{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Carlisle scorefred sponsored by Canopy Spotters Club

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Carlisle scorefred sponsored by Canopy Spotters Club

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:05 pm

352 white CB Gordon RWB?

Bish Tomlinson Macca ahead of them...

concede after 12 minutes...
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:05 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Hamilton benched, some will be buzzing about that. What's the formation?

Will be the usual back 3, wingbacks and 3 in the middle.

CJ deserves to be benched.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:06 pm

Stags' boss John Dempster has made two changes to the side that faced Morecambe in Sky Bet League Two for this afternoon's match against Carlisle.

Defender Matt Preston, who is suspended for today's game, is replaced by Hayden White.

Winger CJ Hamilton starts today's match on the bench, and is replaced by Willem Tomlinson.

Striker Andy Cook misses out on the clash at Brunton Park due to a knock he picked up in midweek, during our Carabao Cup fixture with Morecambe.

STAGS' XI: Logan (GK), White, Pearce, Sweeney, Gordon, Bishop, Tomlinson, MacDonald, Benning, Rose, Maynard.

SUBS: Stone (GK), Khan, Clarke, Hamilton, Sterling-James, Law, Smith.
Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:07 pm

Well what an utterly uninspiring team.

We'll prob win 3-0 with it... :lol:
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:08 pm

4-1
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:10 pm

Jeez, I can remember the last time those three started in the middle, we scored a fluke from a corner then created 0 chances and 0 shots!!!!!!!
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:10 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:God that team doesn’t inspire. Hopefully I’ll be proved wrong.

My thought seeing that was it puts pressure on Khan (when he comes on) and Gordon to get crosses into the two strikers. Tomlinson needs to refind his spring form where he cut several defences apart with precision balls and McDonald needs to hit simple passes not hollywood ones.

There is the nugget of something good here in the absence of 3 suspended players they just need to back it up on the field
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:12 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:God that team doesn’t inspire. Hopefully I’ll be proved wrong.

My thought seeing that was it puts pressure on Khan and Gordon to get crosses into the two strikers. Tomlinson needs to refind his spring form where he cut several defences apart with precision balls and McDonald needs to hit simple passes not hollywood ones.

There is the nugget of something good here in the absence of 3 suspended players they just need to back it up on the field

Khan our best player so far is not playing!!!!!
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:13 pm

I suspect 3-5-2.
Whute at CB and I assume one of Macca tomlinson and Bishop to be being the front 2. Likely MacDonald. However I can see this being very defensive with Rose and Maynard being isolated.

Alternatively Gordon can play right wing as well so could be 4-4-2, who gets to play left wing though is anyone's guess, probably Macca but Khan would have been a better starter over Macca (in any case in my opinion), then we could easily swap to 4-4-2 at any point. As it stands we need to make a sub to change it up. Or weaken ourselves with players out of position.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:13 pm

Workman-like midfield, not much quality or creativity. Might be a case that we try to keep it tight to 70 mind then chuck CJ and Kahn on.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:15 pm

gazza1988 wrote:I suspect 3-5-2.
Whute at CB and I assume one of Macca tomlinson and Bishop to be being the front 2. Likely MacDonald. However I can see this being very defensive with Rose and Maynard being isolated.

Alternatively Gordon can play right wing as well so could be 4-4-2, who gets to play left wing though is anyone's guess, probably Macca but Khan would have been a better starter over Macca (in any case in my opinion), then we could easily swap to 4-4-2 at any point. As it stands we need to make a sub to change it up. Or weaken ourselves with players out of position.

However you look at it, it is a dreadful midfield and a right back at CH when there's no need.
JD is already proving very uninspiring
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:16 pm

Khan must be wondering what he has to do.....
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:20 pm

Cook is out for 3-4 weeks with a knee injury.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:23 pm

It's the same midfield three that won 4-1 away at Exeter. No CJ up front though to cause havoc with his pace.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:24 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:Cook is out for 3-4 weeks with a knee injury.

Who cares, he'd get no ammo anyway.
Nicky Maynard must be thinking what the chuff he's done, from Adams and the silky Mayor supplying him to Hot Potato Tomlinson and Hook it McDonald
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:27 pm

Khan is the only surprise to me. Just because the site states that this player has been replaced by that player it doesn't necessarily mean for the same position. White could play at right back in a back four or right in a back three. Looks a strong side to me. Players could be dropped for tactical reasons. Anyway, a win would be nice. God help us if we lose. I've already taken myself of the stags Facebook page.
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:28 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:

Nicky Maynard must be thinking what the chuff he's done, from Adams and the silky Mayor supplying him to Hot Potato Tomlinson and Hook it McDonald

Was just thinking the same thing regarding Maynard - add to that list Jay O’Shea too. Dempster leaving out our most creative player in Khan just because we’re away from home is incredibly timid. Has a team ever got promoted with such a negative mindset when playing away from home?
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:29 pm

tmwilson wrote:Khan is the only surprise to me. Just because the site states that this player has been replaced by that player it doesn't necessarily mean for the same position. White could play at right back in a back four or right in a back three. Looks a strong side to me. Players could be dropped for tactical reasons. Anyway, a win would be nice. God help us if we lose. I've already taken myself of the stags Facebook page.

Strong in what way?
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:44 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

Was just thinking the same thing regarding Maynard - add to that list Jay O’Shea too. Dempster leaving out our most creative player in Khan just because we’re away from home is incredibly timid. Has a team ever got promoted with such a negative mindset when playing away from home?

Agreed, Successful teams are positive and go for the win. This team suggests we are trying to keep things tight and nick a point at best but we’ll see how it pans out. Got to say I was disappointed when the team came out to not see at least one of Khan or CJ.

Rubbish news about Cook.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:46 pm

I think it's perfectly acceptable to keep it tight early on considering how our other games have gone this season, I think it's set out to win the game but not concede two early on.

Watch it happen now, again.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:48 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

Agreed, Successful teams are positive and go for the win. This team suggests we are trying to keep things tight and nick a point at best but we’ll see how it pans out. Got to say I was disappointed when the team came out to not see at least one of Khan or CJ.

Rubbish news about Cook.

Dempster told you at the pre season meets, it'll be negative away from home I think he's gone double negative!!!
Last edited by Parkinsons Perm on Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:54 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:

My thought seeing that was it puts pressure on Khan and Gordon to get crosses into the two strikers. Tomlinson needs to refind his spring form where he cut several defences apart with precision balls and McDonald needs to hit simple passes not hollywood ones.

Khan our best player so far is not playing!!!!!

This. Hope JD gets it right.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:55 pm

tmwilson wrote:Khan is the only surprise to me. Just because the site states that this player has been replaced by that player it doesn't necessarily mean for the same position. White could play at right back in a back four or right in a back three. Looks a strong side to me. Players could be dropped for tactical reasons. Anyway, a win would be nice. God help us if we lose. I've already taken myself of the stags Facebook page.

Carlisle did a fantastic job on us away last season. They physically targeted our midfield putting Mellis out of playing effectively with a horribly robust challenge (one of many) and then Grainger got in Bish's head leading to the stupid sending.
I am sure Khan will be brought on to cause problems, i only hope the score isn't an issue by then
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:15 pm

As for the penalty shout for Carlisle . Pearce has a good grab on loft. Looks like Pearce wrestled him to the ground. The problem is hayden White was under him as well. Also it was Pearce poor touch that allowed Carlisle to break and won the corner.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:22 pm

Carlisle keeping possession in their own half. Macca is in behind the front 2. We are playing long ball quite offen.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum