{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Joe Quigley On Trial

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Joe Quigley On Trial

Postby yorkstag » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:32 pm

I’m surprised at Yorkshire Stags comments given his usual positivity.

However I’m prepared to listen to all views - yorkshire could you remind me of your coaching qualifications?

Let the people that know make the decisions. Remember Matt Rhead?
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:40 pm

yorkstag wrote:I’m surprised at Yorkshire Stags comments given his usual positivity.

However I’m prepared to listen to all views - yorkshire could you remind me of your coaching qualifications?

maybe around nearly every non league coach in the South that’s had him and let him go Yorkie?

his record is extremely poor against non league opposition fact!, sorry it’s a joke
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:04 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
yorkstag wrote:I’m surprised at Yorkshire Stags comments given his usual positivity.

maybe around nearly every non league coach in the South that’s had him and let him go Yorkie?

his record is extremely poor against non league opposition fact!, sorry it’s a joke

But what is a joke? What have they done other than give someone a week with the squad.
There are countless professionals who have done nothing early in their career. They either drop down the leagues until they find their level or drop out. Every now and then one of them comes good. Just look at the Glen Hoddle Academy and its successes.

I am pleased that our new management team are looking at different ways of adding to the squad.
In terms of it being a joke, i couldn't judge that unless i knew why he had failed and more about him. I suspect we will not see him in the amber and blue but good on JD for looking far and wide
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:11 pm

"Going for promotion". Thought that ambition died when we appointed our academy manager to the top job.Think a lot of people are going to be disappointed this season. I'll be happy with not doing a Notts County.
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby jpstags » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:18 pm

bigalstag wrote:"Going for promotion". Thought that ambition died when we appointed our academy manager to the top job.Think a lot of people are going to be disappointed this season. I'll be happy with not doing a Notts County.

I wish we had appointed our academy manager to the top job with four games of last season left, we might of been in league 1 now.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkstag » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:40 pm

bigalstag wrote:"Going for promotion". Thought that ambition died when we appointed our academy manager to the top job.Think a lot of people are going to be disappointed this season. I'll be happy with not doing a Notts County.

Is this a spoof post?

We will get promoted this season . Dempster was a great appointment
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Norman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:11 pm

yorkstag wrote:

Is this a spoof post?

Let’s wait and see . Me I’m very optimistic . I will comment at Christmas!
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Norman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:13 pm

Why are we wasting money on a player by taking him to Portugal, when he’s been released by Bromley fgs!
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:58 am

Norman wrote:Why are we wasting money on a player by taking him to Portugal, when he’s been released by Bromley fgs!
In terms of the overall spend this season it's a drop in the ocean.

You are also assuming that the player is not contributing. He may have asked for a trial and been willing to cover his own costs.

Just wait and see what transpires. Chances are he will be found to be of a standard below what we are looking for and he will move on to lower down the pyramid.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:38 am

Norman wrote:Why are we wasting money on a player by taking him to Portugal, when he’s been released by Bromley fgs!

Exactly this . It may only be a trial but 10 days in a nice hotel in Portugal for a player with his record seems a very generous one . Hope it's not Demosters first error of judgement .
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:31 am

Could there be more to this.

For instance, could an agent have suggested the idea in order to get a player his client fit snd as part of an arrangement with the club etc, pure speculation but everything isn't always as it appears. The announcement could have been made because it would soon become apparent there was a new face at training, I don't think for a minute he is a genuine trialist.
Last edited by oldweststander on Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:40 am

yorkstag wrote:

Is this a spoof post?

But if you wanted the best chance of winning at a bookies, then you'd pick the favourite, as they have a track record that speaks for itself. Dempsey is new to this level so I don't think he qualifies as one, imo.

No disrespect to Dempsey & I will back him all the way. However, I think appointing a rookie manager and expecting promotion might be stretching things too far? I'll definitely hope for it, but if he gets us top 10 then he'll have done OK. I guess time will prove how stupid I am, but I'd bet many know already! :P
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:41 am

Give the lad a chance. He’s on trial for a reason, whether it’s through ability, contacts or whatever reason we don’t know. If he shines then brilliant and if he doesn’t send him off and wish him well.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:51 am

Jimstag wrote:Give the lad a chance. He’s on trial for a reason, whether it’s through ability, contacts or whatever reason we don’t know. If he shines then brilliant and if he doesn’t send him off and wish him well.

Common sense at last. Good post
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Norman » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:16 am

yorkstag wrote:
Jimstag wrote:Give the lad a chance. He’s on trial for a reason, whether it’s through ability, contacts or whatever reason we don’t know. If he shines then brilliant and if he doesn’t send him off and wish him well.

9 none league clubs have given him a chance and he’s done nowt!
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Aspleystag » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:20 am

Alternatively could the centre forward that they are looking to sign be a similar style of player so they want to trial a style of play with two big lads up front in Portugal but werent able to sign the second forward in time. So he is a stand in.
Aspleystag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:47 am

Norman wrote:
yorkstag wrote:

Ey up - Happy Larry’s back!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:53 am

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
yorkstag wrote:

Is this a spoof post?

But if you wanted the best chance of winning at a bookies, then you'd pick the favourite, as they have a track record that speaks for itself. Dempsey is new to this level so I don't think he qualifies as one, imo.

No disrespect to Dempsey & I will back him all the way. However, I think appointing a rookie manager and expecting promotion might be stretching things too far? I'll definitely hope for it, but if he gets us top 10 then he'll have done OK. I guess time will prove how stupid I am, but I'd bet many know already! :P

All but one of the promotions Stags have won in my lifetime have been with rookie or at least inexperienced managers. I'd sooner have a rookie than a serial failure plucked off the carousel.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:08 am

Norman wrote:
yorkstag wrote:

Sam Clucas - Leicester City, Nettleham, Lincoln City, Jerez Industrial, GH academy, Hereford United.

Dwight Gayle - Arsenal, Ryan, Stansted, Dagenham, Bishop Stortford, Peterborough United.

Charlie Austin - Reading, Kintbury Rangers, Hungerford, Thatchha, Town, Poole, Swindon.

Just three examples of players who played for numerous non league club who we would all love to play for us and one of the, did play for us.

Instead of moaning like a petulant spoilt child just be supportive. It’s only a trial not a four year contract.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:29 am

Why are some people expecting a 22 year old to have had the season of their career already.

Some of his loans were as a teenager.

He won't be our talisman, Cook is. Doesn't mean he hasn't got a future.

If Demps, who is good with young players as we know, thinks he can get some tunes out of him, the good stuff we'll sign him. If not, we'll move on.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:46 am

Sneag wrote:All but one of the promotions Stags have won in my lifetime have been with rookie or at least inexperienced managers. I'd sooner have a rookie than a serial failure plucked off the carousel.

I'm not saying it can't happen Sneagy, but a rookie gaining promotion is the exception to the rule in terms of rookies that have failed. True, we've probably had more success with newbie managers, because that's because they form the vast majority of our managerial appointments ;)

Nothing is guaranteed, but the words 'rookie' and 'expecting promotion' don't go together imo
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:19 am

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
Sneag wrote:All but one of the promotions Stags have won in my lifetime have been with rookie or at least inexperienced managers. I'd sooner have a rookie than a serial failure plucked off the carousel.

I'm not saying it can't happen Sneagy, but a rookie gaining promotion is the exception to the rule in terms of rookies that have failed. True, we've probably had more success with newbie managers, because that's because they form the vast majority of our managerial appointments ;)

Nothing is guaranteed, but the words 'rookie' and 'expecting promotion' don't go together imo

Also luck comes into the success equation. No injuries to key players, playing teams at the right time, hitting quickly on to a successful formula etc.

Some managers are lucky. I do agreehowever, that expecting promotion from an inexperienced manager in his first season is a big ask ( despite what the chairman says ).
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby PaulG » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:32 am

In 56 years of supporting Stags, I've never gone into any season expecting or assuming anything! There's no point, because no matter how good a squad you've got, there are too many variables (injuries, loss of form, simple bad luck.....) to be sure of anything. That's part of the joy of football; its unpredictability. But, it's by no means uncommon for a rookie manager to come up trumps so, as ever, I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll have an interesting season.
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sneag » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:12 pm

It all started with Billy Bingham. The safe pair of hands appointed to keep us in division 2. Won his first game then lost about 6 on the trot without us even scoring! Shoulda stuck with Peter Morris. :D
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:37 pm

Well done to Tippy Tappy for the title of this thread "Joe Quigley On Trial" coudn't be more apt looking at the posts on here......he's certainly guilty of being a non-footballer and the black caps have been put on by the stagsnet jury.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum