{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

out his depth

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: out his depth

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:57 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Keith hill would kick this lot up the backside and get them organised

He’s going Bolton
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:03 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
stag861 wrote:Pre season we seemed to have a plan A & a plan B, one more than DF. Unfortunately neither seems to work as the defence seems confused.

Don't forget Flitcroft had Diamond, Anderson, Butcher, Atkinson and other players he didn't want taking up his budget and still nearly got us there. I respect JR's decision but imagine this squad plus those extra players DF would of wanted.

Lincoln missed out the other year and stuck with their manager, added what they needed and went up were doing a county at the minute.

I totally agree. Added to that, Lincoln are currently light years ahead of us.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sheffieldstag » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:08 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
stag861 wrote:Pre season we seemed to have a plan A & a plan B, one more than DF. Unfortunately neither seems to work as the defence seems confused.

Don't forget Flitcroft had Diamond, Anderson, Butcher, Atkinson and other players he didn't want taking up his budget and still nearly got us there. I respect JR's decision but imagine this squad plus those extra players DF would of wanted.

Lincoln missed out the other year and stuck with their manager, added what they needed and went up were doing a county at the minute.

I totally agree. Added to that, Lincoln are currently light years ahead of us.

I always believe that you should give a manager time and build a squad. We should have given Flitcroft more time but didn't. We should give Dempster time now to show what he can/can't do.
Sheffieldstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:11 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:Keith hill would kick this lot up the backside and get them organised

He’s going Bolton

Oh not heard about that, he'll do well there over time
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:22 pm

I thought Kevin Nolan was going to Bolton?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:28 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:

He’s going Bolton

I just saw Alan Nixon tweet about it, he’s usually reliable.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:51 pm

What's the mantra on here. Oh yes, patience. Give him another ten years and he'll have us challenging ,not.
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Jamie » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:53 pm

Flitcroft assistant to Hill at Bolton...
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:57 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:

He’s going Bolton

I just saw Alan Nixon tweet about it, he’s usually reliable.

I looked like Nolan was in line for Bolton job (Sky pundit today)
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby thefamilyvontrapp » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:03 pm

It’s a really tough one this... I think we all knew that JD has/had a very slim chance of success in his appointment.. the problem with lower league football is that none of the players will ever play for the love of Mansfield Town.. they are only interested in what (little) money they can get...
Once a relatively new manager comes in with no big credentials from their career, the players soon lose interest with what the new manager has to say because they don’t see any proof of reliability of what he says..!!
The players will just do what they think is enough in training and the games played to (just) get their selves on the first 11 sheet...

I think now it is just a matter of time before the powers that be decide to pull the plug!!
thefamilyvontrapp
First Team
First Team

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:07 pm

thefamilyvontrapp wrote:It’s a really tough one this... I think we all knew that JD has/had a very slim chance of success in his appointment.. the problem with lower league football is that none of the players will ever play for the love of Mansfield Town.. they are only interested in what (little) money they can get...
Once a relatively new manager comes in with no big credentials from their career, the players soon lose interest with what the new manager has to say because they don’t see any proof of reliability of what he says..!!
The players will just do what they think is enough in training and the games played to (just) get their selves on the first 11 sheet...

I think now it is just a matter of time before the powers that be decide to pull the plug!!

I said this week's ago regarding the lack of credentials to take seasoned pros forward with him and got told rubbish......thank God there's at least two of us Von Trapp
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby WVStag » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:11 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
thefamilyvontrapp wrote:It’s a really tough one this... I think we all knew that JD has/had a very slim chance of success in his appointment.. the problem with lower league football is that none of the players will ever play for the love of Mansfield Town.. they are only interested in what (little) money they can get...

I said this week's ago regarding the lack of credentials to take seasoned pros forward with him and got told rubbish......thank God there's at least two of us Von Trapp

3 of us Chris. I was met with a reply of 'only on Stagsnet would you read such rubbish'... Which aged well.

However it does seem that people are slowly waking up to the realisation that JD is, as this thread is named, out of his depth. But it's not fans that need to wake up- it's Radford.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:12 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:

I’m persuaded by your logic.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:13 pm

Some rookie managers smash it, some don't. They all start somewhere & there's no way of knowing how they'll turn out until they've had a proper crack at the job.

To assume a rookie will fail simply because the are a rookie is a stupid assumption.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:29 pm

We're under pressure as a club, but the real pressure is on JR. It's his money and investment on the line. We're in real danger of a relegation battle with Dempster in charge. The next appointment needs to be meticulous and precise. We need an experienced drill sergeant.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:42 pm

As I said in a previous thread, if we fail to get promoted this season, we will part company with most of the squad and God knows how long it will take us to get back to the level of expectation we’ve had for the last three seasons.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:29 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:As I said in a previous thread, if we fail to get promoted this season, we will part company with most of the squad and God knows how long it will take us to get back to the level of expectation we’ve had for the last three seasons.

I’m starting to wonder if it would hurt losing half this squad. They’ve failed on numerous occasions. I don’t know if it’s the players, managers or both. On paper we have a talented squad, but in reality it’s very rarely worth the entrance fee. The midfield is dire!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:54 pm

Is Keith Hill available still he may as well come in now and have a good run rather being the fire brigade later
Agree love JR and CR to bits but they have dropped a clanger with JD we are going nowhere this season and the table tells u that
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:06 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:

We're under pressure as a club, but the real pressure is on JR. It's his money and investment on the line. We're in real danger of a relegation battle with Dempster in charge. The next appointment needs to be meticulous and precise. We need an experienced drill sergeant.

He’s just left Bolton!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:15 pm

There is simply no one now defending JD and it's almost universal that he has lost the overwhelming majority of fans posting here. The club need to make the brave decision and appoint someone who can still not only change the mentality of this team but still give us a chance to go up this season. I fail to understand those fans who see this season under JD as acceptable to be consolidation. We need to go up this year otherwise come next summer we start a rebuild.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:33 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:As I said in a previous thread, if we fail to get promoted this season, we will part company with most of the squad and God knows how long it will take us to get back to the level of expectation we’ve had for the last three seasons.

I’m starting to wonder if it would hurt losing half this squad. They’ve failed on numerous occasions. I don’t know if it’s the players, managers or both. On paper we have a talented squad, but in reality it’s very rarely worth the entrance fee. The midfield is dire!!!

As I have said before, in fact many times, last season was our highest league position since 2004. It was a very, very poor decision to remove the manager which contrary to the denials of the Flitcroft Out brigade was due, in part, to the pressure put on the owners on social media. For the upteenth time I will repeat that we will get nowhere by changing a manager every 12 months, but changing every 3 months, that will get us somewhere, no doubt about it, we will end up like County, large wage budget and in the Conference.

So the dilemma is, do we listen to the nutjobs who want a manager sacked after every defeat and want him knighted after every win, or do we remain level headed. I think JR is the best thing that has ever happened to our club, but I think whoever is advising him on football matters needs the bullet.

As for JD, I predicted in the summer we'd be mid table, you change a manager, you have to accept it takes time for him and his players to gel - only someone who knows the square root of cockall about football would think that changing a manager brings instant success - particularly at our level. So JR should absolutely not listen to the FB/Twatter/Instagram morons, but should seek advice from someone like Dearden who knows football. For now, time will tell if JD is the man or not, but to even think 6 games is enough to make that sort of decision is just mental. The DF Out brigade are now the JD Out brigade, once they get their wish they will soon be "insert new manager initials here" out brigade - it must be sad being them.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:54 pm

Rob wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

As I have said before, in fact many times, last season was our highest league position since 2004. It was a very, very poor decision to remove the manager which contrary to the denials of the Flitcroft Out brigade was due, in part, to the pressure put on the owners on social media. For the upteenth time I will repeat that we will get nowhere by changing a manager every 12 months, but changing every 3 months, that will get us somewhere, no doubt about it, we will end up like County, large wage budget and in the Conference.

So the dilemma is, do we listen to the nutjobs who want a manager sacked after every defeat and want him knighted after every win, or do we remain level headed. I think JR is the best thing that has ever happened to our club, but I think whoever is advising him on football matters needs the bullet.

As for JD, I predicted in the summer we'd be mid table, you change a manager, you have to accept it takes time for him and his players to gel - only someone who knows the square root of cockall about football would think that changing a manager brings instant success - particularly at our level. So JR should absolutely not listen to the FB/Twatter/Instagram morons, but should seek advice from someone like Dearden who knows football. For now, time will tell if JD is the man or not, but to even think 6 games is enough to make that sort of decision is just mental. The DF Out brigade are now the JD Out brigade, once they get their wish they will soon be "insert new manager initials here" out brigade - it must be sad being them.

We wouldn't be changing every three months. We would be changing this time after three months, for the first time in over ten years.

You seem to be missing the point with your DF goggles, that whether you believe it was right or wrong, Radford sacked him for not achieving promotion. So is he really going to stick with a manager, after a quarter or a third of the season, if we are not in/or around the top 7 at least and not showing any signs of progress on the field? I think not.

Also, you'll never know how we would be doing under DF this season, so don't torture yourself thinking about it.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:55 am

Rob wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

In every business or occupation owners or Directors make appointments for their own or collective reasons that sometimes work, sometimes don't, and that leave others wondering what is going on until star quality is unveiled or the vehicle crashes and burns. You don't leave a rookie chef in a kitchen when the customers are going down with food poisoning or a rookie transport manager in place when he's bought the road system to chaos or standstill. The sign of good top level management is that the owners or Directors recognise that a mistake has been made and take steps to rectify it before things totally crumble or fall apart.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:14 am

Really want John Dempster to succeed but fear it’s all going down the pan.
Huge decision for John and Carolyn to make soon. Even bigger than the one made in the summer Hope they get it right this time !
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:48 am

Whilst it's open to question how many of the fans support his appointment, it seems clearer to me that he doesn't command the respect of the players . That's only going to end one way . In one of the only ways we can judge in terms of listening to his views, his interviews are just about the most uninspiring of any manager we have had in the last 40 years ( and there are a few at the bottom of that barrel) I don't think it's just the results , it's the whole mentality around the club. There's a negative vibe that's hard to put your finger on . I think by game 10 the owners will have a decision to make .
victor A block
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum