{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

why didn’t he sort out Midfield

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: why didn’t he sort out Midfield

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:07 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
Conker wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:This just shows how incompetent Dempster is. It was plain as day that our midfield wasn’t good enough st the back end of last season when it all went wrong. He’s had all summer to fix it and yet he’s not done that. He brought in a midfielder in Donohue yet hasn’t replaced him after what went off with him.

Completely ridiculous. How he can watch the likes of Macdonald and Tomlinson this season and not think that they need replacing is ludicrous.

With all the money we’ve spent on this squad over the past couple of years, to think we STILL haven’t assembled a competent midfield is shocking.

With all due respect you have no idea what happened behind the scenes so to immediately blame it on Dempster is just diluting the genuine arguments against him thus far.

He's the manager. He's clearly got a massive say in who we sign. The midfield is clearly not good enough. He's not addressed this, therefore he's shooting himself in the foot. It's completely incompetent that he's had all this time to fix a clear position of need and yet not done so.

It wouldn't even surprise me if he doesn't think that the midfield needed changing. Every single fan can see it.

True, but if the 2 or 3 targets he lined up then signed elsewhere or were too greedy, then we'd still be in this situation (nobody signed and no club statement). The buck stops with the manager, but it's by no means clear whether JD tried & failed or didn't bother at all. Both merit some criticism, but one far less than the other imo
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:40 pm

Get Stephen Dawson signed.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby smulls » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:20 pm

jpstags wrote:Get Stephen Dawson signed.

bull! No and no and no. He didn’t have a leg! He is crocked full stop.
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Chadman » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:40 am

. . . or maybe he did sort the midfield? We shall see . . .

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/c ... -1-9974016
Chadman
First Team
First Team

Postby Jimstag » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:33 pm

Chadman wrote:. . . or maybe he did sort the midfield? We shall see . . .

I see what you did Adman!

Martin and I said similar on another thread that JD was talking about Shaughnessy and a central midfielder, hopefully it works. If he’s championship quality he should be able to do it.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:51 pm

Jimstag wrote:

Martin and I said similar on another thread that JD was talking about Shaughnessy and a central midfielder, hopefully it works. If he’s championship quality he should be able to do it.

Or instead of a RW in midfield, we'll have a CH, or possibly both. Nothing's changed from DF, square pegs and all that
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:09 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Jimstag wrote:

Or instead of a RW in midfield, we'll have a CH, or possibly both. Nothing's changed from DF, square pegs and all that

It's like footballers cant play in two positions in this day and age
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:15 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Jimstag wrote:

Don't think you can say that with any authority until we see where he actually plays the lad :D
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:44 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Jimstag wrote:

Don't think you can say that with any authority until we see where he actually plays the lad :D

True but MacDonalds a mainstay?
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:21 pm

No please don’t let that get in the way of your constant whining
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:49 pm

here’s an idea: Lets wait and see what Saturday brings?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:58 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:here’s an idea: Lets wait and see what Saturday brings?

My God, what an absolutely brilliant idea. You Edders, are a true Stagsnet visionary!
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:00 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:here’s an idea: Lets wait and see what Saturday brings?

My God, what an absolutely brilliant idea. You Edders, are a true Stagsnet visionary!

‘Tis oft a burden.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:21 pm

Stephen Dawson is training with us according the training video they have put on I follow.

Sure it's him.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:36 am

lifestags wrote:Stephen Dawson is training with us according the training video they have put on I follow.

Sure it's him.

I hope SD gets fixed up with a club, (as I do all the Bury players). I'm not sure if that club is us.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:41 am

Isn’t Steven Dawson a McDonald type player whose legs have gone.

Are we sure we need that type of player.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:57 am

90% sure that’s Dawson.

Personally hope it’s just a favour to keep him ticking. He’s barely kicked a ball in the last 2 seasons.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:12 am

I'm sure that Steven Dawson would bring some much needed grit and determination to the squad mentality. He doesn't need to be on the field much but his experience at Bury and the turmoil they went though but still achieved promotion could be just what this talented squad needs.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:16 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I'm sure that Steven Dawson would bring some much needed grit and determination to the squad mentality. He doesn't need to be on the field much but his experience at Bury and the turmoil they went though but still achieved promotion could be just what this talented squad needs.

Watched him play against us last season, he was slow and wasnt the Stephen Dawson I remembered, thin he even got sent off? Put some timber on since he was with us last.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:19 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I'm sure that Steven Dawson would bring some much needed grit and determination to the squad mentality. He doesn't need to be on the field much but his experience at Bury and the turmoil they went though but still achieved promotion could be just what this talented squad needs.

We've got that with Bishop.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:31 am

James wrote:

We've got that with Bishop.

Exactly. Pretty sure ‘Mini Bish’ :roll: and Macca should also be players that provide us with grit and determination if nothing else.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:48 am

I think Dawson will surface in the Conference, he's a bit old now, wasn't regular at Bury last term I understand.
He is not the fitness addict that Bishop is.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:51 am

Seems we've all just shrugged our collective shoulders and accepted the inability to sign a true creative midfielder....we had long enough after the Leeming Street debacle and almost certainly knowing where he was going. So we don't get a replacement for DD who apparently was going to be the driving heart of the team. No disrespect to the lad from Leeds but we don't need a jack of all trades.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:56 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:Seems we've all just shrugged our collective shoulders and accepted the inability to sign a true creative midfielder....we had long enough after the Leeming Street debacle and almost certainly knowing where he was going. So we don't get a replacement for DD who apparently was going to be the driving heart of the team. No disrespect to the lad from Leeds but we don't need a jack of all trades.

Bit harsh on the lad from Leeds to be honest, he is cover for 2 positions if nothing else. (He may turn out to be brilliant by the way)
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:06 am

lifestags wrote:

Watched him play against us last season, he was slow and wasnt the Stephen Dawson I remembered, thin he even got sent off? Put some timber on since he was with us last.

Dawson started 4 league games last season, only 1 of which was after mid Sept. He was sent off against us in the EFL Trophy.
In fact just 13 league starts in the last 2 seasons.
https://www.soccerbase.com/players/play ... r_id=40420
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum