mishit the ball twice, but I'm assuming the posters taking the Mick, then missed the run he made for Bish to slide a pass through which CJ finished superbly? Only to be ruled out for offside? But yes when you're only looking for negative, I guess that is what you see. As for the guy saying they weren't good goals? Do good goals count double in league 2 or get you automatic promotion, a goals a goal if it wins the game, one came from a good cross and the other from pressure from a poaching striker on form, but I'm sure the negative posters here will see it differently. It's 3 points enjoy it for gods sake, I'm sure you'll get to fill your moaning boots next game...

Well, under that scenario we would win 2-1.

You make the point like it was going to happen if had kept on trying to attack. Scunthorpe barely had a decent shot on target, we had 4. Tell me, if we had retained possession and tried to break them down with simple passes. Who would be most likely to score?

We don't do that though, we give the ball away cheaply and let them play and build momentum. Against a side that can finish we will get punished.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:14 am

WVStag wrote:
spanishstag wrote:It wasn,t a great performance by any stretch of the imagination ,but it was a win ,the substitutions were probably more to do with the orient result than scunthorpe,s ability but we needed a result ,and got one ,shaughnessy looked really good ,bishop got some minutes no goals conceded ,and no sendings off whats not to be happy about this lovely sunday morning

On one hand I want to educate you and explain a few things but on the other, I feel you might be too far off it to help.

To believe that all is well because we won a game of football, and as a result disregarding all the nuances, is daft and dangerous.

So try educating me ,do we get extra points for being stylish ,and i have not said all is well ,but since your so well educated i would have thought that you may be capable of looking at the whole picture ,injuries ,suspensions being the main issues ,but in yours and others eyes john dempster was a poor choice and nothing anyone says will alter that view ,so just accept the fact that others may not share it and may even find a positive in a win :coys:
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:18 am

spanishstag wrote:
WVStag wrote:

So try educating me ,do we get extra points for being stylish ,and i have not said all is well ,but since your so well educated i would have thought that you may be capable of looking at the whole picture ,injuries ,suspensions being the main issues ,but in yours and others eyes john dempster was a poor choice and nothing anyone says will alter that view ,so just accept the fact that others may not share it and may even find a positive in a win :coys:

Says the same bloke (?) calling people bitches because they’re not deluded enough to think anything about our current situation is at all good enough. Weird.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:25 am

WVStag wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
WVStag wrote:

Says the same bloke (?) calling people bitches because they’re not deluded enough to think anything about our current situation is at all good enough. Weird.

I suppose that the point is that our current situation IS good enough PROVIDED that we improve as the season progresses. I personally think that it will and can cut some slack given the adverse conditions we are currently experiencing . It just takes a little bit of faith in the players and acknowledging that they are better than current standards.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:32 am

I think what confused everyone is when he took Maynard off and went 5-4-1, there was absolutely no need, we had momentum. I could understand it was we was playing Plymouth and they had just scored to make it 2-1.

Seemed like a manager who was frightened to me, what gets me is that he said in his interview after he was pleased how we did in the last 15? Go and get a 3rd and make a statement JD!

New lad did well, composed on the ball, defence looked good again as well.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:35 am

Spanish stag I think the point your missing is many believe if we adopt that kind of tactical approach going forward, teams with a bit more about them will publish us.

We gave one of the worst L2 sides ive seen for a while the chance to come at us for 15 minutes. Not only that we did it in such a way that had they come back into it we wouldnt have had much left to reply with. Its madness and doesn't give fans the belief he knows what hes doing. Many of us will have seen a lot more L2 football than JD, we've seen this negative approach fail before... We've sat and watched our team throw away countless points in the last decade by adopting exactly that approach.

If you arent going to attack the worst team in the league, when 2 nil up at home, when are we going to attack? We were under no pressure at all until he made the changes. If they had upped their game and started to threaten then yeah maybe protect what we have but that wasnt the case. The 5 minutes before we changed it we started to open then up... its baffling.

If we were direct but effective, like under Cox then fair enough. But this team doesn't want to keep or work the ball. Doesn't support the target man to win 2nd balls and mostly doesn't even deliver good balls forward anyway. Surely keeping the ball is better than sitting back, letting them have it and hoping they dont break us down.

Great we got a win, but the problems haven't gone away and fans are rightly still worried.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:51 am

Jamie wrote:Spanish stag I think the point your missing is many believe if we adopt that kind of tactical approach going forward, teams with a bit more about them will publish us.

We gave one of the worst L2 sides ive seen for a while the chance to come at us for 15 minutes. Not only that we did it in such a way that had they come back into it we wouldnt have had much left to reply with. Its madness and doesn't give fans the belief he knows what hes doing. Many of us will have seen a lot more L2 football than JD, we've seen this negative approach fail before... We've sat and watched our team throw away countless points in the last decade by adopting exactly that approach.

If you arent going to attack the worst team in the league, when 2 nil up at home, when are we going to attack? We were under no pressure at all until he made the changes. If they had upped their game and started to threaten then yeah maybe protect what we have but that wasnt the case. The 5 minutes before we changed it we started to open then up... its baffling.

If we were direct but effective, like under Cox then fair enough. But this team doesn't want to keep or work the ball. Doesn't support the target man to win 2nd balls and mostly doesn't even deliver good balls forward anyway. Surely keeping the ball is better than sitting back, letting them have it and hoping they dont break us down.

Great we got a win, but the problems haven't gone away and fans are rightly still worried.

I get your point jamie ,but yesterday was a massive game that we had to win ,no matter how especially after the orient game ,i think that we will find the right balance ,but it doesn,t happen overnight ,especially with an injury decimated squad ,all im saying is we need to give him a bit of time
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:05 am

He's got time. No one (sensible) is calling for his head. We're just discussing how we see it... he did need the win and he got it, and lives to fight another day. What will be key is if this was a one off to get a much needed win or if this is how it does things. I fear it's the latter.

It was interesting that he had a little pop at the fans in his 103.2 interview post match. Even worse was that he thought we did well last 15 minutes. If by well he means we sat back, didn't touch the ball but kept them out then I guess hes right but it's just bizarre. He knew we weren't happy with it but decided to praise it anyway. Pressure is starting to show already.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:11 am

What did he say in his ‘pop’ ?
BigGuy
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:14 am

Jamie wrote:He's got time. No one (sensible) is calling for his head. We're just discussing how we see it... he did need the win and he got it, and lives to fight another day. What will be key is if this was a one off to get a much needed win or if this is how it does things. I fear it's the latter.

It was interesting that he had a little pop at the fans in his 103.2 interview post match. Even worse was that he thought we did well last 15 minutes. If by well he means we sat back, didn't touch the ball but kept them out then I guess hes right but it's just bizarre. He knew we weren't happy with it but decided to praise it anyway. Pressure is starting to show already.

Absolutely perfect reply Jamie. I listened to him on the radio and my thought was "deluded " when he said we dominated? That wasn't the match I was watching especially for the last 15 minutes and your summary of that is excellent. If he's commenting on negativity around the club then maybe he ought to ask why ? If it's a hangover from last season's failure why hasn't he put it right or shown he can. If it's down yo his period then what does he expect.

My only difference with Jamie is that we are simply going from game to game on his watch. There is now a core number within the fan Base who even if he wins two or three games do not believe we will achieve anything under his leadership. I'm in IGU and in my block I didn't hear one positive comment about him all game.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:36 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:
Jamie wrote:He's got time. No one (sensible) is calling for his head. We're just discussing how we see it... he did need the win and he got it, and lives to fight another day. What will be key is if this was a one off to get a much needed win or if this is how it does things. I fear it's the latter.

Absolutely perfect reply Jamie. I listened to him on the radio and my thought was "deluded " when he said we dominated? That wasn't the match I was watching especially for the last 15 minutes and your summary of that is excellent. If he's commenting on negativity around the club then maybe he ought to ask why ? If it's a hangover from last season's failure why hasn't he put it right or shown he can. If it's down yo his period then what does he expect.

My only difference with Jamie is that we are simply going from game to game on his watch. There is now a core number within the fan Base who even if he wins two or three games do not believe we will achieve anything under his leadership. I'm in IGU and in my block I didn't hear one positive comment about him all game.

Just as an afterthought did anyone else observe his animation and increased vocal efforts in the first ten to fifteen minutes. After the public displays of solidarity with the owners it was as if he was responding to the comments from some on here about his lack of presence at pitch side. He soon reverted to type though and even in breaks of play when players came to the touchline it was noticeable he was quiet and at times hung back behind everyone else.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby thefamilyvontrapp » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:44 am

Jamie wrote:Spanish stag I think the point your missing is many believe if we adopt that kind of tactical approach going forward, teams with a bit more about them will publish us.

This is very accurate!!! Couldn’t put it any better!!
thefamilyvontrapp
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:15 am

Sneag wrote:I'm never happy to see CJ in a team ahead of Benning.

Mal is a far better player all round.

I disagree Sneag. I'd always have CJ Hamilton in the team. You cannot coach the genuine pace that he has. It was a great cross by CJ the first goal. He's one of our main attacking threats and gets bums off seats. I thought he did well at left wing back and I cannot remember Scunthorpe players getting past him like they did Kellan Gordon on the right. He also did one thing that Mal never does and that was chase back to stop a counter attack after he had lost the ball. It was his mistake for losing the ball but he battled back and got a round of applause from the fans. He also had a goal disallowed for offside. Was it offside? It looked tight but we were sat North Stand side of halfway line. JD needs to build CJ's confidence back up and get him flying again. He's not going to do this if he is sat on the bench.

We are lucky to have two great left sided attacking players in CJ Hamilton and Mal Benning and they often do play well together. However if you are playing three at the back then you do not need two players to do a one man job so it gives the manager a difficult choice. I'd always go for CJ because of his pace, goals and assists.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:25 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Sneag wrote:I'm never happy to see CJ in a team ahead of Benning.

Mal is a far better player all round.

I disagree Sneag. I'd always have CJ Hamilton in the team. You cannot coach the genuine pace that he has. It was a great cross by CJ the first goal. He's one of our main attacking threats and gets bums off seats. I thought he did well at left wing back and I cannot remember Scunthorpe players getting past him like they did Kellan Gordon on the right. He also did one thing that Mal never does and that was chase back to stop a counter attack after he had lost the ball. It was his mistake for losing the ball but he battled back and got a round of applause from the fans. He also had a goal disallowed for offside. Was it offside? It looked tight but we were sat North Stand side of halfway line. JD needs to build CJ's confidence back up and get him flying again. He's not going to do this if he is sat on the bench.

We are lucky to have two great left sided attacking players in CJ Hamilton and Mal Benning and they often do play well together. However if you are playing three at the back then you do not need two players to do a one man job so it gives the manager a difficult choice. I'd always go for CJ because of his pace, goals and assists.

Mal was awful when he came on, got turned easily within seconds, dribbling again in a danger area and totally uninterested. It was exactly in a short cameo why he's been dropped.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum