{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

new signing Conor Shaughnessy

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: new signing Conor Shaughnessy

Postby geoffhill » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:27 pm

I would expect Sweeneys red card to be rescinded and The new guy to play in Bishop/Tomlinsons place in midfield.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:29 pm

Its still stylish george ,thanks edders
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:37 pm

geoffhill wrote:I would expect Sweeneys red card to be rescinded and The new guy to play in Bishop/Tomlinsons place in midfield.

Bishop might be fit for Saturday but if not I would go for Shaughnessy Macca in midfield with Khan/Mellis in front of them
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:12 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
geoffhill wrote:I would expect Sweeneys red card to be rescinded and The new guy to play in Bishop/Tomlinsons place in midfield.

Bishop might be fit for Saturday but if not I would go for Shaughnessy Macca in midfield with Khan/Mellis in front of them

Shaughnessy & Mellis Deep, Khan/OSJ advanced for me. Scunthorpe have been awful, 16 games without a win stretching back, 1 point this season, if we get some players on the pitch who can pass we will beat them.

We looked brighter once we took Tomlinson off, dropped Mellis back deep and put OSJ In behind the strikers on Saturday because we finally had somebody deep capable of passing it, and someone in Sterling who is happy to find little pockets of space and receive the ball in tight areas. All of a sudden we stopped hoofing it to Rose (as much).
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:24 pm

I am expecting great things of this lad - 3 pages, 54 posts and not a ball kicked in anger yet.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:47 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:I am expecting great things of this lad - 3 pages, 54 posts and not a ball kicked in anger yet.

I’ve booked him to tile my bathroom
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:22 pm

Looks like Stephen Dawson is training with us.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby mansfieldarmy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:18 am

what makes you think stephen dawson is training with us
mansfieldarmy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:18 am

mansfieldarmy wrote:what makes you think stephen dawson is training with us

It looks like he's in the training video that was uploaded yesterday
Last edited by bobbystagsfan on Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:21 pm

that’s the back of Dawson’s head i’m pretty sure
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:57 pm

wow this kid can play, looks class, can ping a pass on the floor !!!!!, & finds time on the ball
head & shoulders above anyone else today, credit the gaffa on this one, this kid can play

way to good for our league
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:01 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:wow this kid can play, looks class, can ping a pass on the floor !!!!!, & finds time on the ball
head & shoulders above anyone else today, credit the gaffa on this one, this kid can play

way to good for our league
True. I would have given him MOM today.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:04 pm

He was excellent in the first half and seemed the only one able to make time on the ball and his passing enabled his team mates to be less hurried in their decision making. Thought he faded distribution wise in the second half but never stopped working. Great debut young man. Genuinely close for man of the match with Gordon.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Reg Holdsworth » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:39 pm

Very impressive, I also thought he was out MoM today.
Reg Holdsworth
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby geoffhill » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:58 pm

He is a class player for sure.I thought Macca played very well today.Mellis was poor.Maynard wasn't happy to be taken off he will come good excellent player.Scunthorpe were poor.I think that was why JD took maynard off as he thought they would not score.We got 3 points and a clean sheet which was a priority.We move on.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:59 am

pity he's only here till jan
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bux46 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:24 am

Spiritater wrote:pity he's only here till jan

Have I read that wrong ?? I thought it was a season long loan with an option for Leeds to recall him in Jan if they needed him ??
bux46
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MOTG » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:26 am

geoffhill wrote:He is a class player for sure.I thought Macca played very well today.Mellis was poor.Maynard wasn't happy to be taken off he will come good excellent player.Scunthorpe were poor.I think that was why JD took maynard off as he thought they would not score.We got 3 points and a clean sheet which was a priority.We move on.

An accurate account of what I would make Geoffhill.Rose and Maynard kept their centre backs busy and I thought there was another goal in us but when Maynard was subbed allowed their centre backs more time on the ball to get it to their midfield and create a few more attacks although to be honest they hardly looked like scoring .
Nice to get a home win, a clean sheet and hopefully build on the positives.
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby thefamilyvontrapp » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:38 am

Got to say that Conor had a really good first game for us, first half was outstanding but he faded a little in the second half.
This guy was cool calm collected, a pleasure to watch... he’s certainly what we’ve been missing in the middle of the park...!! Just need the other 10 to up their game now(lol).
thefamilyvontrapp
First Team
First Team

Postby kwambo » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:50 am

Said to my son yesterday as we left the ground. Be good to see him and bishop as our middle two. Solid platform to build on and protect the back 3. Also can put McDonald out to the right which for me is his best position
kwambo
First Team
First Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:20 am

Shaughnessy & Bish in the middle, has there ever been a taller pairing the middle of the park for us ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:50 am

bux46 wrote:

Have I read that wrong ?? I thought it was a season long loan with an option for Leeds to recall him in Jan if they needed him ??

You're right bux46...

Source MTFC Official Site

Mansfield Town are delighted to announce the signing of towering centre-half Conor Shaughnessy on a season-long loan from Leeds United.

The 23-year-old linked up with his new teammates at the club’s RH Academy for his first training session earlier this morning.

The 6ft 4in defender has made over a dozen first team appearances for his parent club, Leeds, as well as enjoying a six month loan spell at Hearts last season where he collected a Scottish Cup runners-up medal.

Shaughnessy, who can also operate in midfield, has represented Republic of Ireland at U15, U16, U17, U18 and U21 level.

Speaking to http://www.mansfieldtown.net, he said: “This is an important stage of my career and it feels like the right move for me. I need to play games, get experience under my belt and I think this is the perfect place for me to do that.

“This is a club which is looking to move in the right direction. I’ve had a really good conversation with the manager, who has told me about where he sees me fitting in, our style of play, and it all added up to make this an easy decision to join.

“I’m heading into this loan move with a real positive mindset, hoping to make the most of it and looking to play as many games as possible."
Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:16 am

He did well. Faded 2nd half a little, but he went down with cramp (due to not playing much) so perhaps could be forgiven.

He's here for the season. Except both clubs will have the obligatory option to send him back to Leeds in January.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:25 am

A very good debut by Conor. I gave him MOM ahead of Alex MacDonald and Matt Preston. He can put his foot on the ball and pass it which might also be useful if he plays in a back three as Ryan Sweeney and Matt Preston's distribution is not good at times. Ryan Sweeney in particular looked like he had lost a little confidence on the ball yesterday. I like him when he tries to push up and bring the ball forward out of defence but he often just passed back to Conrad Logan. Krystian Pearce was the only defender who did bring the ball out yesterday with a break in the 2nd half.

Conor will not get in a Marcelo Bielsa side at Leeds though if he gets cramp in the 2nd half! :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:32 am

Son Of Sherwood wrote:
bux46 wrote:

You're right bux46...

Source MTFC Official Site

Mansfield Town are delighted to announce the signing of towering centre-half Conor Shaughnessy on a season-long loan from Leeds United.

The 23-year-old linked up with his new teammates at the club’s RH Academy for his first training session earlier this morning.

The 6ft 4in defender has made over a dozen first team appearances for his parent club, Leeds, as well as enjoying a six month loan spell at Hearts last season where he collected a Scottish Cup runners-up medal.

Shaughnessy, who can also operate in midfield, has represented Republic of Ireland at U15, U16, U17, U18 and U21 level.

Speaking to http://www.mansfieldtown.net, he said: “This is an important stage of my career and it feels like the right move for me. I need to play games, get experience under my belt and I think this is the perfect place for me to do that.

“This is a club which is looking to move in the right direction. I’ve had a really good conversation with the manager, who has told me about where he sees me fitting in, our style of play, and it all added up to make this an easy decision to join.

“I’m heading into this loan move with a real positive mindset, hoping to make the most of it and looking to play as many games as possible."

It's the West Ham lad who's only here until January.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum