{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Portugal

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Portugal

Postby geoffhill » Tue May 21, 2019 8:21 am

As I see it we have nothing to talk about.People are bored.Hylton for me by the way.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Tue May 21, 2019 9:01 am

Back to Portugal, do we know the fixtures?
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:06 pm

Any news on fixtures etc
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:02 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Complete waste of money this trip the players don’t respond or play any better for all this pre season stuff and overnight stays.... don’t get me started
We are MTFC not Man City FC
If they can get to league 1 then maybe raise the treAts and team bonding
Go carts and the like we’re useless for these players who only needed a flipping draw !!

How do you know they don't help? You don't... We might have finished 10th without all the pampering...

I agree with nick. This kind of trip wont make any difference to the budget. It's exactly the kind of thing rich owners can do without FFP coming into it.

Also if they deny JD the same support / freedom the last 2/3 gaffers got there will be fans moaning and criticising the owners for not backing him fairly.

I fail to see how a week together in the sun wont help team building/ bonding. To suggest it's a waste of money is purely based on ones own view and isn't based on any fact, data or anything else. If JD wants to do it and the club are prepared to pay for it, then fair enough.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:34 pm

And the season before !!!
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:21 pm

The Malta and Portugal trips were a complete waste of money for me. I'm sure there are cheaper options for building team spirit. Paul Cox managed to put together a side that finished in the Play Offs and then won the league by having a weekend in Skegness.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:25 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:The Malta and Portugal trips were a complete waste of money for me. I'm sure there are cheaper options for building team spirit. Paul Cox managed to put together a side that finished in the Play Offs and then won the league by having a weekend in Skegness.

Waste of money for you. Did you foot the bill for them ???
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby tuopolfpilf » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:55 am

Maybe set up an Affiliate club link ,SLB ,Porto ???
Far better than Malta
tuopolfpilf
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Foresttownstag » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:14 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:The Malta and Portugal trips were a complete waste of money for me. I'm sure there are cheaper options for building team spirit. Paul Cox managed to put together a side that finished in the Play Offs and then won the league by having a weekend in Skegness.

Out of interest did you go to either Malta or Portugal?
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:17 am

They oughta be sending them on real bonding stuff outdoors, on Dartmoor or the Beacons with the Army or Marines. Leave your phones and multimedia sources behind for a week and really rely on your team mates. All this fannying about in pleasure pools and doing a few keepy uppies for a week whilst dashing back to their phones to see who's been disrespecting them on Facebook never bonded anyone.

A 20 mile yomp before lunch would get them encouraging each other and at the end of the week they'd think we've got through this together.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:47 am

With the biggest budget in our history at the time...
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:16 am

The Malta and Portugal trips were great for the fans but financially they are difficult to justify. Malta must have cost the club/JR a fortune. Portugal might have been better value for money as there are places over there who cater for these kind of summer training camps.

I agree with Tater'. Send them on an Outward Bounds/Army outdoors experience or even get them working together on a local charity project.

Eddie Howe once took his Burnley players sheep herding. I don't think it worked out as well as he planned though. :lol:

Neil Warnock always liked to take his players to Cornwall as he had a house down there.

Didn't one of our managers arrange a pre-season trip to Scotland?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:37 pm

I just think like the overnight stops its all very nice for the Radford's to support this stance and I appreciate that professional touch for the club and for them it is probably financially possible but surely where any savings can be made we should take that route and place that funding into the posh striker wage demand or start Bishop Street Stand re vamp fund!!
Once in league one re introduce the treats maybe !!
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:50 pm

I very much doubt any money spent on Malta is out of club funds.
We are only allowed to spend so much and I'm sure the Radfords have a club budget and a perk budget.
To me it shows how far we have come in our owners.
I'd love to work for them.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Aspleystag » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:45 pm

So many negative vibes man.......
Aspleystag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:49 pm

Aspleystag wrote:So many negative vibes man.......

this message board is generally filled with negative opinions but luckily only represents a small portion of the fan base.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:06 am

I can see both sides of this debate and think if the club want to do it, why not?.

I do think some of the overnight trips are unnecessary and can have a negative effect. We have to remember these players have private lives and over nighters definitely interrupt your domestic routine. It's not too bad for the younger players but for the ones with young families it can be a chore.

At the end of the day, we work to live not live to work and ultimately this is their jobs.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:39 pm

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:56 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:37 am

a younger looking Gareth Bale and Robert Lewandowski in the highlights.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MOTG » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:59 pm

How many fans are going, anybody got any info ?
I’m personally not but hope all that are have a great time.
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:19 pm

forecast snow next week
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:23 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:The Malta and Portugal trips were great for the fans but financially they are difficult to justify. Malta must have cost the club/JR a fortune. Portugal might have been better value for money as there are places over there who cater for these kind of summer training camps.

I agree with Tater'. Send them on an Outward Bounds/Army outdoors experience or even get them working together on a local charity project.

Eddie Howe once took his Burnley players sheep herding. I don't think it worked out as well as he planned though. :lol:

Neil Warnock always liked to take his players to Cornwall as he had a house down there.

Didn't one of our managers arrange a pre-season trip to Scotland?

After a very bad performance one of our managers took the players down a local coal mine to show them how the supporters earned the money to come and watch them play .. Probably around the late 70s .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:31 pm

Bill Dearden used to take them to the the Peak District.

I hope we can get the other striker signed before they go on their "holiday" to Portugal.

If JR is happy to fund it and the squad benefit from it, then why not ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:37 pm

I don't think there's a negative aspect to going overseas for a training camp, other than it being a financial outlay. Good team bonding and helps to focus on things.

Not a fan of the overnight stays for anywhere close than 3 hours drive on a bus. It sounds daft, and zero bearing on any results but I never get a decent night sleeps when I'm stopping over somewhere for work.
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum