{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

why didn’t he sort out Midfield

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: why didn’t he sort out Midfield

Postby jake » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:08 pm

If you took the time to look at the new signings stats you will see he can also play in central midfield, enough said?
jake
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Conker » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:14 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
Conker wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:This just shows how incompetent Dempster is. It was plain as day that our midfield wasn’t good enough st the back end of last season when it all went wrong. He’s had all summer to fix it and yet he’s not done that. He brought in a midfielder in Donohue yet hasn’t replaced him after what went off with him.

Completely ridiculous. How he can watch the likes of Macdonald and Tomlinson this season and not think that they need replacing is ludicrous.

With all the money we’ve spent on this squad over the past couple of years, to think we STILL haven’t assembled a competent midfield is shocking.

With all due respect you have no idea what happened behind the scenes so to immediately blame it on Dempster is just diluting the genuine arguments against him thus far.

Where has he blamed the Donohue incident on Dempster? He’s said he hasn’t replaced him after what’s happened which is true and therefore we still lack quality

You’ve literally just made that up, I never said that, I was on about signing a midfielder.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:18 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:I don't believe JD has not tried to sign such a midfielder.

Maybe ; 1/ The midfielder he wanted to sign has gone somewhere else,

2/ JR has withdrawn the funds / their wasn't sufficient funds,

3/ Donohue is coming back to the fold.

In essence not what we were expecting. No disrespect from the young lads from Leeds and West Ham, but I think most of us will feel underwhelmed.

Donohues contracted has been terminated so he won't be coming back
Didn't know they Bobby. When did that happen?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:29 pm

Sorry, its the same midfield that dominated most teams last season. It's just they don't press as last year, so teams have time to pass round us and we can't get a tackle in. And when we have the ball it's launched 50 yard to Danny Rose bypassing Mellis, CJ and Ottis. Not the lack of a decent midfield just a managers tactics that doesn't use them to their best.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:37 pm

Same midfield as last year, problem is we bypass them more often. We need to get them on the ball,

Remember we can still sign free agents.https://www.transfermarkt.com/spieler/v ... 9&yt0=Show
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:38 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:I don't believe JD has not tried to sign such a midfielder.

Maybe ; 1/ The midfielder he wanted to sign has gone somewhere else,

2/ JR has withdrawn the funds / their wasn't sufficient funds,

3/ Donohue is coming back to the fold.

In essence not what we were expecting. No disrespect to the young lads from Leeds and West Ham, but I think most of us will feel underwhelmed.

On the ball as ever Andy, Donohue has been released.

Since he's only been released this afternoon Musings, I think your remark is a tad unfair.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby spainmick » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:39 pm

When Fans favourite Bishop comes back... surely with Bishop holding midfield with mellis and Khan plus one other being allowed to play telling passes to Rose Maynard and Cook will stop whinging Yorkshire men on here
spainmick
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby spanishstag » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:43 pm

spainmick wrote:When Fans favourite Bishop comes back... surely with Bishop holding midfield with mellis and Khan plus one other being allowed to play telling passes to Rose Maynard and Cook will stop whinging Yorkshire men on here
dont think we will ever stop them yorkies moaning but they do post some good stuff ,blunt and honest :D
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:29 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:really cannot understand why the manager has not addressed the major position we are crying out for ?

we needed a real price of quality in that central area, i’m sorry to say this may well cost him big time

He's either not noticed it's an area lacking - worrying.

His tactics dont need a midfield - worrying.

Or

He wasn't able to get one - worrying.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:31 pm

In 2019 we have dominated noone in midfield. In or centre mid we have mellis who can pick a pass and he is still bang average and not bothered. Going to be a long few months. Hopefully we can keep our heads above bottom spot until January comes.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:00 pm

Should ease the porosity of this season’s (25 clean sheets) back line. He might even pass back to Logan.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:47 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:Should ease the porosity of this season’s (25 clean sheets) back line. He might even pass back to Logan.

Well if he's injury free for 25 games,that will be an improvement on the other new signings :)
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:59 pm

wink68 wrote:Sorry, its the same midfield that dominated most teams last season. It's just they don't press as last year, so teams have time to pass round us and we can't get a tackle in. And when we have the ball it's launched 50 yard to Danny Rose bypassing Mellis, CJ and Ottis. Not the lack of a decent midfield just a managers tactics that doesn't use them to their best.

Are you Dempsters son. When have Tomlinson, MacDonald and Mellis dominated a match????
A poor Orient side ran them ragged for 60 mins. As Part Time Pete pointed out, since MacDonald came back from injury we've hardly won a game, the games we dominated he was injured, coincidence it's not
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:05 pm

I think it’s pretty apparent to anyone watching mansfield this season that midfield is the weak point.

Seemingly all apart from the manager.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:07 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:really cannot understand why the manager has not addressed the major position we are crying out for ?

we needed a real price of quality in that central area, i’m sorry to say this may well cost him big time

He's either not noticed it's an area lacking - worrying.

His tactics dont need a midfield - worrying.

Or

He wasn't able to get one - worrying.

It’s very concerning.

Can imagine it all getting quite dodgy if we lose to bottom of the league Scunthorpe on Saturday
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:47 pm

The only player capable of picking a pass and dictating possession and tempo in our current midfield is Mellis, and he's more cold than hot these days and seemingly prefers trying to be the new Don King out on Leeming Street.

Khan is a good player, but a bit of a luxury so only worthwhile when the team is performing well and dominating the ball....which we most certainly aren't at the moment.

Donahue by all accounts was the player we now desperately need, so after he was rightfully sacked, and it was blatantly obvious from the second the incident happened that he was going to be, I can't fathom why we haven't had irons in the fire with potential midfield replacements. It's all well and good saying "His target might have gone elsewhere" but we're so lacking in the middle of the park, he should have drawn up a list of at least 10 options with the case of, if one says no, move onto the next one.

Can't honestly see him making it to the January transfer window now, it'll be like going back in a time machine watching Gary Mills and Tyrone Thompson trying to play in our central midfield.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:11 pm

In the week before the 4am fight, Dempster spoke at length on follow about how he was taking Donahue's recovery slowly due to 'how important he is to how we will play' and how he will 'be a big player for us'....At this point he had no idea that Donahue was going to let him / the club down but surely if what he offered was so 'key' it seems very strange that he hasn't replaced him.

I fail to believe that there isn't some good young lads at prem / championship clubs that we could have got...proper prospects not the likes of King that we had last season.
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:14 pm

S7AGS wrote:In the week before the 4am fight, Dempster spoke at length on follow about how he was taking Donahue's recovery slowly due to 'how important he is to how we will play' and how he will 'be a big player for us'....At this point he had no idea that Donahue was going to let him / the club down but surely if what he offered was so 'key' it seems very strange that he hasn't replaced him.

I fail to believe that there isn't some good young lads at prem / championship clubs that we could have got...proper prospects not the likes of King that we had last season.

Spot on. Not signing a replacement has taken him to the top level of buffoonery
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:37 pm

Can we still sign free agents?

Dorrans released by Rangers May be a long shot but would be a great addition
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:44 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
S7AGS wrote:In the week before the 4am fight, Dempster spoke at length on follow about how he was taking Donahue's recovery slowly due to 'how important he is to how we will play' and how he will 'be a big player for us'....At this point he had no idea that Donahue was going to let him / the club down but surely if what he offered was so 'key' it seems very strange that he hasn't replaced him.

Spot on. Not signing a replacement has taken him to the top level of buffoonery

Makes you wonder what has happened to the "special relationship" with Nottingham Forest ?
Was it only afforded to DF ?( Bolton have signed someone on loan from Nottingham Forest). Don't they trust JD with their players ? Didn't JD fancy signing players from Nottingham Forest ? Also what has happened to the midfielder we were supposed to be signing from Glasgow Rangers ? Did he sign for Macclesfield?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:05 pm

We can still sign free agents.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:18 am

oldweststander wrote:We can still sign free agents.

We will be lucky to find the kind of player we need going down that route.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:55 am

It’s interesting to see where he’s strengthens and positions he’s left. Like many say without Donahue who was potentially the top level centre mid required as we do look short of quality, we’ve got plenty who can play there but I don’t think it’s a promotion winning lineup. I hope they prove me wrong.

If the current pattern of play was to continue e.g. more longer balls direct to Rose then I’d be looking to go three up top and have more chance of those balls sticking, Rose for the first ball and two around to pick up the second ball? I guess we’ll see when they lineup on Saturday.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:25 am

All part of the very strange start to the season so far
Yes seems odd not to have gone for the solid midfielder of the Bish mould ??
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:33 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
wink68 wrote:Sorry, its the same midfield that dominated most teams last season. It's just they don't press as last year, so teams have time to pass round us and we can't get a tackle in. And when we have the ball it's launched 50 yard to Danny Rose bypassing Mellis, CJ and Ottis. Not the lack of a decent midfield just a managers tactics that doesn't use them to their best.

Are you Dempsters son. When have Tomlinson, MacDonald and Mellis dominated a match????
A poor Orient side ran them ragged for 60 mins. As Part Time Pete pointed out, since MacDonald came back from injury we've hardly won a game, the games we dominated he was injured, coincidence it's not

My point exactly. Midfield easily good enough last season. Look like lost sheep this season. Only difference is a change of manager with different tactics.
wink68
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum