{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Blackburn scorefred sponsored by silent airwaves.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Blackburn scorefred sponsored by silent airwaves.

Postby wink68 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:20 pm

part time pete wrote:I think everyone is saying we need Hamilton and Benning both playing on the left.

A way we can play them all is to play Preston at right back with Hamilton and White as wingers .

If we have Maynard and Cook as the two strikers then that leaves only two in midfield, Bish and Mellis?

Logan
Preston, Pearce, Sweeney, Benning
White, Mellis, Bishop, Hamilton
Cook, Maynard.

No Khan who was our best player last night. White at RB. Leave one of the centre halves out. Tough. Ottis wide right but not as a true winger.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby DE STAG » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:01 pm

wink68 wrote:
part time pete wrote:I think everyone is saying we need Hamilton and Benning both playing on the left.

A way we can play them all is to play Preston at right back with Hamilton and White as wingers .

If we have Maynard and Cook as the two strikers then that leaves only two in midfield, Bish and Mellis?

Logan
Preston, Pearce, Sweeney, Benning
White, Mellis, Bishop, Hamilton
Cook, Maynard.

No Khan who was our best player last night. White at RB. Leave one of the centre halves out. Tough. Ottis wide right but not as a true winger.

Khan is looking good and deserves to start if he carries on. Isn't he going to be more influential centrally in Mellis's position?
DE STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:58 pm

Khan is a bloody good player at this level, it’s a pity he was carrying an injury last season but he looks good now.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:00 pm

That’s why I put a question mark after Bish and Mellis.

If we are playing only two in central midfield then I don’t think they are good enough.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:20 pm

part time pete wrote:That’s why I put a question mark after Bish and Mellis.

If we are playing only two in central midfield then I don’t think they are good enough.

Bang on Pete

Bish looked nothing on last season preseason he came to Mansfield up n running last night he looked way of that mark he seemed like an old man trying to keep up with the youngsters but eh ho I may be wrong....
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:22 pm

Tomlinson out for month.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:22 pm

I feel the squad is short by 3 and I get the feeling we're running out of budget (talking to loan players/trialists).

Still think we're a right winger, cm/cam, striker short.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:41 pm

lifestags wrote:I feel the squad is short by 3 and I get the feeling we're running out of budget (talking to loan players/trialists).

Are loan players free then? Pretty sure our biggest earners last year would’ve been our loan signings.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:50 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
lifestags wrote:I feel the squad is short by 3 and I get the feeling we're running out of budget (talking to loan players/trialists).

Are loan players free then? Pretty sure our biggest earners last year would’ve been our loan signings.

Obviously depends on the loan player. If it's a young lad with no league experience, then yeah I'd imagine so. If it's a walker type player with forest team first experience then no probably not.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:33 pm

Thought Alistair Smith looked confortable on the ball.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:47 pm

Think we'd learn more playing a strong league one side.. id like us try one side for 90 soon
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:51 pm

Seeing the team at both Alfreton and last night most of the players looked unfit. Other than Hamilton there was no pace in the team. Cook looked a stone over weight and Bishop ran out of steam after 10 minutes. Team fitness appears to have gone back to Evans days. If they don't improve other clubs will run rings round us in the second half of every game.

The management team need to get on top of it and impose some discipline.
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneag » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:09 pm

One thing Paul Cox showed in his first two seasons that finishing a season strongly is better than starting strongly.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:06 am

Sneag wrote:One thing Paul Cox showed in his first two seasons that finishing a season strongly is better than starting strongly.

Yep doesn't matter where you are after 10 games, it's all about how you finish after Xmas
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:40 am

Not certain being 30 points short after ten games is a good start to winning promotion. Lets hope we are at least in the top seven all season.
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby NorthLondonStag » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:20 am

Makes no difference when you get your points, to get promoted. A win is 3 points on the first day of the season and the last day of the season.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby yorkstag » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:28 am

sunray wrote:Seeing the team at both Alfreton and last night most of the players looked unfit. Other than Hamilton there was no pace in the team. Cook looked a stone over weight and Bishop ran out of steam after 10 minutes. Team fitness appears to have gone back to Evans days. If they don't improve other clubs will run rings round us in the second half of every game.

What exactly do you have in mind?
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:56 am

yorkstag wrote:
sunray wrote:Seeing the team at both Alfreton and last night most of the players looked unfit. Other than Hamilton there was no pace in the team. Cook looked a stone over weight and Bishop ran out of steam after 10 minutes. Team fitness appears to have gone back to Evans days. If they don't improve other clubs will run rings round us in the second half of every game.

What exactly do you have in mind?

I thought the same as Sunray - I watched the Blackburn game on ifollow and thought that a lot of the players looked 'less' fit than last season and in some cases visibly not as trim...It concerns me as we literally don't have long now until the season kicks off, probably not enough time to sort it out. I wasn't a massive Flitcroft fan but one thing I was impressed with was him getting the payers in over the summer break for extra fitness and how fit the team seemed to be in pre-season, as backed up by the performances pre-season.

Not wanting to compare us to Notts County but one of the key issues they had at the start of last season after missing out in the playoffs the season before was poor fitness with the rumour being that Nolan was more interested in supping round West Bridgeford.. This fitness issue resulted in 2 changes in manager in as many months, all quoting fitness as an issue...and we all know how well its gone for them since!
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby victor A block » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:12 am

Fitness will be key. That comes from the management. I have no idea whether John Dempster will be a success or otherwise and don't really know his temperament. However, when a player comes thru the ranks to be appointed manager and is of a similar age to some of the players he's going to have to be careful to not be " one of the lads"
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:19 am

If I was taking on my first proper managerial position, fitness would be a key aspect...you can have the best systems/tactics/plans etc but unless the players are spot on fitness wise, it all goes out the window 30 mins into games as the players just cant enact the plans physically
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:27 am

......and so it continues.

Steve Evans claimed the players under Adam Murray were not fit, DF claimed Evans' players were not fit and now fans are saying JD's players are not fit.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:44 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:......and so it continues.

Steve Evans claimed the players under Adam Murray were not fit, DF claimed Evans' players were not fit and now fans are saying JD's players are not fit.

Or this was all true and the fitness has 'evolved' .... this needs maintaining to see a progression on the pitch..
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:56 am

football managers will say, there is fit & there is match fit
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Newarkstag » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:02 pm

The players were fit underflitcroft but do you not think they ran out of steam after Christmas as we didn't press teams like before Christmas
Newarkstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Spiritater » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:35 pm

shuda gone 4 a week with t'paras, not prancin round portugal
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum