{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

John Radford interview: Thu 4 July

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: John Radford interview: Thu 4 July

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:21 am

Just to be clear, I'm not saying Radford was right or wrong to appoint Dempster, just doesn't seem to have been much research done into it.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:24 am

MTFCMusings wrote:To answer both of the above, yes. It's like going to a hairdresser but not knowing if they can cut your hair the way you want it cut.

It's slightly different with Flitcroft and Evans as they are experience managers with a track record.

I'm sure JR kept harping on about that one bury game where they schooled us and that was one of the reasons he was appointed
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:25 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Just to be clear, I'm not saying Radford was right or wrong to appoint Dempster, just doesn't seem to have been much research done into it.

It’s winning youth title three out of four years count for anything.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:28 am

part time pete wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Just to be clear, I'm not saying Radford was right or wrong to appoint Dempster, just doesn't seem to have been much research done into it.

That's the reason he's got the job by the sounds of the interview.

JR admitted he'd only seen three or four games, all of which they had lost, so he hasn't seen much.

Of course you can only beat what is put in front of you, but the level of opposition hasn't been great at youth level.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:33 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
part time pete wrote:

JR admitted he'd only seen three or four games, all of which they had lost, so he hasn't seen much.

Of course you can only beat what is put in front of you, but the level of opposition hasn't been great at youth level.

Who do you think weve been playing woodhouse imps and robin hood colts ?
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:39 am

MTFCMAD wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
part time pete wrote:

It's the third tier of youth football as I understand, so we've been up against teams who haven't got the same youth infrastructure in place as ourselves.

As I say, I'm not saying the appointment was right or wrong, but to employ a manager who you don't seem to volunteer much information about seems strange to me.

It's a risk. Could work our like Ryan Lowe at Bury, could work out like Ross Eames at Barnet.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:48 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
part time pete wrote:

It's the third tier of youth football as I understand, so we've been up against teams who haven't got the same youth infrastructure in place as ourselves.

As I say, I'm not saying the appointment was right or wrong, but to employ a manager who you don't seem to volunteer much information about seems strange to me.

It's a risk. Could work our like Ryan Lowe at Bury, could work out like Ross Eames at Barnet.

Weve been playing Huddersfield, Notts County, Rotherham, Oldham, Lincoln, Bradford, burton Albion. All teams with youth academy's similar to ours.

Maybe do some research as you dont have much knowledge about what your typing about.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:03 am

Do you really think that it's comparable to mens first team football?

Of course I'm aware of the teams we have been playing, but I don't think you can compare the two.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:15 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Do you really think that it's comparable to mens first team football?

Of course I'm aware of the teams we have been playing, but I don't think you can compare the two.

Thats not what you said though is it.

You said that our youth team had been playing teams not comparable to ourselvs which is untrue.

Ofcourse youth team managements a step up from first team management i dont think no ones debating that.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:21 am

MTFCMAD wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Do you really think that it's comparable to mens first team football?

You said that our youth team had been playing teams not comparable to ourselvs which is untrue.

Ofcourse youth team managements a step up from first team management i dont think no ones debating that.

Yes I stand by that, I don't believe the teams we have been playing have the same emphasis on youth as ourselves.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:22 am

MTFCMAD wrote:

T'lad meks it up as he goes along
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:46 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:A bit worrying in the video that he says he’s only seen Dempsters teams on a handful of occasions. Not really sure how that qualified Dempster for the job.

Hopefully it will be a masterstroke but it didn’t sound to me as if too much research into Dempster was done.

And how many times do you think he had seen Paul Cox’s, Adam Murray’s, Steve Evan’s and David Flitcroft’s teams play. The other teams under our umbrella, for which Dempster was in charge of, mainly played on Saturday’s when the first team were in action.

Like probably every other chairman in the country below the championship, he went on results and feedback, with the added bonus of having known and worked with him personally for 8 years.

As for not much research, you do know that Dempster’s whole coaching career has been at OUR club don’t you. JR will have had every result Dempster has had at his fingertips.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:51 pm

Big yella wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:A bit worrying in the video that he says he’s only seen Dempsters teams on a handful of occasions. Not really sure how that qualified Dempster for the job.

Hopefully it will be a masterstroke but it didn’t sound to me as if too much research into Dempster was done.

And how many times do you think he had seen Paul Cox’s, Adam Murray’s, Steve Evan’s and David Flitcroft’s teams play. The other teams under our umbrella, for which Dempster was in charge of, mainly played on Saturday’s when the first team were in action.

Like probably every other chairman in the country below the championship, he went on results and feedback, with the added bonus of having known and worked with him personally for 8 years.

As for not much research, you do know that Dempster’s whole coaching career has been at OUR club don’t you. JR will have had every result Dempster has had at his fingertips.

Paul Cox don't know, Adam Murray was a carbon copy of the Dempster appointment, could go either way. Evans and Flitcroft had a CV with promotion on it so they would have been the selling point.

Anyway, my last word on the matter, it's pretty clear Dempster has been chosen not based on any tactical approach he may bring, but his ability to man manage. Let us see how he goes, best of luck JD.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:09 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Paul Cox don't know, Adam Murray was a carbon copy of the Dempster appointment, could go either way. Evans and Flitcroft had a CV with promotion on it so they would have been the selling point.

Anyway, my last word on the matter, it's pretty clear Dempster has been chosen not based on any tactical approach he may bring, but his ability to man manage. Let us see how he goes, best of luck JD.

So like I said he would have seen very little of any of his appointments, just like every other chairman, yet you think it’s a cause for worry. Kudos for the insight Jose.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:17 pm

Big yella wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:

So like I said he would have seen very little of any of his appointments, just like every other chairman, yet you think it’s a cause for worry. Kudos for the insight Jose.

Yeah, 'cos you are well versed on just what level of diligence any chairman in football will go through when appointing a manager aren't you...
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Big yella » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:37 pm

WVStag wrote:
Big yella wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Yeah, 'cos you are well versed on just what level of diligence any chairman in football will go through when appointing a manager aren't you...

It’s comm sense that no chairman will have watched a new managers side very often, which was the point,not the amount of diligence, as most appointments are made within a couple of weeks of the previous incumbent leaving and until then the chairman will have been watching his own side. There’s uproar and suspicion of him selling up on here if JR misses two games on the trot.

With the caveat of having worked with him before.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:55 pm

We met John Dempster today after the training session. We spoke about those rainy away days at small grounds in the conference years and the joy of Hereford and them putting food on for kiddy fans etc. And getting over the line finally against Wrexham . He was very genuine and understood the graft needed to keep going till the final match of the season. He seems like he understands us fans . I must admit I didn’t want Flitcroft to go so soon but meeting the team and staff around them today I was very impressed by their togetherness and team spirit.. we all felt part of this great club. Well done M.T.F.C.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum