{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Blackburn scorefred sponsored by silent airwaves.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Blackburn scorefred sponsored by silent airwaves.

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:46 pm

Worrying no clear pattern of play its a bit mixed up but guess is what pre season is about but could be a long settling in period getting it right.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:51 pm

352 is still not our best formation
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:31 pm

Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bigalstag » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:39 pm

Slightly worrying for me was the fact , that when we bought on Rose and Khan in the second half, they looked far better than the pairing of Cook and Maynard in the first half. Benning and White , together, in the second half, allowed us to play at least 10metres further up the pitch than the first half ,and look far more effective.
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby SINA STAG » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:08 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
SINA STAG wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
SINA STAG wrote:The trialist lad in the 1st half was decent think his name was Jack with White overlapping these two will RIP league 2 apart next season. CJ still got the same problem as last season undecided on to twist or stick any good offers n I would sell him on.

He was poor, again. How exactly is our RWB going to overlap the other RWB anyway?

Because the lad named Jack played most of the game in midfield with The Chief Preston Sweeney covering at the back I dont think Jack is natural right back he's too focused on lifting his head n putting in a ball across the opposition box. Where White is mobile enough to cover the entire right hand side. But I'm not Dempster n he may think differently.

He played RWB. I though he was ok at best. Wouldn’t be looking to sign him, or the other two trialists.

Your opinion is valid but as for not signing him I thought he had a decent game going forward got himself in space n his ball crossing was top draw. for not signing him I would sign him asap we dont have anyone better to cover for RWB or right of midfield.
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:28 am

A bit concerning on lack of natural wide men , No47 Baxter. Has some quality Arthur what’s his name was poor ,Hickman was average at best . Cook won plenty of headers in the first half ,Maynard had a quiet half IMO
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:16 am

tillydog123 wrote:2 nil to Blackburn but good work out and JD will say he is happy in view of Blackburn's more classier players etc etc

“[We got] a lot [from the game],” he said. “Blackburn are a strong side and had good calibre players on show tonight.

I got the score wrong but not far short on what JD would say lol
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby bluenyellow » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:17 am

how can the chief claim that goal lol
Doc said i needed a pacemaker,so ive now got a flippin kenyan 2 yds in front of me everywhere i go.
bluenyellow
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:26 am

Thought the defence looked a bit shaky first half but improved when Benning and White joined the 3 main CB’s in the second.

Not convinced on Hickman, think we need better. Baxter looked tidy, can tell he’s got technical ability and he played a few good passes - I’d have another look at him. Khan looked lively and I hope to see him get back to where he was at the start of last season.

Mellis the pick of the first half midfielders for me. Macca busy in winning the ball back but still not sure he’s calm enough on the ball to play in there alongside Bishop.

Agree with comments that there’s no real playing style shining through at the moment but still early days I guess. Plenty of decisions to make I think regarding system, I think he’d Ideally like CJ and Benning both in the team
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:29 am

yorkshire stag wrote:Attended tonight’s game with my boss who’s a Blackburn season ticket holder, i didn’t realise their forward cost £7 million from Florest, also he said we were very well organised and just rushed our passes at times, he rated Pearce and finally couldn’t believe how fat our keeper was lol

but he no doubt admitted he kept us in t'game also eh! ;)
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:57 am

I thought Cook did his job, won a lot of headers but the link between him and Maynard wasn't quite there yet. I though Bish was poor, but I seem to remember thinking the same last pre-season.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:45 am

Negatives. Cook and Maynard both goal scorers, but looking for others to create for them. CJ is a left winger. We don't play with one. Mal better at wingback. Bish well off the pace. hopefully an old head easeing old legs into a long season. Positives. Ottis exellent. Should have played instead of Grant last year. Will we play him with 2 up top. Great to have White back. Macca, Mellis and Tomlinson looked good.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:49 am

The biggest negative for me is that we dont look organised, Which is worry as its the same Defence/Midfield as last season. Were also looking a bit unorganized from set pieces as well (both at Alfreton and Blackburn)

2nd half team was much better, Thought Tomlinson did well until he got Injured and Khan is looking sharp.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:35 am

It feels like plenty to work in but it’s preseason, so I’m sure we’ll get there.

There’s still a little to work on in recruitment for me, if we’re playing a 5 at the back we need a right back and maybe a centre back. Hickman is ok for me but they will see much more in training than we do. Personally I thought the new youngster looked better.

If we’re not playing wingers CJ is a square peg in a round hole. He gives his all but could be more if we played to his strengths but in playing wingers I think we’d be short of cover in my opinion.

Up front we’ll see what develops between cook and Maynard. It can take time to build an understanding but we’ve got a few friendlies and training yet.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Jamie » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:10 am

The biggest positive is Cooks ability to play the 'big man' role, he looked very good in the air and competed well against better opposition. Maynard didn't really get a chance to show what he can do.

Great to see White back in the team and looking fit.

The biggest issue we have is CJ and formation. With the 3 Centre Backs we have, we almost have to play 3 at the back, non of them will be happy to warm the bench or fight for a place. So that means Mal and White as wing backs and leaves us a CJ problem.

My big fear is that with Cook up front we'll just go long too often, we did last night but i'll put that down to the quality we were against, but we need to play the ball forward more. We're ok at keeping it and retaining possession, but weren't great at moving it forward unless it was a high ball.

Bish did look well off the pace, hopefully Tomo isn't injured badly and he can keep Bish on his toes or come in if required. Mellis and Khan will fight for the position behind the strikers, although for home games we could probably get away with Bish/Tomo alongside Mellis and Khan in behind.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:14 am

Jamie wrote:The biggest positive is Cooks ability to play the 'big man' role, he looked very good in the air and competed well against better opposition. Maynard didn't really get a chance to show what he can do.

The biggest issue we have is CJ and formation. With the 3 Centre Backs we have, we almost have to play 3 at the back, non of them will be happy to warm the bench or fight for a place. So that means Mal and White as wing backs and leaves us a CJ problem.

My big fear is that with Cook up front we'll just go long too often, we did last night but i'll put that down to the quality we were against, but we need to play the ball forward more. We're ok at keeping it and retaining possession, but weren't great at moving it forward unless it was a high ball.

Bish did look well off the pace, hopefully Tomo isn't injured badly and he can keep Bish on his toes or come in if required. Mellis and Khan will fight for the position behind the strikers, although for home games we could probably get away with Bish/Tomo alongside Mellis and Khan in behind.

I agree he looked good but he wasn't against better opposition. He was up against two young lads, one who has never played a game for Blackburn, the other who was played twice. Joe Grayson (son of Simon) played 8 times on loan for Grimsby last season.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:16 am

Hated 352 last year and it looked bad again last night. With Cook and Maynard in the side, surely having some width is vital. If we do go with 3 centre mids, we have to drop Mellis deeper to actually have a centre mid who can pass a ball, with Macca and Bish alongside each other we are always giving it away as neither can pass.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby James » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:20 am

We need to find a way of getting two full backs, two wingers, two strikers on the pitch, and still have control of the midfield.

That's Dempsters biggest task this season, a big ask for a rookie manager.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:20 am

Hjeldefan wrote:Hated 352 last year and it looked bad again last night. With Cook and Maynard in the side, surely having some width is vital. If we do go with 3 centre mids, we have to drop Mellis deeper to actually have a centre mid who can pass a ball, with Macca and Bish alongside each other we are always giving it away as neither can pass.

Thought the same last night. If we are insistent on playing out from the back, you have to have one of the deeper midfielders who is comfortable on the ball. Bish and Macca aren't those players. I'm hoping that Donohue might be that player. The only alternative is to only play one striker and play a diamond or two number 10's. It is good to have Cook so if we want to go longer we can, however then the problem is Mellis rarely makes runs beyond the strikers, so you need players like Macca, Khan, CJ higher up the pitch to run onto any knockdowns.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:27 am

Jamie wrote:The biggest positive is Cooks ability to play the 'big man' role, he looked very good in the air and competed well against better opposition. Maynard didn't really get a chance to show what he can do.

Agree with the summary here, though I think Mellis or maybe Donohue (supposedly tidy on the ball) when fit should be the one to play alongside Bishop/Tomlinson in this formation regardless of us being at home or away.

You rightly point out that we weren’t great at moving the ball forward unless it was a long ball, and in my opinion this comes from having 2 of Macca, Bishop, and Tomlinson in the same side as the midfield pairing. They’re all grafters but often lack the composure to receive the ball from a defender in midfield areas, turn and make a progressive pass which is why we kept going quite direct - happened at the back end of last season too at times. At the moment in this system Mellis would be in midfield for me (as he’s by far the most comfortable in receiving the ball from defenders) with Khan behind the strikers as he’s looking sharp.

Edit: and once posted, I see I’ve essentially repeated the post above :lol:
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:40 am

Football is a game which is easily complicated.

We have quality forwards. Get the ball the them quickly and effectively in positions where they can make a difference.

We need wingplay and a player in behind who can unlock defences.

The rest is elementary.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:54 am

I think everyone is saying we need Hamilton and Benning both playing on the left.

A way we can play them all is to play Preston at right back with Hamilton and White as wingers .

If we have Maynard and Cook as the two strikers then that leaves only two in midfield, Bish and Mellis?

Logan
Preston, Pearce, Sweeney, Benning
White, Mellis, Bishop, Hamilton
Cook, Maynard.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:57 am

I'd be worried about Mellis playing in a flat 4-4-2.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:00 am

MTFCMusings wrote:I'd be worried about Mellis playing in a flat 4-4-2.

I know that is the problem, it would be nice to play an extra midfielder but that is 12 players though. :lol:
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:30 am

True, the problem is our central midfielders all have clear strengths and weaknesses which do not really compliment each other.

Bishop - Energetic, ball winner, neat in possession. Lacks creativity and legs could go any minute.
Mellis - Great on the ball but unfit.
Tomlinson - Think he will end up being most rounded given his age. Energetic but lacks composure under pressure.
Macca - Covers the ground but positionally poor. Output on the ball a mixed bag.

We need a midfielder who is both good on the ball and off it. I'm hoping that will be Donohue.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum