{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The enthusiasm-o-meter

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

The enthusiasm-o-meter

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:32 pm

Just trying to gauge people's enthusiasm levels for next season.

Are you buzzing-tripping, or CBA?

Cook and Maynard were exciting signings but not really seen much to be excited about on the pitch.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Re: The enthusiasm-o-meter

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:36 pm

I’m pretty cautious. I’m trying no to think about it because the more I look at the squad the more I’m thinking there’s not much depth to it and the midfield is worrying me.

Add into to that a manager who could be anything and I’m feeling anxious.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:37 pm

It's pre season, get a grip.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:40 pm

Spiritater wrote:It's pre season, get a grip.

That's why I asked how you're feeling about the UPCOMING SEASON.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:44 pm

i'll let you know when pre season's over
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:47 pm

I think we peaked too early last season, even in pre-season we where flying. Yes we started the actual season with too many draws but where difficult to beat until ultimately new year and beyond.

Cautiously optimistic is where I am currently but the last two seasons have shown despite doing well into early spring if you don't back it up in the business end your on a road to nowhere.

My bigger concern is the lack of football after the Hull game. An under 23 side Tuesday and a week and half gap isn't great prep for the new season.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:53 pm

Went last night, and if the 1st half is anything to go by,and if the two new strikers are to play from the off, we will resort to playing long ball, which was pretty poor to watch last night. Second half was much more like the football we played last season, further up the pitch, and much more pleasing on the eye.
What Dempster's plans are, is up in the air at the moment. Trying to give everybody a game, at the moment, leads to spells of disorganization and at times it was difficult to tell what formation and system,we were trying to play.
He really needs to fine down the squad,and in these next couple of friendlies, pick a formation and team, somewhere close to what we will start with, and stick with it.
Personally, I think the manager will struggle, but hope I am proved wrong, and end up with plenty of egg on my face. Even though I have misgivings, I will still support him and his team wholeheartedly!
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:11 pm

It won't surprise anyone that my view is we should have stuck with our previous manager, he had laid some excellent foundations and I have no doubt that rid of the remainder of Evans' failures we would have been stronger this season. As it is, I now fully support JD but expect us to be around mid table this season and I will take zero pleasure in telling the short termists I told you so - I really, really do hope I am wrong. Even if we do end up mid table, I will not be calling for the managers head (though I can predict now the nobheads who will do), they need time, 12 months is just not enough, never has been and never will be.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:28 am

two concerns atm

1. pretty sure we are going with three at the back so how is JD going to get CJ in the starting 11
2. middle of the park is a really big worry if we want promotion

other than that, pretty happy, oh sorry nearly forgot just for Spiro we need Bobby back in goal
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:05 am

Midfield is our Achilles heel, and has been for years. We simply don’t score ore create enough goals from midfield. Hopefully it changes, and if it does we have a great chance of promotion. Also JD playing a different style in both halves is good to see. He’s trying at least a plan A & B.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:22 am

If we're top 10 by the end of the season then Dempsey will have done OK for me.

I'd expect another slow start to the season while JD susses things out. Maybe November time is when we'll have an idea of his potential
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:24 am

Evans left us in a decent league position but we fell short in the final run in
Flitcroft used the majority of Evans squad , Strengthened the defence with Preston , added Bishop to midfield and Walker up front .Khan , Rose and White has injuries . We missed out on promotion by one goal .
Dempster has inherited the best defence in the league , strengthened the midfield with an experienced player from a league above and replaced one good striker with two proven strikers . Khan , White and Rose are all available for this season

Current squad has taken 3 seasons to build , no massive clear outs , just a few additions to strengthen each season .i am impressed with the current squad . I am more impressed with the fact that on the opening day of the season there could well be only one new player in the STARTING 11.
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:04 am

I haven't been to any of the pre season games to date but having said that I don't look to much into them . In past pre season games I have watched Stags beat some Championship sides which has resulted in me placing a bet on them for the title / promotion place etc. I to some extent built my hopes up too high .
On paper the squad of players look good with two goalscorers to look forward to. I am really looking forward to the new Season and without being too over confident I think we will do well.
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Kernow » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:55 pm

Sat on the fence st the moment, time will tell.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:03 pm

"Once more unto the breach dear friends, once more"
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:11 pm

I don't share everyone's worries about midfield. Bishop is the general and we know he'll tire at the end of the season so Willem, Macca or a January signing will be ready this season to step in. Mellis was quality alongside him and Elsnik until Grant arrived to upset the balance. I'm happy with the midfield with Khan there too and I think we have to look at the season in 2 halves. We have a great squad for the first half and then we will tweak it and bring in what's needed for the run in after Christmas. No point having too many players this early on.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby steiner » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:15 pm

Champions elect.
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby The One » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:07 pm

Rob wrote:It won't surprise anyone that my view is we should have stuck with our previous manager, he had laid some excellent foundations and I have no doubt that rid of the remainder of Evans' failures we would have been stronger this season. As it is, I now fully support JD but expect us to be around mid table this season and I will take zero pleasure in telling the short termists I told you so - I really, really do hope I am wrong. Even if we do end up mid table, I will not be calling for the managers head (though I can predict now the nobheads who will do), they need time, 12 months is just not enough, never has been and never will be.

Think you wrong. The Radfords have spent a fortune and will not settle for mid table. Its challenging for promotion or goodbye imo
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby hucknallstag » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:46 pm

it'll be goodbye then imo.unfortunately a big step backwards in choice of managers,id love to be proved wrong but doubt like most others on here that he will.
hucknallstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby FarnieStag » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:48 pm

I'm enthusiastic for the season ahead.
The stubborn Flitcroft fans are already sharpening their "told you so" knives. Seems incredibly early to gloat.
I'm well and truly in the Flitcroft doubters camp (along with John Radford!), and happy to declare before a ball has even been kicked that we'll have a much better season with Dempster than the last two under Flitcroft. Even though JD has zero experience he'll still do better that Flitcroft (let's face it, we'd have won more points at the end of the past few seasons with Homer Simpson in charge).
FarnieStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:41 pm

Rob wrote:It won't surprise anyone that my view is we should have stuck with our previous manager, he had laid some excellent foundations and I have no doubt that rid of the remainder of Evans' failures we would have been stronger this season. As it is, I now fully support JD but expect us to be around mid table this season and I will take zero pleasure in telling the short termists I told you so - I really, really do hope I am wrong. Even if we do end up mid table, I will not be calling for the managers head (though I can predict now the nobheads who will do), they need time, 12 months is just not enough, never has been and never will be.

Good post. My views are along the same lines.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:47 pm

The One wrote:

Think you wrong. The Radfords have spent a fortune and will not settle for mid table. Its challenging for promotion or goodbye imo

Don't forget it's the Radford's who are hiring and firing the managers.

It's just as important that they get that bit right as it is as how much of their money they have invested.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:01 pm

Defence strong.Strikers very good.Midfield needs strengthening.Hope Dion improves the midfield.Not seen himplay yet.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:02 pm

Hope we can keep hold of Pearce.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:39 am

Totally underwhelmed and my view is that JD will only have until Christmas and if we are in the bottom 6 by then he will be gone. JR/CR will not sit by and watch us go the way of Notts County. I have my doubts that a rookie, untried manager promoted from managing the kids will be able to motivate the first team and take them with him.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum