{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Flitcroft

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Flitcroft

Postby BilsthorpeStag » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:19 pm

Tommy Lee played drums in Motley Crue. I meant Tommy Miller...
BilsthorpeStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:41 am

stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:05 am

Amazed if he ends up being confirmed at Donny, there’s no 2 ways about it he failed in his time here. Can’t see him pulling up any trees, any manager with anything about them would have got us promoted last season in a very poor league.

I wonder if he will come in for some of our players? He took Preston straight from Swindon when he came here. We don’t want another window of players being unsettled by our former manager.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:19 am

Good luck to him where ever he goes.

I the end he didn’t have enough in his locker even to get that 1 solitary point to get us up but otherwise and exciting season. Like some have said the absence of a plan B screwed us in the end, many teams had rumbled us and set up against us accordingly
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:51 am

BilsthorpeStag wrote:Think Tommy Lee said on the Undr The Cosh podcast that Flitcroft liked to use big words (galvanise) to appear clever but when he wrote big words on a whiteboard in team talks, it was full of spelling mistakes. Gave the impression that players saw straight through him and therefore afforded him little respect.

Probably similar to 100% of the other managers out there ;) Severely doubt any of the players would have noticed anyway :P

Personally I think he'll do OK. Time will tell if he fails or we suddenly remember him in a different light and wish he were back here.
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:22 am

He will suit Donny. I wish him well, unfortunately it didn’t work for him here.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:26 am

Good luck to him, he was so close to succeeding here, hope he learns from the mistakes he’s made as he seems a genuine hardworking bloke.
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Marky Mark » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:44 am

Good luck to him, whatever he does, he's a Plan B away from being a very good manager.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:20 am

BilsthorpeStag wrote:Think Tommy Lee said on the Undr The Cosh podcast that Flitcroft liked to use big words (galvanise) to appear clever but when he wrote big words on a whiteboard in team talks, it was full of spelling mistakes. Gave the impression that players saw straight through him and therefore afforded him little respect.

Galvanise isn’t a big word.

Unless you eat crayons
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:14 pm

Darren Moore now in the frame.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:10 pm

it’s never gonna be Flip Flop not league one anyway
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:32 pm

Flipflop only has himself to blame, plenty tried to tell him he needed a plan B but he pig headedly refused to listen even to people at the club.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:58 pm

jpstags wrote:Flipflop only has himself to blame, plenty tried to tell him he needed a plan B but he pig headedly refused to listen even to people at the club.

still going on about this? it's boring now, move on
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:30 pm

I liked Flitcroft but I took a mate to a couple of Stags home games halfway through the season to games we had just won. A football follower of many years, my mate liked what he saw from the team but in conclusion he stated, the manager is too negative even when winning and could cost you. How true he was.
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby spanishstag » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:32 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
jpstags wrote:Flipflop only has himself to blame, plenty tried to tell him he needed a plan B but he pig headedly refused to listen even to people at the club.

still going on about this? it's boring now, move on
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:33 pm

Flitcroft, JFH, Moore and Appleton are being interviewed tomorrow apparently.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:40 pm

Flitcroft is seriously not rated within the football world so it would be a surprise appointment - wish him all the best though, he gave his all for Mansfield but it was not good enough.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:39 pm

Conker wrote:Flitcroft is seriously not rated within the football world so it would be a surprise appointment - wish him all the best though, he gave his all for Mansfield but it was not good enough.
On what criteria do you base that on Conker ? Have you been on a relevant selection panel ? When the Scottish Manager left us in the lurch JR had no hesitation in securing DF's services ( even paying compensation). Are you saying JR and his advisors were out of touch ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:47 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Conker wrote:Flitcroft is seriously not rated within the football world so it would be a surprise appointment - wish him all the best though, he gave his all for Mansfield but it was not good enough.
On what criteria do you base that on Conker ? Have you been on a relevant selection panel ? When the Scottish Manager left us in the lurch JR had no hesitation in securing DF's services ( even paying compensation). Are you saying JR and his advisors were out of touch ?

Flitcroft was good enough the players let him down but hopefully this year we might score a few
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:07 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

Conker is talking absolute tosh
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:21 pm

I think the downside of DF getting the Donny job is that it could impact on us. I could see the likes of CJ, Benning and Preston being tempted away. I know they are under contract, but it could be unsettling, similar to the Danny Rose thing last season. I could also imagine Tyler Walker going there on loan.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:50 pm

He’s not been successful for a while, football is very fickle and the only proper success is his promotion with big spending Bury (shame he didn’t manage that for us)

I don’t think JR is very good at all at appointing managers, the only success was Paul Cox and he’s been here ten? years now.

Sorry to upset the pro-Flitcroft apple cart Andy, it’s a tough old world.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:09 pm

Conker wrote:He’s not been successful for a while, football is very fickle and the only proper success is his promotion with big spending Bury (shame he didn’t manage that for us)

I don’t think JR is very good at all at appointing managers, the only success was Paul Cox and he’s been here ten? years now.

You are a tease !
But seriously finishing fourth, one point from promotion and loosing on penalties in the playoff semi final and you don't count that as success? Ask fans from any other club about the sacking of DF and 90% will say it was madness.
I don't particularly want to get on that subject, but ask yourself if as you say he is SERIOUSLY not rated in the football world, why is he on Doncaster's shortlist of three?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Field Mill » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:50 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Conker wrote:He’s not been successful for a while, football is very fickle and the only proper success is his promotion with big spending Bury (shame he didn’t manage that for us)

You are a tease !
But seriously finishing fourth, one point from promotion and loosing on penalties in the playoff semi final and you don't count that as success? Ask fans from any other club about the sacking of DF and 90% will say it was madness.
I don't particularly want to get on that subject, but ask yourself if as you say he is SERIOUSLY not rated in the football world, why is he on Doncaster's shortlist of three?

Come on Andy. The surrender in his first season was a disgrace. Anyone with a Level 1 coaching badge could have got us into the Play Offs from that position. Last time out? Huge budget and tailed off in the last twelve to a pathetic extent. No manager has ever had money on that scale since our return and his caution was pathetic. Nice guy fine, but not a manager. 'Respect the point' is fine when you've not had the money he got but woeful when you are backed to the extent he was. And let's not go there on his January dealings...
Field Mill
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:25 pm

Field Mill wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

You are a tease !

Come on Andy. The surrender in his first season was a disgrace. Anyone with a Level 1 coaching badge could have got us into the Play Offs from that position. Last time out? Huge budget and tailed off in the last twelve to a pathetic extent. No manager has ever had money on that scale since our return and his caution was pathetic. Nice guy fine, but not a manager. 'Respect the point' is fine when you've not had the money he got but woeful when you are backed to the extent he was. And let's not go there on his January dealings...
It always makes me smile when people talk about the budget. Does anyone know outside the club how much the budget exactly was. Also the eleven on the pitch didn't change substantially apart from the injuries. So was it all the managers fault, or did nerves of the players have a part to play. Lincoln kept faith with their manager who narrowly failed to get them over the line. Notts County sacked their manager who narrowly failed to get them over the line. Lincoln got promoted whilst Notts County were relegated. Maybe where we finish next season will indicate if DF was fully to blame :)
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum