{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Flitcroft

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Flitcroft

Postby NG17_stag » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:45 pm

Personally I wish him all the best and hope he does well in the Donny job, if he gets it. He certainly has areas to work on such as having a plan B and motivating his team in big games, but a lot of positives to take from his time here. It’s been a while since I enjoyed a season as much as the last one, and it was certainly the best football I’ve seen for a long time. No issues with the bloke.
NG17_stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby DogsDoDahs » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:10 am

Thanks to god he has gone and wont be missed. It was not the fault of the players for the failures of the last two seasons. It was 100% the fault of an inept manager who played negative tactics from around xmas by fielding one recognised striker. They are facts. Dont count Hamilton as a striker because he is a left winger. Before xmas he was playing two strikers and the team were picking up good points. After that Floppy played one striker and the goals and points dried up and it cost him his job. Had he been manager this year many fans would only have attended certain games only, rather than as seasons ticket holders. Now Demps has been appointed those same fans have renewed season tickets and can see this season will be positive for the whole season. Dont blame injuries or suspensions he failed because he had the wrong 11 players on the pitch from the kick off after xmas playing hoof ball to an isolated single striker who did his best. It was a system designed to fail and it did.
:coys:
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:46 am

Northampton away last season springs to mind, painful to watch, for all, we're bullied into the long ball.
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby adamstag » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:50 am

Field Mill wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Conker wrote:He’s not been successful for a while, football is very fickle and the only proper success is his promotion with big spending Bury (shame he didn’t manage that for us)

I don’t think JR is very good at all at appointing managers, the only success was Paul Cox and he’s been here ten? years now.

Sorry to upset the pro-Flitcroft apple cart Andy, it’s a tough old world.
You are a tease !
But seriously finishing fourth, one point from promotion and loosing on penalties in the playoff semi final and you don't count that as success? Ask fans from any other club about the sacking of DF and 90% will say it was madness.
I don't particularly want to get on that subject, but ask yourself if as you say he is SERIOUSLY not rated in the football world, why is he on Doncaster's shortlist of three?

Come on Andy. The surrender in his first season was a disgrace. Anyone with a Level 1 coaching badge could have got us into the Play Offs from that position. Last time out? Huge budget and tailed off in the last twelve to a pathetic extent. No manager has ever had money on that scale since our return and his caution was pathetic. Nice guy fine, but not a manager. 'Respect the point' is fine when you've not had the money he got but woeful when you are backed to the extent he was. And let's not go there on his January dealings...

In short when push came to shove he was a bottler
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:52 am

Berryhillstagno1 wrote:Northampton away last season springs to mind, painful to watch, for all, we're bullied into the long ball.

Nothing to do with Northampton, it was a clear tactic after it worked so successfully against Exeter the away game before.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:23 am

DogsDoDahs wrote:Thanks to god he has gone and wont be missed. It was not the fault of the players for the failures of the last two seasons. It was 100% the fault of an inept manager who played negative tactics from around xmas by fielding one recognised striker. They are facts. Dont count Hamilton as a striker because he is a left winger. Before xmas he was playing two strikers and the team were picking up good points. After that Floppy played one striker and the goals and points dried up and it cost him his job. Had he been manager this year many fans would only have attended certain games only, rather than as seasons ticket holders. Now Demps has been appointed those same fans have renewed season tickets and can see this season will be positive for the whole season. Dont blame injuries or suspensions he failed because he had the wrong 11 players on the pitch from the kick off after xmas playing hoof ball to an isolated single striker who did his best. It was a system designed to fail and it did.

Not sure about dogsdodahs more like dogdo :lol: How to reinvent what really happened in one easy lesson - it will be interesting to see how JD gets on this season, one thing for sure, the knives will be out by many if we aren't top 3.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:31 am

Rob wrote:
DogsDoDahs wrote:Thanks to god he has gone and wont be missed. It was not the fault of the players for the failures of the last two seasons. It was 100% the fault of an inept manager who played negative tactics from around xmas by fielding one recognised striker. They are facts. Dont count Hamilton as a striker because he is a left winger. Before xmas he was playing two strikers and the team were picking up good points. After that Floppy played one striker and the goals and points dried up and it cost him his job. Had he been manager this year many fans would only have attended certain games only, rather than as seasons ticket holders. Now Demps has been appointed those same fans have renewed season tickets and can see this season will be positive for the whole season. Dont blame injuries or suspensions he failed because he had the wrong 11 players on the pitch from the kick off after xmas playing hoof ball to an isolated single striker who did his best. It was a system designed to fail and it did.

Not sure about dogsdodahs more like dogdo :lol: How to reinvent what really happened in one easy lesson - it will be interesting to see how JD gets on this season, one thing for sure, the knives will be out by many if we aren't top 3.

The knives will be out if he proves himself to be incapable of delivering what his employers want. It's really that simple.

So will give him more time than others, but that matters not a jot as the opinions of those on Stagsnet count for raspberry all in House Radford.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:28 am

If we don't go up this year, will we sack Dempster and go for a new manager? Or will he be allowed more time due to his lack of experience?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:30 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:If we don't go up this year, will we sack Dempster and go for a new manager? Or will he be allowed more time due to his lack of experience?

Again that will entirely depends on the expectations of his employer. 'We' won't be sacking anyone. ;)
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:32 am

Sneag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:If we don't go up this year, will we sack Dempster and go for a new manager? Or will he be allowed more time due to his lack of experience?

Again that will entirely depends on the expectations of his employer. 'We' won't be sacking anyone. ;)

The expectations will be promotion I'd assume given the backing JD has had to bring in Cook and Maynard
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:39 am

I suppose it's viewed on whether he messed up 1 season or 2.

On one hand it's unfortunate that he's judged on the 1st season but on the other hand to achieve the somehow seemingly impossible feat of finishing outside the playoffs means it's hard not to.

Maybe it had more to do with it seemed Caroline got him in and JR never took to him
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:16 am

Can’t understand why folk say he didn’t have a plan B.

Considering he played CJ all over the pitch in several different positions in the the same game, then I suggest he had play B, C and D.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:07 am

part time pete wrote:Can’t understand why folk say he didn’t have a plan B.

Considering he played CJ all over the pitch in several different positions in the the same game, then I suggest he had play B, C and D.

I think when people say plan B it comes down to style of play and change of personel.

Lincoln changed it up very well and had the ability to go on and win games at 65/70 mins when it was 0-0. In the early days of DF we struggled with that and often drew!

I would of happily given him another chance, quite liked him.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:32 am

I don't think there was much wrong with his tactics, style of play or man management. The football was mostly good to watch, the defence he built was probably the best I've ever seen (which vindicates the formation and tactics) and the dressing-room was in good spirits.

People will criticise his ability to get them up for big occasions, which I think is fair, but for me, his biggest flaw came in transfers, which I am assuming were down to him. Not signing the other striker we needed to get us over the line was fatal. Bringing in Grant and upsetting the balance of the team was also probably a major error. He was undropable after his good start and the reputation he brought. If he had been more savvy in the market, we would have gone up. Fine lines, but he's far from the worst manager we've had and no where near as bad as Swindon or Bury fans made out.

People learn things in life and get better. I expect he will have learned from his mistakes here and will take the good parts with him. There's no reason why, given the right support, he won't be a success at Donny or wherever he goes.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:53 am

ParisStag wrote:I don't think there was much wrong with his tactics, style of play or man management. The football was mostly good to watch, the defence he built was probably the best I've ever seen (which vindicates the formation and tactics) and the dressing-room was in good spirits.

People will criticise his ability to get them up for big occasions, which I think is fair, but for me, his biggest flaw came in transfers, which I am assuming were down to him. Not signing the other striker we needed to get us over the line was fatal. Bringing in Grant and upsetting the balance of the team was also probably a major error. He was undropable after his good start and the reputation he brought. If he had been more savvy in the market, we would have gone up. Fine lines, but he's far from the worst manager we've had and no where near as bad as Swindon or Bury fans made out.

People learn things in life and get better. I expect he will have learned from his mistakes here and will take the good parts with him. There's no reason why, given the right support, he won't be a success at Donny or wherever he goes.

Excellent post.

I liked him, shame it didnt work out
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:35 am

Yep, well said Paris Stag. Flitcroft wasn’t as bad as people have been making out, I think the timing of the dismissal was good for him and why he’s linked with the likes of Donny.

From outside the club it looks like he was sacked unluckily after just missing out in the play offs. Maybe this is true especially given Newport’s equaliser in the first leg but I think the frustration on here is what happened in/post January when many could see what we needed but the issues were not addressed and form suffered as a consequence. Ultimately if we’d held our nerve in the run in we would be having different discussions on here. So unlucky but I feel he made his own luck in the January window.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:47 am

Jesus Christ, in the last 16 games of the season (Feb-May) we only got one more point than Notts County & they were shocking. Why can't people see it!!? The man completely bottled it like he did the previous season & deserved sacking. :roll:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:57 am

Dan wrote:Jesus Christ, in the last 16 games of the season (Feb-May) we only got one more point than Notts County & they were shocking. Why can't people see it!!? The man completely bottled it like he did the previous season & deserved sacking. :roll:

:good_post:

100% accurate, no if, buts or maybe!!

it’s a results based business, JR set out his expectations, he failed he lost his job.
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:00 pm

Dan wrote:Jesus Christ, in the last 16 games of the season (Feb-May) we only got one more point than Notts County & they were shocking. Why can't people see it!!? The man completely bottled it like he did the previous season & deserved sacking. :roll:

I'm not saying he didn't bottle it. He clearly did. What I'm saying is, there were lots of positives to last season, despite the ultimate negative, and that he will take that with him and his experience will strengthen him.

Do I agree that he deserved to be sacked? No.
Was I upset that he was sacked? No.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:03 pm

ParisStag wrote:

I'm not saying he didn't bottle it. He clearly did. What I'm saying is, there were lots of positives to last season, despite the ultimate negative, and that he will take that with him and his experience will strengthen him.

I give up.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:14 pm

Dan wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

I give up.

Delete your account whilst you're giving up.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:19 pm

I don't get it.

In two consecutive seasons with a truckload of investment (in many areas, not just the playing staff) Mansfield Town FC completely blew up what were promotion positions. The latter of which was obtaining one point from three games. Say what you like, that is indefensible, whoever the manager might have been.

He's gone and rightly so.
Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:31 pm

ParisStag wrote:

I'm with you on that one - I said after the Newport debacle at home I'd keep him next season (albeit grudgingly)but was also not unhappy when he got the shove
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:43 pm

James wrote:
Dan wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

I give up.

Delete your account whilst you're giving up.

Bless. Truth clearly hurts eh?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:11 pm

Son Of Sherwood wrote:I don't get it.

In two consecutive seasons with a truckload of investment (in many areas, not just the playing staff) Mansfield Town FC completely blew up what were promotion positions. The latter of which was obtaining one point from three games. Say what you like, that is indefensible, whoever the manager might have been.

He's gone and rightly so.

Isn't it weird how we talk about the last two seasons of 'bottling' it, but on the other hand we're all delighted the players that have been here for those 2 years are still here.
James
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum