{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

new signing Conor Shaughnessy

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: new signing Conor Shaughnessy

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:22 am

Having watched that video, I would say that he can use both feet (although right seems dominant) which suggests to me that he could play in the centre of a back three.

That begs the question to me that IF Pearce continues to make mistakes and appears to refuse to pass back to Logan, will he be dropped for the new lad.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:57 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Having watched that video, I would say that he can use both feet (although right seems dominant) which suggests to me that he could play in the centre of a back three.

That begs the question to me that IF Pearce continues to make mistakes and appears to refuse to pass back to Logan, will he be dropped for the new lad.

Pearce will be the last of that back three to be dropped, and rightly so.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:07 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Having watched that video, I would say that he can use both feet (although right seems dominant) which suggests to me that he could play in the centre of a back three.

Last season I would have agreed with that but I'm not so sure this year. He has made several mistakes for goals (Saturday being the latest) and it appears he has a problem with Logan and won't pass back to him. Mr Dempster hasn't dropped his goalkeeper and appears to be backing him all of the way. I feel that if Pearce doesn't start to include Logan more, we could see the situation coming to a head and I'm not sure who Dempster will back.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:11 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Last season I would have agreed with that but I'm not so sure this year. He has made several mistakes for goals (Saturday being the latest) and it appears he has a problem with Logan and won't pass back to him. Mr Dempster hasn't dropped his goalkeeper and appears to be backing him all of the way. I feel that if Pearce doesn't start to include Logan more, we could see the situation coming to a head and I'm not sure who Dempster will back.

I'm very sure who he will back. The player who has been absolutely brilliant for three seasons, or the player who has consistently cost us points for two years. No contest. And if Dempster doesn't back Pearce over Logan that will be the end of him. Pearce is absolutely correct not to trust Logan.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:13 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

I'm very sure who he will back. The player who has been absolutely brilliant for three seasons, or the player who has consistently cost us points for two years. No contest. And if Dempster doesn't back Pearce over Logan that will be the end of him. Pearce is absolutely correct not to trust Logan.
Musings, Pearce is not without his lapses in concentration. He too has cost us points because of them.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:26 am

Andy please please don't try and suggest Pearce has made anywhere near the level of clangers than Conrad Logan has over the last two years. Please.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:04 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Andy please please don't try and suggest Pearce has made anywhere near the level of clangers than Conrad Logan has over the last two years. Please.
Im just trying to add some balance. It's not as black and white as you are trying to make out.

Surely IF the new guy can do a better job than Pearce then he should bring him in. The same applies to Conrad and Bobby.

No ones place should be sacrosanct.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:19 am

That's the trouble. The goalkeeper seems undropable( for goalkeeper insert statue). If I was Pierce, I'd have no confidence either. He must be a nightmare to play in front of. Still assert that any defensive problems we have, start with him.
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:43 am

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Andy please please don't try and suggest Pearce has made anywhere near the level of clangers than Conrad Logan has over the last two years. Please.
Im just trying to add some balance. It's not as black and white as you are trying to make out.

Surely IF the new guy can do a better job than Pearce then he should bring him in. The same applies to Conrad and Bobby.

He’s made less errors than Preston and Sweeney, this season and last, despite playing injured the majority of the time. Those two will be dropped before Pearce.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:58 am

Agree Musings.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:19 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

He’s made less errors than Preston and Sweeney, this season and last, despite playing injured the majority of the time. Those two will be dropped before Pearce.

If the new guy can play better than Preston or Sweeney in their position the same applies.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:25 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

If the new guy can play better than Preston or Sweeney in their position the same applies.

We know!
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:37 pm

Krystian Pearce has been fantastic for us for the last 3 seasons. We can forgive him the odd mistake. We need more from our midfield and forwards.

The new lad from Leeds just gives everybody a bit of competition for places as well as cover for injuries.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:05 pm

I take it from Dempster's interview this morning that Shaughnessy is more likely to start in midfield than defence.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:52 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:I take it from Dempster's interview this morning that Shaughnessy is more likely to start in midfield than defence.

I'm sure Conor can do a job as a defensive midfield player although we already have Bishop, Tomlinson and MacDonald who can play that position. There are not many 6 foot 3 midfield players in League 2 although Harry Pell at Col U is 6 foot 4.

I've had a look at the line ups for the 11 Hearts games that Conor started in the SPL from Jan-May 2019 on Sky Sports and he was always played as a centre half. He played right, left and centre and actually played more games on the left side. His positions were as follows:

Back 4 (Right Side Centre Half) - 1
Back 4 (Left Side Centre Half) - 2
Back 3 (Centre) - 3
Back 3 (Right) - 1
Back 3 (Left) - 4
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:53 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

We know!

Musings you are giving me the distinct feeling that you are filling in for Belly whilst he's on his well earned sabbatical.
Have I run over your cat or something ? :) :(
Last edited by Amber Andy on Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:56 pm

Looks like a solid and very good player from the video
Looking forward to seeing him play and guess he may start Sat if Sweeny card not overturned.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:59 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Looks like a solid and very good player from the video
Looking forward to seeing him play and guess he may start Sat if Sweeny card not overturned.

He does look commanding and comfortable on the ball.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:27 pm

You're just a frustrating person to debate with Andy, almost all of the time!

Anyway, I hate cats, so if you have you'll have done me a favour.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:35 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:I take it from Dempster's interview this morning that Shaughnessy is more likely to start in midfield than defence.

I'm sure Conor can do a job as a defensive midfield player although we already have Bishop, Tomlinson and MacDonald who can play that position. There are not many 6 foot 3 midfield players in League 2 although Harry Pell at Col U is 6 foot 4.

I've had a look at the line ups for the 11 Hearts games that Conor started in the SPL from Jan-May 2019 on Sky Sports and he was always played as a centre half. He played right, left and centre and actually played more games on the left side. His positions were as follows:

Back 4 (Right Side Centre Half) - 1
Back 4 (Left Side Centre Half) - 2
Back 3 (Centre) - 3
Back 3 (Right) - 1
Back 3 (Left) - 4

Yep, he seems like he is primarily a centre back. If he can play in midfield that’s a bonus but like you say we don’t need another defensive mid, we need someone that can dictate play and provide some composure. I’m personally not sure a youngster who’s main position is centre half is the answer to where our midfield problems lie, but I’m sure we’ll see him play there so we can see what he has in his locker. Hopefully he turns out to be a good addition! His flexibility could be important down the line.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:52 pm

Agree with Martin that the interview would suggest he was thinking of Conor in midfield. It would answer the question why JD hasn’t sorted out the midfield if he plays him here, as with all new signings the question is if it works? I’m sure we’ll begin finding out Saturday.

Regarding KP, there’s no way he’d be playing at this level if he didn’t have the odd concentration lapse within him. Keep with him as he’ll save more point that he’ll cost over a season.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:43 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:You're just a frustrating person to debate with Andy, almost all of the time!

I don't expect you to agree with my opinions. There are others on here who don't.

However, most of them are respectful in their replys. That's all I'm asking.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:58 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:You're just a frustrating person to debate with Andy, almost all of the time!

I don't expect you to agree with my opinions. There are others on here who don't.

However, most of them are respectful in their replys. That's all I'm asking.

Your comments on this thread were baffling though, and had no relevance to what I was saying.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:01 pm

spanishstag wrote:
NorthLondonStag wrote:Says on his Wikipedia that he can ‘also operate as a centre midfielder’.

Maybe that’s why he’s been brought in, if he can do either.

Says on my wikipedia that i look like george clooney jus sayin

Sounds like he is going to be played in Midfield as his Wikipedia suggests, so presumably this means Spanish Stag really does look like George Clooney.
Last edited by NorthLondonStag on Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:11 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
NorthLondonStag wrote:Says on his Wikipedia that he can ‘also operate as a centre midfielder’.

Maybe that’s why he’s been brought in, if he can do either.

Says on my wikipedia that i look like george clooney jus sayin

Sounds like he is going to be played in Midfield as his Wikipedia suggests, so presumably this means Spanish Stag really does like George Clooney.

Marjorie Clooney, more like.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum