{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stewarding last night

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stewarding last night

Postby part time pete » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:43 pm

Complete shambles.

On who’s orders was it that an 85year old was initially being prevented to sit in his ticketed number seat in the upper west stand. In the end said supporter just ignored steward and sat in his numbered seat anyway.

Something about seat blocks above the Morecambe supporters being keep empty to stop things being thrown down on them.

Ridiculous if true.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Re: Stewarding last night

Postby DAVE H » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:28 pm

I booked 5 tickets for west stand upper block L, when we went to our seats someone was sat in them and refused to move ,they said steward told them it was unreserved seating and you can sit were you want ,when I challenged steward about this he said to sit were we can he cant do anything about it .whats point in choosing your seats in advance may as well say unreserved seating on ticket
DAVE H
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Stoney » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:35 pm

Shurrup whinging Hibberd
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:41 pm

If the seating is reserved then surely it’s reserved. End of. If I booked 5 tickets for me and the family to watch and I reserved 5 seats then I would expect those 5 seats to be available to me. I’ve spent the best part of a hundred quid to sit together and I would expect that. I can’t see that this is a difficult concept.
As the reserved bit is part of the reason you are paying for it.

You wouldn’t turn up to a theatre or a test match and expect random seating on a first come first served basis. It’s sinple customer service.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby oldweststander » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:28 pm

Ordered by a steward on Saturday, "don't lean on the backs of the seats" says it all really.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:00 pm

I don’t believe any other club at our level could make such a hash of handling a crowd of this size.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:02 pm

And absolute silence from the club
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:05 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:And absolute silence from the club

Were any of the directors at the ground last night?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:24 pm

All the problems started because of the decision to close the north stand and put the Morecambe fans in the end block of the lower west stand.

Someone then made the decision that blocks of seats must be empty between the away and home fans even though tickets had already been sold for these ‘empty’ blocks.

Brewery and p is s up come to mind.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:46 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:

Were any of the directors at the ground last night?

No one important from a matchday perspective just the stadium director Paul Broughton :lol: in the director's boss on his phone as it all unfolded behind him.

My summary was this.

Decision was made in advance to close blocks based on tickets sold. Probably the right decision in fairness at that time.

Sun came out and was a decent summer evening.

People decided last minute (myself included) to go to the game.

No one kept an eye on the sudden influx of ticket sales.

Chaos ensues in the typical Mansfield town way.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm

Only at Mansfield could there be chaos in a sub 2000 crowd
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:56 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:Only at Mansfield could there be chaos in a sub 2000 crowd

Only at Mansfield would they try to squeeze 1800 fans through 2 turnstiles at the last minute. Messing up seating arrangements and confusing everyone without doing anything pro active to help.

I asked one of the stewards why one of the 10 of them (all stood around doing nothing) wasn't telling fans what was happening as they arrived. Lots of people, myself included, walked past the huge queue and up to the north end turnstiles, only to walk right back again with no idea what was going on. The response was a shrug of the shoulders. How hard is it for the powers that be to think about what is likely to happen and do something simple and curtious to assist fans.

All that nonsense and for what? To save a few quid somehow? Away fans still entered via the NS, there were still stewards in the NS all game doing nothing. I dont get it or what it achieved other than to piss everyone off.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:00 am

They closed the catering booth in the IGU (north side) but nobody told the kids staffing it. They had the shutter up, and were stood looking befuddled in their tabbards, with not a pie or sausage roll in sight!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:34 am

I’m not sure of your point. Have you made a complaint ?
Do you think the Directors comb through here looking for issues ?

Oh dear.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:41 am

bellwhiff wrote:

Oh dear.

There were clearly issues and a lack of organisation and cohesion at different levels for the game.

The Club should have been directly aware of that chaos because of their responsibility and come out and explained what happened and why decisions were or were not made contributing to a poor match day experience for some which is surely the last thing they want?
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:13 am

bellwhiff wrote:

Oh dear.

A look out the window at the massive queue for the IGU when the club had sold less than 2,000 tickets should have been all the clue they needed that there was a problem.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby FarnieStag » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:21 am

I've been banging on about for a while now, it seems to me the club really have no respect whatsoever for the fans (or at the very least a smug and probably true realisation that we'll out up with anything)...
Ridiculous no pay-on-the-day turnstile system, match prices rising on the day despite thousands of empty seats, frequently faulty turnstiles, a frosty and rude women seemingly running the ticket office, dreadful incentives for kids to attend stifling the future lifeblood of the club, poor and sometimes aggressive stewards, tea kiosks in Upper West closed on first match of the season, season ticket prices that are dearer than a lot of Championship clubs, very poor online ticket system, and now closing most of the ground for matches they deem unattractive with the predictable chaos. Anything else anyone?
To a degree the club can get away with this if the club are regularly winning matches, but if we're struggling on the pitch the club will begin to reap what they sow. I'll put my tin hat on now and await the inevitable abuse the daring to criticise anything about John Radford's MTFC
FarnieStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby NG17_stag » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:27 am

DAVE H wrote:I booked 5 tickets for west stand upper block L, when we went to our seats someone was sat in them and refused to move ,they said steward told them it was unreserved seating and you can sit were you want ,when I challenged steward about this he said to sit were we can he cant do anything about it .whats point in choosing your seats in advance may as well say unreserved seating on ticket

5,000 empty seats in the home end... just sit on the next row and stop moaning. Nothing worse than those people who come in 1 minute prior to kick off saying “you’re sat in my seat” when there’s 10 other free seats on the same row.
NG17_stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:53 am

NG17_stag wrote:
DAVE H wrote:I booked 5 tickets for west stand upper block L, when we went to our seats someone was sat in them and refused to move ,they said steward told them it was unreserved seating and you can sit were you want ,when I challenged steward about this he said to sit were we can he cant do anything about it .whats point in choosing your seats in advance may as well say unreserved seating on ticket

5,000 empty seats in the home end... just sit on the next row and stop moaning. Nothing worse than those people who come in 1 minute prior to kick off saying “you’re sat in my seat” when there’s 10 other free seats on the same row.

Who made you the seat monitor?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby sw19stag » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:03 am

FarnieStag wrote:I've been banging on about for a while now, it seems to me the club really have no respect whatsoever for the fans (or at the very least a smug and probably true realisation that we'll out up with anything)...
Ridiculous no pay-on-the-day turnstile system, match prices rising on the day despite thousands of empty seats, frequently faulty turnstiles, a frosty and rude women seemingly running the ticket office, dreadful incentives for kids to attend stifling the future lifeblood of the club, poor and sometimes aggressive stewards, tea kiosks in Upper West closed on first match of the season, season ticket prices that are dearer than a lot of Championship clubs, very poor online ticket system, and now closing most of the ground for matches they deem unattractive with the predictable chaos. Anything else anyone?
To a degree the club can get away with this if the club are regularly winning matches, but if we're struggling on the pitch the club will begin to reap what they sow. I'll put my tin hat on now and await the inevitable abuse the daring to criticise anything about John Radford's MTFC

Very valid points.
sw19stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby ironbru » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:09 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
NG17_stag wrote:

Who made you the seat monitor?

That would be a better idea
Lets have monitors to greet us and show us to our seats
ironbru
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby weststander » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:03 pm

That looks like the wife hugging the mother in law
weststander
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Random Hero » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:19 pm

Same shambles different season. I'm not sure why we are shocked anymore.

Get Contactless payments on the gates for crying out loud. It's basic 2019 stuff.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:22 pm

sw19stag wrote:
FarnieStag wrote:I've been banging on about for a while now, it seems to me the club really have no respect whatsoever for the fans (or at the very least a smug and probably true realisation that we'll out up with anything)...

Very valid points.

I agree with every word. The match day experience at Field Mill is diabolical - I'm finding other things to do with my Saturdays on a much more regular basis nowadays. I come away feeling depressed - and its usually nowt to do with the action on the pitch.

Customers are treated like second class citizens time and time again, yet we are expected to 'like it or lump it' through loyalty to the club? No thanks. My tether is firmly at its end, and I suspect many feel the same.
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:41 pm

2015/16 season

2018/19 season

2019/20 season

The club obviously don't care.
Random Hero