{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Match Day Experience

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Match Day Experience

Postby Field Mill » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:45 pm

The club is unrecognizable from what went before and huge praise is due to the Radfords. But. Today showed yet again what still needs to be done. Plenty. At the Stevenage game last season, I witnessed a fan, attending his first ever game, in a wheelchair, being told he had to go outside the SPB as he was blocking the corridor. He couldn't be in the bar itself as it was solid. Well, it wasn't really, but half the bar was roped off. 'Reserved' So he, and I went outside in the rain. Today, I arrived at ten to two and waited 25 minutes to collect my pre booked tickets. I waited another twenty to get a pint in the newly refurbished SPB. Again, half of the bar is 'Reserved '. In a supporters bar. Not a Corporate area, a supporters bar. An outside bar did zero to address the issues at it was uncovered and had a huge queue pre match and nil customers at half time.
So much has been achieved but there is a huge amount to do to challenge the ridiculously poor status quo.
Field Mill
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Match Day Experience

Postby Rob » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:37 pm

I blame Logan, 100 %
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:41 pm

Rob wrote:I blame Logan, 100 %

The only experience I want is that winning feeling, so he could be blamed :lol: :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:05 am

Definitely improvements to be made. Our fanbase is outgrowing the facilities we have currently.

I waited 20 minutes for my pre booked ticket today and then 15 minutes for half time refreshments despite going down 10 minutes before half time.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby adsstag » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:07 am

The match day experience is much better today but as someone says above ‘improvements still to made’

Now we are working on a fan zone with an extra bar outside, the area does need more toilets,

Get a local band in or get a speaker(ex pro or injured / suspended player)

Something for the kids - bouncy castle / target practice /

Then for me it makes the match day experience complete.
adsstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby SpiriteStag » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:04 am

Can I raise the issue of the second-rate scoreboard? It was obviously a very bad purchase, out of date, very poor resolution and always many cells or sections not working. It's totally embarrassingly bad!

For the match day experience a new modern scoreboard would improve things greatly.
SpiriteStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:25 am

The priorities are the actual visiting experience of the fans
There was one kiosk open in the IGU Quarry Lane end for the first home game. It was staffed by entirely young and new staff including girl who spent most of the time fanning herself and complaining about being too hot.
No-one in their appears to have any experience or training and serving took ages.
The toilets are grim up there with walking through urine a regular occurence.

Whilst the board is not great, it doesn't make my shoes smell of wee
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:19 am

First world problems.

North Stand bogs. That’s a poor match day experience.

Do you want a fluffer to sort your cushion out too ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:29 am

Aye but when you were ankle deep in piss in the North Stand bogs you hadn't just paid £25 for the privilege.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:37 am

Sneag wrote:Aye but when you were ankle deep in piss in the North Stand bogs you hadn't just paid £25 for the privilege.

Be interested in the real cost of entrance those days compared to now. Bet it’s not far off comparatively

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:12 am

bellwhiff wrote:First world problems.

North Stand bogs. That’s a poor match day experience.

Do you want a fluffer to sort your cushion out too ?

I don't think it is unreasonable when my club is charging top notch prices to provide even a passable customer experience.
I don't think it is too much to expect, having spent a large amount of money on season tickets, to be served before the end of half time and not to have to walk through pee.
In terms of the first world problems comment, surely no commercial entity is going to aim for a 2nd or 3rd world customer experience or is that what you were suggesting? I have been a fan since childhood so this is my club for life. Nowadays kids change clubs like their pants and don't always look locally. If they took up one if the cheap ticket offers would they come back? That is the most important question
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:33 am

Kids are going to drop the team because they’re made to queue for a pasty ?
I’m not saying that they couldn’t get better but I think that the club has come a long way yet there’s still whining and dripping over pretty daft things.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:57 am

bellwhiff wrote:Kids are going to drop the team because they’re made to queue for a pasty ?
I’m not saying that they couldn’t get better but I think that the club has come a long way yet there’s still whining and dripping over pretty daft things.

No but parents or grandparents taking them who don't follow football might he put off but the urine all over the floir in the loos.
So whining or dripping or concerns for a club that we love? Ultimately, it comes down to whether you like to find an angle in every thread to snipe at other posters.
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:02 pm

Not at all. I’m saying that it is unrealistic to expect the club to keep the toilets clean when literally thousands are using them in a short space of time.
I’m saying that the whining just first world problems. It’s a football game, not the circle at the Palladium.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:04 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:Kids are going to drop the team because they’re made to queue for a pasty ?

No but parents or grandparents taking them who don't follow football might he put off but the urine all over the floir in the loos.
So whining or dripping or concerns for a club that we love? Ultimately, it comes down to whether you like to find an angle in every thread to snipe at other posters.

Don’t deny him his sniping. He’d be completely flummoxed :)
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:29 pm

bellwhiff wrote:Not at all. I’m saying that it is unrealistic to expect the club to keep the toilets clean when literally thousands are using them in a short space of time.
I’m saying that the whining just first world problems. It’s a football game, not the circle at the Palladium.

So why invest in a kids area, autism friendly room, do up the different bars and suites? Surely it is because the club is trying to encourage more fans to come, enjoy the experience, spend money and return. Sorting these problems are not huge and will make the match day experience more enjoyable creating a sustained supporter base which is what the club needs
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:38 pm

bellwhiff wrote:Not at all. I’m saying that it is unrealistic to expect the club to keep the toilets clean when literally thousands are using them in a short space of time.

So why invest in a kids area, autism friendly room, do up the different bars and suites? Surely it is because the club is trying to encourage more fans to come, enjoy the experience, spend money and return. Sorting these problems are not huge and will make the match day experience more enjoyable creating a sustained supporter base which is what the club needs

And all those things are massive positives. But that’s not the same as piss on the floor in the toilets.
Maybe the fault lies with those who can’t hit the target

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:16 pm

bellwhiff wrote:

And all those things are massive positives. But that’s not the same as piss on the floor in the toilets.
Maybe the fault lies with those who can’t hit the target

Not me! I do mine into a bottle!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:40 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Sneag wrote:Aye but when you were ankle deep in piss in the North Stand bogs you hadn't just paid £25 for the privilege.

Be interested in the real cost of entrance those days compared to now. Bet it’s not far off comparatively

It's actually pretty outrageous.

It was around 1980 when adult entry at Stags hit the £1 mark. Allowing for an average inflation rate of 3.78% per year that adult ticket should cost £4.25!

Even worse. Remember how outraged we all were when Uncle Keith put the price up from £6 to £8 in 1992? Well that £8 ticket allowing for inflation should be £16.42.

It's a wonder anyone goes to football at all.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Field Mill » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:41 pm

Can't believe the town has a Tory MP. With all these humble citizens doffing their caps to their betters and putting up with anything... Oh, wait.
Field Mill
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:53 pm

Sneag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

It was around 1980 when adult entry at Stags hit the £1 mark. Allowing for an average inflation rate of 3.78% per year that adult ticket should cost £4.25!

Even worse. Remember how outraged we all were when Uncle Keith put the price up from £6 to £8 in 1992? Well that £8 ticket allowing for inflation should be £16.42.

A pound in 1980 ? Are you sure ?

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:27 pm

There is a ticket stub on eBay from 1974/5

The entrance fee that year was 65p (West stand seating)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Match-Ticket ... Swqmhb5cT0

An RPI calculator indicates that 65p in 1974 is equal to £5.12 in today’s money :shock:
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:37 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Sneag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

A pound in 1980 ? Are you sure ?

Yep.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:53 pm

I've found a newspaper cutting on the Sunderland website giving all the prices for 80/81 season.

Stags in 4th division charging £1.40 for a terrace ticket £2 for a seat and £36 for a season ticket. Incredibly Man City & Middlesbro in Div 1 were cheaper.

£1.40 in 1980 equates to £5.95 or £8.50 for a seat in 2019.

I'll try & post it when I work out how .
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:57 pm

mEEJKQ
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum