{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The Gay Footballer

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The Gay Footballer

Postby Iliketrains » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:07 pm

adamstag wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
adamstag wrote:Tbh I'd like to think football would have moved beyond this.

It's not right or acceptable to chant about black players for instance (obviously rightfully so!) but was once rife so not really sure why fans would find it acceptable to chant stuff about being gay either - obviously there is a difference between "banter" and malice - being afraid of something due to drunk folk with an IQ of a flea isn't on

As a fan I wouldn't care if the person was black, white, gay, Mr Blobby - as long as they were good at being a footballer - which is basically the aim of him being on the pitch - I wouldn't care.

We're nowhere near moving beyond it. The fact that there isn't an openly gay pro player in England is testament to that. With homophobic attacks on the rise in general society and in schools, I sadly don't think it will come for a while.

I get that it hasn't moved beyond it totally, I assure you. However, it an ideal world I would have thought it would have done.

Authorities need to be stronger about this.

Totally agree but when the authorities have such ludicrously lenient punishments for racism offences in the game then what chance do players of different sexual orientations have when faced with the same ignorance? The footballing authorities across much of the world are clueless. They have the power to make significant change and to make the game all inclusive yet they consistently fail because the only measures needed that would start to have an impact they would deem as draconian. Yet it's draconian measures that are now needed because we keep talking about racism and intolerance in the sport and it ain't going away. Nothing is changing.
Iliketrains
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby stagsfan6493 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:25 pm

spanishstag wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
m1cksut wrote:so, given that footballers have shared communal baths since the year dot, they kiss and hug each other after scoring a goal, and are often very emotional at the end of a game/season etc, is anyone at all surprised that there are gay footballers?
the only surprise is that so few have come out!

So you're saying that people can just become gay from being overly emotional or seeing naked men? It's not a whim that just happens or you decide to do. People are born homosexual, they don't learn it.

Whilst i agree with what you say ,i must admit i agree with those muslim people who object to it being taught in schools and i find this whole gender neutral gimmick strange to say the least ,likewise i find it sad that every soap seems it must have its quota of minority it might just be my age but i believe what happens closed doors should stay there i certainly dont need to know it all

Annnd the village idiot strikes again. Hopefully in the next decade people will be free to express how they feel without being abused, the only way to achieve this is through education.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:39 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Jimstag wrote:Actually 1 question I do have regarding this is in the changing room in that Phil Neville is not allowed in the women’s changing room for a set period and team talks held on the pitch for fairly obvious reasons, would some sort of regulation like this have to happen for an openly gay player?
It is OTT for me but at the same time it opens a whole minefield for me.

Rediciulous. Just because he's Gay, doesn't mean he cant share a changing room. Do you think just because a gay man is getting dressed next to other men, he'll fancy them or come onto them or something like that so they need to be segregated.. I just cant work out how you've even thought of that? let alone ask it as a genuine question. If you have a problem with a gay man in your changing room, then you're the one that needs taking out of that situation and educating.

Maybe im not quite understanding what you're getting at...

Gareth Thomas didn't get that sort of treatment did he? and you don't go into a gym with separate changing rooms... the comparison to Phil Neville doesn't translate, hes a man in a women's changing room, completely different.

His teammates and the public need to support him, so future gay players don't feel the need to hide and they can live happily the same as everyone else.

Just asking a question which I now think has been answered. I too thought it would be silly but in the women’s game the male coach can’t enter the dressing room at certain time which I believe is to do with safeguarding? Does this represent a precedent? However many have pointed out that there are many openly gay women footballers who do share a dressing room.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:40 pm

spanishstag wrote:
adamstag wrote:
spanishstag wrote:That is garbage

If that’s in reply to my post I’d be intrigued as to why you think it’s rubbish?

Its your use of the term backward folk that seems to be levelled at anyone who is against the teaching of all the LGBT stuff ,nobody taught me about these things when i was young ,i was allowed to discover my own identity and preferences in life the way i think it should be

Nobody taught you much full stop it appears. Spain is welcome to you.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:57 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
adamstag wrote:

If that’s in reply to my post I’d be intrigued as to why you think it’s rubbish?

Its your use of the term backward folk that seems to be levelled at anyone who is against the teaching of all the LGBT stuff ,nobody taught me about these things when i was young ,i was allowed to discover my own identity and preferences in life the way i think it should be

Can't teach idiots unfortunately - thankfully in the minority
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby m1cksut » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:09 pm

ParisStag wrote:
m1cksut wrote:so, given that footballers have shared communal baths since the year dot, they kiss and hug each other after scoring a goal, and are often very emotional at the end of a game/season etc, is anyone at all surprised that there are gay footballers?

So you're saying that people can just become gay from being overly emotional or seeing naked men? It's not a whim that just happens or you decide to do. People are born homosexual, they don't learn it.

no, i dont think i said that at all.
otherwise, by the same token, most miners would be gay, as would foundry workers, who all had communal showers.
(i have been both, so must be doubly gay!)
i was merely positing that given the points i made, which are often seen as homosexual traits, that it was no surprise that there were gay men in football, as indeed there are in all other walks of life, and that it was surprising that more hadnt come out.
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
m1cksut
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:12 pm

adamstag wrote:
Hjeldefan wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
adamstag wrote:

Can't teach idiots unfortunately - thankfully in the minority

Well that was certainly debate from both of you ,you asked my reasoning i gave it rightly or wrongly ,that makes me an idiot as for hjeldefan or whatever his name is brilliant debating as well you may not like my views but that doesn,t make them wrong ,end of
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:16 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

Whilst i agree with what you say ,i must admit i agree with those muslim people who object to it being taught in schools and i find this whole gender neutral gimmick strange to say the least ,likewise i find it sad that every soap seems it must have its quota of minority it might just be my age but i believe what happens closed doors should stay there i certainly dont need to know it all

Annnd the village idiot strikes again. Hopefully in the next decade people will be free to express how they feel without being abused, the only way to achieve this is through education.

Oh the irony of your reply
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:22 pm

Flippin 'eck, all this for a fake twitter account :lol: :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:36 pm

It's not really the place for a debate of this kind anyway is it? To be honest it depresses me there is any need for a 'debate' when it comes to this sort of thing. I am not religious at all, but being taught RE at a young age means I can still respect people have different beliefs. Hence why teaching 'this LGBT stuff' at a young age would be good. It would mean there are less people who get annoyed at teaching kids that *shock horror* people can be gay. Just going to leave it at that as I can see you are just going to embarrass yourself further without my input.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:37 pm

spanishstag wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

Well you basically said that if you're gay you should stay in the closet and not be open about it - that isn't acceptable.

As being gay is a minority basically you're stating that any minority - whether black, disabled, gay, asian etc should all keep themselves to themselves, not be open and proud about their heritage, background, sexuality or disability.

That isn't an environment I'd want to be part of or associated with - nor would I find any environment like that acceptable.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:40 pm

spanishstag wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

My point is clearly about people being allowed to express who they are without the hate, oppression and abuse they currently receive. I might revise that statement if you think it is ironic, if you are homophobic or racist then I do hope you receive hate, oppression and abuse in the next decade.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:42 pm

If?
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby spanishstag » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:03 pm

I know a few openly gay or lesbian people ,its an issue they dont feel the need to tell me ,they dont hide it but they know it doesn,t bother me I just think we are pushing things a little to far as far as kids are concerned
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:08 pm

My son is gay and I wouldn’t change this. It is who he is and proud of it.

As a dad I want my children to be happy, simple really

However, when you listen to what he goes through on a daily basis, people moving away from him on the tube, complaining because he holds his boyfriends hand etc etc some of the views on here don’t surprise me in the slightest.

I think they say 1 in 10 people are gay, that means most clubs have at least 2 players who are gay.

Good luck to this players and others as I for one will be supporting them.....even if they play for chesterfield !!!!!!
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Beano » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:12 pm

spanishstag wrote: I just think we are pushing things a little to far as far as kids are concerned

By telling them some people have 2 mums/dads?

Wow
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Iliketrains » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:23 pm

stag324 wrote:My son is gay and I wouldn’t change this. It is who he is and proud of it.

However, when you listen to what he goes through on a daily basis, people moving away from him on the tube, complaining because he holds his boyfriends hand etc etc some of the views on here don’t surprise me in the slightest.

I think they say 1 in 10 people are gay, that means most clubs have at least 2 players who are gay.

Good luck to this players and others as I for one will be supporting them.....even if they play for chesterfield !!!!!!

I agree.

It must be awful for him to feel he has to hide his true self from society due to the fear of reactions and abuse and he shouldn't have to do this. You say people move away from him on the tube so i'm assuming he's in London? I always thought London was accepting of just about everything due to it's large and diverse communities. That's surprised me.

It gets on my nerves the moronic nature of some people who feel they are entitled to publicly show their disapproval to gay people / overweight people etc in public as if it's got anything to do with them! They should keep their noses out or one day they'll do it to the wrong people and end up getting their faces smashed in hopefully.
Iliketrains
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby stag324 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:42 pm

Iliketrains wrote:
stag324 wrote:My son is gay and I wouldn’t change this. It is who he is and proud of it.

I agree.

It must be awful for him to feel he has to hide his true self from society due to the fear of reactions and abuse and he shouldn't have to do this. You say people move away from him on the tube so i'm assuming he's in London? I always thought London was accepting of just about everything due to it's large and diverse communities. That's surprised me.

It gets on my nerves the moronic nature of some people who feel they are entitled to publicly show their disapproval to gay people / overweight people etc in public as if it's got anything to do with them! They should keep their noses out or one day they'll do it to the wrong people and end up getting their faces smashed in hopefully.

He has actually back in Mansfield after just finishing uni at Southampton but his boyfriend is from London.

It happens everywhere and until people accept that being gay is perfectly normal it will never go away.

I do hope this footballer gains the courage to speak out and I am sure more would follow.

Maybe because it is so personal but I do feel disappointed by some of the views on here.

Nothing illegal is being done, He is just like you and I
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:46 pm

m1cksut wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

otherwise, by the same token, most miners would be gay, as would foundry workers, who all had communal showers.
i was merely positing that given the points i made, which are often seen as homosexual traits, that it was no surprise that there were gay men in football, as indeed there are in all other walks of life, and that it was surprising that more hadnt come out.

True story M1ck, when I worked down't pit there was a small contingent of openly gay men, who for the most part didn't get any more or less stick than anyone else (pit lads were good like that for the most part). However either by coincidence or design they all had lockers in the same alley & the lockers were under populated. My locker was in that alley & I never gave changing there a second thought. But one day I was stood there in the nip waiting for a shower and this naked horrible 30 stone beer monster said in all seriousness 'dunno how you can get stripped in bummers alley youth, I wouln't want all them staring at me'. :shock:
I told him he'd be perfectly safe. :lol: You'd hope we've moved on since the 80s.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:47 pm

Sneag wrote:
m1cksut wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

True story M1ck, when I worked down't pit there was a small contingent of openly gay men, who for the most part didn't get any more or less stick than anyone else (pit lads were good like that for the most part). However either by coincidence or design they all had lockers in the same alley & the lockers were under populated. My locker was in that alley & I never gave changing there a second thought. But one day I was stood there in the nip waiting for a shower and this naked horrible 30 stone beer monster said in all seriousness 'dunno how you can get stripped in bummers alley youth, I wouln't want all them staring at me'. :shock:
I told him he'd be perfectly safe. :lol: You'd hope we've moved on since the 80s.

What Pit was that ? All the Pits I worked at if you had been openly gay you would of been hammered for it.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneag » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:00 pm

jpstags wrote:
Sneag wrote:
m1cksut wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

What Pit was that ? All the Pits I worked at if you had been openly gay you would of been hammered for it.

Thoresby. I always found that everyone got hammered regardless, I guess the sometimes it was good natured and other times 'banter' had an edge. But isn't that just representative of life, everyone takes the piss but only a minority are mean about it.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:14 pm

Sneag wrote:
m1cksut wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

There's a West End musical in there somewhere.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby m1cksut » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:47 pm

Sneag wrote:True story M1ck, when I worked down't pit there was a small contingent of openly gay men, who for the most part didn't get any more or less stick than anyone else (pit lads were good like that for the most part). However either by coincidence or design they all had lockers in the same alley & the lockers were under populated. My locker was in that alley & I never gave changing there a second thought. But one day I was stood there in the nip waiting for a shower and this naked horrible 30 stone beer monster said in all seriousness 'dunno how you can get stripped in bummers alley youth, I wouln't want all them staring at me'. :shock:

crowny was notorious for it. errr, apparently! :oops:
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
m1cksut
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:43 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Jimstag wrote:Actually 1 question I do have regarding this is in the changing room in that Phil Neville is not allowed in the women’s changing room for a set period and team talks held on the pitch for fairly obvious reasons, would some sort of regulation like this have to happen for an openly gay player?

Rediciulous. Just because he's Gay, doesn't mean he cant share a changing room. Do you think just because a gay man is getting dressed next to other men, he'll fancy them or come onto them or something like that so they need to be segregated.. I just cant work out how you've even thought of that? let alone ask it as a genuine question. If you have a problem with a gay man in your changing room, then you're the one that needs taking out of that situation and educating.

Gareth Thomas didn't get that sort of treatment did he? and you don't go into a gym with separate changing rooms... the comparison to Phil Neville doesn't translate, hes a man in a women's changing room, completely different.

His teammates and the public need to support him, so future gay players don't feel the need to hide and they can live happily the same as everyone else.

So what you are saying is that gay men and gay women can be trusted to control their sexual feelings in a dressing room but heterosexual men can’t, got you. Tell me exactly what would Phil Neville or any other bloke see in in a changing room he wouldn’t see on a Spanish beach whilst with his wife and kids. No I’m not anti gay, you just can’t have double standards.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:57 pm

Big yella wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

So what you are saying is that gay men and gay women can be trusted to control their sexual feelings in a dressing room but heterosexual men can’t, got you. Tell me exactly what would Phil Neville or any other bloke see in in a changing room he wouldn’t see on a Spanish beach whilst with his wife and kids. No I’m not anti gay, you just can’t have double standards.

Basic privacy there, not double standards.... it's the basic principle and idea of why female and male changing rooms exist in the world. The idea of needing a separate changing room, yes just the idea of it, for the one openly gay player.... you lot are why Mansfield is a backwards dump. :roll:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum