{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Dempsters First Signing !

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Dempsters First Signing !

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:23 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Field Mill wrote:Not bothered when we sign as long as we have everyone in place for pre season. Hope our recruitment criteria leads to a few more who won't bottle it within the squad.

'Are you a bottler?'

'No boss'

'Well done, sign this contract'
Musings, I think you are being a little flippant regarding Field Mill's comment.

You know as well as I do that there are skilful talented players who arnt up for the fight at the business end of the season.

It's all about the right recruitment for league 2. I hope JD's right hand man has the experience to sign us the right players.

Field Mill is right what he says.

There is absolutely no possible way that you can measure whether someone has 'bottle' or not.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:02 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Field Mill wrote:Not bothered when we sign as long as we have everyone in place for pre season. Hope our recruitment criteria leads to a few more who won't bottle it within the squad.

'Are you a bottler?'

'No boss'

'Well done, sign this contract'
Musings, I think you are being a little flippant regarding Field Mill's comment.

You know as well as I do that there are skilful talented players who arnt up for the fight at the business end of the season.

It's all about the right recruitment for league 2. I hope JD's right hand man has the experience to sign us the right players.

Field Mill is right what he says.

There is absolutely no possible way that you can measure whether someone has 'bottle' or not.
Of course there is. It is based on how players deal with important games such as promotion and relegation.

It is important that we have the right person and scouting system to identify these type of players.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:21 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
tibby wrote:We were successful?

accomplishing a desired aim or result

Not sure what team you were watching, but it certainly wasn’t mansfield

We were not successful

Actually it was Mansfield I was watching.

As WVStag has pointed out other teams will view a team that has finished fourth is a success. They will want to sign our better players. It happens every season to teams who almost achieve promotion.

I hope they have deep pockets then as all the players bar three (Mellis, Turner, Olejnik) are contracted for another season.

The chief at Salford has the means to dig deep ! ;)

But since there under contract we can always say no ;)

Yes it will be JR's decision. If a right bid comes in then we should fully consider it.

What we don't want is to refuse good offers and then the players leave for free at the end of the season.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:51 pm

[quote="yorkshire stag"]replacing young Wacka is JDs most important purchase, it’s vital he gets that one right, Glover i feel will be key to recruitment, speaking to a Donkeys fan he was central to their signings last season, it’s defiantly a different strategy to the last few seasons anyway, quality not quantity is key, let’s see who he brings in before we

Quality players will have numerous options open to them and their agents will be touting for the best possible deal . But do you sign for a Rookie manager and take a risk he’s going to be still around 6 months into the season or do you sign for a well respected manager/bigger club ?? Salford , Plymouth , Bradford etc will be a bigger draw for a player than Mansfield ..
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:05 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:replacing young Wacka is JDs most important purchase, it’s vital he gets that one right, Glover i feel will be key to recruitment, speaking to a Donkeys fan he was central to their signings last season, it’s defiantly a different strategy to the last few seasons anyway, quality not quantity is key, let’s see who he brings in before we

Quality players will have numerous options open to them and their agents will be touting for the best possible deal . But do you sign for a Rookie manager and take a risk he’s going to be still around 6 months into the season or do you sign for a well respected manager/bigger club ?? Salford , Plymouth , Bradford etc will be a bigger draw for a player than Mansfield ..

How can you even think that Salford are a bigger club than Mansfield? The only way they would be a bigger draw is if they paid much bigger wages. Wait till the old Man U players get fed up and lose interest and see what happens then. I wager we will be in the championship before them but I guess only time will tell.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:38 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:replacing young Wacka is JDs most important purchase, it’s vital he gets that one right, Glover i feel will be key to recruitment, speaking to a Donkeys fan he was central to their signings last season, it’s defiantly a different strategy to the last few seasons anyway, quality not quantity is key, let’s see who he brings in before we

How can you even think that Salford are a bigger club than Mansfield? The only way they would be a bigger draw is if they paid much bigger wages. Wait till the old Man U players get fed up and lose interest and see what happens then. I wager we will be in the championship before them but I guess only time will tell.

I said bigger draw for a player and at this moment in time and with the Man Utd connection Salford will be a bigger attraction for any ambitious player
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Aspleystag » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:46 pm

Salfords average attendance as 2489 hardly a bigger team than us
Aspleystag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:25 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:

I said bigger draw for a player and at this moment in time and with the Man Utd connection Salford will be a bigger attraction for any ambitious player

That may be what you meant but is not what you said. You talked about more respected managers and bigger clubs. Last time I looked Salford wasn't a manager.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:30 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:

That may be what you meant but is not what you said. You talked about more respected managers and bigger clubs. Last time I looked Salford wasn't a manager.

To be fair, it is literally exactly what he said. Salford have a well respected manager.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:43 pm

We clearly offer seriously big wages for this level, as I’m sure Salford will do but it gets more difficult for them the higher they get, look at their squad from last season despite all that money spent its desperately lacking in quality for this level but I’m sure they will rectify that.

No worries from our end though, it’s well known in the football world that this is a good club that pays well, it’s just people getting all nervy because we haven’t signed anybody yet despite our squad being nearly 20 deep.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:47 pm

Although a lot of our fans think we failed last season other clubs won't view it like that. The ones that want success and have the finances will be looking at our players. Was it four that were named in the league 2 team? These things don't go unnoticed. Some of the teams promoted to league 1 and established league1 clubs will be looking at our players. Luckily, as already pointed out, most are under contract, but that won't stop clubs making a bid. Indeed some of our players may be tempted by the chance of playing in league1, having thought they were destined to be there but sadly missing out. They may want to go to a club who have a better chance of promotion. Usually when teams just fail, they lose quite a few of their players. It happened to us when we lost in the playoff final to Huddersfield.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:50 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Although a lot of our fans think we failed last season other clubs won't view it like that. The ones that want success and have the finances will be looking at our players. Was it four that were named in the league 2 team? These things don't go unnoticed. Some of the teams promoted to league 1 and established league1 clubs will be looking at our players. Luckily, as already pointed out, most are under contract, but that won't stop clubs making a bid. Indeed some of our players may be tempted by the chance of playing in league1, having thought they were destined to be there but sadly missing out. They may want to go to a club who have a better chance of promotion. Usually when teams just fail, they lose quite a few of their players. It happened to us when we lost in the playoff final to Huddersfield.

The majority of that team had moves sorted before the play-off final kicked off.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:23 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Although a lot of our fans think we failed last season other clubs won't view it like that. The ones that want success and have the finances will be looking at our players. Was it four that were named in the league 2 team? These things don't go unnoticed. Some of the teams promoted to league 1 and established league1 clubs will be looking at our players. Luckily, as already pointed out, most are under contract, but that won't stop clubs making a bid. Indeed some of our players may be tempted by the chance of playing in league1, having thought they were destined to be there but sadly missing out. They may want to go to a club who have a better chance of promotion. Usually when teams just fail, they lose quite a few of their players. It happened to us when we lost in the playoff final to Huddersfield.

Andy, your talking like this scenario is inevitable and we can’t do anything to stop these “bigger” teams taking what ever talent they want away from us.

It’s not something we really need to worry about as the only realistic contracted player were likely to lose IMO is CJ but this will be for a big transfer fee.

The others I feel won’t be sold unless an absurd offer is made which I doubt any buying club will be willing to make.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:51 am

MTFCMusings wrote:

The majority of that team had moves sorted before the play-off final kicked off.

We also had an owner who didn't give a raspberries about the welfare of the club at that point.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby No Breaks Allowed » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:42 pm

Last edited by No Breaks Allowed on Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No Breaks Allowed
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:43 pm

No Breaks Allowed wrote:https://twitter.com/transfernew5now/status/1139194324258869249

10 followers to that twitter account.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby kwambo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:44 pm

Not sure on the Barnsley link. They have just signed Luke Thomas from derby for £1.2m after he had a season on loan at Coventry and plays same position as cj
kwambo
First Team
First Team

Postby No Breaks Allowed » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:45 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
No Breaks Allowed wrote:https://twitter.com/transfernew5now/status/1139194324258869249

At minute I’ll take anything!
No Breaks Allowed
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:45 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

Is it a Done deal Martin ? :P
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:47 pm

No Breaks Allowed wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

it isn't anything. It's made up. :lol:
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby No Breaks Allowed » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:03 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
No Breaks Allowed wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

it isn't anything. It's made up. :lol:

Yes Martin I know! But when we’ve not had sniff of a link to any players, gives us something to talk about for 5 minutes at least, whether it’s true or not...
No Breaks Allowed
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Dan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:57 am

Johnny H wrote:New signing to be announced later today or tomorrow.
Been at the club this afternoon for photos etc.
Signed from an established Premiership team if I'm right and not a position I expected to sign player for.

Tick tock :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:36 am

Dan wrote:
Signed from an established Premiership team if I'm right and not a position I expected to sign player for.

At least Johnny H knows what he's on about any way :D :D :D :D :D
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:19 pm

WVStag wrote:
Dan wrote:

At least Johnny H knows what he's on about any way :D :D :D :D :D
To be fair to Johnny H, he didn't say which club he'd been at or for that matter which today or tomorrow!

Most clubs have players in mind who they want to sign way before the season ends.

It's probably a case of DF's targets are not JD's targets. If they had been I'm sure we would have had at least one significant signing by now. Or it could be that JD has been given a smaller budget and needs to shop at Aldi rather than Sainburys! Or maybe the players don't want to come because we have had a change of manager or that we remain in league 2.

There are many possibilities, but I must admit I can't wait for the first signing to be announced.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:38 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Is it a Done deal Martin ? :P

He Done Know :lol:
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum