{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Is it too early to worry?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Is it too early to worry?

Postby The One » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:38 pm

Worried no, concerned yes.

My take is Dempsters appointment was rushed, Everyone hurt after missing promotion, time should have been taken re new manager.

It may be me but there is no buzz like the previous two season starts, with the exception of Maynard signing and he is an excellent acquisition.

Pre season was poor, the Portugal trip a waste of time in my opinion, and the we played under 23 teams when last season we were challenged by good opposition.

Re the Logan criticism. he has a mistake in him every game some costly some not. For him to return for training carrying weight is unprofessional and he should sort it, not just the club.

I do not feel confident at all, appointing ex player rookie manager takes me back to Murray who almost took us back to the pit of misery. Feel a mistake as been made but hope I am wrong.

We need a win and settled team with players in their natural positions, only then will confidence from the fans return.

The feelings on this site are mixed and all entitled to an opinion, the longer this goes on with bad goalkeeping, defensive errors the worse it will get. We need the buzz back.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:51 pm

I was at Oldham,Northampton,port vale,MK dons and all the home games and dreaded play offs..plus went to Portugal and I must agree things have gone flat . The last time I saw us win was home to Cheltenham I think...I wasn’t happy when flitcroft was sacked but it’s JRs club and I support the stags always and will do John Dempster and found him very decent when talking to him . Reading all the opinions on here have left me feeling that we don’t seem united like the last 18 months..
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:55 pm

Big big gamble by JR appointing JD my take on this is that he thought instead of wasting money again on probably paying compensation for another manager Aka Flitcroft and Swindon he would throw that money at the Squad . On paper we have the players but a rookie manager in charge which for me is like buying a formula 1 car and asking the bus driver to achieve a podium finish .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:23 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:I'll attempt a bit of perspective. League results wise. Last season we beat Newport convincingly 1st game of the season, we then drew the next 4 games (granted we did demolish the previous seasons champions 6-1 in the cup). To suggest we may as well give up now is far off the mark.

The main difference is we created bucket loads of chances in those games we drew. I don't feel we are creating the same number of opportunities.

The only concern I have is the shoehorning of players. If there is no option then do it. With Gordon and Clarke able at RWB then CJ Hamilton should be nowhere near that position. If we have 2 available CB then it's a back 4 or Gibbens in as well in a 3. Turner came in because it was obvious we would need cover there, he hasn't been replaced.

With the squad we have we should not be having to play so many players out of position this early in the season. Unless it's something we are trying to address in the transfer market. Demps has said he's happy with the squad. So why are players out of position?

Exactly Gazza, its like DF has never gone away

Glad we agree on something for a change. Its what killed us off in the end. Macca at RWB. That was inexcusable.... He came as a winger but then spent 2 years playing centre mid then RWB.

When results are good and you're flying and full of confidence you can get away with players out of position. But when results are bad you need players in their natural position doing what they do best. Demps needs to decide each players best position and pick a formation and style and pick the best players for each position and go from there. The only time players should be out of position is if there is nobody else available. At present it's like we are in the middle of an injury crisis, except there's no crisis on that front.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:03 pm

Someone has just told me that CJ was in the side on Tuesday evening. It had escaped my attention. Perhaps I was distracted by the antics of the scoreboard?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:01 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:Someone has just told me that CJ was in the side on Tuesday evening. It had escaped my attention. Perhaps I was distracted by the antics of the scoreboard?

The scoreboard had seen enough and left early. I wish I had to be honest.

CJ looks a different player. Always looking back and less attacking. He looks short on confidence.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:25 am

Common feeling running through many posts now is that JD is decent guy and nobody expected him to be winning every game 3 nil and destroying Morecombe as lower table fodder but we did think we might have a new style of play based on many of the mistakes made by DF and others.
He had a fresh start and good backing with decent signings and when we see what has unfolded its quite tough to take but to get real perspective we are unbeaten and only 3 games in so much more time needed.

He is under a lot of pressure now, more than even before the start of the season and JR and CR do want promotion quite badly followed by us of course.
I think hand on heart but trying to be loyal to JR we all feel he may have appointed too quickly and I have already said I think a more steady and professional head like Keith Hill would have been much better for us to try with the players we have.
I still support JD 100% but we do need some continuity and settled players in settled positions and a JD style of play whatever it is.

I fear a mediocre season on the horizon and perhaps we need this season to sort this long term and right manager issue out once and for all.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:00 am

It is clearly too early to panic. Anything from Brunton Park followed by two good home results and the picture will look far more rosy.
Do I think JD should have been appointed? No
Do I think DF should have been sacked? No
Do I think JR is incapable of making bad decisions? No
Do I think our keeper is good enough? Regrettably No
Do JD, JR and CL have my support? Absolutely Yes
Will this stop me voicing criticism? Definitely No

:coys:
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:46 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
BigGuy wrote:
Gruff wrote:He's still finding his best XI for his tactics.

Isn’t that what pre-season is for? Oh hang on we didn’t really have one of those so have to waste the first half dozen games working on fitness and tactics, not to mention best formation.

Gruff, have you worked his tactics out yet?
Looks like the man himself hasn't, it's been directionless rubbish so far with just as many players out of position than under DF.
Mark my words, JR wants promotion badly and if we've fallen behind in 10 games time then JD will be gone

Best start planning those trips out to Hartlepool & Boreham Wood then chap :shock:
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:03 pm

As many have said, we should be concerned.

We don't seem to play as a unit or have the strong bond that we did for much of last year.

when was the last time we came out of the blocks firing on all cylinders? December 2018?

Why the change, I don't know.

I read players not committed to training, which also worries me.

As for the starting 11, I would either play CJ in his preferred role or drop him.

I would also drop Bishop.

Logan needs JD to come out and publicly back him or also drop him.

Saturday is a huge game for us

COYS
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:17 pm

After last night it is a resounding no, it is not too late to worry.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:32 am

Sorry all but been worried since the moment the appointment was so quickly announced let alone after the lack lustre preseason and everything that's happened since August 3rd
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:35 am

I am Spartacus wrote:After last night it is a resounding no, it is not too late to worry.

"Permission to PANIC Mr Mainwaring" then?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:01 am

Spiritater wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:After last night it is a resounding no, it is not too late to worry.

"Permission to PANIC Mr Mainwaring" then?

Permission granted. Time to don the steel helmets, hide behind the sand bags and shout ‘They don’t like it up them’.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:16 am

What an utter joke of a thread.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:33 pm

bellwhiff wrote:What an utter joke of a thread.

It'll be a great read if we are promoted at the end of the season. Some of the posts on this thread are embarrassing
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:49 pm

bellwhiff wrote:What an utter joke of a thread.
Why. We are already a massive 2 points adrift of top place an only a fragile 4 points away from the dreaded drop.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:22 pm

I wonder why this thread has gone so very quiet. Can any one of you so called ` worriers` please own up to being more of a neurotic than a fan with genuine concerns.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby Sneag » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:27 pm

garlic wrote:I wonder why this thread has gone so very quiet. Can any one of you so called ` worriers` please own up to being more of a neurotic than a fan with genuine concerns.

Worriers...come out to play-yay!!

WORRIERS....COME OUT TO PLAY-EE-AY!!
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:35 pm

Because at the time we'd just failed to beat Morecambe at home, twice. Once needlessly getting man sent off, other time failing to capitalise on having a man advantage for 70 minutes.

That's why Bella. Are we not allowed opinions at the time, or should we all wait and ask you for permission to think.

If we lose to Orient, I'm guessing same questions will be asked. If we win, then fantastic.

We've had a win and we're all happy, apart from you for some reason.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Uncle » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:38 pm

/quote]

Worriers...come out to play-yay!!

WORRIERS....COME OUT TO PLAY-EE-AY!![/quote]
Brilliant.
Uncle
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:07 pm

So now we've got 1 win in 5 games this season.

we've failed to beat Morecambe at home, twice. Once needlessly getting man sent off, other time failing to capitalise on having a man advantage for 70 minutes.

Now we have snatched a defeat from a pedestrian Orient side after being 2 up at half time.

The positive was that we were undefeated and had a platform for momentum. Not anymore.

I'm beginning to worry again.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby NG17_stag » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:21 pm

This time last year: played 4, won 1, drawn 3.
One year on: played 4, won 1, drawn 2, lost 1.
We’ve gone backwards, but win Saturday and we’re ahead of where we were this time last year.
NG17_stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum