{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:25 am

For me it was when we had the brilliant Duncan McKenzie around 1971 or 72 from Forest.

Never ever seen anyone look so cultured and so far above anyone else on the pitch.

To the best of my recollection we only had him for short periods because he was such a star with us Forest recalled him for their first team.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Postby Billy the fish » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:50 am

Off the top of my head O’Neil Donaldson couldn’t stop scoring for us .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:50 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:For me it was when we had the brilliant Duncan McKenzie around 1971 or 72 from Forest.

Never ever seen anyone look so cultured and so far above anyone else on the pitch.

To the best of my recollection we only had him for short periods because he was such a star with us Forest recalled him for their first team.

I also think Duncan just about shades it but mention should go to Adam Murray, Matt Piper and O'Neil Donaldson who also lit the team up and changed our fortunes.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:53 am

Didn't see McKenzie. Impact wise O'Neill Donaldson and Adam Murray

I remember Mike Carter from Bolton, he was good too, scored a fantastic goal vs Plymouth
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:58 am

Tyler Walker.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:00 am

In more recent years you’d have to say Walker. Ben Whiteman was excellent as well.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby DURHAM STAG » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:04 am

Duncan McKenzie is the most talented player I have ever seen play for the Stags. We actually had him on loan twice, once at the end of the 69-70 season in a swap with Dave Hollins, and secondly during the 72-73 season when he played so well that Forest recalled him and inadvertently scuppered our promotion hopes that season.

Leaving him aside, how about Rod Arnold. If memory serves right, we tried to buy him at the end of the loan, Wolves refused but we got him back on a free transfer. Kevin Hitchcock also came on loan initially.
DURHAM STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:06 am

DURHAM STAG wrote:Duncan McKenzie is the most talented player I have ever seen play for the Stags. We actually had him on loan twice, once at the end of the 69-70 season in a swap with Dave Hollins, and secondly during the 72-73 season when he played so well that Forest recalled him and inadvertently scuppered our promotion hopes that season.

Leaving him aside, how about Rod Arnold. If memory serves right, we tried to buy him at the end of the loan, Wolves refused but we got him back on a free transfer. Kevin Hitchcock also came on loan initially.

Memory is better than mine Durham. I knew we had him twice but would never have put them so far apart. Great update mate
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Stockportstag » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:09 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:For me it was when we had the brilliant Duncan McKenzie around 1971 or 72 from Forest.

Totally agree. No one else comes glose
Stockportstag
First Team
First Team

Postby oldnic » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:11 am

We had a lad, Carter from Bolton, cant remember the years, skilful, but Mckenzie special
oldnic
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Chris M » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:23 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:Didn't see McKenzie. Impact wise O'Neill Donaldson and Adam Murray

I remember Mike Carter from Bolton, he was good too, scored a fantastic goal vs Plymouth

My choice too. Did not see McKenzie, but Mike Carter was a fantastic player. Such a shame that we did not sign O'Neil Donaldson permanently. For his all round contribution to our club probably have to say that Muzza was our best ever loan signing in my time watching the Stags. Adam always gave his all for Mansfield Town, he even came in on a Sunday to clear snow from the pitch prior to a game against Nuneaton then went out and gave a man of match performance.
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:26 am

Billy the fish wrote:Off the top of my head O’Neil Donaldson couldn’t stop scoring for us .

‘Deadly’ Donaldson we called him if I remember correctly. We were going to sign him but he scored so many goals (6 in 4 games) he ended up going to Wednesday instead for 50k.

Unfortunately for him he only scored 6 more goals in the rest of his league career.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Thoresby_68 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:27 am

Don O'Riordan who we had on loan from Notts County in the late 80s was absolute class. Played the old sweeper role and never put a foot wrong. Was gutted when County pulled him back as he wanted to sign for us.
Thoresby_68
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:39 am

From my view, the loan signings of my youth appeared to be people who were more able to impact on a team - up to Whiteman and Walker recent loans have been more run of the mill than the great successes i remember. But i suspect that it is a case of rosy tinted specs
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:41 am

Duncan McKenzie. No brainer.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:44 am

Rod arnold ,we had him on loan at first ,then signed him permanently ,didn't turn out too bad
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:44 am

Duncan McKenzie next daft question
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:50 am

Thoresby_68 wrote:Don O'Riordan who we had on loan from Notts County in the late 80s was absolute class. Played the old sweeper role and never put a foot wrong. Was gutted when County pulled him back as he wanted to sign for us.

Don was total class, he could pass a ball from the full back position and put it on the foot of our wingers over 60 yards away.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:10 pm

Adam Murray, we wouldn't have gone up without him.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:51 pm

I don't think this is a daft question at all; the responses reflect different generational perspectives which makes for interesting reading.

My dad always said Duncan McKenzie was fantastic but I never saw him play. In more recent times, I think we forget that Matt Green was initially a loan from Oxford (!) A couple of more obscure ones that I was also impressed by were Lewis Price and then Martin Gritton from Torquay (along with Barry Conlon ) did a lot to help us stay up the year that Barker was acrimoniously shipped out.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby DazMondo » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:13 pm

Duncan Mckenzie obviously

Since then 'Deadly Donaldson' oh boy, he was a proper impact loan. Shame Andy King was too busy smoking his cigars in the Red pub. O'Neil Donaldson may have gone down in the Legend status...

After that well, Murrays endeavour and commitment was effective.
Why do the two football teams I support always let me down.
DazMondo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sneag » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:18 pm

DazMondo wrote:Duncan Mckenzie obviously

Since then 'Deadly Donaldson' oh boy, he was a proper impact loan. Shame Andy King was too busy smoking his cigars in the Red pub. O'Neil Donaldson may have gone down in the Legend status...

Murray's 7 goals were pretty handy too.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby DazMondo » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:26 pm

Sneag wrote:
DazMondo wrote:Duncan Mckenzie obviously

Murray's 7 goals were pretty handy too.

That's correct, though he often took the game by the scruff of the neck and drove us on to promotion that made him a very good loan signing for me
Why do the two football teams I support always let me down.
DazMondo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Stag007 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:34 pm

The same season we had Murray from Derby we had a young winger from Leicester, Matt Piper for a few months. He stood out for me. Shame injuries ended his career prematurely. Also Jorge Grant's first few outings were something special too, shame it fizzled out so spectacularly.
Stag007
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby NorthLondonStag » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:48 pm

Ian Juryeff was good for a few games from Southampton. I believe he later said that one of his goals for the Stags was the best of his career.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum