{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Dempster interview & Sky Sports highlights

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Dempster interview & Sky Sports highlights

Postby Rob » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:42 am

The red would have been given for violent conduct, if that's violent conduct then we'd have a red card at every corner! It was a silly thing to do, but never a red card and as Martin has said, was awarded as the official thought he stamped on the player, which obviously he didn't. Possibly a yellow for unsportsmanlike, but never violent conduct.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:48 am

Is it a red card for serious foul play? Was Jacob Mellis challenging for the ball?

Serious foul play
A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

If not then must be a red card for violent conduct

Violent conduct
Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.

In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:50 am

Replay of incident...

Whatever the rights and wrongs, there was no need to drop on the guys back.

Lesson No.1 from the Don Revie book of coaching "If you're going to to have a dig, make sure no one sees you"
Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Beyond The Pale » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:07 am

As I said on the match thread, Its a ridiculous red card, & you can see why it was given, especially from a distance as the liner was.

Consider the two that weren’t given to Newport in the playoffs for the last man on Walker & the shocking elbow on Rose. I still can’t believe that wasn’t a red to this day, awful premeditated assault that was.

If yesterday’s officials admit they’ve made a mistake, then surely there’s no reason why it shouldn’t be rescinded. I don’t think we can do without Mellis’ vision & passing.

Also, surely the EFL can also take the Newport player to task over his reaction - he was clearly looking to get Mellis sent off, in which he succeeded.
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:33 am

Rob wrote:The red would have been given for violent conduct, if that's violent conduct then we'd have a red card at every corner! It was a silly thing to do, but never a red card and as Martin has said, was awarded as the official thought he stamped on the player, which obviously he didn't. Possibly a yellow for unsportsmanlike, but never violent conduct.

Get out of town. It was a clear red. He got petulant and dropped his knees on the player on the ground.

Red all day. He should be fined.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:34 am

bellwhiff wrote:
Rob wrote:The red would have been given for violent conduct, if that's violent conduct then we'd have a red card at every corner! It was a silly thing to do, but never a red card and as Martin has said, was awarded as the official thought he stamped on the player, which obviously he didn't. Possibly a yellow for unsportsmanlike, but never violent conduct.

Get out of town. It was a clear red. He got petulant and dropped his knees on the player on the ground.

The more you look at it the worse it gets.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:38 am

Sneag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Stop agreeing with me. It makes me uncomfortable
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:50 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Sneag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Mellis should certainly be awarded the “ Most Stupid Man Of The Match” trophy.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:20 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Sneag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

I know what you mean I just had to go and have a bath in Detol.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:30 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Sneag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Mellis should certainly be awarded the “ Most Stupid Man Of The Match” trophy.

Walker still holds that trophy for flipping the bird at the linesman.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:31 pm

Sneag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Sneag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

I know what you mean I just had to go and have a bath in Detol.

Haven't you got a bath at home? :D :D
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:42 pm

Watched the clip of the sending off about 10 times and i honestly can't believe that's a straight red and 3 match ban!

Bit daft but the incident is pathetic, these are grown men and they're whipping up a frenzy over something as innocuous as that? Not a prayer that hurt him and if he just got up instead of play acting i honestly think nobody would have ever given it a second thought. Surprised so many are certain it's a red but the games gone soft nowadays. I think it's worth appealing, unsurprisingly :lol: .
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:11 pm

Why did Mellis decide to land on the players back with his two knees? The incident itself was soft. Had the referee seen it I don't think he would have given a red. It was probably how the assistant described the incident to him. The Newport number 8 protests are way over the top and he is obviously trying to persuade the assistant that it was a red card offence. He succeeded. At the end of the day, Mellis actions caused him to be sent off. Hopefully he will learn from it. I think it would be a waste of time to appeal. Maybe Khan will get a deserved run of games. Sometimes these incidents can work in your favour.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:11 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Watched the clip of the sending off about 10 times and i honestly can't believe that's a straight red and 3 match ban!

Bit daft but the incident is pathetic, these are grown men and they're whipping up a frenzy over something as innocuous as that? Not a prayer that hurt him and if he just got up instead of play acting i honestly think nobody would have ever given it a second thought. Surprised so many are certain it's a red but the games gone soft nowadays. I think it's worth appealing, unsurprisingly :lol: .

Being a red and being WORTH a red are two different things. Yes it was weak and pathetic and their player deserves an Oscar but it was a clear intentional assault. No point appealing as another game will be added on.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:51 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:Watched the clip of the sending off about 10 times and i honestly can't believe that's a straight red and 3 match ban!

Being a red and being WORTH a red are two different things. Yes it was weak and pathetic and their player deserves an Oscar but it was a clear intentional assault. No point appealing as another game will be added on.

I guess we just have different opinions on what ‘clear intentional assault is’.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:38 pm

Deliberately dropping onto someone's back with both knees is clear and intentional to me.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:46 pm

Looking at it Mellis could have stayed on his feet. He seems to change direction to land knee first on his back. The Newport plays goes to get up and when he realises what's happened turns on the dramatics.

On appeal it would depend on how the authorities view it but there was no harm to the player until he tried to get up and realise a knee was on his back and them started rolling around. Howeverellis does seem to "swerve' himself towards the player. If we can argue that it was a natural path for Mellons to take and the delayed reaction we will have a case om appeal.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:23 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Deliberately dropping onto someone's back with both knees is clear and intentional to me.

I just wouldn’t describe that incident as ‘assault’, sounds a bit excessive when it was next to nothing really. It was just petulance.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:32 pm

More a case of obstructing the lad getting up than violent play, yellow card maybe.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:03 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Deliberately dropping onto someone's back with both knees is clear and intentional to me.

I just wouldn’t describe that incident as ‘assault’, sounds a bit excessive when it was next to nothing really. It was just petulance.

Legal definition of assault - any attempt threat or offer by some physical act to inflict unlawful force upon another with the apparent ability to carry it out. I think that fits.

Yes I agree it was handbags but it falls within the definition. He's not Jesus Christ, he's a very naughty boy. :D :D
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:54 am

The point everyone is making about the Newport player over reacting is ridiculous, we've played Newport enough times recently to know that's what they do, it's part of their game plan is to win free kicks, hopefully get the opposition carded - if anybody was expecting anything different from them is delusion. Mellis is a complete and utter tool for giving the cheat the chance to get him sent off, if I were him I'd be regretting not doing a proper job on him.

Flynn often talks about us being a physical side but all that is, is a cover to allow him and his muppets to go about their game.

Hopefully Khan or someone else steps up to the plate and makes Mellis earn the right to be back in the team.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:41 pm

pemill wrote:The point everyone is making about the Newport player over reacting is ridiculous, we've played Newport enough times recently to know that's what they do, it's part of their game plan is to win free kicks, hopefully get the opposition carded - if anybody was expecting anything different from them is delusion. Mellis is a complete and utter tool for giving the cheat the chance to get him sent off, if I were him I'd be regretting not doing a proper job on him.

Flynn often talks about us being a physical side but all that is, is a cover to allow him and his muppets to go about their game.

Hopefully Khan or someone else steps up to the plate and makes Mellis earn the right to be back in the team.

Of course everybody knows what Newport are all about, and nobody expects them to be any different but that doesn’t mean the way they overreacted can’t be discussed when it’s played a big part in a sending off?

The points just offered the opinion that the incident felt quite minimal (each to their own) and on another day could have just been overlooked but for the reaction of the players. It’s annoying but it’s commonplace so I don’t think anybody was surprised to see it go how it did.

Agree on comments R.E Flynn, their fans are the same, they all seem to think we’re the dirtiest team in the league which is quite rich as they’re no angels.

Khan will almost certainly come in to the team you would think. Hope Donohue some minutes as well, we need him to be a strong addition.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:28 pm

pre-meditated idiocy from Jacob
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby julianshatnasty » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:34 pm

If someone had dropped their knees on Mellis' back we'd be demanding a sending off. Clear intent, deliberate, petulant and a red card all day long.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Rigsby » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:55 pm

I agree. Petty but deliberate. No real difference between what he did and aiming a sly kick like Beckham did in the World Cup. Never going to cause injury but gives the Ref a decision to make. No need for it at all.
Rigsby
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum